IGNORED

Jill Duggar Pregnant! Part 2~ The First Trimester Edition

keen23

From the People article:

Exactly what about this registry is practical? It's ridiculous. And seriously, Jill can't even wear pants because she has a vagina, and now she wants us to think she cares about "gender neutral" stuff? They're going to find out the sex of the baby as soon as they can, so by the time it's born it won't matter if the stuff is gender neutral or not.

Since Jill brought up her mother's experiences, I think back to Johannah as a baby...she was never in a gender neutral piece of clothing, even as a tiny infant. It was always a giant explosion of pink ruffles. Even a few years later when they were shopping for new items for then-fetus Jordyn...it was pink polka-dot everything. Gender roles are Serious Bizness for these people, just wait until you find out what you're having and then make a registry. Easy solution.

Sleep training? Really? That's concerning :|

Gasp...TEASER!! I'm also confused about how a car seat straps to a suitcase, but then again I generally keep my distance from baby stuff :?

To the bold- I have seen this in airports: http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Gold-Stroll ... t+n+stroll

but since she said straps I bet she bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler ... B000JHN3AS

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the People article:

Exactly what about this registry is practical? It's ridiculous. And seriously, Jill can't even wear pants because she has a vagina, and now she wants us to think she cares about "gender neutral" stuff? They're going to find out the sex of the baby as soon as they can, so by the time it's born it won't matter if the stuff is gender neutral or not.

Since Jill brought up her mother's experiences, I think back to Johannah as a baby...she was never in a gender neutral piece of clothing, even as a tiny infant. It was always a giant explosion of pink ruffles. Even a few years later when they were shopping for new items for then-fetus Jordyn...it was pink polka-dot everything. Gender roles are Serious Bizness for these people, just wait until you find out what you're having and then make a registry. Easy solution.

Sleep training? Really? That's concerning :|

Gasp...TEASER!! I'm also confused about how a car seat straps to a suitcase, but then again I generally keep my distance from baby stuff :?

The sleep training stuff is concerning, but sometimes once you are in the game, you change your mind. At least they are talking about stuff I guess.

As for the gender neutral..she may be referring to bigger items (not clothes). I did this, for the crib sheets, decor, bouncer, swing, etc. Worked out well, since I had a girl, then a boy, I didn't have to buy the big stuff again.

Okay, I admit that it's a relief to see that the term "sleep training" doesn't only bother me. :ew: How do you "sleep train" a newborn baby, you soon to be mother of the year, you?!

Okay, I admit that it's a relief to see that the term "sleep training" doesn't only bother me. :ew: How do you "sleep train" a newborn baby, you soon to be mother of the year, you?!

MOST of the time sleep training is only recommended after 6 months (for me....any of it is after a year, minimum, but I still don't like it much). I don't know if that is what they are referring to or not....doing it too early is not ok, they baby is crying because it has needs that need to be met, not because they are manipulating you or need to "learn"

MOST of the time sleep training is only recommended after 6 months (for me....any of it is after a year, minimum, but I still don't like it much). I don't know if that is what they are referring to or not....doing it too early is not ok, they baby is crying because it has needs that need to be met, not because they are manipulating you or need to "learn"

I kinda get it. Ok. So apparently, making a baby get used to sleep in their own room is what they call sleep training. Interesting how this kid hasn't made it till the end of the first trimester, and it's parents can't wait for it to sleep by itself in a different room. And that is pretty much they can talk about. Very telling. Also, anyone suggesting that a few month old baby is capable of manipulating the parents is just... :shock:

I kinda get it. Ok. So apparently, making a baby get used to sleep in their own room is what they call sleep training. Interesting how this kid hasn't made it till the end of the first trimester, and it's parents can't wait for it to sleep by itself in a different room. And that is pretty much they can talk about. Very telling. Also, anyone suggesting that a few month old baby is capable of manipulating the parents is just... :shock:

well when you have raised upteen kids already you want them out as soon as possible

Those aren't basic health guidelines. Women who have never been sexually active do not need pap smears or gynecological exams unless something is wrong. I'd be willing to bet none of them have had one, because even for none fundies in their situation (not sexually active) there would be no point.

The CDC and every US gyno/cancer organization recommends a pap at 21. So yes, there is a "point." But hey, maybe they just use midwives in Arkansas to check for precancerous cells, I have no idea.

well when you have raised upteen kids already you want them out as soon as possible

See? This is why we will have a rational amount of children. So that we can cater to their needs in every aspect possible.

What is sleep training?

There are a number of variants of sleep training. In the most extreme, Dr Weissbluth (IIRC) advises that parents just put the baby in the crib and let it scream until it falls asleep exhausted. Dr Ferber is not so extreme and has moderated his stance a little in the past few years. He recommends that the parents put the baby to bed, and if the baby doesn't soon quiet down and go to sleep, say within 5 minutes, go in to the baby without turning on the lights and just let the baby know you're there. You do that for a few minutes, then extend the time you let the baby fuss or cry to 10 minutes. Then to 15 minutes and so on. Basically the baby just gives up after a while.

Many of us feel that babies wake at night for a reason -hunger, loneliness, wet diaper, etc- and their needs should be attended to. They're really not trying to manipulate their parents. How you attend to the baby's nighttime needs is a matter for debate with some parents practicing co-sleeping, in its various permutations, and some not. There are safe ways to co-sleep and bedshare which I'll not get into here, but Kathy Kendall-Tackett and Dr James McKenna have done a lot of research in this area.

The CDC and every US gyno/cancer organization recommends a pap at 21. So yes, there is a "point." But hey, maybe they just use midwives in Arkansas to check for precancerous cells, I have no idea.

