IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Courting - Part 2

Coconut Flan

Now I'm scared that some random European visiting the US will see me walking around in a maxi dress and think i'm a fundie... *dyes hair green*
\

The Duggars appear really "hillbilly" to Europeans, especially the weddings with groomsmen in suspenders and people with bare feet. Running from the altar after the wedding, ditto.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my maxi skirts and I'm not fundie. I have a grey one for the house and it's my equivalent to yoga pants. :)

This.

Princess-Charlotte-Natural-Front-Camera-First-Official-Christening-Portraits.jpg

Oh yes, every woman in Europe totes looks and dresses like the Dutchess. Just FYI, very few american brides are barefoot in church. But your euro arrogance is cute.

:roll: yea, mine too. Been in Europe several times, and when you get out of the business/young professional/trendy crowd of any country or region, there are frumps and frumpettes of all ages just living their lives in wash and wear glory.

The Duggars on TLC are projecting what it looks like to be conservative Americans in the USA. Wear long skirts, strange weddings, and lots of kids. There is no information about the Duggar's cult in the show. So that is why people in Europe would think that.

Also, I was in the USA last month.. New York state, Midwest.. four weeks and never saw a long Duggar type skirt even once. Maybe it's regional in appeal. Could it be the Duggars started the trend?

And Librul, I was asked what the height of fashion is.. and today that is definitely the Duchess from the christening of her new daughter. People on the street might look like this...

[snipped image]

Okay, well I live in a part of Canada that is essentially in the same region as the American Midwest. I go out every day, and spend eight hours sitting in front of a window that faces onto a busy pedestrian thoroughfare. I live in a mid-size working/middle class city. There aren't many things I'd say I'm 100% sure about, but I am 100% sure that the dresses and skirts the Duggars wear are very popular amongst the general populace right now. The Duggars most assuredly did not start the trend. I'm not saying anyone has to like what they wear, but it's hardly unique to the Duggars, or indicative of them being backwards style-wise. When I say style I'm not talking about the catwalk in London, I'm talking about what people go into the mall in suburban America and buy.

Josiah can only back out if he discovers sinful hand-holding or something in her past. He gave his word. She, however, can jump ship if her father approves. Swim hard Marjorie! You can still be free. And you won't be stuck like Prissy is.

What happens if a couple starts courting and the guy realizes she's completely crazy pants (crazy skirt?) or is a complete sociopath? Does he just refuse to ever propose and hope she gets tired of waiting? Does he act crazy or like an asshole too in attempts to drive her away?

I mean he'd probably be completely fucked...

It's hot and humid as hell here. The only people I see wearing maxi skirts/dresses are fundies. By the way, I hate hats. No woman looks good in those butt ugly hats, not even the Dutchess of Cambridge. Yeah, I'm showing my American arrogance.

goldfishgoddess where in Europe do you live? Because down here in spain maxi skirts and dresses have been everywhere for over a year. Patterns with stripes? Yes, you're right about it, haven't seen them around and they are not the most amazing thing. And to compare normal europeans with someone who dress like going to a daytime wedding everyday is just plain dumb

Seems like we've touched a nerve here with the maxi dresses. I remember a similar trend in the 1970's on the heels of a show called "Little House on the Prairie." Long dresses with fussy smocked tops were worn, and the fad lasted until everyone who wore one realized they looked a lot like nightgowns.

Even Jessa is wearing knee-length skirts now in the heat. When it's rainy, hot and humid, who wants all that extra fabric flopping around? I'm still thinking the long skirts are a regional fad, because as I said I was in New York, Chicago, Cleveland and several other places in the Midwest and never saw one maxi dress in four weeks. Maybe they are more popular in areas with drought and not so popular in rainy hot places. Had I seen one, I would have instantly thought I was in the presence of a Duggar or fundie because I'm not used to seeing them outside of on TLC with the Duggars.

The press in UK is really digging dirt on the Duggars now, since a UK version of TLC had 19KAC in the lineup. I don't think the fine line of fundamentalism vs. conservative is understood in UK because it really isn't mentioned in the show.

Oh, and I hate the English hats too.. most average women just wear them to weddings, but the royals seem to wear them all the time to formal events. But since someone asked me what the "height of fashion" was, I put up a photo of the Duchess because she really is that.

Patterns with stripes? Yes, you're right about it, haven't seen them around and they are not the most amazing thing. And to compare normal europeans with someone who dress like going to a daytime wedding everyday is just plain dumb

You guys need to read back in the thread. Someone asked me what the height of fashion was, so I posted the Duchess. "Height of fashion", not what the average person wears in the summer in Europe.

can't say they are popular where I live. They may be worn by hippie or bohemian types but otherwise the only long skirts/fundie wear I see is on the muslims who are always covered (whether it is a traditional dresscode or whether it is just long jerseys and pants) otherwise jeans seem more populr here.

Maxi dresses/skirts are definitely en vogue here in Berlin. I love them, and I'm neither fundie nor hippie/boho (though I've come to the conclusion that they are much better suited to 80 degree weather than they are to 100 degree weather :lol:). I have a picture from a summer party last year with three girlfriends where we are all wearing maxi dresses (unintentionally, obvs). The horizontal stripes.. yeah, these aren't so popular in Europe, from what I can tell. Now the weird t-shirt-under-dress combi that Marjorie was sporting... that is one dead fundie give away.

