IGNORED

Pennington Point daughter escapes/ Has no ID's MERGED

Emmaline

Some of those clothes look like thing my daughter created when I gave her scraps of fabric and a needle. I had no idea there was a market for that.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to decide what my husband's reaction would be if he come home one day to find me wearing any of those outfits. And then finding how much I paid for it.

What is the aversion to shoe laces? They wrapped twine around boots. :? I

For the sake of the models, I'm glad it's not barbed wire. I could see the designer doing something like that for "visual interest". :evil-eye:

To Magnolia Pearl, I say,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There truly is "a sucker born every minute."

Listen: Back in the day, we dressed like that, but it was serendipitous! We mixed and matched what caught our eyes from our own closets or THE THRIFT STORES!

Paying more than $5, $10 for ANY one item on any of those models? The word is "sucker."

PS: I'm weàring the MJB truth to Magnolia Pearl's foolery right now. Pj pants with a cloud-and-moon pattern in blue & yellow, nightshirt in floral blue & rose, fleecy zipper jacket in dark blue with winter-themed appliqué. And pink crocs. Ah if only the jacket had buttons, i could fasten it asymmetrically and sell the ensemble to Mrs. Pennington for $750. I'd provide free S&H.

Oh, and my hair is adorably mussed. All for $5 - the cost of the jacket second-hand last week.

Magnolia Pearl is like Mrs. Pennington in several ways: trying too hard, and never giving a sucker an even break. My brain aches for those who fall for their scammery!

What really amazes me, besides the sheer effrontery of offering this stuff for sale in the first place, is the number of items 'out of stock.' Others besides this Pennington person are buying things from this company! :shock:

"Patches" and "mending" seem to be big selling points. :roll:

And some of those patches are great big tags, with the Magnolia Pearl name and logo, on the outside of the outfit. I have always hated the designer logo thing. Paying a lot of money to be a walking advertisement for the manufacturer seems idiotic, to me. And in this case, it's especially bizarre.

I think the Orkin Man needs to visit Magnolia Pearl -- clearly they have a huge problem with moths and mice in the stockroom.

What really amazes me, besides the sheer effrontery of offering this stuff for sale in the first place, is the number of items 'out of stock.' Others besides this Pennington person are buying things from this company! :shock:

A Google image search of the company name brings up some pictures of people who are clearly proud to have purchased this dreck.

I like vintage, funky fashion, and long, loose-fitting cotton pieces. But this goes way beyond that, to ragged, uncomfortable, unflattering and downright crappy, with insanely inflated prices.

A sucker born every minute, indeed.

Those sharecropper-chic Magnolia Pearl clothes anger me on a really deep level. It's expensive clothing that takes its inspiration from the tattered, patched, oft-mended clothes of the poorest of rural poor.

My grandmother and her siblings were farm kids. In good years, she got two new dresses a year--one for Christmas, one for the Fourth of July. During the Depression, there weren't many good years. She, her mother, and her sisters also made clothing from printed cotton flour sacks. When clothes got torn, or holes wore through the fabric at knees and elbows, they patched and mended them--but they had enough pride to at least do a good job of it so the patches and mending didn't make their clothes look like rags.

None of the women in that family continued to sew or do needlework once they could afford store-bought clothes. Unlike cooking, none of them loved that particular set of skills enough to keep doing them once it was no longer a necessity. But I do remember my grandmother patching and mending a few things of mine when I was a kid, and showing me how to do it so it didn't show, or at least so it looked nice and neat.

The haphazard, in-your-face ugliness of Magnolia Pearl's "patching" and "mending" would have offended her just as much as the prices charged for it, and she would have had some pretty salty things to say about the affluent women (who clearly have never experienced real poverty), who think this shit is cute and buy it.

And then there's the question of where all this pauvreté-couture is being made, and by whom, and under what conditions. All that faux mending and needless patching of brand-new garments is probably not being done for a living wage (if it's even being done here in the US).

The whole "shabby chic" aesthetic makes my eyelid twitch, but Magnolia Pearl is pretty much its nadir. I'm surprised the designer didn't glue layers of old newspapers to the walls of her house to give it that ultimate rock-bottom rural-underclass feel.

We're in a time when the gap between rich and poor is the widest it's ever been in this country--and it's growing ever-wider--and affluent women who feel their lives are too complicated want to play dress-up as picturesque rural poor? Hey! Marie Antoinette had her Petit Trianon for that same purpose--and look how well things worked out for her!

Okay--I try not to go off on rants about the complacent overprivileged and class warfare any more than I have to, but this shit is just--ARGHHH. SO. MUCH. HATE. Not just for the creator, but for the consumers of it as well.

They are for the extremely low-crotched :lol: . Amongst all the ill-fitting quasi Victorian hippie fuckery, those pants in particular stand out in their sheer WTF-ness.

I live in a large city and work in the main business district, and I kid you not I see homeless women dressed like this on a regular basis. Lisa's husband is right on the money with his comment.

Maybe they are not homeless but cutting edge fashionistas.

I looked through all 5 pages, but didn't see any pink sequined pants. (Although to be fair my eyes were bleeding by the second page.) Link please?

