IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 10

happy atheist

In US culture, the wedding is all about the bride (Prissy and TFDW are an exception). Also traditionally the bride's family pays for the wedding (and I would assume fundies use this tradition) so it would make sense to take more interest in something that you pay for.

Also Josh's wedding was at the beginning of the show. I think if he had married now (not that he could because he was so horny he was ready to hire a hooker). I wonder how it would have been different if it was now as opposed to then (much more fanfare I would assume). It will be interesting to see how they would cover a JD or Joseph wedding.

This is going to sound archaic...but think about a bride price...Old South. Both boys married a girl from a wealthy, well-known family. Big Daddy was a politician, Big Daddy supported Mama while she popped out enough children to have him forgo federal taxes after lucky no. 13 was born. Technically speaking, the boys (especially Derick) married "above" their station. It's a source of a major pride to sit back, throw a 1000 + party for not one, but two-potentially all-of their "well-bred" daughters. Those are thoroughbred gals right there...we gotta polish'em up nice and parade them out in proper dresses to the preacher man so EVERYONE knows who has a measure of power, money, and above all: righteousness. :stir-pot:

edited: addendum: Men get married...it's expected. The proper young man from the right family finds his bride, clunks her over the head *mine* and boom, done. The girls are essentially chattel.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being offended by someone celebrating something you don't is a super crazy low bar for offense taking. "I'm totally offended that you celebrate your birthday on April 17th, mine isn't until June." I don't think these people really know what "offended" means. I think they're looking for the words "filled with hate."

There are those who have a legitimate right to be angry over any sacrificial festival, and animal slaughter in general. It has nothing to do with religion itself. I don't believe in killing sentient beings (it is my spiritual conviction)--therefore any slaughtering is fair game for criticism by me or anyone with those same convictions.

I get your point though. It is important to separate criticism from blaming one particular religion. It is stupid that the Duggars would think Eid al-Adha is a brutal holiday when it is no different from the slaughtering of animals that goes into their meals. They're just pissed because the festival isn't behind the walls of a slaughterhouse, and they use any cheap excuse to defame religions besides their own. Hypocrites.

Meh... having a photo taken with your kill after a sucessful hunting trip is quite a common thing.

What worries me way more are the Arkansas hunting laws, as I can´t possibly imagine Jim Bob & Offspring as people who actually care about the responsibilities that come along with the art of hunting.

Meh... having a photo taken with your kill after a sucessful hunting trip is quite a common thing.

What worries me way more are the Arkansas hunting laws, as I can´t possibly imagine Jim Bob & Offspring as people who actually care about the responsibilities that come along with the art of hunting.

Of course, they have no idea. I do not believe in hunting at all and the Duggars, who seem very careless with guns, arrows, live animals; should not hunt-ever! :doh:

I have less of a problem with them hunting, or even with the younger boys using guns, than I do with the picture that shows a BB gun just lying discarded on the ground near Josie as she poses for the camera. Even if it's not a "real" gun, being so careless with weapons is not a good lesson for children who grow up around and use guns. I grew up in a household with guns and would frequently go target shooting with my dad when I was a child, and I vividly remember my dad chewing me out for leaving a shotgun on a bench instead of putting it on a rack or giving it to him. I was not allowed to even touch a gun until I had memorized Rules 1 and 2 of gun safety: 1) a gun is always loaded, and 2) never point a gun, even when setting it down on a surface, at anything you're not OK with killing or destroying. Why? Refer to Rule #1.

If the Duggar children think it's totally alright to just throw BB guns on the ground and leave them like that, lord knows how they treat real guns that can actually kill people (BB guns can hurt people pretty badly, too).

Two things really bugged me about these photos: little boys hunting at night and JD's gun. However, maybe the little boys are just posing, and maybe their guns are not real (although Mr. Bubbles hunts, I myself don't know anything about guns). But JD's gun is obv real, and probably very expensive, and I think that bugs me more than anything else. I was horrified/fascinated by the Duggars when their shows first aired - by how they managed to "make things work". Thanks to many seasons of reality tv, now I seem to be watching a bunch of unemployed adults playing with expensive toys. Sigh.

:laughing-rollingyellow: Oh my goodness, you had me rolling with the PCH bit. A more accurate description has never been made of Josh Duggar proposing to Anna.

because at that time all their leave and cleave - they somewhat practiced

up until they gave Jilly Muffin a mansion

:D

and I LOVE THE PCH bit :D

so TRUE :cracking-up: :cracking-up: it was the tackiest in every way !!! - I hate it

I have less of a problem with them hunting, or even with the younger boys using guns, than I do with the picture that shows a BB gun just lying discarded on the ground near Josie as she poses for the camera. Even if it's not a "real" gun, being so careless with weapons is not a good lesson for children who grow up around and use guns. I grew up in a household with guns and would frequently go target shooting with my dad when I was a child, and I vividly remember my dad chewing me out for leaving a shotgun on a bench instead of putting it on a rack or giving it to him. I was not allowed to even touch a gun until I had memorized Rules 1 and 2 of gun safety: 1) a gun is always loaded, and 2) never point a gun, even when setting it down on a surface, at anything you're not OK with killing or destroying. Why? Refer to Rule #1.

If the Duggar children think it's totally alright to just throw BB guns on the ground and leave them like that, lord knows how they treat real guns that can actually kill people (BB guns can hurt people pretty badly, too).

