IGNORED

Amy Duggar careers?

hockeymoo

And from her behavior at the recording, I don't think she has the work ethic either.

I must say I was pretty appalled that she couldn't sing that song from memory, if this is her passion and dream why wasn't she prepared or at least brought her OWN cheat-sheets?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought it was ridiculous that she went to Nashville for 2 weeks!!

Are you kidding me?? I thought she was actually moving there, not just staying for 2 weeks. How can you really get anywhere in that amount of time? pack up and move there and work the clubs, bars, etc etc. how ridiculous!

I just thought it was ridiculous that she went to Nashville for 2 weeks!!

Are you kidding me?? I thought she was actually moving there, not just staying for 2 weeks. How can you really get anywhere in that amount of time? pack up and move there and work the clubs, bars, etc etc. how ridiculous!

Well, she was thinking about moving, which she talked about at the end if the episode. :?

Well, she was thinking about moving, which she talked about at the end if the episode. :?

I guess I don't get why she WOULDN'T just move there for a while if she's serious about her career. I'm in my 20's and grew up about 4-5 hours from Nashville, and a handful of my peers have done this. I mean, if you're serious about it (and I assume that she is, since she's promoted herself on national TV), then why would you not? I'm just not convinced that her maturity level is that high.

It's Amy's dream. Do I think she'll succeed? No. So what? She isn't tied down to anything so let her try. No one succeeds at everything they do. That's life.

But don't you think at a certain point a person should be able to support themselves? I would be shocked if it turned out that Amy made anywhere near enough to support herself if something happened to her parents. We talk a lot about fundie women in cases where a husband dies or is disabled what about Famy? Could she manage if something happened to her parents. Also what is still providing for her doing to their retirement savings. Excluding marriage to somebody well off there is no way she'll be able to return the favor when her parents are older unless she gets her act together now. She's almost thirty with college degree and very little work experience other than that of a nanny. And I wouldn't be surprised if her nanny position wasn't fulltime but just a sometime gig.

I also think it ignores me that the Duggar children see her as the non-fundie lifestyle. Why can't they be close with a cousin who went to college and has a career that they love? That would be able to help if one of them wanted to leave without turning to her parents.

In a way, that makes Amy even more frustrating to me. She has all these opportunities, but she squanders them by being the female equivalent of a man-child.

Man-child makes me think of Jim Boob. In a lot of ways, Amy is like the female version of him - obnoxious, immature, kinda deluded and self-focused, and her weird combo of being ambitious in theory yet lazy in practice reminds me of Jim Bob's whole way of life that revolves around making an easy buck wherever possible.

Famy is now Fame-Bob

Man-child makes me think of Jim Boob. In a lot of ways, Amy is like the female version of him - obnoxious, immature, kinda deluded and self-focused, and her weird combo of being ambitious in theory yet lazy in practice reminds me of Jim Bob's whole way of life that revolves around making an easy buck wherever possible.

Famy is now Fame-Bob

Amy reminds me very much of my ex-husband who was going to "make it big" in the music industry, but instead of actually DOING anything and MOVING to a good music town (there is one just two hours away and one about five hours away), he just played in dive bars with his brother.

Famy is now Fame-Bob

While Jim Bob might be after an easy buck it appears that he's always been pretty industrious especially when he was younger. He was working at a yogurt shop I believe when Michelle remembers meeting him. And after they got married he had business venture after business venture. I think if they hadn't gone fundie Jim Bob would have still ended up being very well off without any help from TLC because his real estate investments would have been enough to support them very nicely with two or three kids.

While Jim Bob might be after an easy buck it appears that he's always been pretty industrious especially when he was younger. He was working at a yogurt shop I believe when Michelle remembers meeting him. And after they got married he had business venture after business venture. I think if they hadn't gone fundie Jim Bob would have still ended up being very well off without any help from TLC because his real estate investments would have been enough to support them very nicely with two or three kids.

I'm talking about how Jim-Bob will sell shitty used vehicles and buy properties at auction and will basically find any way to be as cheap as possible without doing much actual work himself in order to make money. The TLC show and books are just add-ons. Some people would call that industrious, some people would call that slimy and exploitative, especially in light of how the Duggars spout off about their beliefs. I for one think Jim-Bob has few actual skills to offer the world and a disproportionately huge sense of self-importance. And in that regard, I think he and Amy are similar.

