IGNORED

Do unmarried fundies know anything about their bodies?

txmommyof4

I hadn't ever actually seen any of the engaged Josh/Anna hand sex so I watched a couple of videos. One showed Anna talking shortly before her wedding. She mentioned that her mother took her aside and talked with her about being intimate with her husband. She said she is glad she didn't get that information until she needed it. I know Jim Bob had a talk with Josh and gave him a book. So are these kids completely in the dark until that time? I honestly can't remember a time when I had no clue at all about how things work. It seems like it would be almost terrifying if you had no clue about your spouse's anatomy until the minute you were supposed to start baby making!

FTR, I felt almost embarrassed watching the hand sex! I wanted to get them some rubber gloves to prevent a hand pregnancy!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it really depends on the family and the young adult's position in the family. Anna probably at least knew a little about male anatomy from having two younger brothers and changing diapers. While boys might not know as much about anatomy if they didn't have to change diapers. Jill obviously knew more about the whole process due to her apprenticeship. You could also have a situation where the older kids weren't allowed to change diapers because PURITY. But then again who's to say that they haven't walked in on their parents working on blessing #eleventy and figured it out from there. There's probably a whole continuum of various levels of understanding.

I bet there is a industrial lock on that door since it is their main job and income. But I bet Jim Bob never was allowed to change one of the girls diaper

I think medically regarding child rearing they know more than averagr. The youngest duggar children probably heard words like csection or placenta or contractions a lot. They see ultrasounds, talk about conception, stages of fetal development. Anna had a whole book to show Kynzie on it when she was pregnant.

I think sexually and sensually, they know much less than average about what they are sensitive to, erogenous zones, personal body knowledge, what feels good to them. The kind of thing you learn naturally when sex or masturbation isn't a big taboo.

They have a lot of textbook knowledge I think. Very little practical info.

But that's just my thought.

I did not grow up in a fundie household, but I did grow up in a very conservative Christian home. Until the day I got married, I did not know much of anything about my body. I knew how babies were made, I knew how to track my period and what it was for and that was it. I did not know anything sexual about my body.

The textbook knowledge vs practical info is what I had. Enough textbook knowledge to get me by, absolutely no practical knowledge.

I thought they only knew "keep your devil stick out of her Jesus hole until you're married". That was what I knew about sex growing up in a conservative household. Not those exact words but all I knew about sex was how not to make a baby.

The problem is all these poor children know is that sex is for making babies and that you have to give into your husband if he wants to bonk.

Sex is about discovering what you like and also a healthy thing about a relationship. How can you know what you like when you've never had it before, but you are expected immediately to make babies? That can't be fun for anyone involved.

Overall, sex is for pleasure, but I am wondering if these people will ever learn that?

They are not allowed to explore themselves either as that is evil - so they may know about their bodies, but not about how to pleasure themselves so to speak.

I think medically regarding child rearing they know more than averagr. The youngest duggar children probably heard words like csection or placenta or contractions a lot. They see ultrasounds, talk about conception, stages of fetal development. Anna had a whole book to show Kynzie on it when she was pregnant.

I think sexually and sensually, they know much less than average about what they are sensitive to, erogenous zones, personal body knowledge, what feels good to them. The kind of thing you learn naturally when sex or masturbation isn't a big taboo.

They have a lot of textbook knowledge I think. Very little practical info.

But that's just my thought.

Yeah, they have heard those things definitely. I just wonder how much of what they are told is accurate. Whether its medically or sexually based. Jim Bob is the one that said his kids were safe from shingles because they came down with chicken pox. If he's the one teaching them, I feel sorry for them all.

I always wondered that same thing. Like someone above said I am sure the older Duggar kids know more then the younger ones. I would think that if u are one of the oldest in a large family you would know a little bit cause u see your mother pregnant w/ a sibling.

Growing up, we were told in no uncertain terms, that the sole purpose of sex was for making babies. In less direct terms, we were told that our roles as women as far as sex went was to please our husbands.

Growing up, we were told in no uncertain terms, that the sole purpose of sex was for making babies. In less direct terms, we were told that our roles as women as far as sex went was to please our husbands.

WOW!!

I often wonder if they teach any basic anatomy in home school. Especially concerning the opposite sex. I doubt that they would even explain any basic body part function with boys and the girls at the same time. Since jb doesn't help with the home school then I bet they don't even separate the girls with Michelle and boys with him and do any of this on any level. I also wonder how they answer the kids when the children go through those question stages at a young age and inquire about genitalia and such. Anyone who's spent time with young kids knows that they do ask such things a lot. They don't know the difference between asking that sort of question vs asking about the moon, or milk, or who Abraham Lincoln was. Unless you are Duggar kid.

I bet there is a industrial lock on that door since it is their main job and income. But I bet Jim Bob never was allowed to change one of the girls diaper

I don't think he would have even if he were allowed - woman's work

I think until it is time to make babies, they know less than most about things like timing of ovulation and basic anatomy because of the way sex education is shunned. I grew up fundie-lite, and I was in my 20s before I found out that ovulation doesn't occur at the time of your period. :/

I think until it is time to make babies, they know less than most about things like timing of ovulation and basic anatomy because of the way sex education is shunned.

Good point!

I've read that in the most extreme Hasidic Jewish sects like the Gerer, that boys and girls (even siblings) are completely segregated by sex and aren't told anything about reproduction or their bodies at all until the day before their wedding:

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/week-s-e ... n-1.410811

(link not broken because Haatretz is a secular site)

The Kotzk Rebbe essentially claimed that love for the Lord and love for a woman do not go together. There is a rivalry between spirituality and sexuality, so sexuality has to be abolished," notes Wasserman, explaining the rationale.

"A young man's preparation for having a relationship with a woman is very limited. Only on his wedding day, about two hours before the marriage ceremony, does the counselor reveal to the groom what he must do on his wedding night. The girls receive more extensive counseling.

"There are grooms who throw up or faint when they hear these things," Wasserman notes. "But the sect is willing to pay this price, to receive the benefit of sanctity."

Years ago Anna's brother-in-law posted on TwoP about the wedding, and he said that the "talk" between Jim Bob and Josh was completely staged at TLC's insistence, because they wanted a scene like that.

I'm not saying they're at all progressive about sexuality but I don't get the sense the Duggars keep their kids completely ignorant until shortly before their marriages. I'm sure everything is discussed through the "it's a sin!" lens and there's no mention of the clitoris, but considering they keep track of their cycles together and think nothing of telling their mom to take a pregnancy test because she's late, I think they must be fairly open about basic biology and mechanics of it all.

and there's no mention of the clitoris

There wasn't in my house. I had no idea what one was, much less that I had one and what it did until after I was married! :pink-shock:

Are the girls allowed to use tampons??!!!

I highly doubt it. I think she means she explains which type of pad to use when you're spotting, which is good for overnight/heavy flow, which diapers to use after blessing #14....

I've read that in the most extreme Hasidic Jewish sects like the Gerer, that boys and girls (even siblings) are completely segregated by sex and aren't told anything about reproduction or their bodies at all until the day before their wedding:

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/week-s-e ... n-1.410811

(link not broken because Haatretz is a secular site)

This is horrible.

There wasn't in my house. I had no idea what one was, much less that I had one and what it did until after I was married! :pink-shock:

I know I had one, I read about it. I just didn't know what it was for. Never had the sex talk growing up. It wasn't until I was married that I discovered my body can do a whole lot

Archived