IGNORED

Josiah Duggar is courting

Lana

Yeah their tbt is Iittle Joe at the piano being likened to MOZART. Ooooookay.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know that they actually receive/get to keep their money once they turn 18? I have always speculated about this and wonder if they have accounts set up in their names that are controlled by JB, kind of like a trust, that they'd only receive upon marriage. If not, you'd think that at least *one* of them would try to escape, go off to college, wear pants, etc. While fundie life may have been beaten into them, the show has to have given them decent exposure to the outside world (which is apparent even by the vocab/slang the kids use) and they'd be aware of options available in life besides managing a household or working for Duggar Construction. I think they are legit stuck unless they want to be kicked out with nothing to their name. The lack of education doesn't help either.

I had always hoped Josiah would manage to escape regardless, but it looks like he may have been targeted by JB as someone who might not follow family protocol, hence the 9mos at Alert and the quickie courtship. For him, whether he likes Marjorie romantically or just as a friend, it's an easy way out of TTH and an easy way to please JB and J'chelle into thinking that whatever rebellion he had in him has been beaten out of him. I suppose it remains to be see whether the courtship lasts and if so, if he follows in the footsteps of the rest of the fam - I had always thought once Jessa was married she'd do what she wanted, but it doesn't seem to be that way - but I really hope his spirit wasn't completely crushed. :(

I imagine the 18+ males get their own pay checks. They'll need the money to buy houses and gifts while courting. John David and Joseph not courting, from my perspective, is by choice. I think the adult girls dont get paychecks until they are engaged. They don't live on their own,they don't have bills to pay and there are a ton of clothes at their house so I could see JB justifying that they don't need it because everything is provided for. I imagine they get an allowance each month for gas and personal items. Maybe that's why Jessa kept reinforcing that they wanted to save money because she knew the money would be coming out of her paycheck.

in the pictures they do look awkward together, but It must be really hard to go from 'I must never touch/think about anyone from the opposite sex’ to it being put your arm around her or whatever they can do.The Duggers teach that even thinking about someone of the opposite sex is sinful (and that you must confess to your parents or something like that). I would assume being near by her for years and possibly having feeling for her, he would have have many learned behaviors put in place to protect himself. I predict they will get much more comfortable around each other as time goes by. thats my theory.

Urgh, she is like nails on a chalkboard. I can't stand that fake, theatre style of talking.

Yes, it's great she has a spark and isn't a meek little fundie girl, but I just can't stand listening to her talk.

I was also disturbed by that video...not particularly by her, but by the fakeness of it all.

It was as if they were two teenagers playing a part in a theatre play at school.

Fun, for sure. They certainly enjoyed staging it. And rehearsing it.

But it's their life they're playing with.

I was also disturbed by that video...not particularly by her, but by the fakeness of it all.

It was as if they were two teenagers playing a part in a theatre play at school.

A promotion for the show is very much like a theatre production. And they are teenagers.

I don't think the promo means they're not taking things seriously. Not that I think it's a good idea AT ALL for them to me basically engaged, but I think there really isn't much of an issue with treating a promo like a promo.

I met my husband when I was 17 and he was 19, and he had receding hairline then and I am in no way religious-then or now- yet I married him at 20 and now we have been married 28 years. I was a lot more mature at 17 than many of the people I went to school with and my parents worried less about me screwing up my life than my sister who was my elder by 4 years. We had our kids while we were in our twenties and now in our late 40's we have a not quite empty nest but we have loads of freedom due to them all being adults and able to take care of themselves if we leave for a few days. I think a lot depends on th ematurity level and where one wants to go with their life, if Josiah has found the rght match already they just mght make it out still especially if her parents seem more funde lite. I have always found Josiah well spoken and a thinker beyond the norm of the Duggars so hopefully he will make the rght choices for himself.

I met my husband when I was 17 and he was 19, and he had receding hairline then and I am in no way religious-then or now- yet I married him at 20 and now we have been married 28 years. I was a lot more mature at 17 than many of the people I went to school with and my parents worried less about me screwing up my life than my sister who was my elder by 4 years. We had our kids while we were in our twenties and now in our late 40's we have a not quite empty nest but we have loads of freedom due to them all being adults and able to take care of themselves if we leave for a few days. I think a lot depends on th ematurity level and where one wants to go with their life, if Josiah has found the rght match already they just mght make it out still especially if her parents seem more funde lite. I have always found Josiah well spoken and a thinker beyond the norm of the Duggars so hopefully he will make the rght choices for himself.

Your experience is, unfortunately, not statistically the norm. Anecdotes are not evidence and evidence is on the side of those suggesting that these two are less likely to have a happy marriage due to their age. In some studies, divorce rates are as much as twice as high for those marrying under the age of 25 and are even higher for those marrying at 19 or below. This article has some CDC statistics on the matter:

http://www.maselliwarren.com/2014/03/20 ... -youre-25/

Now, we all know that a Duggar child is less likely to divorce, but that doesn't mean that ten years from now, these very young couples won't find themselves in unhappy marriages (and likely with a herd of children, too).

Your experience is, unfortunately, not statistically the norm. Anecdotes are not evidence and evidence is on the side of those suggesting that these two are less likely to have a happy marriage due to their age. In some studies, divorce rates are as much as twice as high for those marrying under the age of 25 and are even higher for those marrying at 19 or below. This article has some CDC statistics on the matter:

http://www.maselliwarren.com/2014/03/20 ... -youre-25/

Now, we all know that a Duggar child is less likely to divorce, but that doesn't mean that ten years from now, these very young couples won't find themselves in unhappy marriages (and likely with a herd of children, too).

