IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

I can imagine teaching your child not to use to much of some stuff. My son likes to each peanut butter and will just like the peanut butter off a slice of bread. So, I talk to him about eating the bread too, and I don't put a ton of peanut butter on his bread, because it gets everywhere.

But him wanting peanut butter is not really sinful. It's just something he likes.

Normal childhood behavior in Maxhell is innately sinful.

I wonder if the Maxwell kids ever have a day where they don't feel soul-stabbing guilt and insecurity for the state of their souls.

Doubt it.

One of the pastors in my old church used to talk about having an "Open Heaven" above our heads (souls?). He described it as a kind of clean slate achieved by never sinning. In other words, having total consecration and tenderness toward whatever guilt or "check" the feelings of the Spirit sent their way. But all it really produced in the super-sensitive kids was a dreadful feeling, guilt about a small unintentional offense, about too much butter, for example. A focus on making tiny things of eternal significance. Always checking themselves for any tiny bit of wrong-doing.

Nothing was more freeing to me than giving up that burden of thinking that God required perfection in all areas. The freedom to be like a child and just trust God to show me the right path without having to basically flagellate myself at all times. Holiness is more about intention: the way a person is headed, than it is about actual perfection in every action or performing these rites of holiness like the chore pac or the schedule or never have an unhappy attitude about things that are difficult.

If the Moody children are so concerned about tiny things, and if the Maxwells are like the Moodys, they have been trained to have over-sensitive consciences to the point of a pain always in their hearts and never a feeling of security and freedom. What's so ironic about this, is that Steve no doubt preaches that people who don't know God are the ones who are always feeling doubt and pain. Really Steve has stepped into the place of God by making the tiniest thing something that needs to be repented for. God expects us to be like children, happy in the peace that comes from trusting in His salvation. What were the character qualities of the people in the Bible that God says are after His own heart? Were the people in the Bible entirely perfect at all times? Did Jesus apologize for getting angry at a fig tree or for basically ripping a new one into the merchants in the Temple? What was the sin of the guy on the other cross? I mean, something put him there, right? And what did Jesus say to him? Who did Jesus say are going to get into the kingdom before the people with tons of religious rules about tithing herbs? Oh, that, right? Has Steve ever stopped to think that maybe God will judge him for tying heavy burdens on his kids and the followers of his ministry? Heavy burdens that they can not bear? What about Micah 6:8? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you mentioned Mrs. Whatzit I couldn't help but think of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which and Mrs. Who from Madeline L'Engle's brilliant "A Wrinkle in Time." Can you imagine what a difference that book might have made to Sarah's writing (or life) had she been allowed to read it? Instead of being a cipher, hiding in plain sight in a corner or retiring to her bedroom at every opportunity, Mrs. Moody could have been Mrs. Murry, intelligent, strong, capable, loving and nurturing. Instead of standing on the sidelines while others did her talking for her, Mollie could have been Meg, another strong character on a journey of self-discovery who ends up saving those she loves.

There are similarities between the two books. Mr. Moody is the mind-controlling IT and the Moody children are the inhabitants of Camazotz, always fearful, always perfect, never deviating from routine. Too bad Sarah will never be able to break the Black Thing and actually LIVE instead of just exist.

I wish there was a way of sending it to her. It's actually a very Christian book.

Reading Sarah's book is unbearably sad.

She might read it sometime later on her journey back to wholeness. :D

I just read Sarah's latest post. She included a picture of herself. She is quite pretty but I wish she could wear a shorter skirt. The long skirt she is wearing makes her look so stumpy and short. If the skirt was just above her knee and she had a shoe with a bit of a heel and maybe a bit of mascara and lip stick and a bit a jewellery…. but what am I thinking? This world is to be endured not enjoyed in 'Maxhell'.

A friend is reading the Free Moody book. She's a "normal" Christian, wears pants, works outside the home, stands up to hubs etc. Her comment: "Who in the world prays for MORE children?" Exactly.

I wonder if the Maxwell kids ever have a day where they don't feel soul-stabbing guilt and insecurity for the state of their souls.

Doubt it.

