IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

Have a question for anyone who read most or all of the book.

First, quick background:

Lutheran theology is very Christ-centered, which I know initially sounds like a redundancy. Christ-centered IS Christianity, right? Not necessarily. I have self-identifying Christian friends who try to emulate the work, life and teachings of Jesus Christ but who do not believe He is the Messiah. Osteen and his ilk almost never speak of what J.C. did for us, but what WE can do for the church.

Lutheran sermons speak of our sin and God's redemption thru Jesus. A quick way of identifying Christ-centered Christianity vs. the other kind is to see who is the subject of the verb in most sentences. "Jesus saves you" is Christ-centric. "You must be a better person, like Jesus" is not.

So much for the quick background. My question is, how often, if at all, do the characters in the Moody book talk about what Jesus has done for them, as opposed to what they must do to show their faith?

I'm just curious. But not enough to spend any more of my golden years reading the book for myself! Many advance thanks to those who chose to endure.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MJB, I thought they spoke a lot about what Jesus did for them. It was because of Jesus that the mother got pregnant (which is a little Rosemary's Baby-ish if you think about it), because of Jesus that they got the dog. Jesus did this, Jesus did that and all they had to do was ask and pray incessantly. Any good works they did was to get them right with Jesus and earn them a place in heaven. Not one single thought or deed was free of agenda. No one did anything simply because it was the right thing to do.

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who knows squat about religion. I never paid attention to my own (Judaism) and once I outed myself as an atheist at age 12, I never paid attention to any other religion either, other than to snark. But IMO there's nothing about the Maxwell flavor of religion that isn't all about fear of death and selfishness.

MJB, I thought they spoke a lot about what Jesus did for them. It was because of Jesus that the mother got pregnant (which is a little Rosemary's Baby-ish if you think about it), because of Jesus that they got the dog. Jesus did this, Jesus did that and all they had to do was ask and pray incessantly. Any good works they did was to get them right with Jesus and earn them a place in heaven. Not one single thought or deed was free of agenda. No one did anything simply because it was the right thing to do.

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who knows squat about religion. I never paid attention to my own (Judaism) and once I outed myself as an atheist at age 12, I never paid attention to any other religion either, other than to snark. But IMO there's nothing about the Maxwell flavor of religion that isn't all about fear of death and selfishness.

sparkles, a thousand thanks.

Yeah, no, what that is, is Jesus as celestial errand-boy. It still all comes to what *they,* the Moodaxwells, ask for and then what Jesus owes them because, as you astutely write, "Any good works they did was to get them right with Jesus and earn them a place in heaven. Not one single thought or deed was free of agenda."

Christ-centered Christianity posits that there's NOTHING we can do to get right with God and earn ourselves a place in Heaven. Thus the centering on Christ, what HE DID.

Thank you for your response, you really got the gist of my question. Despite the J E S U S gold-painted letters on that wall, the real god in that forsaken house is indeed, U S M A X W E L L S.

(Just to further cement the distance between me and them, in Christ-centered theology and practice, good deeds are done out of thankfulness and yes, because they're the right thing to do. Not because they'll get us where we needs to go.)

Ugh, this is so tedious. I think I'm almost done.

It is the day before school! The kids decide to organize the garage as a thank you for Mom and Dad. For what, I have no idea. While out there the boys admonish themselves for not putting Dad's tools back in the right draws. One of them knocks over a pail of dirty water. They apologize to Mom for doing so. Apparently, even when one is being selfless, they should be perfect as well.

Anyhoo, time for a special diner. Build your own burritos!! Mr. Moody must think burritos taste better with meat, as that is provided with the beans. Then we get this gem:

Dad blessed the food and then announced, "Since it's buffet style tonight, we will let the ladies go first. We men will be patient." Max and Mitch grinned, catching Dad's emphasis of 'men." They loved it when Dad said they were men. It made them feel important and protective of the girls.

I like the review that pointed out how Mr. Moody is a bit of a jerk, telling his wife to quit complaining (wrt her concern that the heat in church will trigger a migraine). If life with the Moodys is a thinly veiled depiction of life with the Maxwells, then Steve is apparently quite deft with the emotional and verbal abuse.

This is what I don't understand. We assume these stories reflect Sarah's life but, if they do, why would Steve allow himself to be portrayed this way?

This is what I don't understand. We assume these stories reflect Sarah's life but, if they do, why would Steve allow himself to be portrayed this way?

Because in his eyes he is not a jerk, just a godly leader trying to save his children's souls from the pit fires of hell.

Ugh, this is so tedious. I think I'm almost done.

It is the day before school! The kids decide to organize the garage as a thank you for Mom and Dad. For what, I have no idea. While out there the boys admonish themselves for not putting Dad's tools back in the right draws. One of them knocks over a pail of dirty water. They apologize to Mom for doing so. Apparently, even when one is being selfless, they should be perfect as well.

Anyhoo, time for a special diner. Build your own burritos!! Mr. Moody must think burritos taste better with meat, as that is provided with the beans. Then we get this gem:

Dad blessed the food and then announced, "Since it's buffet style tonight, we will let the ladies go first. We men will be patient." Max and Mitch grinned, catching Dad's emphasis of 'men." They loved it when Dad said they were men. It made them feel important and protective of the girls.

