IGNORED

Pennington Point daughter escapes/ Has no ID's MERGED

Emmaline

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that she can get proper counselling and is lucky enough to be surrounded by a positive and healthy support network so that she can stay strong through whatever is thrown at her.

I'm Intrigued - just skimmed the blog for the first time & looks pretty mild to me (mother has some mad decorating skillz)...was the family discussed here? May I beg a link to the info about their aberrations? Many TIA!

She certainly paints a picture perfect life for herself on her blog, facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest.... Like she is pretty into herself.

Just from perusing I see her husband graduated recently from Oakbrook, the fake law school, and her son is going to go there. A mention of reading Rushdoony. Some tv allowed. They have five adult kids at home. Girls are skirts only, wholesome wear swimwear, SAHDs. Homeschooled. Believe in spanking. I think Hope is the one who left. Her instagram hasn't been updated in 18 weeks, whereas the others are updating a lot. Her fb is private.

I had never heard of them before.

The mother seems crazy to me. Her daughter leaves home with the help of her parents and she blogs about how essential oils are helping her, turning the whole thing into an opportunity to push her business? Sick. thepenningtonpoint.com/2014/10/get-hard-times/

Also, who has the time, energy (and money) to decorate a house like that? It looks good, but I bet it's impractical and she should have played Legos with her sons or built a relationship with her daughters instead, IMHO.

I've never heard anything about these people, but I'm imagining how it must feel to be the daughter. The parents ask her to come and discuss with them what her issues are, and then they bombard her with Bible verses. I would run so fast.

Let's see. 18-year-old daughter still living at home with several younger sibs. Hmmm, wonder what that is like for her? Not sure where this daughter is in the birth order because Lisa mentions having more than one child grown and a previous poster mentions several grown children.

The mother sounds completely & utterly undone, grief-stricken and destroyed by the daughter's betrayal (defection) from the family and apparently with the assistance of HER parents (an additional betrayal that she will never forgive, apparently).

It has not occurred to Lisa yet that, if there were open lines of communication, the daughter would have just come to her and discussed it and they would have helped guide her on how to transition to and live an independent life. Instead, the daughter & her grandparents had to engineer an escape like, you know, prisoners engineer an escape from a prison or a jail.

There is an interesting post on Lisa's Web site about teens not having a right to privacy. You know, she sounds so reasonable, but when you read a little deeper, there seems to be a strong need to control. When you have that need, and somebody escapes control, it is devastating.

So--I'm guessing that Lisa thinks it is God-given law that the kids stay in the house under parental discipline until they leave to be married? It doesn't sound like the girl is doing drugs/alcohol/running off with a deadbeat 30-year-old ex-con boyfriend -- she just wants to have a life and breathe.

I clicked on Lisa's 10 Training Tips in the side bar. She does not mention spanking child beating in the 10 tips), but when you use terms like

training

discipline

first-time obedience

you know there is a pretty strict regimen while living in that house hold.

Edited to note that I just read the threads referenced by VVV. These are intense people.

Apparently Lisa's parents never drank the Koolaid and were happy to help one daughter escape. Wonder if the other kids are restricted from communicating with their rogue sister?

Faith is the 18-year-old; during Lisa's big series on modesty, she was always the one with the most creative style. There are three other girls (Hope and Grace) who are a few years older and one (Patience) who is a few years younger.

I had never heard of them before.

The mother seems crazy to me. Her daughter leaves home with the help of her parents and she blogs about how essential oils are helping her, turning the whole thing into an opportunity to push her business? Sick. thepenningtonpoint.com/2014/10/get-hard-times/

Also, who has the time, energy (and money) to decorate a house like that? It looks good, but I bet it's impractical and she should have played Legos with her sons or built a relationship with her daughters instead, IMHO.

Wow. That was impressive shilling of oils and refocusing everything back on herself...

Holy Hyperbole Batman :shock: that is a pretty darn dramatic reaction to an 18 year old moving out!

