IGNORED

Josiah Duggar is courting

Lana

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMFG.

He's 18 and she's 17.

"When they both went on a mission trip to El Salvador in December, Josiah, who currently works in his father's construction company, says he was particularly impressed with Marjorie."

"Duggar Construction"???? What the F???

Christ on a cracker, another marginally employed teenager soon to marry a totally unemployed teenager?

Jim Bob must really believe that the TLC gravy train will last forever.

I had such hopes for Josiah. Like college.

From People:

Josiah Duggar, 18, reveals exclusively to PEOPLE that he has entered into a courtship with Marjorie Jackson, 17 – a young lady he got to know when he was taking Spanish lessons from her mother, Analucia, 40.

The couple officially began courting on April 6, the same day his sister Jill, 23, and brother-in-law Derick Dillard, 26, welcomed newborn son Israel David into the world.

It's been going very well," Josiah tells PEOPLE. "I met Marjorie a few years ago, when I was taking Spanish lessons at her house and I was very impressed with the way she was with her siblings and her love for the Lord."

When they both went on a mission trip to El Salvador in December, Josiah, who currently works in his father's construction company, says he was particularly impressed with Marjorie.

"She really caught my eye," he says. "That is really where I noticed her."

For Marjorie, who is one of 5 girls born to Greg, 43, and Analucia, "liking" Josiah is something that she says she's done for some time.

"I met him at Spanish class a few years back," she tells PEOPLE. "For me it was an immediate thing, I have always admired him and his family."

I supposed this means the ALERT mind meld worked on Josiah. Or something.

Good job JB in keeping another one in the fold and entirely dependent on you.

Let's get the important information first--does this family have a blog for us to analyze?

Ugh. She isn't even old enough to vote. Here's hoping they have a LONG courtship.

Ahhh... I want to be happy, but they are so young. If he was just a normal guy with his first girlfriend this would be cute, but 18 and 17 is really young to be looking at marriage.

She's a pretty girl. I wonder if she's Latina, given that her mother speaks Spanish and is named Analucia. I also think Marjorie is a cute name that you don't often hear on young people anymore.

Jesus. At least they'll have to wait til she's 18 to marry. Or is Arkansas one of those states that lets minors marry with parental permission?

Makes me wonder if all the time at Alert was to keep him away from her. Surely the Duggars know a teenage wedding won't play well to most of their audience.

Interesting that Josh predicted way back when he married that Josiah would be the next boy to marry.

I found her mother's facebook page pretty easily. We have a bunch of friends in common but I don't recall ever meeting her.

I don't know how to feel about this. It's just...God, no. Sorry I can't even pretend to be happy for them. The quotes by Josiah in the article could be written about a newly-hired employee at a business. (Very reminiscent of the Maxwellian spiehl we got from Joseph regarding Elissa). Oh, and the fact that SHE'S 17! Seriously, it's just weird to be trying to marry your daughter off at such a young age. (FLDS anyone?) Can we just stop with the child brides already, Duggar/Duggarwannabes? And poor Josiah, I had high hopes for him. This surely can't be where his heart is. I refuse to believe that.

:oops: Wow. Did not see that one coming.

I hope for Josiah's sake that Marjorie makes him feel happy, special, and loved. I also hope that he is considerate of her in return, and isn't using her wholly and solely as an escape route from the TTH.

Still, I wish them all the best. It's still better news than ALERT.

Agree sad! Is this the big announcement, they were talking about in the ad's?

ETA: just read the rest of the article. This is the "special announcement" they were talking about.

So, I think I understand that courting is supposed to be done only in lead to marriage, yes? Beyond the clear fact that 17 and 18 is nowhere near ready for anything close to marriage - my other question is: what does Josiah do at age 18 that is enough to support a wife and family?

Just...........wrong on so many levels............. :angry-banghead:

Here's hoping they have a very long courtship and an even longer engagement.

Agree!!! Maybe their wait till they r both 20 till they get engaged.

I hope so too, but then as long if you have a parents signature they can marry at 16. I really hope they dont rush things. Josiah doesnt strike me as wanting a big family as a teenager already.

I wasn't expecting this. However, I hope he's happy and that she makes him happy. Yes, they're young. I can't make any judgements on age since I've been seriously dating someone for a year and I'm only nineteen now. I'm not rushing into marriage and hopefully they aren't either. It takes a long time to know someone well enough to marry them.

This makes me so sad. I am Siah age and i don't think he is ready for having kids or for marriage (wich in their world is just the same)

Fuck, how are they going to have kids if they are a couple of kids themselves this is even worse than Jessa and Bem

I'm worried. Truly worried. Previously, the Duggars kept courtships secret until an engagement or at least a few months had passed (B&J). Josiah's is being announced just a few days into the courtship. Is it to trap him?

This is strange. Don't you think she has the same expression as Priscilla Waller?

Disclaimer: I am not saying Josiah has anything to do with Mr Pecan

Haven't read any of the replies yet - just saw the People article posted to Facebook via the Duggar Family Official page and had to come here to say...

OMFG. Did not see this coming at all. They are SO YOUNG! :pink-shock:

I really hope it is a long courtship, though I doubt it, seeing as they are fundie. But seriously, they need more time to know themselves before they go and get hitched, never mind more time to know each other :(

I'm going out on a limb here. Bear with me.

It always felt like Josh was rushed into marriage because JB knew Josh wouldn't be able to stay pure (in Duggarspeak) and was therefore married off. I stink at citations but somewhere in the Paul's letters is that while bit about if you can, remain single like I am, if not, because not everyone was cut out to be single, get married.

Josiah always reminded me a bit of Josh. In both looks (although decidedly not as tall) and demeanor. What if he was shipped off to ALERT for similar reasons that Josh was (purity) and they decided to marry him off to the first available/acceptable girl because heaven forbid we can't have a Duggar darkening the family brand. It would be even more important now with Josiah than it would have been with Josh.

his future mom in law is selling quackery: pills that apparently make kids eat more fruit and veg

Wonder if she peddled MonaVie about 6 or so years ago (Acai berry juice before it was available everywhere)?

Archived