One of the pastors in my old church used to talk about having an "Open Heaven" above our heads (souls?). He described it as a kind of clean slate achieved by never sinning. In other words, having total consecration and tenderness toward whatever guilt or "check" the feelings of the Spirit sent their way. But all it really produced in the super-sensitive kids was a dreadful feeling, guilt about a small unintentional offense, about too much butter, for example. A focus on making tiny things of eternal significance. Always checking themselves for any tiny bit of wrong-doing.

Nothing was more freeing to me than giving up that burden of thinking that God required perfection in all areas. The freedom to be like a child and just trust God to show me the right path without having to basically flagellate myself at all times. Holiness is more about intention: the way a person is headed, than it is about actual perfection in every action or performing these rites of holiness like the chore pac or the schedule or never have an unhappy attitude about things that are difficult.

If the Moody children are so concerned about tiny things, and if the Maxwells are like the Moodys, they have been trained to have over-sensitive consciences to the point of a pain always in their hearts and never a feeling of security and freedom. What's so ironic about this, is that Steve no doubt preaches that people who don't know God are the ones who are always feeling doubt and pain. Really Steve has stepped into the place of God by making the tiniest thing something that needs to be repented for. God expects us to be like children, happy in the peace that comes from trusting in His salvation. What were the character qualities of the people in the Bible that God says are after His own heart? Were the people in the Bible entirely perfect at all times? Did Jesus apologize for getting angry at a fig tree or for basically ripping a new one into the merchants in the Temple? What was the sin of the guy on the other cross? I mean, something put him there, right? And what did Jesus say to him? Who did Jesus say are going to get into the kingdom before the people with tons of religious rules about tithing herbs? Oh, that, right? Has Steve ever stopped to think that maybe God will judge him for tying heavy burdens on his kids and the followers of his ministry? Heavy burdens that they can not bear? What about Micah 6:8? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.

Coco, as I noted in my review of the book, the Maxwell version of Christianity is NOT Biblical. Oddly, none of the leghumpers have commented on my review.... :)

So after checking the Amazon reviews, I noticed a sponsored post for Summer with the Moodys on my Facebook. I thought the Maxwells didn't do Facebook??

post-2794-14452000244917_thumb.png

I wonder why none of the other Moody books are on kindle?

Because Steve has outdated ideas about copyright, and he probably has a back stock of paper books he needs to sell.

Because Steve has outdated ideas about copyright, and he probably has a back stock of paper books he needs to sell.

IIRC, I think one of Anna's new tasks is converting the books to e-book format. I know they made a big honking' deal out of it when she completed one of them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that book sales aren't what they used to be, hence the loss-leader giveaway. If they're cutting back on the conference circuit, they'll have to rely more and more on evil things like the internet to hawk their products. Of course, as long as Steve okays it, it's not selling your soul or anything. The rest of us are still going to hell for it though.

ETA: Yup, from back in 2012. Remember the blog post about Anna's "special project" that had us all guessing? Turned out it was converting the first book to Kindle. In typical cryptic Stevie fashion, when someone asked if they'd be converting the others, his answer was, "We don't know." Well, apparently, they are, since there have been others.

blog.titus2.com/2012/11/27/kindle-ebook-annas-project-is-done/

So after checking the Amazon reviews, I noticed a sponsored post for Summer with the Moodys on my Facebook. I thought the Maxwells didn't do Facebook??

Interesting. I wonder whose account/what page is behind the promotion.

I think the amazon ad on FB might be similar to the ones I see on facebook that feature my own items on ebay. amazon like ebay probably places ads on facebook that are geared to what you've recently viewed in hopes you will be inspired click on it.

I think the amazon ad on FB might be similar to the ones I see on facebook that feature my own items on ebay. amazon like ebay probably places ads on facebook that are geared to what you've recently viewed in hopes you will be inspired click on it.

Ah, that makes sense - Amazon is promoting products on its site vs. the Maxwells promoting their Amazon product.

I like the review that pointed out how Mr. Moody is a bit of a jerk, telling his wife to quit complaining (wrt her concern that the heat in church will trigger a migraine). If life with the Moodys is a thinly veiled depiction of life with the Maxwells, then Steve is apparently quite deft with the emotional and verbal abuse.

I like the review that pointed out how Mr. Moody is a bit of a jerk, telling his wife to quit complaining (wrt her concern that the heat in church will trigger a migraine). If life with the Moodys is a thinly veiled depiction of life with the Maxwells, then Steve is apparently quite deft with the emotional and verbal abuse.

