IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Courting - Part 2

Coconut Flan

okay. I've seen some stupid comments from the thumpers but really? Wtf? Are they this delusional. :angry-banghead: :cray-cray:

I really hope that that person is just a troll. But then again, many sufficiently advanced trolls are indistinguishable from true believers...

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have often wondered about the numbers given, supposedly without paying for education it costs $250,000-$500,000 per child to raise a kid. But if you look at the breakdown a bunch of that is for housing, what are kids adding when it comes to housing? And transportation? What additional expenses are there, sure a bit more driving, but only a small amount. . . If anyone knows how they come up with these numbers I would love to find out.

You need more space! Before we had kids, my husband and I were fine in a one bedroom loft apartment. Three kids later, we're a bit squeezed with 3 bedrooms. And, if possible, most people like kids to have a bit of green grass to play on. A yard is not something I'd need or want if I didn't have kids.

Anyone whose had tweens and teens, knows transportation is definitely an added cost. Transportation to school (even a bus for one kid costs hundreds a year in my town) can be expensive. Then there's soccer and baseball games and practices, and girl scouts and ice skating, orthodontist and doctor appointments, and they all seem to be going in different directions at once. Also, if it were just the two of us, my husband and I could get along with just one car pretty easily because he uses public transportation and I can drop him off. But I travel for work frequently and can't always be around to drive the kids where they need to go, so he has to have his own car.

There are tons of costs associated with raising a child, although not all are obvious until you start experiencing them first hand.

Housing, food, medical, dental, insurance, clothing, education, transportation needs, equipment (car seats, strollers, boosters), shoes

and they haven't even had any fun yet.

You need more space! Before we had kids, my husband and I were fine in a one bedroom loft apartment. Three kids later, we're a bit squeezed with 3 bedrooms. And, if possible, most people like kids to have a bit of green grass to play on. A yard is not something I'd need or want if I didn't have kids.

Anyone whose had tweens and teens, knows transportation is definitely an added cost. Transportation to school (even a bus for one kid costs hundreds a year in my town) can be expensive. Then there's soccer and baseball games and practices, and girl scouts and ice skating, orthodontist and doctor appointments, and they all seem to be going in different directions at once. Also, if it were just the two of us, my husband and I could get along with just one car pretty easily because he uses public transportation and I can drop him off. But I travel for work frequently and can't always be around to drive the kids where they need to go, so he has to have his own car.

There are tons of costs associated with raising a child, although not all are obvious until you start experiencing them first hand.

Thanks, we are looking at costs and re-budgeting and the breakdowns just didn't make sense, but we did buy a house that would fit kids so that may be part of our confusion.

The cost of raising a child depends I how you raise the child. If you do it the Duggar way, hand me down clothes, all the kids in one room, attend the SOTDRT, eat food prepared from glop in cans, no paid childcare, no extra curricular activities, no travel not paid for by TLC, and no college, it can be done on the cheap.

If you want your kid have its own new clothes at least some of the time, have its own room, live in a town with good quality public schools or attend private school, eat fresh high quality food, having two working parents, activities outside of the home, an opportunity to travel, and college, it can cost $250K/child.

We wanted our kids to have all of the above and yes, it was expensive. It was totally worth to us and I can't of anything I would rather have spent the money on,

The cost of raising a child depends I how you raise the child. If you do it the Duggar way, hand me down clothes, all the kids in one room, attend the SOTDRT, eat food prepared from glop in cans, no paid childcare, no extra curricular activities, no travel not paid for by TLC, and no college, it can be done on the cheap.

If you want your kid have its own new clothes at least some of the time, have its own room, live in a town with good quality public schools or attend private school, eat fresh high quality food, having two working parents, activities outside of the home, an opportunity to travel, and college, it can cost $250K/child.

We wanted our kids to have all of the above and yes, it was expensive. It was totally worth to us and I can't of anything I would rather have spent the money on,

I totally agree. However, the difference between my DH and me and JB and MIchelle is that my DH and I ACTUALLY HAVE EDUCATION and professional jobs.

