IGNORED

Josiah Duggar is courting

Lana

Anecdotes are evidence and anecdotes are not fallacies. In mathematics, outliers are sometimes more important than the correlated data itself.

A collection of anecdotes is what we call a type of census.

One anecdote does not equal evidence. And every source out there makes it clear that if we collect anecdotes about the success or failure of marriages before age 20, it is not going to show a pattern of successes.

That doesn't mean the posters here who married very young have bad marriages. It does mean that the odds are against couples who marry that young. Now the reasons are not contained in those stats, so if you want to debate that, that's another thing entirely. But debating the statistics because one poster comes on here and says "not me, my marriage is great" is not valid.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It hit me last night who Marjorie reminds me of--LIZZIE in "Kid Farm"....

:pink-shock: This is my first time seeing this show; I LOVE IT!!! :clap: :cracking-up: :popcorn2:

One anecdote does not equal evidence. And every source out there makes it clear that if we collect anecdotes about the success or failure of marriages before age 20, it is not going to show a pattern of successes.

That doesn't mean the posters here who married very young have bad marriages. It does mean that the odds are against couples who marry that young. Now the reasons are not contained in those stats, so if you want to debate that, that's another thing entirely. But debating the statistics because one poster comes on here and says "not me, my marriage is great" is not valid.

But even the statistics don't predict anywhere near a 100% marriage failure rate among young marriages. Which means there ARE many successful teen marriges. There is no reason people shouldn't share there anecdotal experiences on the topic - both good and bad. It is individual peoples lives, ALWAYS , that ultimately make up statistics. Presumably people here are intelligent enough to discern that individual posters who share experiences on a particular topic does not equal a statistically representative sampling.

I got married as a teen, the marriage didnt last, but i have three wonderful children from it - so I wouldnt categorize it as a mistake.I was also pregnant when I got married, had only been seeing the guy for 6 months at the time of the wedding, had just come out of a horribly abusive relationship -AND come from a family where virtually no one stays married. So had a zillion risk factors going in. Truthfully, I would attribute about half the cause of the breakup to immaturity - but the equally important other half was I just didnt have the skills, motivation or models for sticking it out and working through the tough times.

Oddly of the four of my children who've married, the two who married by 21 are still married. The two who married 25-26 , are split from their spouses. I know thats a statistical anomoly, but it happens.

Presumably Josiah and Marjorie don't face many of those same challenges, so will have better than average odds.

:pink-shock: This is my first time seeing this show; I LOVE IT!!! :clap: :cracking-up: :popcorn2:

I'm supposed to be doing something productive, but now I'm stuck watching this.... hahaha

The girl is NOW 24 and has just NOW had her first baby. He wasn't trying to pick up a MILF :p

I'm pretty sure FJIsMyHeadship is asking for the NAME of the girl you're talking about. :D

I'm supposed to be doing something productive, but now I'm stuck watching this.... hahaha

Omg, this is amazeballs. IReallyAmHopewell, I owe you a debt of gratitude for introducing me to this :worship:

Omg, this is amazeballs. IReallyAmHopewell, I owe you a debt of gratitude for introducing me to this :worship:

"and sometimes the babies are holding those cheeses.... baby cheeses...."

The deleted scenes are just as amazing.

"and sometimes the babies are holding those cheeses.... baby cheeses...."

The deleted scenes are just as amazing.

I know! How on earth am I just finding out about this now???

"Balloons. I know what comes after balloons!"

I know! How on earth am I just finding out about this now???

"Balloons. I know what comes after balloons!"

I love the Zoo episode when they lose Bacon, then cousin Jamie realizes there is no Bacon...

I love the Zoo episode when they lose Bacon, then cousin Jamie realizes there is no Bacon...

I took him to a photographer but he was playing music that blurred the line between Christian rock and Christian praise...So we left. :lol:

It hit me last night who Marjorie reminds me of--LIZZIE in "Kid Farm"....

Teresa Duggle is Louise Belcher!

Marj does remind me of a Kid Farm character though!

Teresa Duggle is Louise Belcher!

Marj does remind me of a Kid Farm character though!

How have I never heard of this before?? I can't stop watching!

How have I never heard of this before?? I can't stop watching!

I think I saw BJ, Nate Fernald, on a commercial lately!

I think they cancelled The Pete Holmes Show, but I hope they do more episodes on their Youtube!

