IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

It doesn't exactly model appropriate behavior for the adults either, especially when it comes to the pet-sitting service. What responsible pet person wouldn't want to know about references, experience, what kind of facilities the pet sitter has, what procedures they have in place in case there's an emergency? These are supposedly beloved pets whose care they're entrusting to total strangers and kids, no less. Ah, but then I remember that A. The Moodys are Christian so nothing else matters and B. pets are mere ANIMALS so who really cares, right? Remember what happened to the original Honey? You don't? Well, of course not. She wasn't even worth a mention when (I'm assuming) she died.

No kidding! I said a couple of pages back that I wouldn't let the Maxwells take care of a pet rock, let alone a real pet! Poor Honey.

I'm sure Stevehovah will defend the pet-sitting business as fiction.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been far more appropriate for them to volunteer at an animal shelter, or to walk and care for the pet of a sick/elderly neighbour. They could have gotten experience of having to deal with the daily grind of clearing up dog poop and going for a walk several times a day whether you feel like it or not, at the same time as "ministering to the elderly" (with deeds not words), with no need for money to exchange hands or for anyone's health and safety to be in danger.

But that would involve genuine charity and daily exposure to non-cult members..... not quite what Stevus had in mind.... :x

No kidding! I said a couple of pages back that I wouldn't let the Maxwells take care of a pet rock, let alone a real pet! Poor Honey.

I'm sure Stevehovah will defend the pet-sitting business as fiction.

I didn't know about "Honey" so I went to take a look at the blog and came across this: blog.titus2.com/2007/01/11/behind-the-scenes-look-at-a-photo-session-for-spring/ :pink-shock:

Poor cat! They thought it was totally okay to let Honey run the cat up a tree twice. To them it was "just a little adventure in capturing a picture for the next Moody book"

Alright. So I read Summer with the Moodys a while ago and I decided to go look at the sample pages for the other books.

Here are some messed up things I noticed.

In Autumn with the Moodys, Maple the new dog rips Maddie's jumper.

Maddie was not to be easily consoled. “I so sad! She’s a bad,

bad dog.â€

Max continued his efforts. “It’s okay, Maddie. Mom will take

care of your jumper.†Maddie’s chubby hand reached up to

her face and wiped at the tears.

At that moment, Mom came downstairs. Mitch, in his enthusiasm

to be the first to tell the story, launched into an exciting

account of the past few minutes—including the flying leap

onto the couch. Mom took Maddie on her lap and told her

how sorry she was and that she would fix the jumper.

Nobody addresses that Maple is not in fact a bad dog but that Maddie was teasing her with a play towel and Maple reached for the jumper because she was playing not because she's a disobedient dog.

In Winter Days with the Moodys, Mitch makes some weird apology about a genuine accident that seems to suggest food control.

As Mom was preparing lunch, Mitch proudly showed Dad

the pan of croutons. Dad popped a few into his mouth; his

eyebrows raised. “Wow, these are quite strong. What sort of

flavorings did you use?â€

“Garlic and Italian stuff. You must have gotten one of

mine!â€

“I imagine so! Did you put a lot of seasoning on?â€

“Yes, sir, but not on purpose. I didn’t realize the seasonings came

out so fast! I learned my lesson and will be careful next time.â€

In Book 4, we have this weird apology for REACHING FOR FREAKING PEANUT BUTTER.

Maddie reached for the jar of peanut butter and in the

process knocked over her glass of milk. Maple eagerly began

lapping up the drips that were coming from the table.

Maddie apologized. “I’m terribly sorry. I shouldn’t have

bereached for the peanut butter.â€

And yes, that bereached is there in the actual text. No clue why.

In the same Book, I hope Grandma is modeled after GiGi because she seems to take accidents in stride and doesn't expect these absurd apologies.

Mollie poured the rich chocolate batter

into the cake pan. “Oh NO!†she wailed.