Right?! They clean the garage on their own initiative, mop the floor which is not a thing, spill the water (again, in the garage, I have to stress - who cares if the garage floor gets wetter than regular mopping-wet, IT IS A GARAGE, it'll dry), clean the water up, and then apologize to their mother for spilling the water, which happened by accident and while they were doing her an unsolicited favor, which was not a wrong or naughty act, and which she never even would've known happened because they cleaned it up immediately and anyway she was shut up in her room again while her small children rearranged power tools all alone with only Jesus to supervise. WHAT WAS THE APOLOGY FOR?

Jeez, these people have done such a number on their kids. It's unreal.

Because Steve does not see anything wrong with this portrayal. He obviously thinks that this is the Godly way to behave. If we disagree, we are nothing more than heathens.

Right?! They clean the garage on their own initiative, mop the floor which is not a thing, spill the water (again, in the garage, I have to stress - who cares if the garage floor gets wetter than regular mopping-wet, IT IS A GARAGE, it'll dry), clean the water up, and then apologize to their mother for spilling the water, which happened by accident and while they were doing her an unsolicited favor, which was not a wrong or naughty act, and which she never even would've known happened because they cleaned it up immediately and anyway she was shut up in her room again while her small children rearranged power tools all alone with only Jesus to supervise. WHAT WAS THE APOLOGY FOR?

Jeez, these people have done such a number on their kids. It's unreal.

I KNOW! It's maddening!

I don't know WTF I am reading anymore.

Upon hearing the good news that Grandma and Grandpa would be moving only 10 mins away Dad said:

It'll give us more opportunities to live our faith and be good Christian examples to Grandpa and Grandma. I'm sure the Lord will open up a way for Mom and me to share the Gospel with them again. In fact, I realize I've become lazy in praying for their salvation. Let's each one of us pray daily about it.

Upon hearing the good news that Grandma and Grandpa would be moving only 10 mins away Dad said:

It'll give us more opportunities to live our faith and be good Christian examples to Grandpa and Grandma. I'm sure the Lord will open up a way for Mom and me to share the Gospel with them again. In fact, I realize I've become lazy in praying for their salvation. Let's each one of us pray daily about it.

i wonder how long it takes them to get through their prayer lists every day... or maybe they divide it all up for different days: Family, National/Worldwide, Missionaries, Strangers' Souls, Plants, Animals, and Inanimate Objects that need prayer prayers. With a daily side of garage-mopping repentance.

poor Maxwells. It's like they're at an Ashram performing sacred rites of purity.

da Fuq? I think it's time for Grandma and Grandpa to start looking into retiring in Boca.

From the descriptions of later books in the series it seems Grandma and Grandpa eventually get saved, and so does Mr Delome of the broken mailbox. I wonder how much of it is autobiographical vis-a-vis Sarah's understanding of her grandparents' religious positions.

From the descriptions of later books in the series it seems Grandma and Grandpa eventually get saved, and so does Mr Delome of the broken mailbox. I wonder how much of it is autobiographical vis-a-vis Sarah's understanding of her grandparents' religious positions.

Yes, all the old people get saved in one book or another.

I'M DONE!!

Anyone who made it all the way through this book deserves a prize.

I agree. I should be given a better book for free for finishing this book and leaving a review.

Oh my god... That should be my ministry! I'll review a Christian book after I'm given a book of my choice for free. And my living expenses are paid off, of course. If this doesn't make sense to you, clearly you don't love Jesus enough.

I agree. I should be given a better book for free for finishing this book and leaving a review.

Oh my god... That should be my ministry! I'll review a Christian book after I'm given a book of my choice for free. And my living expenses are paid off, of course. If this doesn't make sense to you, clearly you don't love Jesus enough.

You need an RV and to go on the road with this ministry. :D

Trynn, frankly I'm a little worried about those special mint plants Alexa has behind Grandma's garage.

Did the Moody children accidentally mow them over? Did the lawnmower throw a spark that set the special mint on fire, so Mrs. Moody got a real smile on her face for the first time since she met Mr. Moody? Did Mollie and Maddie decide to make lemonade for everyone and added a sprig of mint to each glass? Or did Miss Marple give them a plant and a recipe for her wonderful mint brownies?

Please tie up this loose end, the suspense is making my countenance ungodly!

Trynn, are these "special" mint plants? Like the ones that are sold in Colorado? What is Maude up to? Hmmmmm..... :whistle:

Actually, it really was just a secret mint garden, but I like the Jingers' idea and ran with it. I've now decided that there was weed mixed in with the mint plants as a disguise, and those dumbass moodys weeded the garden by pulling up all the actual mint plants, leaving nothing to disguise the weed. Alexa's out for revenge.

Actually, it really was just a secret mint garden, but I like the Jingers' idea and ran with it. I've now decided that there was weed mixed in with the mint plants as a disguise, and those dumbass moodys weeded the garden by pulling up all the actual mint plants, leaving nothing to disguise the weed. Alexa's out for revenge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect!

We even have an emoticon for this story line! :obscene-smokingweed:

Mmmm....secret mint garden :D

ASIDE: I'm genuinely glad prohibition against, er, mint is ending all over the place, because it seems to work really well for cancer patients and other people who have difficulty managing their pain.

Go Alexa!!!

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else envision Bea Arthur's Maude character from the 1970s sitcom when they read Trynn's Moody stories?

OT: I wonder how the Maxwell chidults would react if, after asking a person whether s/he was "saved," that person said, "Oh, honey--I'm a [Catholic, Jew, UU, whatever] and my religion doesn't believe in that."

Archived