IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

You'd almost think the Moodys were caricatures but I have a feeling they are more reality and less an exaggeration.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, one more time with Maude, Jane and Alexa. I'm having a little too much fund and don't really want to stop.

When Mrs. Bagwell came to retrieve Snickers, the children were a little sad. Even with all Snickers’ quirks, he had still been an interesting pet . Upon her arrival at their house, Mrs. Bagwell commented over and over how “well†Snickers looked. She was so pleased with their care that she paid them double what they charged. She said she would be sure to recommend their services to her friends. After she left, the children wondered what animal they would pet-sit next.

Maxwell, Sarah (2013-01-23). Summer with the Moodys (Moody Family Series Book 1) (Kindle Locations 550-553). Communication Concepts, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

"My, how well Snickers looks!" Maude exclaimed. Oh my god, I can't believe he's still alive!

The oldest girl sadly handed over the bag of Rat supplies and said. "Thank you for letting us watch him."

Maude felt a stab of pity for the poor child. She thought about offering to let the Moody children keep the rat, but the look on Mrs. Moody's face made her decide that that was a really bad idea.

"Now, let's see," said Maude, rummaging through her purse, "I owe you.... $10 a day... times ten days... $200..."

"Actually," Mitch piped up, "it only equals up to $100."

"Right you are young man, $200 it is," Maude said, handing over a signed check. Alexa's jaw dropped, and Jane face palmed.

I should say something, Alexa thought with horror, grandma's going and giving away money....

Before she could speak, however, she caught the look on her grandma's face. She looked at the Moody children, who looked like Christmas had come early. Alexa closed her mouth, looked at Jane, and gave the well-what-can-we-do face, and Jane gave Alexa the We-can't-really-stop-her face in return.

But the girls thought they understood.

"Well," said Maude, preparing to leave, "I'll, uh.... definitely be sure to recommend you to my friends.... should they, uh, require your services."

She and the girls left quickly, but not before overhearing Mollie say, "I wonder what animal we'll be taking care of next."

Jane turned around and said, "Well, actually, I do have a pet crab--"

Maude turned around and put an arm around Jane, steering her firmly down the sidewalk. "I think we've messed with them enough, my dear, let's go home."

You'd almost think the Moodys were caricatures but I have a feeling they are more reality and less an exaggeration.

I decided to read this not because I want to snark on Sarah, I wanted to read it to get a glimpse into what life was really like in the Maxwell house. I have little doubt Sarah is writing what she knows, and all she knows is life in Maxwell. That being said onto the next two chapters....

Dad is tired and goes to take a nap. The kids are in the living room reading books Dad checked out at the library, the boys read books about talking care of dogs, Mollie, who is 9, read a biography of some preacher also named Moody. The kids get an idea of when Dad wakes up they should take Honey to the nursing home to see her owner. Dad agrees and they all go, except Mom, who is once again not feeling well and stays behind.

At the nursing home they meet some elderly guy in the hall (Sarah uses elderly like a billion times in this chapter, ugh). Honey's owner is happy to see them. And she is reading her Bible! Memorizing scripture to be exact. You see, she doesn't watch TV like the rest of the people in the nursing home, she puts her time to good use memorizing scripture! The children find her to be such a blessing!!

The next morning Mom announces tonight is family nigh! It is a described as a special night the family has on occasion that involves a special meal, bible time and an activity! Mom puts the kids in charge of dinner and the decide to make Velveeta Chilli Dip! Mom gives the kids water balloons to play with and she disappears for the rest of the day, again. The kids play with water balloons then make the dip and then realize they need dessert. Boxed brownies. There was some boring crisis about almost not measuring something right (these kids are seriously scared of making mistakes). Dad arrives home for the special evening. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next chapter!!!

From reading this, I have little doubt Teri continued to suffer from PPD after she started to bring the reversals into the world.

Alright, one more time with Maude, Jane and Alexa. I'm having a little too much fund and don't really want to stop.

"My, how well Snickers looks!" Maude exclaimed. Oh my god, I can't believe he's still alive!

The oldest girl sadly handed over the bag of Rat supplies and said. "Thank you for letting us watch him."

Maude felt a stab of pity for the poor child. She thought about offering to let the Moody children keep the rat, but the look on Mrs. Moody's face made her decide that that was a really bad idea.

"Now, let's see," said Maude, rummaging through her purse, "I owe you.... $10 a day... times ten days... $200..."

"Actually," Mitch piped up, "it only equals up to $100."

