IGNORED

Don't Do Dinner at the Duggars

N The Prayer Closet

Wouldn't it be awesome if they had some guests who would get into the "discussion" and would bring up some different view points? I bet the "discussion" would be over pretty soon. But maybe the kids would have a small chance to hear that not everyone agrees with Gothard and the ATI doctrine.

While that hypothetical would be awesome, it would never happen. I imagine the Duggars' discussion would be like a guest trying to argue with Bill O'Reilly. They would just talk over you and not let you get a word in.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had flashbacks to when my ex-bf (in college) started doing Amway and started having "opportunity gatherings" where he would invite a bunch of people over and "show the business". He started getting really controlling around then, and started ascribing to the gender rules - they were notoriously very sexist (I could write a long, long post about those experiences, but I won't do it here).

I ended up getting out of that relationship bc of his behavior and also bc I was sick of trying to trick friends and family into watching a pitch.

I would be pissed if I was invited to someone's home under the pretense of a social gathering, and end up having to sit through a freaking scam presentation. UGH.

You should discuss this in Wide World of Snark. I'm 34 and finally have the balls to firmly tell people "No" but I have suffered through many "parties" for various crap I didn't want or need. I would leave people's homes feeling resentful and broke.

So do they get a commission for every person they get to sign up for that? I don't understand WHY they'd make people sit through it. . . What's THEIR payoff? These people don't do anything without expecting a return.

My liberal, feminist Unitarian self shits better than these people cook!

And if I was to invite people over to watch something, you better believe I'd ask them what movie/program they would like to see. That's just good manners. I may want to watch "This is Spinal Tap" for the 9,418th time or binge watch "Absolutely Fabulous" until my eyeballs fall out of their sockets and roll under my couch, but not everyone has my pop culture tastes.

It just kills me how the Duggar leghumpers (like Lori) praise the Duggars for being so well-mannered and gracious when they are the rudest people around.

I do find it strange how often people bring them meals. Does this happen this often with non-fundie families? The only time I remember this happening when I was a kid was when someone had just passed away.

The only time around here, and it's getting less frequent sadly, that food is taken to some is when someone in the home is ill, someone in the house just had surgery, someone just had a baby, or someone died. Ill and surgery is dependent on type.

My liberal, feminist Unitarian self shits better than these people cook!

And if I was to invite people over to watch something, you better believe I'd ask them what movie/program they would like to see. That's just good manners. I may want to watch "This is Spinal Tap" for the 9,418th time or binge watch "Absolutely Fabulous" until my eyeballs fall out of their sockets and roll under my couch, but not everyone has my pop culture tastes.

It just kills me how the Duggar leghumpers (like Lori) praise the Duggars for being so well-mannered and gracious when they are the rudest people around.

slightly ot, but i would totally binge watch ab fab with you.

Whats wrong with plastic plates? You take them home and wash them and put them away to be reused. We have several of the "Take And Toss" ones. I bought them for my daughter, but I use them too lol.

Thats what I was thinking of when she said "plastic plates" unless theres another kind of plastic plate that you throw away and isn't very sturdy?

Whats wrong with plastic plates? You take them home and wash them and put them away to be reused. We have several of the "Take And Toss" ones. I bought them for my daughter, but I use them too lol.

Thats what I was thinking of when she said "plastic plates" unless theres another kind of plastic plate that you throw away and isn't very sturdy?

yeah, our picnic basket came with washable sturdy plastic plates, too. But I think the other person misunderstood and thought disposable, that's all.

The only time around here, and it's getting less frequent sadly, that food is taken to some is when someone in the home is ill, someone in the house just had surgery, someone just had a baby, or someone died. Ill and surgery is dependent on type.

To the bolded, this is so true. Permit me to go off topic for a moment.

I've been running into people I've known for sometime now, people I've liked and worked with before, who will often stop to tell me they have been praying for me the entire time my son has been ill. If someone devout tells me they are praying for me, someone who is only tangentially involved in my life, I've always thanked them and appreciated that they were thinking of me and my family. And I've meant it because I believe it is a wonderful kindness that strangers and acquaintances were willing to spare a though for my child and offer up a prayer.