I live in a bigger city in the Midwest and they're quite popular here. I've worn them in Chicago and New York and saw many others wearing them as well.

I'm not seeing much of this anymore - thank God. These aren't sooo bad but every so often I'd see a girl (with mom) and the shorts are so non-existent it basically looked like she wasn't wearing pants. I felt like asking the mother what she was thinking....

short-shorts-erics.jpg

goldfishgoddess where in Europe do you live?

This is what I want to know too. I am American but I live in the Netherlands right now and people here UNEQUIVOCALLY dress in the ugliest clothes I have ever seen. I know at least two other people on this forum who I really respect are from the Netherlands, and I really am sorry, but it's true in my very humble own opinion. I also lived in Paris for a while, and while the sense of fashion there was much better, it also involved a lot of women dressed in all black with heels I'd be scared to walk in. Things also seem to vary A LOT in Europe depending on whether you are in a big city or in the countryside. Like I said, in Paris, the sense of fashion was reasonably high (though not really higher than in NYC where I've also spent A LOT of time) but if you went a few hours outside to the vineyards or down South toward Marseilles, they sure as hell were not dressing like the Parisians.

Just like the USA not all European countries and cities are the same. Maybe you do go outside and really see people only dressed like in the pictures you posted with no maxi dresses or skirts to be seen (though I kinda doubt it since H&M is selling them right now, and in all big European cities people do shop there) but that is not the case everywhere in Europe and to pretend like it is is ridiculous.

I have on the other hand have heard that the general cut for clothes in the US is horrendous, especially concerning jeans :lol:

I live in a bigger city in the Midwest and they're quite popular here. I've worn them in Chicago and New York and saw many others wearing them as well.

Agreed. My trendy little sister wears them all the time with tank tops. Here are some news articles about the trend suggesting its been around for a while:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/fashion/27MAXI.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/fashion/07SPRING.html

I think its also a very "hipster" trend. When the style was short and showing off the body the hipster response was to go long and modest.

Seems like we've touched a nerve here with the maxi dresses. I remember a similar trend in the 1970's on the heels of a show called "Little House on the Prairie." Long dresses with fussy smocked tops were worn, and the fad lasted until everyone who wore one realized they looked a lot like nightgowns.

Even Jessa is wearing knee-length skirts now in the heat. When it's rainy, hot and humid, who wants all that extra fabric flopping around? I'm still thinking the long skirts are a regional fad, because as I said I was in New York, Chicago, Cleveland and several other places in the Midwest and never saw one maxi dress in four weeks. Maybe they are more popular in areas with drought and not so popular in rainy hot places. Had I seen one, I would have instantly thought I was in the presence of a Duggar or fundie because I'm not used to seeing them outside of on TLC with the Duggars.

The press in UK is really digging dirt on the Duggars now, since a UK version of TLC had 19KAC in the lineup. I don't think the fine line of fundamentalism vs. conservative is understood in UK because it really isn't mentioned in the show.

Oh, and I hate the English hats too.. most average women just wear them to weddings, but the royals seem to wear them all the time to formal events. But since someone asked me what the "height of fashion" was, I put up a photo of the Duchess because she really is that.

I was in Cleveland about a week ago, and saw tons of maxi skirts/dresses. I live about an hour south, and most of my daughter's fellow high schoolers wear them constantly. She's got a couple, herself, and we're very obviously not fundie. It is the trend right now. Most people I know locally love them because they're soft and comfy. I don't like dresses, so I don't personally, but they are definitely infiltrated in the market. They were all over Aeropostale, American Eagle, Gap, etc. when we went shopping a few months ago.

Uh, no, your Majesty, I think YOU'VE, just you, by yourself, touched a nerve. And it's not so much just about the maxi dress, but your insistence that it's only a Duggar fashion, followed by your ludicrous suggestion that the Duggars might be trend setters, accompanied by your use of haute couture as "height of style." (Hint: I don't know what that term means to you - but to me, it means, what lots and lots wear.) Google any American retailer and they're selling maxi and midi dresses - many if not most with a black and white striped option.

Lots of people from various locations have pointed out the errors of your thought process - maybe it's time to just drop it, huh?

Okay when I made the comment about the Duggar style dress, I wasn't referring to the Maxi skirts specifically. I was referring to the T-shirt/high neckline underneath them like the one Marj was wearing in the last picture we saw of her. The unnecessary layering that's purpose only service as "look, I'm more modest than you" That's what I'm referring to.

I think there are still plenty of people who don't even know much about the Duggars at all. Their "popularity" was never enough to start trends, by any means. Ha!

I am in the Midwest and maxi skirts and dresses are everywhere. I don't really have an opinion on them either way. But they are definitely popular and have been for quite a few years.

I, myself, have never been to Europe. But my cousin moved there over a decade ago and his wife has lived there her whole life. To look at their photos, they all dress pretty much exactly like we do. (They are in London, if that makes any difference, I don't know.)

Archived