"Right you are young man, $200 it is," Maude said, handing over a signed check. Alexa's jaw dropped, and Jane face palmed.

I should say something, Alexa thought with horror, grandma's going and giving away money....

Before she could speak, however, she caught the look on her grandma's face. She looked at the Moody children, who looked like Christmas had come early. Alexa closed her mouth, looked at Jane, and gave the well-what-can-we-do face, and Jane gave Alexa the We-can't-really-stop-her face in return.

But the girls thought they understood.

"Well," said Maude, preparing to leave, "I'll, uh.... definitely be sure to recommend you to my friends.... should they, uh, require your services."

She and the girls left quickly, but not before overhearing Mollie say, "I wonder what animal we'll be taking care of next."

Jane turned around and said, "Well, actually, I do have a pet crab--"

Maude turned around and put an arm around Jane, steering her firmly down the sidewalk. "I think we've messed with them enough, my dear, let's go home."

These are infinity better than the real thing!

At some point, I think Ms. Maude needs to put that condescending, know-it all of a jerk Mr. Moody in his place.

At some point, I think Ms. Maude needs to put that condescending, know-it all of a jerk Mr. Moody in his place.

You know, I think I can make that work... coming up in the next episode! Or maybe later, since Maude probably wants to mess with them for whole summer before doing that, so she can milk the situation for all it's worth. Maybe I'll have Jane or Alexa have a go at him.... or introduce other Genericnonmoody characters....

oh the possibilities, I am going to have so much fun in the next few days.

I flipped to the end because I just couldn't stand the suspense. /sarcasm.

Yes.

I figured they would have a baby, but I could see Sarah ending the book with a lesson about why they can't have a dog. That would be a very Steve thing to do. Does the book ever explain why a tree house was a bad idea? The kid wanted to use it to pretend to be a missionary.

You know, I think I can make that work... coming up in the next episode! Or maybe later, since Maude probably wants to mess with them for whole summer before doing that, so she can milk the situation for all it's worth. Maybe I'll have Jane or Alexa have a go at him.... or introduce other Genericnonmoody characters....

oh the possibilities, I am going to have so much fun in the next few days.

Could she do it in a shirt that shows a hint of cleavage. We know how upset Steve Mr. Moody is about a bit of boob!

Could she do it in a shirt that shows a hint of cleavage. We know how upset Steve Mr. Moody is about a bit of boob!

ooooooh good idea! In fact, maybe I'll have her sit out and suntan in a bikini while the Moodys work on her lawn!

Oh, and for those who are dying of curiosity, Mrs. Moody gets pregnant with Twins. I don't remember if they get a dog.

No, the treehouse was never explained, but we all know it's terrible to PRETEND to be a missionary when you should be out there doing REAL missionary work.

Actually, probably for the same reason I was never allowed to play in a treehouse growing up: my dad was over protective and no treehouse was ever going to be safe enough for me.

Alright, I deviated quite a bit from the text from this one. I also wasn't sure where I wanted to go with this, so I did 2 versions. They all start the same though:

Maude Bagwell quietly observed the Moody family –all dressed alike this morning in khakis and olive green shirts, with beige gloves-- walked up the sidewalk toward their house. What do they want now.

“Good afternoon Mrs. Marple, how are you this fine afternoon?â€

“I am well, thank you, and yourself?â€

“I am very happy to be alive on this blessed day that the Lord has made. My wife, Emily, and I noticed that your hard has been getting overgrown, and we heard you recently had surgery--â€

Get to the point, Jim, you're not helping my recovery right now.

“And we thought we'd come to offer our services by having a work party at your house. We have brought our own tools in the van, and would love to do your yardwork absolutely free of charge.â€

Maude blinked. She was trying to think of a polite way to say no, but the yard did need work. The grass was almost approaching the 16 inch mark, and the city would file a complaint if it got any higher. Jane was busy working at a day camp, and Alexa had her paramedics course. Larry, Jane's brother, normally was happy to mow the lawn and weed the flower beds for her but this summer he had turned 18 and joined the army. And of course, she herself couldn't do it, what with her recent back surgery. Soon.... she promised herself, soon you will recover and be allowed to bend over again.... Maude yanked her mind back to the Moodys, who were standing there with identical gummy smiles on their faces.

“Er, yes. Alright, then.†She said. “Make sure you don't pull up all the mint Alexa's growing behind the toolshed that she thinks I don't know about, though.†And Maude made sure to point out the mint plants, so the Moodys wouldn't think they were weeds. I still don't trust them... but they did make Mrs. GenericnonMoodywoman's yard look nice, even if the DID leave the dog in the house to make messes....

