IGNORED

Jill Duggar Pregnant! Part 2~ The First Trimester Edition

keen23

MamaMia,

Sorry if you thought my post bitchy, but you defend the Duggars too damn much. We're here to snark on the Duggars and not defend them, aren't we?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorta OT...did JChelle have a registry up for any of the younger ones?

Not a public one that Free Jinger found.

As far as the needing items of a variety of price ranges that's really not hard with babies. Blankets, bottles, pacifiers, bibs, burp cloths, socks, lotion, soap, diaper rash cream and board books are all relatively cheap items that will cost under $10. Some will even cost under $5. There is no reason that one needs to register for Gatorade or soda in order to have lower priced items on the registry. And that's not including clothing, which comes in all sorts of price ranges.

The Duggar-Dillards do not need my gifts or money.  Even without the show income, Michelle has been shown to have a storage shed full of extra child things.   Yes, they sold a bunch, but I bet they had a bunch left.   Even without that, Derick has a decent full time job (let's hope his Mom convinces him to keep it, and not jump on the Duggar bandwagon).  He gets a discount at Walmart and they can buy the extra they need, or have actual friend-given showers.  Why do complete strangers feel the need to spend their money on these two who they don't know. I will never buy gifts for strangers unless they're in need and really need it.

Interesting thought that, Toothfairy.

The shed was huge and was packed full of children's toys and clothes. Even if Michelle wants to keep some things at TTH for when the grandchildren visit, there still must be more than enough to pass some of it to Jill (... and Jessa and Jinger and Jana and ... there really was a lot of stuff in that shed!) I remember Michelle sorting baby clothes and deciding what to keep and what to sell. There were some really nice baby clothes in her collection.

I think Jill is just behaving like a child with Christmas money or a teen with their first pay cheque. She is so excited at being able to buy things she isn't thinking about needs vs wants. Both wedding and baby registries are a case of "Oooo I want one if these and one of these and one of these" rather than "I will need ... to start with and I will build on that as I find out what my needs are." My big hope is that, after being flooded with things she doesn't actually need, maybe she will regift things to friends. "I don't actually need 50 outfits in newborn size so maybe I can give 10 to Erin Bates."

This is so greedy and just gross. This would have been a great chance to suggest leghumpers donate to some charity, even a sketchy one that sits outside abortion clinics or something. Lots of people do this for showers and weddings and stuff because they actually care about charities and want to help others. But no, that's not how Duggars roll. Me me me.

I honestly think part of it might be a schill for Walmart baby products - they're not a stupid company when it comes to getting free press. But seriously, that family already has so much STUFF. And what about those Mom2Mom and consignment sales?

We're planning Baby 1 soon and I really hope all this stuff isn't necessary for just one baby . . . especially when you come from a huge ass family and have tons already...

We're planning Baby 1 soon and I really hope all this stuff isn't necessary for just one baby . . . especially when you come from a huge ass family and have tons already...

The cell phone for the baby is an absolute necessity.

It's pretty telling that we're all sick of Jill being pregnant long before she is. It might be more financially prudent for them to dial back the grifting and the attention-seeking in order to generate more interest for longterm.

Wouldn't that be hilarious if they were actually poe'ing? I mean, the looks on their faces is so manic sometimes...

Jill: "Let's freak them out so they leave us alone! PRIVACY!"

Derick: "Okay!"

But really they aren't. Amazing that they can be so clueless to how they appear to others. I wonder if they only read the supportive comments people make. Some TLC person might have the hilarious job of sifting through the comments and emailing them only the cheery ones. There are some pretty rabid leghumpers out there; the grannies and Kirk Cameron fan-girls (looking at you, my fundie facebook pals that click like on every tiny thing they do).

I think Dill's gift grab is unclassy, but her early pregnancy announcement may have been considerate. She'll be showing at

Jessa's wedding and there will be pictures. If she didn't announce early, then more attention at the wedding would be on Jill and less on the bride. Now by the time Jessa gets married, the pregnancy will be old news.

That's a good point, I never thought about it that way. I have a hard time believing this was done to actually help keep attention on Jessa at Jessa's wedding, but it may have been part of it. I agree that the registry thing is out-of-control-early.

Almost none of that crap is necessary. When I had my daughter, I had a stack of cloth diapers (the folding kind with pins), some receiving blankets (hand me down) a convertible car seat I got for free from the highway patrol, and hand me down clothes from my friend's son. I made bibs out of old clothes, same with burp cloths, breast pads, baby wipes, and washcloths. A worn out t shirt cut up works great. I wore her in a homemade sling. I made a co sleeper out of an old sheet and pillows so she could sleep safely in my bed. I breastfed, so we didn't need bottles. At 6 months, she ate what I ate, mashed up, so no baby food.

All that stuff is great, don't get me wrong. I would've killed for some of that swag. A lot of it makes your life easier, especially if you work outside the home. But plenty of women live without it, and their babies turn out just fine.

I bought a ton of stuff for my first kid and didn't need a lot of it. What I really used were diapers (cloth) and washcloths, onesies and pjs, a baby soap/shampoo, a sling/mei tei, and a swing. I did love the swing for naps at home. I liked the stroller when they were old enough to sit up. I liked to travel light. I only breastfed and that helped. Kids slept with me, didn't ever use the crib or changing table. I do recommend a rocking chair or a recliner.

