IGNORED

Where are Jessa and Ben living?

anjulibai

Eh, I'm not gonna pick on Jessa for her use of Wha-la! There's a good chance she was saying it in a joking manner.

I can think of a couple of people who used to post on FJ who used "walla" on a semi-regular basis, and I once quoted Scully from the Little Mermaid by posting "voy-oh-lay."

It's all tongue-in-cheek. Even if Jessa didn't get the pop cultural references, she could have still just been having fun.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt so embarrassed for her when i read that! She sure has the Duggar dumb.

I can't fault her. People want to spell words the way they sound. My DH used to say vee o la because that is the way it looks.

I don't think Jessa was joking. Fundies have a hard time spelling voilà. I think we once had a whole thread devoted to Bethany Beasley spelling it Wal-la :lol:

I don't think it means Jessa is stupid.

One thing's for sure, Jessa definitely reads people's comments because she edited her FB status:

Made breakfast omelets this morning! Sautéed some garlic, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes & spinach, and put them in the egg omelet with some mozzarella cheese. Sprinkled sea salt and black pepper over the top, and "Wha-la!" (or "Viola!" if you're French). A delicious, healthy breakfast!

Somehow I don't think she was joking either... :violin: :lol: I can give her a pass for misspelling a word the first time but not for the second time. If she's so concerned about what others are saying that she's going to correct herself, at least do some research and get it right! :doh:

Over on the Pickles & Hairspray FB someone put up a photo of Josh and Anna's old house. Interestingly their kitchen had a window directly above the stove, sort of how it looks like in Jessa's photo. With just a few cosmetic changes - ie. granite countertops, different backsplash, etc. - I could see that now being Jessa and Ben's house.

As much as I hate defending these people, I also won't fault Jessa for not knowing the correct spelling of a non-English word, although her editing in the correction is lawl worthy :D. I'm also quite impressed she knows the difference between the word "your" and contraction "you're", which is far more than I can say for the vast majority of commenters all over the Internet....including several posters here :?

I really hope that the two new families aren't actually living together. Newlyweds need their own time and personal space to get to know one another. :(

Newlyweds shouldn't need that time and personal space to get to know each other because if you're going to make a LIFE LONG (divorce NOT an option) commitment to another human being you should ALREADY KNOW EACH OTHER extremely well. But these people don't. That is very sad :(

Anyway, if they were living in Josh and Anna's old home, wouldn't word have gotten out by now? That home wasn't exactly in the middle of nowhere at the end of an unpaved road. It was on a very busy main street if I recall correctly. I would assume it still gets semi-regular Duggar fellatiers passing by and someone would have noticed if the home was occupied again, especially by the newest Duggar couple.

As much as I hate defending these people, I also won't fault Jessa for not knowing the correct spelling of a non-English word, although her editing in the correction is lawl worthy :D. I'm also quite impressed she knows the difference between the word "your" and contraction "you're", which is far more than I can say for the vast majority of commenters all over the Internet....including several posters here :?

I think part of the blame for the " your" " you're" issue is that so many people post on mobile devices now. I know that my iPad is extremely determined to autocorrect those particular words incorrectly. If I remember, I'll re-read before I post something, or possibly go back and edit when I see how phenomenally incomprehensible autocorrect has made something. But a lot of the time I don't. And on Facebook you have to go in and delete the whole post and start over.

Of course, soooooooo many people on Internet comment sections seem to be pretty much functionally illiterate. But I think for many others, the combination of being used to texting shorthand and autocorrect are primarily to blame.

Also, the iPad is insisting that " Internet" MUST be capitalized, no matter what. Creepy. :?

Meh. I'm still gonna fault Jessa for writing "Wah-la!" And obviously, their parents for her SOTDRT "education." Anyway, I wanted to add that I can't NOT read it as "Wallah," which I hear all the time because I live in Berlin, and in a pretty heavily Turkish and Arabic neighborhood. And it's just so... fitting. :D

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallah_%28Arabic%29

I can't fault her. People want to spell words the way they sound. My DH used to say vee o la because that is the way it looks.