A few hours later, Jane's car pulled into the driveway. She and Alexa were home from camp and class, respectively. Grandma Maude was in a bikini on the roof, sunbathing. The Moodys had their heads bent over their work, trying not to look at her.

“What the heck is that weird family doing in our yard?†Jane asked.

“Planting secret bombs because we're not Christian enough for them?â€

“Don't give them ideas,†Jane said, stepping out of the car. Alexa got out too, taking a big swig out of her water bottle as she closed the car door.

Maude came out of the house just then, still in her bikini, with some lemonade. The Moodys thanked her politely and took a break.

“Gee dad,†the youngest boy, Mitch, said. “It sure is good to help the widows, just like the bible says in James 1:27!â€

Maude stopped in her tracks. Widows? Widows? WHAT?!

Water flew out Alexa's nose, and she started coughing. Jane face palmed, which was a bad idea, since she still had the car keys in her hand and succeeded only in klonking herself on the forehead.

Fortunately, Mr. Moody mistook Alexa's tears of laughter for tears of sorrow. He glared at Mitch before turning to Maude and saying. “I'm sorry.... I didn't mean to bring up the sensitive topic. Has he been gone long?â€

Maude's mouth opened, then closed several times before finally settling on “uh....well... kind of...â€

Alexa finally stopped coughing. Jane offered her a tissue to wipe her face. “It's alright,†she told Mr. Moody. “It's just... we all miss grandpa very much....â€

ending 1:

“Now see here Mr. Moody,†said Maude, who had finally found her voice.

“Well,†said Mrs. Moody, “time to get back to yard work.â€

Max started up the lawnmower and Maude's protests were drowned out as Jane and Alexa each took her hands and led her back to the house.

“Now grandma!†Jane exclaimed.

“Don't stop me Jane, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind!â€

“Oh but grandma, we could have so much fun with this....†Alexa said.

“Yes yes,†Jane said eagerly. “They wanted to mow our lawn because you're a widow.... if they keep this up, we could have free yardwork all summer.â€

““Besides,†Alexa cut in, “think of how Mr. Moody's head is going to explode at the end of the summer when you tell him he's been helping an evil, sinful, divorcee rather than a helpless widow?â€

Maude simmered for a minute, then slowly started to smile. “Oh girls,†she said. “I've taught you so well, what would I do without you?â€

“Your own yardwork,†said Jane.

ending 2:

But Maude had finally found her voice. “So.†she said in a dangerous voice. “So.â€

The Moodys looked confused. Alexa thought briefly of running into the house before the explosion hit, then decided she'd rather stay and watch the fireworks.

“So,†Maude repeated. “You noticed an old woman living alone, and just assumed my husband died?â€

“Uh....†Said Mr. Moody.

Jane inhaled sharply, then exhaled.

Alexa carefully controlled her facial features, digging her nails into her palms to avoid.... laughter? Anger? Both?

“I could very well still have a husband; he could be on vacation, or in the army, or... or What makes you even think I was ever married in the first place?â€

“Well, uh-â€

“My eyes, Mr. Moody, are up here.â€

“You...†Said Mr. Moody, forcing his eyes away from Maude's cleavage. “You are Mrs. Marple, are you--â€

“It's Ms. Marple.†Maude was really hitting her stride now. "And as a matter of fact," she said, her voice shaking with rage. "I divorced my husband cuz he was a lyin' cheatin' scumbag. Which, if you happen to have read in the bible, is a Jesus approved reason for divorce!"

Mr. Moody made a noise like he was about to start speaking, but Maude Bagwell hadn't finished with him yet.

“And you, Mr. Moody,†she said, jabbing her finger in his face, “would do well to remember the verse, 'judge not, for you shall be judged by the same standard you use to judge others.†And with that, she turned on her heel and marched into the house, leaving the stunned Moodys staring after her. Jane noted that Mr. Moody's eyes strayed down to Maude's butt.

“Come on Jane,†Alexa said. “We'd better, uh...â€

“Go make dinner for grandma!â€

“Right, come on!â€

They ran into the house after Maude, then opened one of the windows to listen to the Moody's conversation.

“Should we leave, dad?†Max asked his father. “That lady was rude, and she's sunbathing on the roof half naked. I'm having a hard time not looking at her!â€

Jane and Alexa each threw each other identical looks of disgust. How old was this kid, 10? Perving on their grandma? Disgusting.