I saw a midwife right up until my cancer diagnosis. My midwife was able to do pap smears, but was not permitted to colpopscopies.

See? This is why we will have a rational amount of children. So that we can cater to their needs in every aspect possible.

Ok, which of us has posted in People article discussion? One poster actually said Jim Boob. I've liked a few comments, but not posted.

or you make helpers so you can.

Many of us feel that babies wake at night for a reason -hunger, loneliness, wet diaper, etc- and their needs should be attended to. They're really not trying to manipulate their parents. How you attend to the baby's nighttime needs is a matter for debate with some parents practicing co-sleeping, in its various permutations, and some not. There are safe ways to co-sleep and bedshare which I'll not get into here, but Kathy Kendall-Tackett and Dr James McKenna have done a lot of research in this area.

I've only had one baby, so my experience is admittedly very limited. But I did not try to train my baby to sleep at certain times. I just went with allowing him to settle into a schedule in due time, which is exactly what happened. It's exhausting being the parent of a newborn, but my son didn't wake up crying for no reason at night. He was hungry. So he woke crying, I woke up, got him out of the crib, checked his diaper and changed it if necessary, then I fed him, burped him, rocked him back to sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat.

As the weeks went on, the time between wakings lengthened. I still remember how thrilled I was when he finally slept for four hours at a time.

All I know was if my baby was crying, I picked him up and soothed him. I don't even want to start a discussion on letting babies "cry it out." I guess some people can do that. I never could.

Sleep training in infants is a real Marmite topic.

All advice is to avoid any form of training until at LEAST 6 months and there are ways to do it without resorting to the CIO method (very controversial because of studies into raised cortisol levels) such as the No Cry Sleep Solution.

Personally however I'm one of those 'crunchy, weave your own yogurt types', we co-slept, breastfed, used slings etc so sleep training has never been our way but if you have a child under 1 with another on the way (a la Duggerville) I guess I can understand why some would want to try to get them through the night

this is so silly why does Derick need caffeine to help stay up? he sure as hell is not getting up with junior at night.

http://www.eonline.com/news/580455/jill ... na-eonline

Celeb Families_Pregnancies Category Header graphics only

News/

Jill Duggar Defends "Practical" Baby Registry, Shares Pic From 13th Week of Pregnancy

by Rebecca Macatee Today 8:05 AM PDT

Jill Duggar is a first-time mommy-to-be, yes, but with 15 younger siblings, she has to know a thing or two about babies.

So why did the 19 Kids and Counting star and hubby Derick Dillard list some non-infant friendly items on "Baby Dilly's" registry at Walmart? Because, the pregnant TLC star told People, she and Derick wanted to be "practical" with their requests!

"Derick said we should put Dr. Pepper on there, because if you have late nights, you have to have caffeine," said Jill with a laugh. "And I told him, 'I like Fanta,' so he put that on there and some Gatorade, as well."

this is so silly why does Derick need caffeine to help stay up? he sure as hell is not getting up with junior at night.

http://www.eonline.com/news/580455/jill ... na-eonline

Celeb Families_Pregnancies Category Header graphics only

News/

Jill Duggar Defends "Practical" Baby Registry, Shares Pic From 13th Week of Pregnancy

by Rebecca Macatee Today 8:05 AM PDT

Jill Duggar is a first-time mommy-to-be, yes, but with 15 younger siblings, she has to know a thing or two about babies.

So why did the 19 Kids and Counting star and hubby Derick Dillard list some non-infant friendly items on "Baby Dilly's" registry at Walmart? Because, the pregnant TLC star told People, she and Derick wanted to be "practical" with their requests!

"Derick said we should put Dr. Pepper on there, because if you have late nights, you have to have caffeine," said Jill with a laugh. "And I told him, 'I like Fanta,' so he put that on there and some Gatorade, as well."

Well Jill just defeats the purpose because Fanta has no caffeine so what's her excuse now.

Well Jill just defeats the purpose because Fanta has no caffeine so what's her excuse now.

THey were just having fun joking around about it, but still silly to actually do it...

I think it is weird that she referred to them creating their registry as a date....wtf?

FTR, the gatorade can actually help with milk supply....so that can be legit.

[Hey were just having fun joking around about it, but still silly to actually do it...

I think it is weird that she referred to them creating their registry as a date....wtf?

FTR, the gatorade can actually help with milk supply....so that can be legit.

their first unchaperoned date how cute.

I really want one of Derick's college acquaintances (not a good friend, but like a "facebook friend" type friend) to find FJ. I want the scoop on what everyone from his college cohort thinks of him marrying into Fundie Royalty and registering for "baby gifts" in the first trimester.

I'm also scared that the baby isn't due for another six months and she's already going on about sleep training. I mean that should one year minimum away why even mention it? They could have just said they plan to start the baby off in their room then move them to another room when they're ready? I would also think parenting expert Jill with the 15 younger siblings would realize that all babies are unique and you really can't expect plans made while they are in utero to work. We ended up co-sleeping with our son, which was something we hadn't planned to do at all but the only way he would sleep.

I really want one of Derick's college acquaintances (not a good friend, but like a "facebook friend" type friend) to find FJ. I want the scoop on what everyone from his college cohort thinks of him marrying into Fundie Royalty and registering for "baby gifts" in the first trimester.

That, mm, he's acting like or is becoming an utter douche? Or that they have never realized what a douchebag he was before? Money and power doesn't change people, it allows them to be who they really are. - Grampa Simpson I guess---

Archived