I can understand her being sad or worried or angry or distraught given the sudden circumstances - particularly the involvement of her parents. And I do remember everything feeling extra intense when my kids were that age ( because major decisions can have major consequences) . But still. Presumably her daughter is safe, probably nearby and is just giving a shot at independence. If her mom wasn't making it such a huge deal she'd probably be home within a month, or renting a room somewhere but stopping on for frequent meals and to use the washer.

Ugh - that's exactly what my mom did to my you get sister, when she "ran away" to live with our dad at 15. And then again when our other sister did the same thing at about the same age. She actually had a shrine in her apartment to her poor, dear daughter (whom she'd driven out and who won't speak to her to this day). Everyone who knows her but not us thinks she has the three most selfish, ungrateful daughters who ever existed.

I have WAY too much experience with narcissists.

Decorating skillz don't come *close* to excusing her behavior! Ending her relationship with her own parents over this? So much for "honor thy father and mother" - except, oh wait, of *course*, Pennington's mother is "godless" and therefore no honor is due her. How could I have forgotten?

Faith is free, safe with her sensible grandparents. Nice enough.

I have never heard of this family, but yay, go escaped fundie daughter! The more leave the better, as I feel so sorry for kids raised in this lifestyle.

Oh, and Perry Coghlan III posted on the dads FB "Praying. Been through similar trials"

Yessssssss I was hoping so. Deanna seems too cool to be stuck in such a restrictive and boring life. She reminds me a bit of my 19 year old sister.

I found a family picture from 2013 with 7 of the kids in it and she's the third in age in the photo, with 2 older sisters. So I'm guessing she's 5th in the family and the other 2 are married/out of the house? She might be 6th, I can't really tell.

oh my gosh that house. That would look good in magazines where you know no one is actually living there, but in a real family's house? jeez. Paper tags on storage boxes arranged just so. The whole thing is like a museum curated by the mom. No wonder her daughter wanted out.

be free, little bird! :lol:

Best of luck to the daughter who escaped!

I stumbled onto the post where the mom gets an iPhone, but doesn't want to buy a case for it because of the expense. thepenningtonpoint.com/2014/09/hillbilly-free/

Her solution is to make a case for it using washi tape and an old bubble wrap envelope. I see from her blog that she sews, so I don't understand why she doesn't just dive into her fabric stash and make a cover for it. :shrug:

Best of luck to the daughter who escaped!

I stumbled onto the post where the mom gets an iPhone, but doesn't want to buy a case for it because of the expense. thepenningtonpoint.com/2014/09/hillbilly-free/

Her solution is to make a case for it using washi tape and an old bubble wrap envelope. I see from her blog that she sews, so I don't understand why she doesn't just dive into her fabric stash and make a cover for it. :shrug:

Or just pay ten bucks for a cheap one. They do exist.

Or they could always take the Maxhell route and just pray for one. :roll:

Hmm I guess it is Faith, although she is still friends with her mom (but not her dad) on Facebook (and was on yesterday)

facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007240939451&fref=

Her dad also posted something about honoring your father and mother but apparently Lisa thinks nothing of ENDING her relationship with her parents.

I have never heard of this family, but yay, go escaped fundie daughter! The more leave the better, as I feel so sorry for kids raised in this lifestyle.

Yessssssss I was hoping so. Deanna seems too cool to be stuck in such a restrictive and boring life. She reminds me a bit of my 19 year old sister.

Agree! I wish there was more on how Deanna was doing lately.

Holy Schmoly, these people live in Kerrville, TX, as far as I can tell. Wonder if there is a pocket of Quiverfulls out there? Anybody know?

This is horrifying. I cannot believe the dramatic response to an adult leaving home.

The scary thing is, in a different world, I could see my mom writing that. She threw her whole identity into being a mother and held on to us girls too tightly. She's since gotten better about that, but it took a falling out between me and the family. If my parents had got sucked into fundamentalism, she could have written this post when/if I decided to leave home.

Archived