IGNORED

Pennington Point daughter escapes/ Has no ID's MERGED

Emmaline

Wait. What. You get 38 acres and 3 houses plus spas and outbuildings and a whole bunch of other stuff for $695, 000. :shock: I agree the shabby chic is taken to a level that makes me think of a horror movie. But damn! That is so cheap!

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, that is the ugliest house I've ever seen. It looks filthy, and yes, moldy. The tin ceilings look terrible. Really, who would want to spend a night in that house?

Filthy and moldy are the exact words that came to mind when I saw those pictures. I just have a hard time believing that house is mold free.

Funny you should mention furniture with the paint peeled off, because I found the Magnolia Pearl designer's ranch house and... well... fionaandtwig.blogspot.com/2013/03/magnolia-pearl-ranch-and-giveaway.html

I am somewhat surprised this is near Bandera, TX. The women I know from there are pretty down to earth more likely to be wearing jeans, dirty boots and working with their horses or at their jobs in clean, trim clothing. The town does draw weekenders from San Antonio, so maybe the shop sells to some of that group. I have never shopped any of their little antiquey/boutiquie places, as I am always there for work and usually staying in Boerne or SA.

But that house! It looks like a lunatic artist just went mad and the next step will be Doll heads lined up and religious and political signs hand painted in pink with giant roses added (and thorns.)

I hadn't looked at Lisa's Facebook page until about 10 minutes ago. Mercy. How does she have time to do anything other than post on Facebook or write blog posts? Seriously, she posts more than I do for my job... And it's part of my job. Seriously, she probably spends a majority of her day using photo collage on her essential oil photos and taking pictures of her stupid outfits.

Those children are teaching themselves or the older ones are teaching the younger ones. She's too busy taking pictures of herself and using oils. Oh, and taking her walks. I go to the gym in the mornings and I don't post pictures of my iPod and towel on my personal Facebook page. Will someone please tell her to get a water bottle because that dumb Mason Jar with the lid & straw aren't really meant for use during exercising.

I don't blame her daughter for getting the hell out of La-La-Lisa Land. Hopefully the others can get out too. Because that is not a good environment to grow up in.

Dress like an 18th Century French hobo for just $300 per piece! I can hand sew some crap out of old bed sheets and mail it to you for much less than $300 dollars, if anyone's interested.

what the actual fuck. It looks like they raided a poor farmers closet from the dust bowl era and added some hippy pieces and is charging an arm and a leg.

the house.... I can’t believe its habitable. it looks abandoned and nasty. :pink-shock:

Edit to add the house

It looks like it smells bad in there. I realized I was wrinkling my nose as I scrolled down like there was a bad smell.

patchouli I beat it smells like moth balls and patchouli, why is the pictures so close? I feel I need to step back from my computer to see better.

I admit it. I like the airstream. They went way too far with the rust and the flaking paint. And the purposefully old look. But I really, really like the rest of it. And carpeted walls would make it cozy.

Of course I may or may not have had hippie parents AND like super flowery/ girly/ Victorian stuff -- so it's a wonderful combo to me. . :shifty-kitty:

I love tin ceilings, but they're supposed to be shiny silver or solidly painted, not half rust. I would be scared to sleep in those bedrooms! It looks like it hasn't been touched in a hundred years. I know it's not, but my mind says it must be full of lead paint too.

i think that's what this thing is... celebrating decay.

Lisa and ladies who buy these clothes seem like women who, 30 years ago, would have been hanging out in antique stores oh'ing and ah'ing over antique lace that had slightly yellowed and their fascination with stuff like that took it to a really weird extreme. I guess they love victorian fashion but can't really dress like that unless it's got an edge somehow (not that baggy and soiled makes it okay).

i've actually dreamed about touring a museum like this of tons of antiques - the really fragile things like old rose petals and just bits of things that normally wouldn't make it a week but were hundreds of years old. I think it came from looking at those preserved rooms in France - the room of the soldier and the Paris condo that were untouched for almost 100 years and 70 years. The dream was a nightmare. I can't believe people live surrounded by decay, even fake, like this intentionally.

OMG, that is the ugliest house I've ever seen. It looks filthy, and yes, moldy. The tin ceilings look terrible. Really, who would want to spend a night in that house?

I know right? No wandering around in there after dark. :shiver:

post-10046-14451999874016_thumb.jpg

post-10046-1445199987432_thumb.jpg

post-10046-14451999874599_thumb.jpg

post-10046-14451999874943_thumb.jpg

Even the fridge is at a tilt like it's on a rotting floor.

Some seriously messed up decay fetish going on.

If a friend gave me something of hers because I had complimented it on her, I would die of embarrassment. That would make me feel like I had overdone the compliments until she felt obligated to give it to me. So mortifying.