Not to mention there's a huge difference between DATING for 2-3 years and COURTING. When you date, you interact alone, you get to know each other both with people and without them, you're allowed to have fights and disagreements without your parents stepping in, you can show affection any way you choose, etc. When you're courting, you're given absolutely no freedom to do even a fraction of those. Everything is heavily watched and people are constantly intervening. Courting is like perpetually being in that state of your stereotypical high school first date when the dad and boyfriend are having painfully awkward discussions about the guy's intentions and expected behaviors.

Thank you--she reminded me of the "I can so Act" kids in drama club in high school....oh wait...that's what she is. Forgot. Silly me. 18 and 17 and playing "courtship."

I hope they have enough patience and creativity to deal with all the growing up that will happen in the next 2-5 years.

A promotion for the show is very much like a theatre production. And they are teenagers.

I don't think the promo means they're not taking things seriously. Not that I think it's a good idea AT ALL for them to me basically engaged, but I think there really isn't much of an issue with treating a promo like a promo.

Well I also do not have any issue with promos as such. And I did not mean to imply that they are not taking things seriously.

My point is that I did not see any sign of heart in it. No genuine smile, no shy eye contact...

Had those been two professional actors/tv presenters that would have been the same. And since they indeed are teenagers, it instantly reminded me of teenage high school theatre.

Good acting. Plain acting.

At some level, I prefer the awkwardness of Josh and Anna in some of their reveals on camera. Totally staged, yes. Totally scripted, yes. But you can see them as persons through it (whether you like what you see or not, you do see it).

Here I just saw two guys who learnt their part very well.

As someone mentioned earlier, she seems perfect to "play the part of Josiah's" wife.

That is what I meant. I hope I am wrong of course, and who am I to know, but that's what I got out of it.

Didn't Josiah have a pool birthday party and there was a girl he flirted with? Would that have been Marjorie? Somebody find that episode!

Didn't Josiah have a pool birthday party and there was a girl he flirted with? Would that have been Marjorie? Somebody find that episode!

OMG, a teenage pool party with everyone wearing WholesomeWear.

Talk about missing the point... :?

Their ages don't bother me at all for dating and depending on their maturity I don't even mind if they get engaged and married very soon too.

I have MASSIVE problems with the fact that they are NOT ALLOWED to even THINK about family-planing, her working or him working in a job that would make good money, benefits or insurance but would put him under somebody else's "headship" apart from Daddy-dearest.

And don't get me started on the Duggar version of courtship. Zero privacy until engagement and even then it is only phone calls. Wish they would actually do courtship like it was done back in the "good old days"!

Way to show that you think your "adults" are mature enough to be married parents, JB&M! :angry-banghead:

Well I also do not have any issue with promos as such. And I did not mean to imply that they are not taking things seriously.

My point is that I did not see any sign of heart in it. No genuine smile, no shy eye contact...

Had those been two professional actors/tv presenters that would have been the same. And since they indeed are teenagers, it instantly reminded me of teenage high school theatre.

Good acting. Plain acting.

At some level, I prefer the awkwardness of Josh and Anna in some of their reveals on camera. Totally staged, yes. Totally scripted, yes. But you can see them as persons through it (whether you like what you see or not, you do see it).

Here I just saw two guys who learnt their part very well.

As someone mentioned earlier, she seems perfect to "play the part of Josiah's" wife.

That is what I meant. I hope I am wrong of course, and who am I to know, but that's what I got out of it.

It was a staged promo. Of course there was nothing candid (like "shy eye contact") in it.

One of Majories personal interests is musical theatre. Which explains her ridiculous, fake, over-the-top stage acting for that courtship video. She looked like she was about to break into song!! :whistle: :cracking-up: However, on the upside, this means she would have been exposed to more normal movies/music/dancing... She has mentioned she loves the sound of music. I know that is technically a very wholesome film, but remember when Liesl (the oldest daughter) sneaks out of the house after dark and (gasp!) DANCES with and even KISSES her boyfriend in the garden! OMG! Plus we have photo evidence of her wearing pants, so there is another positive.

Another note: The Duggars used to listen to Broadway soundtracks. I remember in one oft he early specials it was listed as Josiah's favorite music. I think he has been interested in music and acting from an early age.

Yes, if Josiah had be allowed to grow up normally, he would have DEFINITELY been in the drama club at school, had the lead role in the school play, maybe tried some stand up comedy, etc. In that sense, they are probably a good match... It said they laugh a lot together so I thought perhaps their sense of humour is that kinda over the top theatrical style, using funny voices, doing impersonations etc.

Another note: The Duggars used to listen to Broadway soundtracks. I remember in one oft he early specials it was listed as Josiah's favorite music. I think he has been interested in music and acting from an early age.

Josiah as a Newsie!

At least Josiah's courtship will be less monitored than Jill and Jessa's. The Duggars said when Josh and Anna started courting that it's up to the girl's parents to provide accountability partners. The boys' purity is not nearly as sacred as the girls' so if Marjorie's parents are fundie-light then maybe he could have almost a normal relationship.

At least Josiah's courtship will be less monitored than Jill and Jessa's. The Duggars said when Josh and Anna started courting that it's up to the girl's parents to provide accountability partners. The boys' purity is not nearly as sacred as the girls' so if Marjorie's parents are fundie-light then maybe he could have almost a normal relationship.

Or no chaperones! :lol:

Archived