IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

According to Kindle I'm 70% through this, thank god.

So Mollie finally has her first cookie order. Oh noes she forgets the baking soda. Mom, who is actually present for a change, talks to her about how she made mistakes when she first got married because she didn't know how to cook anything but packaged food (don't worry, Dad bought her some cookbooks and encouraged her). See, when poor Mom was Mollie's age, she was too busy playing with friends and doing her own things then to spend time learning her homemaking skills. Mollie is so lucky to get started learning early.

She's 9-freaking years old!

It actually says that? Holy crap!

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, it doesn't seem like they eat much more than packaged food as it is. Canned biscuits, canned chili, velveeta, cake mix.... Everything they make in this book is a packaged convenience food.

It actually says that? Holy crap!

Yes, it actually says that.

ETA: Exact quote:

Yes! And, when I was your age, I was more interested in playing with friends and doing my own thing than learning homemaking skills. But look at you! You are eagerly growing in your walk with the Lord, learning to cook, bake, and clean, and being diligent in your schoolwork.

The Moodys sure eat a lot of processed foods: Velveeta, canned chili, spaghetti/pizza sauce from a jar, canned biscuits. Didn't the Maxwells recently try to market reversal Anna as a meal planning and nutrition expert?

The Moodys sure eat a lot of processed foods: Velveeta, canned chili, spaghetti/pizza sauce from a jar, canned biscuits. Didn't the Maxwells recently try to market reversal Anna as a meal planning and nutrition expert?

I've read the first four Moody books. One of the many things that struck me is that the kids are not getting enough food. They'll each have like a Pillsbury type roll for breakfast and nothing more.

I've read the first four Moody books. One of the many things that struck me is that the kids are not getting enough food. They'll each have like a Pillsbury type roll for breakfast and nothing more.

In Teri's infamous post about Nate and Mel's wedding day (where they cried about Nathan moving across the street and got pissy cuz the wait staff didn't follow Steve's instructions for serving the meals at the rehearsal dinner) she said their last breakfast was Pillsbury sweet rolls. My guess they only had one apiece.

How is baking making Mollie grow spiritually?

1. It keeps her from the eff-word. The Ms have taken so much out of their kid's lives that the only thing left to fill the time with is work and bible study. If Mollie wasn't working she would be doing all sorts of worldly and dangerous things like playing with friends.

(Side Q: Do the kids in the Moody books ever just play? I can't check because I deleted my copy but I can't recall even a passing mention of any of them playing. The only things they do in their spare time is read approved non-fiction books and choose to do more work or bible memorisation.)

2. In M-land a woman's spiritual health rests on serving her headship and keeping him happy. If DaddyM likes homemade food, then Mollie needs to learn those things.

There is exactly one time in the entire book where the kids just play. It's during the water balloon fight.

To the poster who read the first four books: how? I'm good at forcing myself to finish just about anything, and even I barely managed to finish this one!

Was happy juice involved?

Also, I am going to try the recipe Sarah put in there for chilli dip. Except that there is no way in hell I am using velveeta. Real cheese, probably provolone, mozzarella, or something not cheddar or American will be used. Canned chilli will be used because I don't have a good recipe of my own yet. I'm a vegetarian, but my version will contain fake meat, because no, it does not taste the same without it.

There is exactly one time in the entire book where the kids just play. It's during the water balloon fight.

To the poster who read the first four books: how? I'm good at forcing myself to finish just about anything, and even I barely managed to finish this one!

Was happy juice involved?

I approached it as a research project on what really happens inside a fundie household. I wasn't reading the books for their literary merit. On a related note, I didn't make it very far through the first Elsie Dinsmore book-- I wanted to go all Joan Crawford on that whiny, self-righteous little twit.

Also, I am going to try the recipe Sarah put in there for chilli dip. Except that there is no way in hell I am using velveeta. Real cheese, probably provolone, mozzarella, or something not cheddar or American will be used. Canned chilli will be used because I don't have a good recipe of my own yet. I'm a vegetarian, but my version will contain fake meat, because no, it does not taste the same without it.

If you're really feeling brave, you could always make your own velveeta. :ew: (You'd have to find a veg gelatine sub though). Personally I think if you're going to eat a concoction of pre-processed slop, you may as well do it properly. Why waste perfectly good cheese?

I cannot even finish the third chapter. Much respect to those who can. Childrens books are supposed to make the readers want to be part of the story because it is so thrilling. As a kid, I wanted to go to Camp Sunnyside, be a member of the Babysitter's Club and help Nancy Drew solve crimes. I cannot see any kid wanting to join the adventureless Moodys. Oh, and how many times can someone be asked if they are a Christian in a book? Three chapters in and I am over it already. Does this really happen that often to a person in real and I don't mean being yelled at by the crazy person on the street?

The only times in my life anyone has asked if I'm a Christian it was because they were about to proselytize to me.