That reminded me of a certain Ken Anderson and his whole stand-in-church-until-it-hurts-so-much-you-have-to-sit situation with Lori.

A friend is reading the Free Moody book. She's a "normal" Christian, wears pants, works outside the home, stands up to hubs etc. Her comment: "Who in the world prays for MORE children?" Exactly.

Really? I know plenty of nice middle class Christians praying for more children. Most of them are starting in their early 30 and finding it more difficult than expected.

Really? I know plenty of nice middle class Christians praying for more children. Most of them are starting in their early 30 and finding it more difficult than expected.

It just seems odd that a family with four kids is praying for more children, especially the children themselves.

Is that a Jawbone UP in the photo of Sarah on her blog post about how it was a Wildly Successful giveaway? I hope Steve isn't making them participate in a pedometer competition and it is, in fact, something she wanted herself.

It just seems odd that a family with four kids is praying for more children, especially the children themselves.

The Bates and Duggars children have both prayed for more babies....

I finally finished this literary work of art last night. I think the fact that it took me over a week to complete a short book meant for children says it all. It was ponderous, plodding, poorly structured and the only thing that held my interest was wondering if it would get any worse as I went along. I might as well have been reading a technical manual.

The thing is though, that the Maxwells DON'T CARE if Sarah couldn't write her way out of a paper bag. For them, it's not the medium, it's the message—Jesus, Jesus and more Jesus. So what if the delivery is dry and boring? They probably count on their audience being unaware of what truly great—or even merely good—literature is, so they'll realize how poorly Sarah's books compare.

Ugh. So sad.

People do pray for children but it is weird how obsessed the Moody kids are with having another sibling.

People do pray for children but it is weird how obsessed the Moody kids are with having another sibling.

Truth. "Are you pregnant now, mom? How about now? How about now?" It seemed like they were asking her every other morning. It's like, kids, chill out! Dad is giving it to mom as often as he can, these things just take time!

I finally finished this literary work of art last night. I think the fact that it took me over a week to complete a short book meant for children says it all. It was ponderous, plodding, poorly structured and the only thing that held my interest was wondering if it would get any worse as I went along. I might as well have been reading a technical manual.

The thing is though, that the Maxwells DON'T CARE if Sarah couldn't write her way out of a paper bag. For them, it's not the medium, it's the message—Jesus, Jesus and more Jesus. So what if the delivery is dry and boring? They probably count on their audience being unaware of what truly great—or even merely good—literature is, so they'll realize how poorly Sarah's books compare.

Ugh. So sad.

Even worse, the real message of the books is "You're not good enough. You will never be good enough."

Ugh. So sad.

I guess they are writing these books only for other fundamentalists. If the books were better written and interesting they might be able to win some nominal Christians over to the Maxwell way of life.

Hmmm, maybe it's better they're not well written.

I guess they are writing these books only for other fundamentalists. If the books were better written and interesting they might be able to win some nominal Christians over to the Maxwell way of life.

Hmmm, maybe it's better they're not well written.

What worries me is that Fundie-lites or their relatives might buy the book as good Christian kid lit. I don't think it is that dangerous because most children will find it unreadable and give up by page 3, but I'd prefer the Maxwell coffers aren't filled by people buying the Moody books.

I'm still working on my review. I don't want it to be too repetitive of other negative reviews so I'm trying another angle.

Hi, Steve! I tell you when I post my review if you tell me exactly where John was on the Indian sub-continent.

Truth. "Are you pregnant now, mom? How about now? How about now?" It seemed like they were asking her every other morning. It's like, kids, chill out! Dad is giving it to mom as often as he can, these things just take time!

Yeah, I'm not about to disagree that how it's presented in the book is weird and unrealistic. It was the idea that it's weird for people to pray for more children that I was commenting on.

Is that a Jawbone UP in the photo of Sarah on her blog post about how it was a Wildly Successful giveaway? I hope Steve isn't making them participate in a pedometer competition and it is, in fact, something she wanted herself.

Yep, she's been wearing it for a while now. I too wondered if she was pressured into it because she seems to be a bit heavier than she used to be.

Archived