IGNORED

Amy Duggar careers?

hockeymoo

I didn't see a thread about tonight's Amy episode, which isn't surprising since most people don't seem to be as enchanted with Amy Duggar as she seems to be with herself...

She mentioned something about it being her 28th birthday, and then there were some clips of her singing at Jill's wedding (a little pitchy at times and sounding like a baby), and then she mentioned how it was the biggest crowd she's ever sung for (just under 2,000 people).

Why, at 28 years old, with hardly any experience and very little vocal talent, is she seriously pursuing singing as a career? What does she do the rest of the time?

I can see Amy as one of those hosts on the View or something, because she's talkative and outgoing and kinda shameless. But I don't think she'll become a renowned vocalist.

What kind of career would you see Amy Duggar in?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see a thread about it, which isn't surprising since most people don't seem to be as enchanted with Amy Duggar as she seems to be with herself...

She mentioned something about it being her 28th birthday, and then there were some clips of her singing at Jill's wedding (a little pitchy at times and sounding like a baby), and then she mentioned how it was the biggest crowd she's ever sung for (just under 2,000 people).

Why, at 28 years old, with hardly any experience and very little vocal talent, is she seriously pursuing singing as a career? What does she do the rest of the time?

I can see Amy as one of those hosts on the View or something, because she's talkative and outgoing and kinda shameless. But I don't think she'll become a renowned vocalist.

What kind of career would you see Amy Duggar in?

I don't know if people could actually stand working with her. She's quite nauseating!

I don't think she is the WORST singer. I don't know a lot about the field, but I suspect that she has some natural talent, and that, with proper education and training, she might be able to have a modest career in music. What really struck me about that episode last night was how childish her attitude was. She wants to be a PROFESSIONAL singer, but she acts like a middle-schooler with ADD. I can't believe that she showed up at the recording studio not knowing the song. She didn't even know the lyrics! And, when the manager/handler/whatever told her to NEVER admit to being unprepared, she argued with him.

If she really wanted to be a singer she'd have taken vocal lessons years ago and gotten some training in music theory.

That she hasn't speaks to how immature and foolish she is.

An actual career she'd be suitable for? Working with young children, like as a daycare worker. I think she's got the high energy personality for it.

28? What the heck does this person do with her time???

It ain't gonna happen Amy. If Duggar coattails were going to fling you anywhere, it would have happened already. I'm sure that in Amy's neck of the woods, the Duggars are A Super Huge Celebrity Deal but to the rest of the world they are barely a blip on the radar. TBH for most people they are probably not even on the radar at all.

I guess Amy would be the non-fundie version of SAHD? I bet she does live with her parents still.

I had trouble listening to Amy sing. She is not trained well (or at all?). Her singing at Jill's wedding was a nice tribute, but she just sounds very amateur. She could probably have a good voice with a lot of training, but it's pretty naive to think you can just suddenly decide to be a professional singer at 28 and instantly get a contract "without relying on the Duggar name." (yeah, right.)

I know people who have been trained by professionals to sing their entire lives who still struggle getting short-term singing gigs with other jobs mixed in to pay the bills. Even most very, very talented, well trained people never get a big recording deal.

I did like seeing Amy's mom hug her and tell her she will support whatever she decides to do, though. Man, that was refreshing to see on 19 Kids. No prescribed destiny to be a stay at home mom?!

I watched it, very boring.

According to the show, she does still live at home with her parents and she works as a nanny. they had a woman on who said Amy has taken care of her kids for about 5 years or so. Amy herself said she works for various families.

It was nice seeing her mom acting like a real mom and I especially enjoyed seeing Grandma Duggar out and about and supporting her eldest grandchild, she even went to a club to hear Amy sing and watched the music video she made! Go Grandma Duggar!

So she was at Jill's wedding after all and she sung? I wonder why TLC didn't include her in the Wedding epidsode?

I've run in to Amy around Nashville. She's actually pretty nice in person, for what it's worth. Not a great singer... but on par with just about every other wannabe country singer in the clubs on the offnights. *shrugs*

Using TLC income to pay a producer to get her a few singing gigs so she can feel like she is developing a music career is nuts. Her parents and grandma need to quit encouraging her on this folly.

Like all Duggars, they think they need no training or education in music to be a musician......not so......

Thanks to a wicked spell of insomnia last night, I ended up watching, even though I wasn't planning on it. In addition to seconding everyone's opinion about her mediocre (at best) voice I thought I'd add a few other thoughts:

1. She was bragging that she finally feels comfortable driving to Nashville by herself. At 28?? Really?? At 28 I was traveling around the world by myself!

2. Her agent guy is CREee-py! Just my opinion...

3. Usually Michelle's THs make me want to vomit, especially if they involve life lessons/advice to her kids. But I actually LIKED what she had to say to Amy... essentially to enjoy the experience whether she goes big or not. Of course, that's Michelle's passive-aggressive way of telling Amy she isn't good enough, but hey, isn't that what we're all thinking?

4. I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I were forced to choose between Amy's wardrobe and the "modest" wardrobe of the older girls... I would pick the modest one! Amy's "style" is horrible IMO! That blue dress was awful. And what was up with that 80's Bill Cosby sweater?

5. Her fears of a cheesy, unprofessional video came to pass... sorry, but it was exactly what she said she didn't want to to be.