And from the looks of the Dillards' baby wares, they are not starting it off on the cheap- unless all that stuff was obtained via grifting.

And from the looks of the Dillards' baby wares, they are not starting it off on the cheap- unless all that stuff was obtained via grifting.

Definitely not "buy used and save the difference" but Cathy could be spoiling him rotten! First grandchild!

Definitely not "buy used and save the difference" but Cathy could be spoiling him rotten! First grandchild!

Didn't they get massive amount of gifts from the numerous showers that were held in honor of the new "prince Duggar"? I'm surprised they aren't using dollar bills as baby wipes...

Didn't they get massive amount of gifts from the numerous showers that were held in honor of the new "prince Duggar"? I'm surprised they aren't using dollar bills as baby wipes...

Yes, and not just from the people who were actually invited to showers. Those grifters love their grifts gifts.

Recall that video from last year wherein Josh filmed a less than enthusiastic Jana sitting at the house's mail station while he bragged about the gifts and cards the Duggars get from "all people over the world". While the J-slaves up made up tiny baskets of bibles and oranges and Hersey bars for their real neighbors.

Sucks for Josiah that the scandal broke. If he really decides to marry his girlfriend, there won't be as many gifts from TLC or leghumpers. I wonder how the Duggars will deal with that, especially since these freebies are a big help for young couples without a proper education or job.

I'm pretty sure that Jessa and Ben didn't have to pay a dime for anything, they got a really nice honeymoon sponsored by TLC, lots of household items and other gifts.

Sucks for Josiah that the scandal broke. If he really decides to marry his girlfriend, there won't be as many gifts from TLC or leghumpers. I wonder how the Duggars will deal with that, especially since these freebies are a big help for young couples without a proper education or job.

I'm pretty sure that Jessa and Ben didn't have to pay a dime for anything, they got a really nice honeymoon sponsored by TLC, lots of household items and other gifts.

All that crap is payment for selling privacy, private moments (weddings, honeymoons, births) and anonymity away; fringe benefits of the job.

I don't feel sorry for young kids who get married having nothing. That's why most people get educated or at least have jobs before they say "I do" or have children.

The sooner the show is gone and the realities of the real world set in, the better for all of those kids. I'd rather they face reality as single people than when married with a bunch of kids.

All that crap is payment for selling privacy, private moments (weddings, honeymoons, births) and anonymity away; fringe benefits of the job.

I don't feel sorry for young kids who get married having nothing. That's why most people get educated or at least have jobs before they say "I do" or have children.

The sooner the show is gone and the realities of the real world set in, the better for all of those kids. I'd rather they face reality as single people than when married with a bunch of kids.

I agree. Unfortunately, Josiah got caught in the middle of it. I really hope that with these new cirumstances, he will rethink getting married and start breeding like rabbits before he has a proper job.

Supposedly Josiah is working with HER dad as a graphic designer--a field that does not always demand a college diploma. I doubt he cares--they'll make do regardless. He might just welcome being left alone.

Supposedly Josiah is working with HER dad as a graphic designer--a field that does not always demand a college diploma. I doubt he cares--they'll make do regardless. He might just welcome being left alone.

Josiah told People Magazine that he is working at "Duggar Construction".

Josiah told People Magazine that he is working at "Duggar Construction".

That's a shame.....but it does pay the rent I suppose. I wonder where they will live?

That's a shame.....but it does pay the rent I suppose. I wonder where they will live?

I think they will live in Grandma's house. Ben and Jessa can move into JB's other property(or buy a fixer upper).

The sooner that Ben actually gets a job and supports Jessa and their soon-to-be Seewald, the better. He has a degree, job experience, and connections. There's no reason why he can't.

Given the show's uncertain future at the moment, the sooner they all stop relying on reality television for a primary source of income, the better. I seriously hope that Ben and Jessa aren't just sitting around waiting for someone to call them up for an interview or to film a skit.

The minimum educational requirement for a person to take the national NCLEX exam to become a registered nurse is an Associates' degree in Science from a college with an ANA- accredited nursing school.