I am thrilled every time someone new discovers the brilliant, hilarious and brilliantly hilarious "Kid Farm". I swear, every time I'm having a shitty day I watch one of the episodes and laugh my ass off. Like, that real deep belly laughing that makes you feel great afterwards. I would love, love, LOVE new episodes. Hopefully they'll happen eventually since the two from last summer were made nearly two years after the original run. We need to see BJ and Lizzy get married after all!

"Dreams are the only movies that I'm allowed to watch" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm late to this thread and a long time lurker. I just saw the TLC announcement that everyone is talking about, except I was on my phone, at work so I had it on mute. I have to say that Marjorie was absolutely out of this world fake and scary... If anyone feels like being amused, watch it again on mute.

I also spotted her last night in Jessa's Wedding episode on TLC which I hadn't gotten around to watching yet. I know it's been pointed out as well that she was seen in some photos before this, with the Duggars... Wouldn't it be more realistic to the world if they had simply said they'd been friends for quite some time, and that Marjorie had been hanging out with them (as a GROUP, God forbid) for quite a bit? Why is it the second these kids are simply interested in getting to know each other -- BAM, courtship announcement?

Like others have pointed out, if the 17 year olds are getting into courtships, I feel sad about JD and Jana... This could mean that all the younger siblings are now available for courtships and JD / Jana will remain single for a longer time. They're by far the most mature and "ready" for marriage compared to all the others.

Am I terrible person if I hope Josiah & Marjorie look at each other in a few days and say "whoa, what am I doing? I've been crushing on this person for years but I'm not ready for marriage & babies on live TV."

And Marjorie ends it; there's a low key blog announcement; & whatever TLC has filmed so far about them isn't shown in the next season.

Then Josiah goes off to Crown College, or similar, in the Fall. Maybe Marjorie goes to college too. Perhaps they keep in touch, & in a couple of years they resume their courtship with platitudes about being more mature.

The only other semi-positive thing I can think of is a 2+ year long courtship, but that seems so unheard of in Fundie circles. If Josiah and/or Marjorie had an excuse to put things off because they needed to finish something (an educational degree or certificate, a stint at Alert, a long mission posting) that would work, but unfortunately, since Josiah is just another manboy attached to the Duggar Inc. teat, and higher education is no longer discussed for him, I have no hope. Not that Duggars finish things anyway [Hell, some of them can barely finish giving birth! :D ]

I'm late to this thread and a long time lurker. I just saw the TLC announcement that everyone is talking about, except I was on my phone, at work so I had it on mute. I have to say that Marjorie was absolutely out of this world fake and scary... If anyone feels like being amused, watch it again on mute.

I also spotted her last night in Jessa's Wedding episode on TLC which I hadn't gotten around to watching yet. I know it's been pointed out as well that she was seen in some photos before this, with the Duggars... Wouldn't it be more realistic to the world if they had simply said they'd been friends for quite some time, and that Marjorie had been hanging out with them (as a GROUP, God forbid) for quite a bit? Why is it the second these kids are simply interested in getting to know each other -- BAM, courtship announcement?

Like others have pointed out, if the 17 year olds are getting into courtships, I feel sad about JD and Jana... This could mean that all the younger siblings are now available for courtships and JD / Jana will remain single for a longer time. They're by far the most mature and "ready" for marriage compared to all the others.

:text-welcomewave:

It has been stated that they've known each other for years. Her mom is their Spanish teacher. They haven't hid that fact.

The announcement made me sad. Aside from that they're way too young for such a commitment, each courtship/engagement/marriage means less chances that one of the Duggar kids break free.

The announcement made me sad. Aside from that they're way too young for such a commitment, each courtship/engagement/marriage means less chances that one of the Duggar kids break free.

I highly doubt any of the kids are going to really question their lifestyle until they've been married for some time. I honestly would be surprised if even 5 of them continued their lifestyle within 10 years of marriage. Once they are married, they'll be more able to question and they'll be exposed to a lot more of the world without their parents or siblings hoovering over them.

Once they are married, they'll be more able to question and they'll be exposed to a lot more of the world without their parents or siblings hoovering over them.

I know it's a typo, but I laughed! I just pictured J'Chelle sucking up their spunk, spirit, and soul...with a vacuum! Like a dementor who is also a maid!

I know it's a typo, but I laughed! I just pictured J'Chelle sucking up their spunk, spirit, and soul...with a vacuum! Like a dementor who is also a maid!

Hahahaha and when she's done, she lets her soulless children become the new dementor maids

As if J'Chelle has actually worked a vacuum in the last 16 years or so. She's got J'Slaves for that.

Archived