“No, children,†said Mr. Moody, “we will finish that which we have started, for the Lord wants us to persevere and finish our tasks according to our abilities. We will continue to work here and we will go home afterwards and have a special prayer at bible time for Mrs.... or Miss, Marple. We will ask The Lord for advice as to how we may best witness to her.â€

“And we will make sure to ask her to be fully clothed if we ever come back,†They heard Mrs. Moody say in a barely audible voice. “Think of the children...†the lawnmower started up again, and the 2 cousins couldn't hear any more.

“So....she's worried about the children, huh?" Said Alexa icily, closing the window, “more like the overgrown one she's married to, no doubt."

“Well,†said Jane, “two can play at this game.â€

“What's your plan, Jane?â€

“They want to witness to us? Think about what would happen if we were to witness back.â€

Through Chapt. 6 and I had serious issues with this chapter.

Turns out Dad had a great idea, everyone can go over to Honey's owner's house and mow the lawn and weed the flower bed this Sat! What fun! The morning starts out badly, Mollie can't get her hair the way she wants it, so she goes to the boys room. One of them is making is bed, but informs his siblings that he struggling with tucking the sheet in. The other boy is looking for his work shirt, but can't find it, and tells the other brother he forgot to do their laundry. Mollie laughs and one of the boys tells her, it might be better if she just left (very politely). Well Dad is out in the hall and overhears, is not happy with their attitudes and tells them they all need to ask for forgiveness. For what, I have no freaking clue, apparently for just being human. They all feel ashamed and ask for forgiveness.

Then they all get in the van to drive over. Dad leads them in prayer to bless them as they go about their project for the day (are you freaking kidding me, they need to pray over yard work?!?!) and then reminds Jesus of the special love they have for helping widows. WTF?! Apparently Dad has never hear that pride commeth before the fall.

So they get to the house, Dad doles out the chores for the day. After he is done showing the eldest boy how to work the lawnmower, apparently his only job is to supervise the kids work to make sure it is done right.

When they are done Dad says, and I quote

Isn't it wonderful how God designed families to work together? There are a lot of things I might have selfishly chosen to do, but I can't think of anything that would have been better than a morning of hard work with my family to bless a widow.

I.Can't.Even. Living with Steve must have been hell growing up.

Oh my goodness... just reading that was triggering for me. Parents finding fault for being humans, parents spouting off nonsense, ahhhh, make it stop! :hand:

We've misjudged Sarah. A Maxwell mole just sent me the following documents.

To: Dad

Date: May 7, 2001

Re: Draft Chapter 7 Moody Book

Cc: Mom

Prayerfully submitted for your review and revisions, please find attached the first draft of Chapter 7. I have tentatively entitled it “Molly Has An Idea!†I look forward to your response at God’s earliest convenience.

Joyfully His

Attachment.

Molly Has An Idea. Draft 1.

After lunch Mom put her hand to her forehead and groaned. “I’m sorry, children,†she said. “I have a headache and need some time with God this afternoon. Daddy is busy with the Despair! Conference schedule so please don’t disturb him. Molly, you can look after Maddy, can’t you? If you run out of chores then you can do extra Bible time and work on your memory verses.â€

The children exchanged glances as Mom went upstairs. Then Molly whispered, “Is it a headache, is she getting depressed again or do you think …?

“It’s another reversal,†said Max. “Dad keeps telling us to ask Jesus for one.

“Oh, no!†squeaked Mitch.

“Now, Mitch,†scolded Molly. “Maddy isn’t so bad. I do have to look after her all the time but I’m quite fond of her. She’ll be much more fun when she starts to talk properly. We’ve finished all the chores so what shall we really do this afternoon?â€

“Are there any water balloons left?†asked Mitch.

“No.†said Max. “We broke them all in that epic water balloon battle last week.â€

“It was amazing and well worth the time in the prayer closet,†laughed Molly.

The children sat quietly for a few minutes until Mitch sighed and said, “I do wish we had a dog to play with.â€

“Oh, please!†scoffed Max. “That pet sitting thing Dad encouraged us to do was a complete failure. After Dad sat on Snickers and Mom killed Peaches with an overdose of insulin not even Dad’s leghumpers will trust us with their pets.â€

Molly was indignant. “Look, boys, at least your stupid business got off the ground! I had to waste a whole week diligently writing and rewriting a letter to a state official. I could have simply googled and found the answer to the question if Dad let us use the internet. Then I wasn’t even allowed to promote my baking business personally. No wonder no-one wanted to my ginger briquettes!â€

“I know, Molly. It is must be hard to be a girl,†said Max. “Perhaps we should pray about how we can prove to the parental units that we are far more responsible than they are. Perhaps then God will give us a puppy.â€

The children all closed their eyes and tried to pray. Maddy took her thumb out of her mouth and tried hard to pray too. She wanted a dog so much. She was only keeping up the stupid baby talk and babyish behavior to get out of chores but she understood that her days as the littlest Moody were numbered.

