IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, how could Steve not have seen the news about the Duggers. The forward to the book and the photos with the Duggers are still up on the blog. No scrubbing yet, so maybe they are supportive of them?

And this is why she needs an actual editor rather than just a proofreader. All authors tend towards using certain words, but a good editor catches these things. A certain level of self-awareness and familiarity with Ctrl+F can help writers find these things themselves, but I doubt it's ever even crossed Sarah's mind that this is something to be fixed.

Yes, I guarantee that Sarah has never heard of tombstoning in the editing sense.

I know there are so many other more important things to snark about with the Maxwells, but as a professional writer, I am so irked by the fact that Sarah "writes but doesn't read," and is in no need of an editor because of her grade 12 diploma from Dad and Mom.

Yes, I guarantee that Sarah has never heard of tombstoning in the editing sense.

I know there are so many other more important things to snark about with the Maxwells, but as a professional writer, I am so irked by the fact that Sarah "writes but doesn't read," and is in no need of an editor because of her grade 12 diploma from Dad and Mom.

An author who "writes, but does not read" sounds like a satirical character straight out of an Oscar Wilde work.

And this is why she needs an actual editor rather than just a proofreader. All authors tend towards using certain words, but a good editor catches these things. A certain level of self-awareness and familiarity with Ctrl+F can help writers find these things themselves, but I doubt it's ever even crossed Sarah's mind that this is something to be fixed.

"Dumped" has annoyed the hell out of me on the blog. In the Uk, we dump rubbish, or kids dump bags, coats, etc. It means "to discard" or to leave carelessly, mainly. It also means to have a shit, but...... :mrgreen:

"Dumped" has annoyed the hell out of me on the blog. In the Uk, we dump rubbish, or kids dump bags, coats, etc. It means "to discard" or to leave carelessly, mainly. It also means to have a shit, but...... :mrgreen:

When I first came to the US I had to have the terms "scratch cake" (not made from a box or packet) and "dump cake" (limited ingredients, easy preparation and often involving tinned fruit) explained to me. They both sounded extremely unappetizing.

"Dump cake" sounds like a euphemism for something you step in when a dog owner fails to clean up after their pooch... :lol:

There must be some blog somewhere urging all good Christians to come to the aid of Sarah because in the last 3 days there have been 6 reviews added that are 4 or 5 stars, including one proclaiming "This book is phenominal !!!!" That particular reviewer is claiming the reason why people give Sarah a 1 star review is because they do not love and fear the Lord. Nothing to do with the crap that is in between the covers-- just us infidels making war on Christians again.

Back to the book itself.

Twin2:

This is made out to be a Moody family favorite. Oddly enough towards the end of the book, when Mollie screws up her cookies, her mother encourages her by saying when she first got married she only knew how to cook packaged food. But now, thanks to encouragement for Dad Almighty, she has learned to cook fresh food from scratch. Still trying to figure out what is fresh or from scratch about this....

Good catch. I remember that scene because it made me think that Teri never learned to cook and has no interest in food. She went to college and didn't major in home economics but sometime after they got married Steve must have started complaining. In the book the mom says the dad helped her by giving her some cookbooks. Not teaching her his favorite recipes or taking cooking classes together or having his mom show her, no he just told her to teach herself. But like so many other full time moms with big broods that claim the girls should be mommies and homemakers instead of perusing a career the Maxwell girls are not inspiring cooks. Bean burritos and green smoothies. I'm so glad they didn't go to college because the family would have been denied this luxurious display of gourmet cooking. :roll: Funny how my mom worked full time as a nurse yet managed to teach me to bake and cook without resorting to boxes of mix or cans of glop.

I tease Mr Alba sometimes because a lot of innocent words and phrases in North American English have ruder or more crass implications in UK English: dump, fanny [pack], pants, etc. (note to all North Americans: Never, ever, ever complain about having wet pants after being caught in the rain in Britain. Just don't). Then again, profanity seems to be more acceptable, and I had to explain to my co-worker why many Americans even consider "damn" a swear word.

On a sidenote, this discussion is reminding me of that Digging in with the Duggars where the host mentions the family all speaks alike, and then proceeds with a bunch of clips of them all saying words like "special", "precious", and "neat". The limited vocabulary really speaks to how sheltered these fundies are; they aren't often exposed to people in real life who speak differently, nor do they read widely to learn and assimilate new words.

Let them join a running club. Train for a race or a triathlon.