I am pretty sure that's how most normal people in the dominant US culture would react in that scenario. In some cultures it is normal to give someone the object of their compliments (and in those cultures, I think people are very careful how they phrase a compliment) but in ours it is not normally done. I wonder just how fulsomely Lisa praised that jacket on her friend, and if her friend picked up on the undertone of "I want that." :evil-eye:

Lisa does seem like someone who would get really creepy and obsessive about an object that she liked. Kind of humorous that the jacket came without a note, as if the lady who'd owned it before was too disturbed to be chatty. Just TAKE IT.

The ranch is located near Bandera, TX, (west of San Antonio) and only 30 miles from Kerrville, where Lisa lives. I suspect this property is meant to be bought as some type of B & B. I like this motif but in much smaller doses -- way smaller doses. It is as though the artist started and JUST COULDN"T STOP! Just way too much of a good thing for my taste, although I think the owners are certainly creative and talented.

The car pulling the airstream looks like an old Rolls converted to 4WD, which is kinda cool.

If I had a nickel for every time I've splattered something on the wall while cooking, I'd be a wealthy woman. If the people who owned that ranch actually cooked in that kitchen, imagine what that carpeted wall looks and smells like up close? :disgust:

So no dirt, mold, or water damage involved, huh? Hmm. Assuming that's true (debatable) I wouldn't have the first idea how to keep the place clean. How can you, when you can't tell what's dirt and what's "aged to perfection"?

On another note, I love the cutout rug flower motif on the kitchen wall. I wouldn't do it in a kitchen, but it is a pretty cool idea.

If a friend gave me something of hers because I had complimented it on her, I would die of embarrassment. That would make me feel like I had overdone the compliments until she felt obligated to give it to me. So mortifying.

I am pretty sure that's how most normal people in the dominant US culture would react in that scenario. In some cultures it is normal to give someone the object of their compliments (and in those cultures, I think people are very careful how they phrase a compliment) but in ours it is not normally done. I wonder just how fulsomely Lisa praised that jacket on her friend, and if her friend picked up on the undertone of "I want that." :evil-eye:

I didn't know that was a thing in other cultures. Do you know any specific ones, to avoid future embarrassments? :D

So no dirt, mold, or water damage involved, huh? Hmm. Assuming that's true (debatable) I wouldn't have the first idea how to keep the place clean. How can you, when you can't tell what's dirt and what's "aged to perfection"?

On another note, I love the cutout rug flower motif on the kitchen wall. I wouldn't do it in a kitchen, but it is a pretty cool idea.

I agree, many of the designs are really nice. There is just a thousand times too much of it. If they had some of those details mixed in with a design overall that actually looks non-damaged - it could be gorgeous.

I actually like the airstream. Not the purposefully rusty/ peeling/beat up parts. But if they kept the general decor and substituted fresh paint on wood and metal for intentially ragged and damaged, I would love it.

On the post about gifts -- I , personally, wouldn't be embarrassed if someone gave me something I'd complimented them on - I'd give a token " oh, no, are you sure?" , but I would just assume it was something they didn't particularly care for anymore and wanted to give to someone who would appreciate it.

But I'm always finding out on here that my social experience is apparently not the norm. :D

I didn't know that was a thing in other cultures. Do you know any specific ones, to avoid future embarrassments? :

I think the Middle East/possibly also India/Pakistan. I do know that when I admired something my friend had when we were in college (her family is from Pakistan, they immigrated when she was 4), she gave it to me. So awkward! :embarrassed: I also was told this by a colleague in study abroad, who was Saudi.

I keep imagining the Magnolia Pearl house with the furniture and stylings of Lady Lydia's friend...now that, I would probably pay to see. :pink-shock:

The ranch is located near Bandera, TX, (west of San Antonio) and only 30 miles from Kerrville, where Lisa lives. I suspect this property is meant to be bought as some type of B & B. I like this motif but in much smaller doses -- way smaller doses. It is as though the artist started and JUST COULDN"T STOP! Just way too much of a good thing for my taste, although I think the owners are certainly creative and talented.

The car pulling the airstream looks like an old Rolls converted to 4WD, which is kinda cool.

I love me some shabby chic in small doses. A dresser here, wall art there, a hand made quilt as a throw. but this? this needs taken down about 80 notches.

I agree, many of the designs are really nice. There is just a thousand times too much of it. If they had some of those details mixed in with a design overall that actually looks non-damaged - it could be gorgeous.

I actually like the airstream. Not the purposefully rusty/ peeling/beat up parts. But if they kept the general decor and substituted fresh paint on wood and metal for intentially ragged and damaged, I would love it.

On the post about gifts -- I , personally, wouldn't be embarrassed if someone gave me something I'd complimented them on - I'd give a token " oh, no, are you sure?" , but I would just assume it was something they didn't particularly care for anymore and wanted to give to someone who would appreciate it.