This is a good basic core curriculum, usually, and allows for matriculation to a higher degree ( B.S.N. or M.S.N.) in a shorter time and with part time employment in nursing possible while pursuing higher education.

Whatever your mother did or did not do or get is not consistent with both the completion of an Associates' Degree in Science with a nursing curriculum and intensive classes in nursing and clinical practice for 2 years ( usually requiring night and day classes and summer classes because of the heavy required academic load in addition to the nursing- specific classes). After graduation, the nurse graduate still has to take and pass the national NCLEX exam.

It could be that your mother either didn't complete the last step which is separate from college, or chose a different career path.

I know the facts because I am a registered nurse who started out at the age of 18 as an RN and continued my college education to get a B,S,N. and a Master's in Psychology.

I believe that the type of nursing program your mom went through does not exist anymore. My mom also did nursing school at a hospital (1963-1966) she lived and worked at the hospital for 3 years/12 months of the year. She is an RN and still maintains that license level. She worked hard for that RN with rotations at the Psychiatric hospital and working at the hospital while not in class fo no pay. She still laughs at her $900/yr tuition.

I believe that the type of nursing program your mom went through does not exist anymore. My mom also did nursing school at a hospital (1963-1966) she lived and worked at the hospital for 3 years/12 months of the year. She is an RN and still maintains that license level. She worked hard for that RN with rotations at the Psychiatric hospital and working at the hospital while not in class fo no pay. She still laughs at her $900/yr tuition.

I wonder if the OP's mother does have a degree and just doesn't mention it because it's not a traditional 2/4-year degree? Most community college programs that are at least 2 years give you SOME sort of degree. You can get non-degree certificates as well, of course, but almost all of those are <2 year programs.

Community college nursing programs are still pretty common, but I think they will likely get phased out in the future, or turned into combo programs that feed into a BSN by default. I think today, an RN with a lot of work experience without a BSN or other 4 year degree is just fine, but if you're brand new to the field, you won't be as competitive as someone with a BSN, or at the very least, another 4 year degree. When so many people are getting BSNs these days, they can afford to be picky, and most healthcare settings want their nurses to be highly educated before they take any risks putting them on the job.

I wonder if the OP's mother does have a degree and just doesn't mention it because it's not a traditional 2/4-year degree? Most community college programs that are at least 2 years give you SOME sort of degree. You can get non-degree certificates as well, of course, but almost all of those are <2 year programs.

Community college nursing programs are still pretty common, but I think they will likely get phased out in the future, or turned into combo programs that feed into a BSN by default. I think today, an RN with a lot of work experience without a BSN or other 4 year degree is just fine, but if you're brand new to the field, you won't be as competitive as someone with a BSN, or at the very least, another 4 year degree. When so many people are getting BSNs these days, they can afford to be picky, and most healthcare settings want their nurses to be highly educated before they take any risks putting them on the job.

It's not a risk thing because both RN and BSN/RNs have to pass the same boards and have the same amount of clinical. It comes down to getting the most bang for your buck...to thinking that the BSN may be more articulate... may be more rounded (they aren't taking extra nursing courses-- its other stuff to fill in that 4 years) may be more prepared for possible management roles like shift supervisor etc.

They will definitely phase out the RN degree bc more and more are going for BSN. My guess it's a combo of going through a nurse shortage, and also to make it more appealing to young people who want to be educated-- a job that requires a 4-yr degree has more cache than a 2 yr. And this also goes along side with nurses demanding and getting more respect. And of those 4 yrs more and more are then going for NP.

There use to be hospital based RN non-degree programs. There might still be. As for phasing out the A.S degree for nursing, maybe. But they have been saying that for at least 20 years. Just like they were going to phase out LPN/LVN...

And she is wearing a very long skirt...

I hope she just felt like wearing that and they aren't pushing her to give up her jeans. :?

I think she probably owns loads of skirts anyway. However I do think if they get married her skirt wearing will increase by about 100% . It makes me wonder what her family think of the whole Josh thing. Although I wouldn't like to see Josiah miss out on any chance off happyness because of it. So good for them if they happy.

Archived