Molly suddenly jumped to her feet. “God gave me the answer!†she shouted. “We need to be practically perfect in every way to prove that we deserve a puppy! So that is what we will pretend to be. Let’s start by making dinner. Mom forgot to defrost the pot roast for dinner again, so we’ll make green spinach smoothies instead and tell Dad they are really healthy and nutritious. There is a box of brownie mix in the pantry so we’ll make that for dessert. We won’t starve. Dad is always too busy asking the check-out people at Costco whether they know where they will go when they die to notice the extra supplies I sneak into the cart. I hid them behind the animal crackers in the pantry.â€

“Great idea, Molly!†said Max.

“We can clean the fridge and dust the ceiling fans too,†laughed Mitch.

The children worked fast. They made brownies and smoothies. Then they cleaned the kitchen up beautifully. When Dad came out of the office and Mom came downstairs they were all lined up in a row like smiling little Godly robots.

“Hi, Dad and Mom,†said Max. “We wanted to bless you so we made dinner and cleaned the kitchen.â€

Dad looked around the kitchen and smiled. “You children make my heart glad when you work so diligently,†he said. Mom smiled too. “We have trained you well,†Dad added. “A leghumper who is a back yard breeder just contacted me because God told him we wanted a dog. As you have worked so hard today I think I will bring the puppy home tomorrow. It was very cheap because it was the runt of the litter.â€

They children jumped for joy and praised the Lord for answering their prayers. Maddy chuckled quietly and put her thumb back into her mouth. She had big plans for blackmailing her siblings in the future.

To: Sarah

Date: May 9, 2001

Re: Draft Chapter 7 Moody Book

Sarah, I am disgusted. This is not what the Moody book should be like at all. I have decided that you are a corrupting influence in this Godly house. I must ask you to leave and never return.

Mom and I will be spending the next month fasting, weeping and praying for your soul. We will then write the Moody book ourselves. Luckily I invented a robot who will fill your place at conferences. Android Sarah doesn't have good conversational skills but will be a much better Maxwell than you.

To: Dad

Date: May 9, 2001

Re: Fuck you and the horse you rode in on

By the time you stop praying and weeping and read this I will be gone. You know that ungodly man I met at the Death! conference who you wouldn't let me court? He is waiting outside with the get away car and we will be married in Vegas as soon as possible. FUCK YOU!

I so wish this were true!

In all seriousness, I wished that Sarah's video about the Moody books had come with a trigger warning. I have purposely desensitized myself to triggers, but I could not watch her video because it brought forth feelings of my hell through a lifetime of emotional abuse by my parent. She is nothing but a sock puppet put to use for her father's psychotic, narcissistic needs. It takes one to know one and I could see it just in that video. Again. I don't want to diagnosis and it could be pure projection, but watching that video caused a visceral reaction in me that I cannot shake and I wish I had never watched it.

Those Moody children are so painful! Sanctimonious little creatures - just like their parents. Ugh!

And the odd conversations people have in the book... Mr Bell comes to the Moody house so the kids can pet-sit his guinea pig. The kids introduce themselves and Mitch gives some tortuous explanation of how to remember which is Mitch and which is Max. Then...

"Very good." Mr Bell set the cage down and sank down onto the couch "Do tell me something interesting."

Tell me something interesting - who says that to a bunch of kids they have just met? Or is he pleading for better conversation as Mitch just bored him witless? Oh wow, if this is life in the Maxwell home, I'd have gone insane by now. The excruciating minutiae, the stunted conversations, the stupid asshole father - arrggghh!

The morning starts out badly, Mollie can't get her hair the way she wants it, so she goes to the boys room. One of them is making is bed, but informs his siblings that he struggling with tucking the sheet in. The other boy is looking for his work shirt, but can't find it, and tells the other brother he forgot to do their laundry. Mollie laughs and one of the boys tells her, it might be better if she just left (very politely). Well Dad is out in the hall and overhears, is not happy with their attitudes and tells them they all need to ask for forgiveness. For what, I have no freaking clue, apparently for just being human. They all feel ashamed and ask for forgiveness.