But people claiming to be friends have almost never offered to help over the years, such as coming by to visit, bringing food, helping with appointments, etc., and yet they'll say they are praying for me. I honestly feel like this is an effective way for someone to do absolutely nothing all while trying to convince someone else (or a crowd) that they actually are doing something.

I'll be honest, I don't really need the help or resources at this point since our situation has improved, but my point is that if you know someone in need, offer to help in some way. Prayers are only worth so much if the need is desperate and a death or illness in a family requires time or resources. Prayers won't put food on the table, get someone to a doctor visit, or help pay the bills.

Thank you for letting me vent, I've been wanting to get that off my chest for awhile now.

And snarkykitty, I would also be interested in hearing more about your ex-boyfriend and his scams. Perhaps a new thread?

They have a projector screen

[attachment=0]Capture.JPG[/attachment]

eta: i totally agree aobut the hair situation :lol: i have long hair too and i can't stand to cook with it down. I've seen Jessa and Jill with theirs up, so i bet they don't have their hair down on non-filming days.

LOL, did you read the comments on that pic? Someone's complaining that the duggarfam and annaduggar accounts blocked her. Well, that girl IS OBSESSED enough that she uses the Duggar name in her handle.

To the bolded, this is so true. Permit me to go off topic for a moment.

I've been running into people I've known for sometime now, people I've liked and worked with before, who will often stop to tell me they have been praying for me the entire time my son has been ill. If someone devout tells me they are praying for me, someone who is only tangentially involved in my life, I've always thanked them and appreciated that they were thinking of me and my family. And I've meant it because I believe it is a wonderful kindness that strangers and acquaintances were willing to spare a though for my child and offer up a prayer.

But people claiming to be friends have almost never offered to help over the years, such as coming by to visit, bringing food, helping with appointments, etc., and yet they'll say they are praying for me. I honestly feel like this is an effective way for someone to do absolutely nothing all while trying to convince someone else (or a crowd) that they actually are doing something.

I'll be honest, I don't really need the help or resources at this point since our situation has improved, but my point is that if you know someone in need, offer to help in some way. Prayers are only worth so much if the need is desperate and a death or illness in a family requires time or resources. Prayers won't put food on the table, get someone to a doctor visit, or help pay the bills.

Thank you for letting me vent, I've been wanting to get that off my chest for awhile now.

And snarkykitty, I would also be interested in hearing more about your ex-boyfriend and his scams. Perhaps a new thread?

I used to make meals for sick friends and friends recovering, but stopped because I just couldn't keep track of who was following which diet that week, who's gluten intolerant one week, but eating only gluten the next, who's on South Beach or temporarily allergic to peanuts or strawberries, who's doing Atkins or paleo or whatever. Frankly I got tired of putting time into making meals, only to have them turned away most of the time because they weren't part of the Diet of the Week.

That's awful, DGayle, I'm so sorry you were treated that way. :( If someone had cared enough to give us food after Boy R and M was diagnosed, I would have gobbled it down, and I've even got food allergies. I was too darn tired to cook after being at the hospital several times a week, every week for a year to be picky about what was on my dinner plate.

I think it's wonderful that you tried to help them - they really should have been grateful and said thanks, all while accepting your food. Whoever had the diet or allergy could have had something else while the rest of the family chowed down.

That's awful, DGayle, I'm so sorry you were treated that way. :( If someone had cared enough to give us food after Boy R and M was diagnosed, I would have gobbled it down, and I've even got food allergies. I was too darn tired to cook after being at the hospital several times a week, every week for a year to be picky about what was on my dinner plate.

I think it's wonderful that you tried to help them - they really should have been grateful and said thanks, all while accepting your food. Whoever had the diet or allergy could have had something else while the rest of the family chowed down.

Our UU church has a caring & sharing group where they often request meals for church members (or rides, or just cards) who are going through any sort of a tough time. If the involved person/family has specific dietary requirements, they state it, and there are enough people on the list that if one isn't sure how to make a certain cuisine or adapt to food allergies or sensitivities, you just don't sign up to help for that. My husband can't eat dairy so when I had surgery he decided to just subsist on frozen dinners and take out, but we knew the food chain was always an option. People still prayed for us, but they were able to go beyond that. While prayer is appreciated, it smacks of Slacktivism, where people post something on their Facebook wall to show support or sympathy but don't actually do anything concrete to help those they support. Just my two cents.