6. I will give her props for the donut cake. As someone hates virtually all sugary desserts, especially cake, donuts are my one downfall... I'll have to remember that idea. :)

Thanks to a wicked spell of insomnia last night, I ended up watching, even though I wasn't planning on it. In addition to seconding everyone's opinion about her mediocre (at best) voice I thought I'd add a few other thoughts:

1. She was bragging that she finally feels comfortable driving to Nashville by herself. At 28?? Really?? At 28 I was traveling around the world by myself!

2. Her agent guy is CREee-py! Just my opinion...

3. Usually Michelle's THs make me want to vomit, especially if they involve life lessons/advice to her kids. But I actually LIKED what she had to say to Amy... essentially to enjoy the experience whether she goes big or not. Of course, that's Michelle's passive-aggressive way of telling Amy she isn't good enough, but hey, isn't that what we're all thinking?

4. I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I were forced to choose between Amy's wardrobe and the "modest" wardrobe of the older girls... I would pick the modest one! Amy's "style" is horrible IMO! That blue dress was awful. And what was up with that 80's Bill Cosby sweater?

5. Her fears of a cheesy, unprofessional video came to pass... sorry, but it was exactly what she said she didn't want to to be.

6. I will give her props for the donut cake. As someone hates virtually all sugary desserts, especially cake, donuts are my one downfall... I'll have to remember that idea. :)

LOL, don't you love Michelle's brand of passive-aggressive babytalk? Ohhh, ____ is sooo sweeeet *furrows brow innocently* BLAH.

Amy has an average look and an average voice. Someone above said "amateurish" and that's exactly what I'd use to describe her. I wonder if she is as sheltered as the Duggars and actually believes that she's got a chance in the music industry, or if she's perfectly aware that her country peers would be people like Carrie Underwood and has just deluded herself into thinking she's on par with that?

It was nice seeing her mom acting like a real mom and I especially enjoyed seeing Grandma Duggar out and about and supporting her eldest grandchild, she even went to a club to hear Amy sing and watched the music video she made! Go Grandma Duggar!

Grandma Duggar, you are welcome to be my grandma any time and I wont make you do ANY chores! :)

She's pretty cool Mary, how she gave birth to a nut job like boob though we'll never know.

Edited for bad grammar.

I can picture Amy as a waitress. Not in an upscale restaurant - but in a family oriented place or a truck stop. She'd get some good tips with her personality - as long as she didn't bug the patrons too much.

She'd do well when someone had a birthday and she got to sing Happy Birthday to them.

If she really wanted to be a singer she'd have taken vocal lessons years ago and gotten some training in music theory.

That she hasn't speaks to how immature and foolish she is.

An actual career she'd be suitable for? Working with young children, like as a daycare worker. I think she's got the high energy personality for it.

And, preschool teachers sing a lot :D

Amy made me cringe in embarrassment for her during both her open mike night performance and singing at the meeting. Her behavior is middle-school - ish and her vocals need more coaching. If the Duggar last name is not "cared" about by Nashville music producers; then why doesn't Amy take her biological father's last name???

Wish Amy would pop herself into college...it is never to late. I can see her majoring in early childhood education and I think she would excel in a career path along those lines. But, she has a dream. Let her go for it and get it out of her system, better to try then not try. She will sink or swim but at least she will not someday be 50 and looking back wishing she had given it a shot. JMO, For what it's worth.

Amy's mother Deanna sings every once in a while in the Tribute to John Denver show in Branson. In one episode of the Duggars they were visiting Branson while Jim Garrett who stars in the show gave Amy a chance to sing on stage. she sang Amazing Grace. I think Garrett gave Amy some singing lessons and remember there was a big brou ha ha about a fan trying to Blackmail Amy and Garrett. Something about an inappropriate friendship.

Anyway Amy doesn't have what it takes to be a professional singer and she better realize that fast. You think Grandma Dugger and her mother would encourage her to go to college to make something of herself. The only way I see her getting some kind of singing gig would be to sing backup for a warm up band that will never be successful.

Just curious where do people see Amy in 10 years? I doubt any of us expect her dreams to come true. I agree that daycare teacher or waitress would make good career options but I almost wonder if her life will end up more similar to her cousins with her getting married and being a SAHM. Unlike her cousins at 28 she's not an old maid since she's not trying to attract a fundie guy.

For now I hope she is a full time nanny and it's not just a couple days a week. I really feel like by 28 you should be past chasing foolish dreams like becoming a professional musician when you've had no real success so far.

I'm all for dreaming, no matter what your age, but Famy is never going to be a singing sensation in Nashville or even in Branson. She's got a decent voice, but so do tons of other people. This is all TLC/Duggar driven and she seems not to get that. And I'm not sure I've ever heard the word "Me" uttered so many times in a one hour TV episode.

In 10 years, I see her married - or more likely divorced - with a few kids working some low end job to try to pay the rent on time. Depressing, but that's her probable trajectory given the fact that she's done nothing to prepare herself for a long-term career. And I think everyone needs to spend a large chunk of their young years preparing to support themselves and their families for life. It's tough world.

I can picture Amy as a waitress. Not in an upscale restaurant - but in a family oriented place or a truck stop. She'd get some good tips with her personality - as long as she didn't bug the patrons too much.

She'd do well when someone had a birthday and she got to sing Happy Birthday to them.

I can totally see her as a waitress in Chili's or Applebee's or something similar. I think Outback Steakhouse would be to "upscale" for her.

Once she gets preggers and has the baby, this singing idea will be a dream of the past. Too bad she had to imprint it all on film.

Archived