Grandma turned. “What is it?â€

“I forgot to grease the pan. What should I do?â€

“Is that all?†Grandma sighed with relief. “Don’t worry; we’ll

dump it back into the bowl, wash the pan, and grease it. I’ve

done that before.â€

In Book 8, or whatever, they're basically all the same damn book, Mom starts an oven fire of tortilla chips and pulls the pan out of the oven with a pan holder which is the most freaking absurd solution I could imagine. I would have opened the oven and put the fire out with baking soda (as my mother did when my aunt and uncle started a fire in their oven) and turned the oven off. Instead, she brings the contained fire (which is just tortilla chips in a metal pan, so it won't spread) OUT INTO THE KITCHEN WHERE THE CHILDREN ARE.

In Book 3, who knows anymore, they knock over a pancake while having breakfast. Maddie is only like 3 so one pancake is probably an okay amount (I guess? I don't have kids???) HOWEVER,

“My pancake!†Maddie wailed. “I weally weally weally

hungwe! Maple ate my pancake!â€

Mitch encouraged, “I can make you another one.â€

“I’ll take care of the mess, Mom,†Mollie offered. “How

should I deal with the syrup? Whoever put it on gave

Maddie a very generous amount.â€

“I did,†Mitch confessed. “Sorry.â€

Sounds food controlly to me. Most of the sample pages have something really messed up like these examples about them and like most of us, I don't doubt these are actual examples of Maxwell life at all. So messed up.

:lol: to the response to Lolo's review!

Amazon deleted Steve's response but it must have been spectacularly weird because Lolo's reply to him is still there and she's like, "Why are you talking about homosexuality and Islam?" I'm sorry I missed it; does anyone remember what he said?

I didn't know about "Honey" so I went to take a look at the blog and came across this: blog.titus2.com/2007/01/11/behind-the-scenes-look-at-a-photo-session-for-spring/ :pink-shock:

Poor cat! They thought it was totally okay to let Honey run the cat up a tree twice. To them it was "just a little adventure in capturing a picture for the next Moody book"

My god that is not okay. There are a million ways they could have done this differently and still gotten the same results. Or, I don't know, used their imaginations.

I am weally, weally, weally sorry for the Maxwell children (and pets) after getting this glimpse of their life.

Amazon deleted Steve's response but it must have been spectacularly weird because Lolo's reply to him is still there and she's like, "Why are you talking about homosexuality and Islam?" I'm sorry I missed it; does anyone remember what he said?

I don't think it was Steve. i think is was a user called "Cristal Clear" who basically said "How dare you complain about a free book! It was a GIFT! I bet if it was about the liberuls you wouldn't be complaining."

ETA: Here's the same comment on a different review:

I am sorry that this FREE book disappointed you. It was a GIFT. Nice way to slap someone and their integrity down when they were trying to do something constructive. Just because you don't agree with a certain lifestyle deosn't make it wrong...hmm I wonder if this book was written pro-gay if it would be getting a bad review from you and others.? Or from a muslim upbringing? . "if you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all."

I didn't see the comment you're talking about, but this comment was left on another review, might be the same theme from the same user?

Cristal clear1 day ago

Report abuse

I am sorry that this FREE book disappointed you. It was a GIFT. Nice way to slap someone and their integrity down when they were trying to do something constructive. Just because you don't agree with a certain lifestyle deosn't make it wrong...hmm I wonder if this book was written pro-gay if it would be getting a bad review from you and others.? Or from a muslim upbringing? . "if you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all."

Alright. So I read Summer with the Moodys a while ago and I decided to go look at the sample pages for the other books.

In Book 3, who knows anymore, they knock over a pancake while having breakfast. Maddie is only like 3 so one pancake is probably an okay amount (I guess? I don't have kids???) HOWEVER,

"Maddie wailed"

"Mitch encouraged"

"Mollie offered"

"Mitch confessed"

Egads Sarah, get thyself to a basic creative writing class. Or even just glance through "The Elements of Style" (you're allowed to read non-fiction, right?)

I didn't see the comment you're talking about, but this comment was left on another review, might be the same theme from the same user?