I think it's great to pursue your dreams if you can do it while you balance adult responsibilities. I'm not sure Amy has any adult responsibilities. I totally agree that I'm really glad she has the opportunity to at least be much more independent than the J'kids, but to be honest, she still seems pretty "behind" the average 28 year old. It doesn't really seem like she is doing anything with her life. I too thought it was bizarre that she seemed proud of driving to Nashville alone. At 28?! I think it is pretty ridiculous that someone who has been out of high school for A DECADE has never had a full-time job, driven outside her town or lived away from her parents and it is a bit hard for me not to think that her parents shouldn't be a little ashamed of themselves for enabling her this long. I don't think you are doing a 28 year old any favors to let them stay at home if they don't have that intrinsic motivation to go out and try to become independent on their own. Some people need the "push."

I do feel bad for her that she is probably always used as the example. There's always that silent judgment in Michelle's eyes, uhg.

I'm not sure Amy could even be a church choir director. It didn't seem like she was actually trained or could read sheet music. I think she probably just sings for fun, and it would be pretty impossible to work with music arrangement and accompanists on piano or other instruments with no training. I mean, maybe I'm wrong and she's had more training than we know, but it kind of didn't seem that way.

I'm talking about how Jim-Bob will sell shitty used vehicles and buy properties at auction and will basically find any way to be as cheap as possible without doing much actual work himself in order to make money. The TLC show and books are just add-ons. Some people would call that industrious, some people would call that slimy and exploitative, especially in light of how the Duggars spout off about their beliefs. I for one think Jim-Bob has few actual skills to offer the world and a disproportionately huge sense of self-importance. And in that regard, I think he and Amy are similar.

I agree that he's slimy but you can be slimy and lazy (Josh when he was selling used cars) or slimy and a hard worker like Jim Bob appears to have been. If you believe how Michelle talks about life before Josh it sounds like they were both working hard during those years.

I think it's great to pursue your dreams if you can do it while you balance adult responsibilities. I'm not sure Amy has any adult responsibilities. I totally agree that I'm really glad she has the opportunity to at least be much more independent than the J'kids, but to be honest, she still seems pretty "behind" the average 28 year old. It doesn't really seem like she is doing anything with her life. I too thought it was bizarre that she seemed proud of driving to Nashville alone. At 28?! I think it is pretty ridiculous that someone who has been out of high school for A DECADE has never had a full-time job, driven outside her town or lived away from her parents and it is a bit hard for me not to think that her parents shouldn't be a little ashamed of themselves for enabling her this long. I don't think you are doing a 28 year old any favors to let them stay at home if they don't have that intrinsic motivation to go out and try to become independent on their own. Some people need the "push."

I do feel bad for her that she is probably always used as the example. There's always that silent judgment in Michelle's eyes, uhg.

I'm not sure Amy could even be a church choir director. It didn't seem like she was actually trained or could read sheet music. I think she probably just sings for fun, and it would be pretty impossible to work with music arrangement and accompanists on piano or other instruments with no training. I mean, maybe I'm wrong and she's had more training than we know, but it kind of didn't seem that way.

Yeah, church choir directors need to be able to read music, at the very least. Many of them have a good bit of formal music education. I can see Erin Bates possibly working as a choir director, but not Amy.

All of the church choir directors that I know have degrees in music and at least two have PhDs in church music. Amy could be the choir director at Jim Bob's warehouse church. More than likely until she gets more education, she'll be lucky to sing in the choir.

When it comes to Amy and a music career, things have been a bit weird. Amy recorded some kind of album in 2006 IIRC, before the Duggars got a regular show. I think she is ok singer and definitely better than her cousins. Before she headed to Nashville, I noticed that in the past few years, she rarely plays gigs and on her website which seems to be gone, there was never booking info. I'm a bit surprised that she never released booking info, I think some Duggar fans near or in Arkansas might have hired her for events.

Amy might be able to release an indie country album. Maybe some in will encourage her to get more training or a music degree. But I don't see her doing stuff like that.

Archived