Play-wise, there's a scene where the mom plays dolls with the toddler, then the water balloon toss, and the super special game of hide and seek that mom doesn't actually want to play, so she just stands in the corner so she can be found right away and get out of the game. Nice. Other than that, whenever the Moody kids have free time they memorize the Bible or do extra chores, like organize the recipe book or mop the garage. (I've never in my life heard of someone mopping their garage before.) The kids seem to have a LOT of regular chores too: there's a part where Mollie does her Friday chores and her weekly chores and then goes hunting around for more chores because it's just such a blessing and anyway mom is shut up in her room again.

The Maxwells seem to understand that this family is abnormal, but not for the reasons they think. From their site on the page for Spring with the Moodys:

We want to hold up a model for children that would cause them to choose to be loving, helpful, kind, and considerate—more like Jesus. While the Moody family may seem like a perfect family, they are the picture that Scripture sets before us of a family.

They think the Moodys seem strange to readers because they're God's model for a perfect family and we all fall short of perfection. They don't see what we see: the remote mother, controlling and callous father, and automaton children who are made to beg forgiveness any time they act like children, would rather work than play, never read, have no friends, and are constantly preoccupied with the lives of elderly women and their mother's uterus.

That stuff about Indonesians and Ivorians made me really uncomfortable, you guys. What could she have been thinking?

And did anyone else think WTF during the scene where the neighbor came over for dinner and, during the meal, was telling them about her missionary work and teaching Indonesians what soap is, and Mr Moody interrupted her all, "What a great story! Please take a few bites of food and then continue telling it!" Shut up, dude! She'll eat when she wants! But she obediently stopped talking, ate a few bites, and then resumed talking. It was so creepy.

The only times in my life anyone has asked if I'm a Christian it was because they were about to proselytize to me.

Play-wise, there's a scene where the mom plays dolls with the toddler, then the water balloon toss, and the super special game of hide and seek that mom doesn't actually want to play, so she just stands in the corner so she can be found right away and get out of the game. Nice. Other than that, whenever the Moody kids have free time they memorize the Bible or do extra chores, like organize the recipe book or mop the garage. (I've never in my life heard of someone mopping their garage before.) The kids seem to have a LOT of regular chores too: there's a part where Mollie does her Friday chores and her weekly chores and then goes hunting around for more chores because it's just such a blessing and anyway mom is shut up in her room again.

The Maxwells seem to understand that this family is abnormal, but not for the reasons they think. From their site on the page for Spring Days with the Moodys:

They think the Moodys seem strange to readers because they're God's model for a perfect family and we all fall short of perfection. They don't see what we see: the remote mother, controlling and callous father, and automaton children who are made to beg forgiveness any time they act like children, would rather work than play, never read, have no friends, and are constantly preoccupied with the lives of elderly women and their mother's uterus.

That stuff about Indonesians and Ivorians made me really uncomfortable, you guys. What could she have been thinking?

And did anyone else think WTF during the scene where the neighbor came over for dinner and, during the meal, was telling them about her missionary work and teaching Indonesians what soap is, and Mr Moody interrupted her all, "What a great story! Please take a few bites of food and then continue telling it!" Shut up, dude! She'll eat when she wants! But she obediently stopped talking, ate a few bites, and then resumed talking. It was so creepy.

To the bolded, absolutely. I disliked that so much I've put it in my review for Amazon. I'm still working on the review and it is getting so long that I'm going to have to edit out the parts other people have already addressed so well.

You make excellent points and ITA. However, I think Mr. Moody was supposed to be demonstrating consideration when he ordered Mrs. Whatzit to keep eating. Or he can't resist bossing people around and her long-winded story was getting the family behind schedule!

The Maxwells seem to understand that this family is abnormal, but not for the reasons they think. From their site on the page for Spring with the Moodys:

You weren't exaggerating this at all. :shock: I had to go scroll through the book to find this part.

Mr. Moody: " Please, after you've eaten some more, we'd like to hear the rest of the story."

Mrs. Clifton ate several more bites and continued.

I get the feeling that this conversation has actually taken place at the Maxwell table. Who tells a guest to stop talking and eat?

snip

You make excellent points and ITA. However, I think Mr. Moody was supposed to be demonstrating consideration when he ordered Mrs. Whatzit to keep eating. Or he can't resist bossing people around and her long-winded story was getting the family behind schedule!

When you mentioned Mrs. Whatzit I couldn't help but think of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which and Mrs. Who from Madeline L'Engle's brilliant "A Wrinkle in Time." Can you imagine what a difference that book might have made to Sarah's writing (or life) had she been allowed to read it? Instead of being a cipher, hiding in plain sight in a corner or retiring to her bedroom at every opportunity, Mrs. Moody could have been Mrs. Murry, intelligent, strong, capable, loving and nurturing. Instead of standing on the sidelines while others did her talking for her, Mollie could have been Meg, another strong character on a journey of self-discovery who ends up saving those she loves.