He's not on the shop-page, you should look in the gallery.

shop.magnoliapearl.com/mp/gallery/nov_18th_2014/index_mobile.htm

Scroll down to no.2469 and further down.

Enjoy! :ew:

My home town has some extremely affluent areas. I can actually see some of the women in the area wearing some of those clothes. Not the whole get ups but pieces of them. They are the ones that live In the homes with massive acerage and horse barns and staff to manage it all while they "garden" and go shopping "in town" and off to yoga. It is known for "new money" You would not believe how many properties in the area were in foreclosure after 2008.

I just looked at the clothing at site people have been talking about. It looks like everything is from the Derilicte line from Zoolander.

Oddly enough, there seems to exist another company that sells similar hideous clothing at ridiculous prices. http://www.ritanotiara.com

Amazing, until this thread I had no idea there was any demand for high-priced clown suits.

This one calls the style Southern Gothic. Oddly, it's based in the UK. I think it is slightly better because most of the clothing is all white. And does not assalt the eyes with multiple patterns. But I only briefly peeked.

Those sharecropper-chic Magnolia Pearl clothes anger me on a really deep level. It's expensive clothing that takes its inspiration from the tattered, patched, oft-mended clothes of the poorest of rural poor.

My grandmother and her siblings were farm kids. In good years, she got two new dresses a year--one for Christmas, one for the Fourth of July. During the Depression, there weren't many good years. She, her mother, and her sisters also made clothing from printed cotton flour sacks. When clothes got torn, or holes wore through the fabric at knees and elbows, they patched and mended them--but they had enough pride to at least do a good job of it so the patches and mending didn't make their clothes look like rags.

None of the women in that family continued to sew or do needlework once they could afford store-bought clothes. Unlike cooking, none of them loved that particular set of skills enough to keep doing them once it was no longer a necessity. But I do remember my grandmother patching and mending a few things of mine when I was a kid, and showing me how to do it so it didn't show, or at least so it looked nice and neat.

The haphazard, in-your-face ugliness of Magnolia Pearl's "patching" and "mending" would have offended her just as much as the prices charged for it, and she would have had some pretty salty things to say about the affluent women (who clearly have never experienced real poverty), who think this shit is cute and buy it.

And then there's the question of where all this pauvreté-couture is being made, and by whom, and under what conditions. All that faux mending and needless patching of brand-new garments is probably not being done for a living wage (if it's even being done here in the US).

The whole "shabby chic" aesthetic makes my eyelid twitch, but Magnolia Pearl is pretty much its nadir. I'm surprised the designer didn't glue layers of old newspapers to the walls of her house to give it that ultimate rock-bottom rural-underclass feel.

We're in a time when the gap between rich and poor is the widest it's ever been in this country--and it's growing ever-wider--and affluent women who feel their lives are too complicated want to play dress-up as picturesque rural poor? Hey! Marie Antoinette had her Petit Trianon for that same purpose--and look how well things worked out for her!

Okay--I try not to go off on rants about the complacent overprivileged and class warfare any more than I have to, but this shit is just--ARGHHH. SO. MUCH. HATE. Not just for the creator, but for the consumers of it as well.

:agree:

post-10046-14451999918272_thumb.jpg

Dirt colored sweaty looking makeup on purpose. Romanticizing something they most likely never had to live through.

In actual life, that look would be a desperate pioneer who hauled muddy water out of a shallow hand-dug well, unable to spare enough to wet a rag and wash the grit off on a hot day. It's hard to believe that they couldn't spare water to clean the grit off during the day (just at night), but it happened to real settlers. My grandpa was born in 1919 and remembered the dust bowl very clearly. He used to wear the same pair of jeans an entire week working on his farm. They could almost stand up by themselves by the time he'd let my grandma wash a load of work clothes.

The wealthy patrons of this style are going to really get a wake up call sooner or later, for being so oblivious that - to them - suffering is cute.

I just looked at the clothing at site people have been talking about. It looks like everything is from the Derilicte line from Zoolander.

I just looked at the actual MP site, too. Holy cow. And I just noticed - you don't have to choose a size for the things I looked at. I guess they go the One Size Fits All route? It's all reminding me of the Beverly Hillbillies or something. Not sure, my brain is trying to avoid thinking about it.

7N9ZpNQ.jpg

This is AMAZING.

My oldest daughter had a pair of pants almost exactly like that. When she was five. She wouldn't be caught dead wearing them now. :lol: The glitter pants don't really seem to go with the rest of the clothes. There are no patches on them and they fit snuggly.

He's not on the shop-page, you should look in the gallery.

shop.magnoliapearl.com/mp/gallery/nov_18th_2014/index_mobile.htm

Scroll down to no.2469 and further down.

Enjoy! :ew:

One of the female models is wearing a pair of pink sparkly boots.

shop.magnoliapearl.com/mp/gallery/nov_18th_2014/images/F16C8516.jpg

{L_MESSAGE_HIDDEN}:
This is on her latest blog post. Ironic considering what she so recently did to a map that her boys had. "What's important to him is important to me," indeed. She is so full of shit. post-355-14451999918676_thumb.jpg

Archived