Every time I've seen them on the show with their BB guns, I imagine they're thinking OH sugarsnaps... TLC is here so we need to shoot at bottles and cans and not birds... or the cat.

I don't understand the Publisher's Clearing House reference. What is PCH?

In this part of the world whether it is Canada (me) or the US (others) you get a commercial on the tv - about the Publisher's clearing house sweepstakes (meaning you win money) and these men come to people's homes like Josh dressed in a suit except he went to a restaurant and they have balloons and monkeys

and bam it's tacky and insane

and the fact that he said come here - it's so I AM YOUR MAN - you come to me - I would have dropped him to the curb :cracking-up:

I get they hunt animals and many people do but to pose with a gun beside the kill just seems over the top.

Every hunting season my local newspaper features pictures of proud papas with their male and female offspring grinning widely as they stand over their kill, guns in hand. These kids are usually 8-12 age range.

The kid's kill.

In this part of the world whether it is Canada (me) or the US (others) you get a commercial on the tv - about the Publisher's clearing house sweepstakes (meaning you win money) and these men come to people's homes like Josh dressed in a suit except he went to a restaurant and they have balloons and monkeys

and bam it's tacky and insane

and the fact that he said come here - it's so I AM YOUR MAN - you come to me - I would have dropped him to the curb :cracking-up:

Ahh I see, thx! Yep, perfect :-)

The things that bothered me are 1) Why did they kill a pig when they don't eat pork. and 2) That gun does not look like a gun someone would hunt with.

Granted, I don't know a lot about those hogs. I saw some people freaking out on Pickle's page that they're dangerous, attack children, and you need big guns like that, but still.

And I guess on a personal note, posing with your "kill" is tacky AF.

The things that bothered me are 1) Why did they kill a pig when they don't eat pork. and 2) That gun does not look like a gun someone would hunt with.

Granted, I don't know a lot about those hogs. I saw some people freaking out on Pickle's page that they're dangerous, attack children, and you need big guns like that, but still.

And I guess on a personal note, posing with your "kill" is tacky AF.

I'm not at all a fan of guns and know nothing about them. I showed the photo to a friend who knows about guns who said it was a semi-automatic gun, probably German and would cost about $1,000. US. He also said that those pigs are causing a lot of problems destroying crops. Not my lifestyle, but not surprising for them. Are the Duggars "Doomsday preppers" ? All the canned good, guns and ALERT Academy makes me think they are. Haven't followed them that long to know.

Coming from a family who has hunted since, well, forever - posing with your kill is not abnormal or tacky at all. Hunting is, essentially, a sport, so as much as you may find it unpleasant, it is like posing with a trophy in any other sport. I personally don't have any issue with it as long as they are eating the meat and not just killing for fun. I have an uncle that, to this day, kills a couple deer each year and then lives off the meat for the rest of the year.

I agree that they do not appear to practice strict gun safety as they should, though. But the hunting pictures do not bother me. I see them all the time in my own family :shrug:

I don't think the Duggars are Preppers....too much work. While I agree that feral hogs damage crops, I doubt that's why JD hunts; after all, he has no crops to protect.

Nor do I think they eat what they kill.

Hunting feral hogs is a necessity in the eastern part of Texas. They have grown to be dangerous and damaging. It is very common around here and no, the meat is not eaten.

I did see a newspaper article in the last few years, apparently this hog meat is a delicacy someplace like Great Britain, and a company here will purchase kills to package and send overseas.

As a resident of East Texas, I find nothing unusual or snarkworthy about the Duggars and their hog hunting. Par for the course.

Hunting feral hogs is a necessity in the eastern part of Texas. They have grown to be dangerous and damaging. It is very common around here and no, the meat is not eaten.

I did see a newspaper article in the last few years, apparently this hog meat is a delicacy someplace like Great Britain, and a company here will purchase kills to package and send overseas.

As a resident of East Texas, I find nothing unusual or snarkworthy about the Duggars and their hog hunting. Par for the course.

Except they don't live in East Texas.

Just posted to the Duggar facebook page! Win a chance for the Duggars to come host a block party with you!

I swear to all that is holy, PLEASE let an FJer win!!!!!!!!! :popcorn2:

Just posted to the Duggar facebook page! Win a chance for the Duggars to come host a block party with you!

I swear to all that is holy, PLEASE let an FJer win!!!!!!!!! :popcorn2:

I wish I could enter this. I wish with all my heart that I could enter this.

Le sigh.

nst needs to enter. I think it would be so much fun if she won.

tlc.com/tlc-summer-block-party-sweepstakes/?mkcpgn=fbtlc1&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=19Kids&Counting

I wonder what this is all about? I mean, they have a real chance of running into some big skeptics/haters. I wonder too if there is any chance this will lead to a new courtship? Getting outside the boundaries of Arkansas, perhaps?

For some reason I can't watch the promo for the block party contest online, even with adblock disabled. I've seen commercials about the block party cont4est and people fromm Cake Boss and Say Yes to the Dress are prominently featured, I think the Long Island Medium is in there too, but I don't remember seeing the Duggars. Does it specify online that they are participating in this? Somehow I can't see them doing it, as they might get called into a community that has gays, pro-choicers, and people with green hair.

Except they don't live in East Texas.

Oh, I thought the Texas vacay was why they were hog hunting. They come this way a lot, due to Big Sandy.

Archived