They do belong to a running club. The Maxwell Family Running Club. And they can't train for a marathon, takes time away from doing the Lord's work. :penguin-no:

It looks like they were out during the day. That surprises me, I thought they tended to exercise at the butt-crack of dawn, which I assume is to avoid people.

Some questions for those of you who have read the Moody books and/or have knowledge of the Maxwells:

To what extent do you think the Maxwells have shaped their neighborhood? Given that Christopher, Nathan, and Joseph live so close to the main house, are the non-Maxwell neighbors also drawn to some degree into the Maxwell black hole, or are the non-Maxwell neighbors significantly different from them in terms of background, worldview, etc.? Based on our discussion here, we have pretty much decided that the Moody family is a reflection of the Maxwells, so are Sarah's depictions of the Moody neighbors accurate reflections of their neighborhood as well?

I haven't read the Moody books, but I greatly appreciate those of you who have survived read them and have provided commentary here! :worship:

Some questions for those of you who have read the Moody books and/or have knowledge of the Maxwells:

To what extent do you think the Maxwells have shaped their neighborhood? Given that Christopher, Nathan, and Joseph live so close to the main house, are the non-Maxwell neighbors also drawn to some degree into the Maxwell black hole, or are the non-Maxwell neighbors significantly different from them in terms of background, worldview, etc.? Based on our discussion here, we have pretty much decided that the Moody family is a reflection of the Maxwells, so are Sarah's depictions of the Moody neighbors accurate reflections of their neighborhood as well?

I haven't read the Moody books, but I greatly appreciate those of you who have survived read them and have provided commentary here! :worship:

I would imagine there's an small element of truth to the depiction of the neighbors in the Moody books with a very healthy dose of wishful thinking as well. As to whether or not the neighbors get sucked into the Maxwell orbit, it's hard to say. I don't know if it's an accurate gauge of the neighbors' beliefs, but over the years, the attendance at the annual Maxwell ladies' lunch had dwindled to…just Maxwells and maybe one or two others.

I do think that Steve's grand plan is to eventually have various Maxwells buy up all the houses in the neighborhood, effectively turning it into a family compound.

The Mrs. Clifton character is based on a real person. I don't remember if she was a neighbor, but the Maxwells started going to her house and doing chores once a week after Stevehovah decided that the AWANA Bible club at their church was ebil. He didn't want to just pull the kids out of that activity without substituting another, and so they started visiting Mrs. Clifton on the night they used to go to AWANA.

From what I remember of the Keeping Hearts book, when Sarah was little her family lived in a neighborhood where there were other children. As a young adult, Sarah wrote that she did not enjoy playing with those children. None of this is in any of the four Moody books that I have read. In the Moody books, the family mostly interacts with elderly neighbors. There is one young couple with a baby, but they don't appear often, only when Ma Moody feels like lecturing the young mom about quitting her job to stay at home with her baby.

I would imagine there's an small element of truth to the depiction of the neighbors in the Moody books with a very healthy dose of wishful thinking as well.

Oh dear god, what if Summer With the Moodys is actually Sarah Maxwell's wishful thinking rather than a depiction her true life?!

With that revelation, I need some ice cream from the trash can. Sheesh.

I do think that Steve's grand plan is to eventually have various Maxwells buy up all the houses in the neighborhood, effectively turning it into a family compound.

I've wondered about that exact scenario myself as we have observed the sons all purchase homes nearby. I also wonder if the Maxwell influence has ever motivated other people to move?

Geez, could you imagine what a Maxwell-dominated neighborhood would look like?! If they had a Homeowners Association, would Rule 1 be "must pass the Good Person Test"?

Dish, guys. Who left the 'this book was too worldly for our family' review?

I saw some really thoughtful, kind critiques in there and I'm glad to see that. Sarah doesn't deserve to be ridiculed or mocked, it wasn't her idea to write and she doesn't claim to be brilliant at it. It was Steve's idea and Steve pushes her to churn out the books. I think the best way to leave a meaningful critique that's fair, helpful to Sarah and is an FU to Steve is to offer gentle constructive criticism that includes a particular critique of the Mr. Moody character.

Anything more direct ensures that it will be dismissed.

Vex!!!!!

You are back! We had a thread somewhere a while ago with "Where is ....." and I wondered in it where you were. Hope you and your ratties are all well.

With the Moody book critiques, did you read the replies Steve gave to a couple of them? He is such a dick.

Ha. He just couldn't wrap his mind around the idea that he had missed grammar errors in his proofreading.

I think I may be purposed to write a review here. Basically one should not be giving a book a 4 star review just because it has Jesus in it....