Only if you misspell it like the musical instrument, as Jessa did. The correct spelling is "voilà", and, short of misreading it, there's no way to take that oi and turn it into an ee-o sound.

'Wha-la' is silly but I can't really attribute it to her fundamentalist upbringing. I've seen tons of people make that mistake. Otherwise she seems to be a decent writer. Sadly, a better writer than most people her age.

Newlyweds shouldn't need that time and personal space to get to know each other because if you're going to make a LIFE LONG (divorce NOT an option) commitment to another human being you should ALREADY KNOW EACH OTHER extremely well. But these people don't. That is very sad :(

Anyway, if they were living in Josh and Anna's old home, wouldn't word have gotten out by now? That home wasn't exactly in the middle of nowhere at the end of an unpaved road. It was on a very busy main street if I recall correctly. I would assume it still gets semi-regular Duggar fellatiers passing by and someone would have noticed if the home was occupied again, especially by the newest Duggar couple.

Oh, I agree with you there. I think that in fundamentalism, there is an extremely limited window of opportunity for a couple to really get to know each other, and sadly, it isn't before the wedding ceremony as it should be. That time is immediately after marriage and before the advent of any blessings. The luckier couples might get 6 months to a year before getting pregnant, but then you have couples like Jill and Derick who wind up getting pregnant almost immediately.

That would really be my biggest gripe about Jill and Jessa if they were all four living together with their men. Jill doesn't have much time before her bundle arrives, and Jessa could quite possibly be pregnant already. Better they spend this time alone with their spouses before the hordes of kiddos start coming. :(

My first thought on the picture of Jessa's omelette was "is that not Josh and Anna's old house?"

It could be, but the only thing similar is the white windowsill/ledge. Josh and Anna had that over their stove range. But the counters, backsplash, and oven are different. They could have renovated, of course.

The thought that both newlywed couples are sharing the McMansion is ... just.. strange. Not having the thought, but them actually doing it.

None of them seem like deep thinkers, maybe if you are the kind of person whose thoughts are fairly light all the time, it would never occur to you to protect what little bit of newlywed marital development time you have.

I'm trying to say, if they are doing that, Jessa and Jill probably think it's a great idea as long as they are not having to witness the other couple's intimate activity and I would not really expect these couples to be into creativity - it seems like they'd be perfectly fine confining their marital activity to their bedroom so this would likely not be an issue.

They might not ever realize what a valuable thing they are giving up but then again, these are people who've lived their entire days and nights literally in the company of at least five other people. Being alone probably makes Jill and Jessa feel uneasy.

For whatever talk of Jill working as a midwife, I am convinced that will not happen any more. Essentially, all of Jill and Jessa's life centers around the family they grew up in and how they are adding to that family. There is none of the usual expectation of finding a job, living on their own for a time, nothing like that. In so many ways it seems they will never cut the apron strings back to the mother ship.

All that to say, if the newlyweds are sharing a house, they probably see nothing wrong with it. At all.

My sister and I had an interesting conversation on that note a couple months ago. She's jumped from one long-term relationship to the next from the time she was about 19, whereas I've never had a serious relationship and never even had a roommate. We realized that she doesn't know how not to be in a relationship, and I don't know how to be in one. Being in a relationship is all she's ever really known, whereas being single is my norm. It's hard for either of us to fathom a different way. As for the Duggars, all these girls have ever known is living in a house crowded with other people. They know no other way. Suddenly living alone with one person might be a huge shock to the system.

Big flippin' deal over the wallah. When pronounced correctly it does just about sound like that to someone who have not studied french. I know quite a few non-home schooled people that have in fact spelling that way! (I usually corrected them), but still, how nitpicky can we get?

Living fully independently is not necessarily a value shared by the world at large. Many cultures have cross generational living or 2 or more families sharing a home.