Hope things are on the upswing for you, R&M.

I wouldn't eat from these people ever

Guess I've been watching too much Walking Dead lately, but I read that as eating from them literally, and I hate to think what all of those awful dinners have done to the insides and flesh of the Duggars.

They have that industrial washer that she bragged on in one of the first specials. They could use plates and put them through there. I think it washes in like 5 minutes. They are just to lazy to use regular dishes.

EXACTLY! Those things are awesome!

But then they are too lazy to put things in cupboards.

How are plastic plates better? Serious question.

The plastic I use are pretty nice. Not disposable. I scrape them off and put them in a bag, take them home and wash. In the '70s many folks used melamine for every day. They don't bend or crack apart, you can cut a piece of meat on them. I also have stainless steel utensils in my picnic basket. And place mats and cloth napkins.

Personally, I think a meal deserves the niceness of real plates.

Then you have the invironment thing - unless you are in a drought area where water conservation trumps all of the above.

The plastic I use are pretty nice. Not disposable. I scrape them off and put them in a bag, take them home and wash. In the '70s many folks used melamine for every day. They don't bend or crack apart, you can cut a piece of meat on them. I also have stainless steel utensils in my picnic basket. And place mats and cloth napkins.

Personally, I think a meal deserves the niceness of real plates.

Then you have the invironment thing - unless you are in a drought area where water conservation trumps all of the above.

A lot of Mennonites use the melamine because they are so durable and even small kids can wash them without breaking them.

A lot of Mennonites use the melamine because they are so durable and even small kids can wash them without breaking them.

Does that product leach chemicals into the food?

Does that product leach chemicals into the food?

Yes, but not at harmful levels.

I was picturing the disposable plastic plates. Also I try to avoid plastic as much as possible. (which is very difficult in the United States. We love our petroleum based products.)

The melamine used in dishes is not the same thing at all as the melamine that the Chinese were using to adulterate pet food a few years ago.

A popular brand of melamine dinnerware in the 50s and 60s was Melmac. Some of us are probably having an A.L.F. flashback right about now.

I wouldn't eat at the Duggars because we eat differently than they do.

Last night I roasted sugar pumpkins and made creamy pumpkin soup with fresh carrots, ginger and home grown apples. I topped it with homemade croutons and crispy roasted pancetta. The dog even loved it.

It was served in real ceramic bowls.

The melamine used in dishes is not the same thing at all as the melamine that the Chinese were using to adulterate pet food a few years ago.

A popular brand of melamine dinnerware in the 50s and 60s was Melmac. Some of us are probably having an A.L.F. flashback right about now.

yes! melmac lol i couldn't remember the name. The only bad thing is that it can't go in the microwave or it gets burned. But then, my mom eventually stuck the microwave out in the garage so we didn't really use it much. :lol:

I wouldn't eat at the Duggars because we eat differently than they do.

Last night I roasted sugar pumpkins and made creamy pumpkin soup with fresh carrots, ginger and home grown apples. I topped it with homemade croutons and crispy roasted pancetta. The dog even loved it.

It was served in real ceramic bowls.

now that sounds like a dinner i'd rather do!

mine last night wasn't particularly healthy. fried catfish with "homemade tartar sauce" and fries. :P but it was yummy and probably far tastier than anything the duggars could muster.

@Snarkle, thank you. We are hanging in there. :)

I had some friends that were fundie-lite, and now that I think about it, they would invite us over and find some kind of religious program for us all to watch together. It wasn't a sales pitch, but the wife would always look over at me with this odd expression like, aren't you moved by this? Are you ready to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? They were the types that thought we needed to be closer to God. We don't see as much of them anymore, mainly because I got tired of them treating me like a project. Also, tater tot casserole must be a fundie thing in general, because they served that to us on several different occasions. :lol:

Archived