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all." What a great approach to take to customer reviews. :roll:

"Maddie wailed"

"Mitch encouraged"

"Mollie offered"

"Mitch confessed"

Egads Sarah, get thyself to a basic creative writing class. Or even just glance through "The Elements of Style" (you're allowed to read non-fiction, right?)

Strunk and White? Oh, I really doubt it. They mention a variety of religious denominations and the titles of books and theatrical plays and cinematic releases and the titles of song!!!! Oh, no no no, MJB advised, Strunk and White would NEVAH cross the threshold into the Maxwell MotherFathership!!

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all." What a great approach to take to customer reviews. :roll:

I don't think this person understands the concept of a "product review".

Edit: this is more of a Free Sample than a Gift anyway. A lot of the make up companies I buy from throw in samples with my order. Yeah, it's SUPER nice of them, but let's be honest...they aren't doing it to be nice. They are doing it to get me to try a product I otherwise would not have purchased in the hopes that I will like it and purchase more.

I simply don't understand that the Maxwells can not seem to grasp the idea to NOT write fiction in passive voice! This drives me crazy and is something you learn in middle school. I find it interesting that Steve discredits many credentialed, award-winning authors, yet provides a list of books (mostly written by his "ministry").

Those "positive" reviews are mostly suspicious and I doubt they would recognize quality writing in any category. Most are probably from Titus2 supporters or customers and I would call them "members" because that what Steve has - a cult.

I simply don't understand that the Maxwells can not seem to grasp the idea to NOT write fiction in passive voice! This drives me crazy and is something you learn in middle school. I find it interesting that Steve discredits many credentialed, award-winning authors, yet provides a list of books (mostly written by his "ministry").

Those "positive" reviews are mostly suspicious and I doubt they would recognize quality writing in any category. Most are probably from Titus2 supporters or customers and I would call them "members" because that what Steve has - a cult.

Well, to be fair, most of the negative reviews probably come from…us. I think everyone's made a big effort to be objective but even so, it's hard not to let one's feelings about Steve and his cult of personality bleed through.

What I'd really love is to give this book to a real children's book editor who knows nothing about the Maxwells. I'm very tempted to pass it on to a good friend of mine who's actually an editor and nationally published writer (she's written for the NY Times, among other publications) and ask her what she thinks, but I'm afraid she'd never speak to me again.

Wait, so Maddie goes from speaking in nearly-unrecognizable baby talk to using phrases like "I'm terribly sorry" in the space of a year or so :? I'm not sure why anything about these books should surprise me at this point, but...yeah.

Wait, so Maddie goes from speaking in nearly-unrecognizable baby talk to using phrases like "I'm terribly sorry" in the space of a year or so :? I'm not sure why anything about these books should surprise me at this point, but...yeah.

Well, that's the wondrous homeschooling of Teri Emily for you. :roll:

sparkles, I'm dying to know what your friend would make of this tripe!

Well, according to today's post, Sarah's book made it into the top 100 kindle books (for awhile). At least that made her happy.

Here are some messed up things I noticed.

In Autumn with the Moodys, Maple the new dog rips Maddie's jumper.

Nobody addresses that Maple is not in fact a bad dog but that Maddie was teasing her with a play towel and Maple reached for the jumper because she was playing not because she's a disobedient dog.

In Winter Days with the Moodys, Mitch makes some weird apology about a genuine accident that seems to suggest food control.

In the same Book, I hope Grandma is modeled after GiGi because she seems to take accidents in stride and doesn't expect these absurd apologies.

In Book 8, or whatever, they're basically all the same damn book, Mom starts an oven fire of tortilla chips and pulls the pan out of the oven with a pan holder which is the most freaking absurd solution I could imagine. I would have opened the oven and put the fire out with baking soda (as my mother did when my aunt and uncle started a fire in their oven) and turned the oven off. Instead, she brings the contained fire (which is just tortilla chips in a metal pan, so it won't spread) OUT INTO THE KITCHEN WHERE THE CHILDREN ARE.