As big as Jill's house is, I honestly wouldn't see the problem with them sharing it. The house has 5 bedrooms, I think, and a big basement. Other than the kitchen, it would be possible for them to each have their own zone of the home for themselves, and still live fairly privately. And if the basement is large enough, it could even be converted into a nice apartment or might have a second kitchen in it.

My sister and her family lived with my family for about 6 months when they were building a house. We had 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, so each family had a designated bathroom and then we had a "Public" bathroom on the main floor for anyone or guests to use. We shared just one kitchen, but we had a spare fridge in our Garage, so they kept their groceries there. I tended to do most of the cooking, so they would just pay us a bit each month to cover some expenses and I cooked evening meals. Lunch, Breakfast, etc was kind of a free for all and sometimes would be us as big group and sometimes each family did their own things.

Privacy was not really a big issue. We weren't newlyweds, but even if we had been I don't think it would have been a big deal. We had one kid at the time, and my sister had 2. My master bedroom is ginormous, so we got some privacy screens and created a nook for my daughter and then because my sister's 2 girls were a bit older, they shared a bedroom and my sister and her husband shared another bedroom. We ended up with a spare bedroom that we set up as a laundry management area because I just had a small laundry closet at the time. So we organized the room with a big folding table, drying rack, Ironing board and baskets to keep everything separated. It worked great.

When they finally got their house done, and moved out, we all really missed each other. It went remarkably well and honestly I think we could have lived like that for a long time, and my sister and I are not particularly close. We get a long well, but we have separate sets of friends and very different interests.

I wonder if this is the trade off for getting the Parisian honeymoon.... living in the garage.

I don't care if it's nice, or free, it's just bloody insulting. Boob gave everyone else their own house, but Ben is his whipping boy so they have to stay on the compound...

What is the area besides ben's old bedroom? Could that be their apartment? They didn't show that part in the episode where they were preparing his bedroom. It looks like it has a kitchen and is decorated.

What is the area besides ben's old bedroom? Could that be their apartment? They didn't show that part in the episode where they were preparing his bedroom. It looks like it has a kitchen and is decorated.

For all we know they added a kitchen and living space next to that bedroom. I though the bedroom was just up a flight of stairs in a lot area.

I see no issue with them living there until Bin can make a living and afford a home. I'm going with the idea that Derrick pays JB rent on the McMansion (probably a steal) which is something Bin cannot do at this point.

Ugh, I will be so mad for Jessa if they are living in Ben's cell. Its just awful if they are showing so much favouritism between her and Jill, not to mention how unloved Jessa will feel to get that after Jill got a huge house.

I dont think they are living in Ben's shed, even just because of what the viewers would think of Jimbob if he did that. I cant imagine even the most dedicated leghumper not seeing how unfair it is that Jessa and Ben get to live in the shed, and Jill and Derick get a house from Jimbob.

The kitchen area in the video is not actually outside of Ben's cell. They just cut it to look like it.

Pillow patrol officer about to open the door. No wall left of door.

post-11048-14451999738406_thumb.png

Pillow patrol officer opened door. Suddenly there's a wall left of the door, right outside it.

post-11048-14451999738827_thumb.png

So ... the cell doesn't have a kitchen. (In the video that's probably the guest house kitchen.)

The kitchen where Jessa cooked the omelette is different from that kitchen too (window above stove).

Assuming she cooked the omelette at the house where she and Ben are living, we can conclude that they live neither in the cell nor in the guest house.

(Josh and Anna's old house is a more likely possibility, I think.)

On another note:

I love how the cell is a total mess and they just covered a huge pile of junk with a blanket ...

post-11048-14451999739146_thumb.png

Nail clippers on the night stand ...

post-11048-14451999739448_thumb.png

ETA: I think the "Wha-la omelette" kitchen looks nice and I hope Ben and Jessa are enjoying living together in a (hopefully) nice house. If it really is Josh and Anna's old house, it is plenty big for two adults one adult and one teenager. There would be no reason for her to be jealous just because Jill got a bigger house. We don't know the terms of that agreement. Not everyone always gets the same stuff in live and not everyone even wants the same stuff.

Archived