I agree, there is no point in bashing or belittling Sarah. It's not here fault. Her father won't allow her to become a better writer, in part because he is soooo worried a community college class would turn her away from god :roll: , but more so because he is too arrogant to realize, that they aren't super special people who can teach themselves to do anything.

The point is, this book is bad. Very, very bad. The "plot", themes, characters, the writing, everything. It is just bad.

I would imagine there's an small element of truth to the depiction of the neighbors in the Moody books with a very healthy dose of wishful thinking as well. As to whether or not the neighbors get sucked into the Maxwell orbit, it's hard to say. I don't know if it's an accurate gauge of the neighbors' beliefs, but over the years, the attendance at the annual Maxwell ladies' lunch had dwindled to…just Maxwells and maybe one or two others.

With so few of them - especially so few of them getting married - could they really buy up all the houses?

Wouldn't it be awful to live sandwiched between and across from The Maxhells? I wouldn't need to be worried about *going* to hell after I died!

With so few of them - especially so few of them getting married - could they really buy up all the houses?

It would likely take multiple generations of Maxwells to completely cover the neighborhood, depending on how many homes there are or would be down the line. We know from what others here at FJ who have crashed one or more of the Maxwell conferences have reported is that Steve harps on the long-term impact of having large families in each generation (I know this has been discussed here in older threads, so those with the energy to do a search can probably find these). I have come to agreement with sparkles's opinion that Steve has likely thought of having a neighborhood/compound dominated by Maxwells at some point in the future. (Edited to add: this would certainly fit with their philosophy of associating only with family.)

What will be interesting to see among the current Maxwell children, particularly with Nathan since he has several daughters, is whether they will be more willing and proactive about marrying off their own daughters. Likewise, whether the future sons-in-law would be pressured into purchasing homes in the neighborhood.

It would likely take multiple generations of Maxwells to completely cover the neighborhood, depending on how many homes there are or would be down the line. We know from what others here at FJ who have crashed one or more of the Maxwell conferences have reported is that Steve harps on the long-term impact of having large families in each generation (I know this has been discussed here in older threads, so those with the energy to do a search can probably find these). I have come to agreement with sparkles's opinion that Steve has likely thought of having a neighborhood/compound dominated by Maxwells at some point in the future. (Edited to add: this would certainly fit with their philosophy of associating only with family.)

What will be interesting to see among the current Maxwell children, particularly with Nathan since he has several daughters, is whether they will be more willing and proactive about marrying off their own daughters. Likewise, whether the future sons-in-law would be pressured into purchasing homes in the neighborhood.

Which I think is the main reason a courtship/marriage with John Marie never came to fruition. I'm sure John-Marie was content and happy to live in Idaho and with his irrigation business saw no reason to move to Leavenworth.

I am probably alone in this thought but I don't think I would mind living next to the Maxwells. Before you all think I am crazy there are a few reasons:

-They would not have loud parties all night

-The outside of their house would be kept in immaculate order. This really helps when you try to sell your home.

-I imagine if you were out of town they would have no problem getting your mail

-If you were sick or in need I imagine they would bring you food

-I would become the most popular person on Free Jinger as I could provide many in person observations for all of you

-That cinnamon bread they give out while caroling looks really good

-I would have the opportunity to offer help to any children who want to escape

I imagine that them trying to win over my soul may get a little old. However, I like to think I am a strong enough person to quickly cut these conversations off.

I am probably alone in this thought but I don't think I would mind living next to the Maxwells. Before you all think I am crazy there are a few reasons:

-The outside of their house would be kept in immaculate order. This really helps when you try to sell your home.

-I would become the most popular person on Free Jinger as I could provide many in person observations for all of you

I imagine that them trying to win over my soul may get a little old. However, I like to think I am a strong enough person to quickly cut these conversations off.

This is obviously an important consideration when it comes to neighbours, as is tasty cinnamon bread.

ETA: I wouldn't mind living near them if they mostly kept themselves to themselves, offering normal neighbourly assistance (like collecting the mail). Sooner or later, though, they'd get suspicious of the fact that Mr Alba and I have no children, and I can imagine some awkward conversations coming up. Course, I could just troll them: "Yes, I do worship Satin. It's so soft and silky smooth. Oh, you meant Satan? Yes, I, too, worship figments of my imagination." You know what? Living near the Maxwells is actually starting to sound kind of fun :twisted:

The bolded could pose a problem though.

What happens when they see that I get secular magazines? :shock:

Mailers from leftish political candidates? :o

Lingerie catalogs? :pink-shock:

Archived