I just downloaded the book too and this part mystified me. What had they done wrong that needed apologizing? They were all just politely talking to each other. It was so weird.

In all seriousness, I wished that Sarah's video about the Moody books had come with a trigger warning. I have purposely desensitized myself to triggers, but I could not watch her video because it brought forth feelings of my hell through a lifetime of emotional abuse by my parent. She is nothing but a sock puppet put to use for her father's psychotic, narcissistic needs. It takes one to know one and I could see it just in that video. Again. I don't want to diagnosis and it could be pure projection, but watching that video caused a visceral reaction in me that I cannot shake and I wish I had never watched it.

It was very disturbing, I agree. She is clearly reciting something, and her affect is very artificial. Even without having any triggers myself, I was left very uncomfortable.

Mitch split one of his muffins in half and spread a huge chunk of butter over both portions. Maddie peeked around his arm and said loudly, “Mommy, Mitch used lots of butah.â€

Mom glanced at Mitch. “What have Dad and I told you is a reasonable amount of butter?â€

Mitch remove a portion of the excess butter from his muffin with his knife. “About a third of what I put on. Please forgive me, Mom.â€

“I forgive you."

WTF is even going on in this book? The Moody children are constantly begging forgiveness for every single thing they do, even when they didn't do anything wrong to begin with! "I forgive you, son, for spreading your muffin with the amount of butter you wanted."

ETA: Aaaaaaaah! Mrs Moody continues, "It makes my heart happy when you repent." Repent? Repent for what? What on earth is wrong with Sarah Maxwell?

Yeah, that was a flashback to moments as a kid where dad would start screaming at me about the amount of butter he was using, the amount of food I was taking, etc.

At least Maddie got told off for tattling, the little snotbox.

WTF is even going on in this book? The Moody children are constantly begging forgiveness for every single thing they do, even when they didn't do anything wrong to begin with! "I forgive you, son, for spreading your muffin with the amount of butter you wanted."

ETA: Aaaaaaaah! Mrs Moody continues, "It makes my heart happy when you repent." Repent? Repent for what? What on earth is wrong with Sarah Maxwell?

I can imagine teaching your child not to use to much of some stuff. My son likes to each peanut butter and will just like the peanut butter off a slice of bread. So, I talk to him about eating the bread too, and I don't put a ton of peanut butter on his bread, because it gets everywhere.

But him wanting peanut butter is not really sinful. It's just something he likes.

Normal childhood behavior in Maxhell is innately sinful.

I just downloaded the book too and this part mystified me. What had they done wrong that needed apologizing? They were all just politely talking to each other. It was so weird.

I still have no clue what they needed to ask for forgiveness from. The kids come across of petrified of anything but perfection, and even self correct themselves about the strangest things. There is an old episode of the Twilight Zone, were people can get a glass of "Instant Smile", it is kind of what I feel like reading this book.

Back onto the book, ugh dear god this is painful. Apparently the "special family night activity" was a game of hide and seek. Really? On any given day in the summer we would play that. It was not a once and a while treat. Next chapter is a painfully long one about going to church. Mom forgot to take our a roast to defrost for dinner, no worried, Dad saved the day and remembered! On the way to church Mom notices the windows are open, and thinks the AC must be broke. She is worried the heat will trigger one of her headaches. Dad basically tells her to suck it up and think of what to be grateful for. Steve Mr. Moody is a prick.

"Oh, heat triggers your migraines and the AC at church is broken? Too bad, so sad." I perked up at that scene because obviously they weren't going to actually go to church if it was going to make her sick, right? But then Mr Moody was a callous asshole and indifferent to his wife's pain.

Oh my goodness... just reading that was triggering for me. Parents finding fault for being humans, parents spouting off nonsense, ahhhh, make it stop! :hand:

Holy crap.

Circling back to this thread after being offline for a day. Whoa. That is a page straight out of the Daily Lives of the Maxwells. This tells you exactly what life is like in that house. This makes my own Maxwellian family look downright FUN!

So Mr. Moody watches the children work and then tells them how unselfish he is to do this? Steve is evil.

I think someone should take mrs moody to the doctor. Those frequent headaches can't possibly be a good sign. I mean, maybe there nothing, but if they're that frequent they should be checked out, no?

These books are pretty much what life was like growing up in Maxhell. I shudder. Asking for forgiveness over speading too much butter on your muffin? Told to suck it up when you have a migraine?

Archived