There are similarities between the two books. Mr. Moody is the mind-controlling IT and the Moody children are the inhabitants of Camazotz, always fearful, always perfect, never deviating from routine. Too bad Sarah will never be able to break the Black Thing and actually LIVE instead of just exist.

I wish there was a way of sending it to her. It's actually a very Christian book.

Reading Sarah's book is unbearably sad.

Sparkles, Steve would blow a gasket if we sent a copy of a Wrinkle in Time to the Maxwells. L'Engle was an Episcopalian. She was banned from many evangelical Christian bookshops because she believed in universal salvation.

I loved her books too.

IMO A Wrinkle in Time is one of the best children's books ever. I can't help but wonder how they Maxwell children would react if they were given something like that to read. Sarah has spent 30+ years deprived of anything that encourages imagination or fun, would reading a book like that be as much a struggle for her as reading a Moody book is for the rest of us?

If you're really feeling brave, you could always make your own velveeta. :ew: (You'd have to find a veg gelatine sub though). Personally I think if you're going to eat a concoction of pre-processed slop, you may as well do it properly. Why waste perfectly good cheese?

Because I have some non velveeta cheese in the fridge I need to use or Its gonna go bad. I don't eat much cheese, and only bought this package for mousetraps.

The chili I'm using is Amy's chilli, so it might be organic.

I'm not very good at processed crap am I?

I'm trying to skim through this book but it seems like the kids do a lot of cooking with very little supervision. How old is the M kid who is starting the baking business? At the beginning of the book she wants to make cookies during the summer and the mom thinks about the last time she made cookies where she messed up and ended up creating a massive, hard to clean up mess. Clearly she needs some more supervision in the kitchen when it comes to cooking yet Mr. Moody leaps into the idea of her having a business where she sells baked goods. Her last cooking experience was a complete disaster yet they think she is going to be able to make cookies with no supervision and sell them? These are some shitty parents. And then when she does finally get an order she has no adult supervision and she messes up the first batch of cookies. WTF Mrs. Moody, why don't you stop spending so much time in your room praying and reading the Bible and actually help your child in the kitchen?

I'm trying to skim through this book but it seems like the kids do a lot of cooking with very little supervision. How old is the M kid who is starting the baking business? At the beginning of the book she wants to make cookies during the summer and the mom thinks about the last time she made cookies where she messed up and ended up creating a massive, hard to clean up mess. Clearly she needs some more supervision in the kitchen when it comes to cooking yet Mr. Moody leaps into the idea of her having a business where she sells baked goods. Her last cooking experience was a complete disaster yet they think she is going to be able to make cookies with no supervision and sell them? These are some shitty parents. And then when she does finally get an order she has no adult supervision and she messes up the first batch of cookies. WTF Mrs. Moody, why don't you stop spending so much time in your room praying and reading the Bible and actually help your child in the kitchen?

There is a difference between letting a child learn from her mistakes and setting a child up for failure. The Maxwells Moodies do the latter. When the child messes up a recipe she has to apologize and the all powerful parental unit gets to "forgive" her and "encourage" her. Yuck!

I think the cooking the children do would be age appropriate with more supervision. That disgusting Hormel chile and Velveeta mess is microwavable and a good "easy meal" for child cooks. But for the love of little processed puppies ...!

I do think that it is age appropriate to have them cook, but they should have at least some distant supervision, not mom shut up in her room ignoring oblivious to what is going on in the rest of the house. The M Girl(Mollie?) who starts the baking business is clearly not ready to bake things by herself.

I do think that it is age appropriate to have them cook, but they should have at least some distant supervision, not mom shut up in her room ignoring oblivious to what is going on in the rest of the house. The M Girl(Mollie?) who starts the baking business is clearly not ready to bake things by herself.

I agree. :) To quote myself:

I think the cooking the children do would be age appropriate with more supervision.

I think the "businesses" are both very inappropriate for the ages of the children. Children who are not old and responsible enough to own their own pets should not be allowed experiment with taking care of other peoples' pets. Ten year olds who are still unable to cook without supervision should not be making baked goods for sale. Both are ridiculous ideas.

I agree. :) To quote myself:

I think the "businesses" are both very inappropriate for the ages of the children. Children who are not old and responsible enough to own their own pets should not be allowed experiment with taking care of other peoples' pets. Ten year olds who are still unable to cook without supervision should not be making baked goods for sale. Both are ridiculous ideas.

It doesn't exactly model appropriate behavior for the adults either, especially when it comes to the pet-sitting service. What responsible pet person wouldn't want to know about references, experience, what kind of facilities the pet sitter has, what procedures they have in place in case there's an emergency? These are supposedly beloved pets whose care they're entrusting to total strangers and kids, no less. Ah, but then I remember that A. The Moodys are Christian so nothing else matters and B. pets are mere ANIMALS so who really cares, right? Remember what happened to the original Honey? You don't? Well, of course not. She wasn't even worth a mention when (I'm assuming) she died.

Archived