But I'm always finding out on here that my social experience is apparently not the norm. :D

Its ok MamaMia, I am the same way :-)

Patchouli reminds me of the frat boys and theatre majors who smoked pot.... Sorry, that's what I associate it with to this day. Maybe that's why Lisa likes her essential oils... It masks the smell of Mary Jane?

I'm told that some Native American tribes have a "receive a compliment, give the item to the complimenter" tradition, but I've only observed the behavior from a nice Caucasian lady whose turquoise necklace I'd admired.

If I had a nickel for every time I've splattered something on the wall while cooking, I'd be a wealthy woman. If the people who owned that ranch actually cooked in that kitchen, imagine what that carpeted wall looks and smells like up close? :disgust:

Years ago, one of those home improvement shows or other had a contest to find America's Worst Kitchen; the prize was a complete reno.

The winner not only had carpet on the floor, but velvet upholstery fabric glued to the inset panels on all the cabinets. It looked like it had all been done ca. 1972 (along with cheap brown fake-wood panelling and a dropped acoustic ceiling that was all yellowy-brown). It was just the grossest thing imaginable. The owners were a young couple who had just bought the place, and I don't know how they tolerated living with it until they took part in the contest. I would have lived with painted/varnished subfloor if I had to, and definitely stripped all that ghastly, filthy fabric off the cabinets the second escrow closed. It was beyond disgusting.

The carpet on the kitchen wall reminds me of that show, and the winning kitchen. The whole goddamned house reminds me of that show.

And the thing is, I can understand creating this kind of extreme fantasy environment for yourself (after all, I've done it). It's your own house, and you're totally free to decorate as you see fit, and you should be able to decorate it in a way that pleases you, even if it grosses everyone else out or leaves them shaking their heads.

But when it's time to sell? The leftovers of your personal, highly idiosyncratic fantasy environment are not an asset. Most buyers can't see beyond your quirky "vision" to see how their stuff is going to fit in the actual house. Hell, most of the time they can't even get a good sense of what the actual house is like because they're so overwhelmed by all the weird decor. So that's why you go vanilla, or at the very least take away the most bizarre elements (carpet on the kitchen wall; gross, lumpy, rose-studded pedestal sink), and throw some off-white paint on the walls. The beat-up tin ceiling might be an interesting feature if the walls and woodwork were plain white, and looked clean and in good repair. The rusted outsides of the clawfoot tubs are kind of cool IMO, but would be much less off-putting if the whole bathroom didn't look like a case of tetanus waiting to happen.

Leaving up all your weird decor and expecting the next owners to fall in love and buy the house because it's just so awesome and unique and of course people will love it and keep it just as it is? That's what I'd expect from someone who was a self-absorbed narcissist, frankly. But from the comment section, there are plenty of groupies who would love to have their favorite Dispossessed Chic style icon's castoffs, proving that there is just no accounting for taste...

The winner not only had carpet on the floor, but velvet upholstery fabric glued to the inset panels on all the cabinets. It looked like it had all been done ca. 1972 (along with cheap brown fake-wood panelling and a dropped acoustic ceiling that was all yellowy-brown). It was just the grossest thing imaginable. The owners were a young couple who had just bought the place, and I don't know how they tolerated living with it until they took part in the contest. I would have lived with painted/varnished subfloor if I had to, and definitely stripped all that ghastly, filthy fabric off the cabinets the second escrow closed. It was beyond disgusting.

:ew:

But when it's time to sell? The leftovers of your personal, highly idiosyncratic fantasy environment are not an asset. Most buyers can't see beyond your quirky "vision" to see how their stuff is going to fit in the actual house. Hell, most of the time they can't even get a good sense of what the actual house is like because they're so overwhelmed by all the weird decor. So that's why you go vanilla, or at the very least take away the most bizarre elements (carpet on the kitchen wall; gross, lumpy, rose-studded pedestal sink), and throw some off-white paint on the walls. The beat-up tin ceiling might be an interesting feature if the walls and woodwork were plain white, and looked clean and in good repair. The rusted outsides of the clawfoot tubs are kind of cool IMO, but would be much less off-putting if the whole bathroom didn't look like a case of tetanus waiting to happen.

I had heard this wise advice all my life and was stunned when we started house hunting to see how many people ignore it. Granted, we were in a really hot seller's market, but I lost count of how many times we saw a house or an online listing where the residents loved BOLD color choices or couldn't be bothered to even clean up before taking pictures or having a showing. :shock:

I've still got one room left to paint in our house. It's this yellowish-brownish-greenish color. It looks like baby poop, but I found it easier to live with temporarily than some of the sellers' other paint choices. :lol:

I've seen the same thing done with cutouts of floral wallpaper. Pretty AND sanitary!

Archived