Sounds food controlly to me. Most of the sample pages have something really messed up like these examples about them and like most of us, I don't doubt these are actual examples of Maxwell life at all. So messed up.

This is just sad, because we all know, this is Mitch, Max, Mollie and Maddie, are the actual Maxwell kids and this is what they experienced growing up. The goal may have been to write a book without bratty children, seem the bratty-ness is know with the parents.

Well, to be fair, most of the negative reviews probably come from…us. I think everyone's made a big effort to be objective but even so, it's hard not to let one's feelings about Steve and his cult of personality bleed through.

What I'd really love is to give this book to a real children's book editor who knows nothing about the Maxwells. I'm very tempted to pass it on to a good friend of mine who's actually an editor and nationally published writer (she's written for the NY Times, among other publications) and ask her what she thinks, but I'm afraid she'd never speak to me again.

I get what you're saying, and I do think several of the negative reviewers knew nothing of the author's background and wrote about the book's contents alone. There were probably several of the negative reviews posting more out of a disdain for Steve than the author's ineptness.

However, I've read other works where I knew the author's background/beliefs/persuasions/propaganda and still have been able to distinguish good writing techniques from horrific even when I completely was repulsed by the author. For me, it is not unlike listening to a politician debate or give a speech. Even if I completely disagree with said politician, I can still discern if they have a good speech writer and whether or not they have good stage presence.

Having a professional children's literature expert is a wonderful idea.

Well I did notice that many of the 5 star reviews are very short. "Great book! Buuuuuuuy It!!!!!" is barely a review. The people who claim to love the book can't seem to explain why the book is so great other than to say it is wholesome and their children loved it. Many of the rave reviews call the author "Sarah" which is very telling.

Then there is this (from the Maxwell blog:

Thank-you for this wonderful opportunity, Sarah. It seems to be quite difficult to get hold of the Moody series here in the UK.

Reaching number 1 for children’s fiction is a great achievement, Sarah! Now you may even be able to reach out to a wider audience, as I know that people will often buy top-rated books even without a recommendation.

Keep writing – it is an excellent ministry to have.

Reaching number 1? What Sarah managed to do was give her book away for free, I hardly call that a great achievement. I didn't even understand what the commenter means by "people will often buy top-rated books without a recommendation." Being a top rated book IS a recommendation. Is she saying people sometimes buy books without personal recommendations from friends and family? Hoo Boy that's hardly news is it?

I've read the first four Moody books. One of the many things that struck me is that the kids are not getting enough food. They'll each have like a Pillsbury type roll for breakfast and nothing more.

Out of curiousity in the next few books, is mom as absent as she is in this one?

Yet another post by Sarah about the book being #1, with a comment a "sweet customer" supposedly sent her:

We’ve had some extra family members staying for several weeks. As well as enjoying fellowship, there were also times our children found difficult. I came upstairs one afternoon to hear my daughter reading out loud a section from Book 9 where Mitch had had a bad attitude and Max was encouraging him to think positively about the situation. My daughter was then changing the sentence so that when she read it, it was as if she was being encouraged to have a good attitude over what she was struggling with ;). Your books are a great influence!

Sarah also thanked everyone who downloaded the book for making it into the top 100 books. That poor girl is truly deceived. I seriously want ot stage an intervention.

Sarah also thanked everyone who downloaded the book for making it into the top 100 books. That poor girl is truly deceived. I seriously want ot stage an intervention.

I'm starting to think she's not as deceived and naive as we thought she was. Look at the bible verse she put under that post. That's an eff you verse. The verse was the Christian way of saying "Fuck you. I'm going to spread the gospel whether you like it or not."

John's post came at the perfect time too. People read the negative reviews and go to titus2 to see what it's all about. John's post is an attempt to show that they aren't sheltered.

I'm starting to think that the Maxwells are more calculated and cunning to bring in money than they are naive.

Out of curiousity in the next few books, is mom as absent as she is in this one?

I wondered this too.

Archived