I was just thinking about how I ditched the bath and took baths with the baby until they graduated to the kitchen sink. Such nostalgic memories!!

Ah, but you can pop the car seat into the stroller frame without waking the baby up. Sometimes you don't want to carry the baby for whatever reason. Also can bring the car seat into the house and the baby stays asleep, unlike picking them up and trying to put them down in a crib or wherever... (I had very light sleepers).

I just want to point out, because most people are unaware, that babies are not supposed to be left in car seats for more than an hour at time without being taken out and held or laid in a better position, especially very young babies. While car seats do save lives and are vital in the car, they should not be used outside of the car except very minimally (like carrying them to and from the car). The positioning in car seats is less than optimal and many babies have issues with oxygenation. http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/ ... borns.aspx (American Academy of Pediatrics) There have been several reported cases of babies left to sleep in car seats who died from the lowered oxygen levels.

I left my eldest in the bucket to sleep if we brought him inside and he hadn't woken, but since I learned about this info, I haven't done it with later kids.

I honestly think part of it might be a schill for Walmart baby products - they're not a stupid company when it comes to getting free press. But seriously, that family already has so much STUFF. And what about those Mom2Mom and consignment sales?

You really, really don't need a lot of stuff. After 4 kids (13, 9, 5 & 2), my must haves are diapers, clothes (at least 3 changes a day for however many days you have between doing laundry). Newborn poop can not be contained by diapers on a frequent basis (disposables, anyway, cloth are much better for that), burp cloths (get a bunch of the receiving blankets, double duty), a car seat, a *good* baby carrier (I like woven wraps for newborns and my homemade Mei Tais or my Boba for 3+ months), someplace safe for the baby to sleep/be put down if needed, some way to feed the baby and that's about all you really *need*.

Other than that, it's all personal preference, imo. We never had much money, so we really didn't buy much. I got some change mats for my "diaper bag" (regular backpack, given to me) and since we didn't have a change table, I also used them to change my babies on the floor/couch/bed without risking a mess. We were also given a bouncy seat with my eldest. None of my kids liked it, it's over 13 yrs old and looks brand new. I broke down and asked for a stroller after a couple months, but we had no car, so we'd load it down with groceries. That's 13 yrs old too and falling apart badly now, it's been used a lot for groceries over the years. :lol:

September 14th:

Having fun creating our baby registry! Looking forward to "Baby Dilly's" arrival in just 6 months! #babydilly #babyregistry #derickdillard #jillmdillard

Wedding was June 21st, right? Pregnant two weeks later. Just doing the mental math. Something's not exactly adding up.

September 14th:

Wedding was June 21st, right? Pregnant two weeks later. Just doing the mental math. Something's not exactly adding up.

In the picnic episode she did act a little bit preggo :lol: (well, okay, anyone would be careful on rocks, but still...) :whistle:

September 14th:

she's due March 24th if you go to a due date Calculator and put July 1st as the conception date. March 24th comes up as the due dates. So everything is above board. ( I just got lucky and July first was the first date I plugged in and it came out the right due date) :lol:

September 14th:

Jill's due date's in March, right? The end of March is 6.5 months from mid-September. She's on week 11 or 12 (meaning she's been pregnant for 9 or 10 weeks; looking at the calendar I'm going with 10, as that puts her conception sometime in the third week of her marriage). That means she's around three months in, with six months to go. What's not adding up?

She said she got pregnant a little over two weeks after her wedding, and that her due date is March 24th, and that she's got about six months to go, all of which adds up perfectly. Unless she gives birth in four months to a nine pound baby, I think in this instance simple arithmetic discounts the possibility of a sinister Duggar deception.

My issue with the registry, if it were for a normal family, is that you don't know what your kid will need til you meet them! I had horrifically refluxy babies, bibs were useless as the nonstop vomit shot right over them. Regular size burp cloths were pointless too. We needed pack upon pack of Gerber flannel receiving blankets for feeding time. So there was a bunch of stuff we never even used (so many little burp cloths... pristine condition, lol).

But with Jill, chances are she'll have so many damn kids that she'll get one of each kind... a refluxy one, a non-spitty one, one that has tons of blow outs, etc. Presumably she's registering for stuff not just for this kid but the first few. Though, I bet she'll register for all new stuff when she's pregnant with number 2.

I just want to point out, because most people are unaware, that babies are not supposed to be left in car seats for more than an hour at time without being taken out and held or laid in a better position, especially very young babies. While car seats do save lives and are vital in the car, they should not be used outside of the car except very minimally (like carrying them to and from the car). The positioning in car seats is less than optimal and many babies have issues with oxygenation. http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/ ... borns.aspx (American Academy of Pediatrics) There have been several reported cases of babies left to sleep in car seats who died from the lowered oxygen levels.

I left my eldest in the bucket to sleep if we brought him inside and he hadn't woken, but since I learned about this info, I haven't done it with later kids.

You really, really don't need a lot of stuff. After 4 kids (13, 9, 5 & 2), my must haves are diapers, clothes (at least 3 changes a day for however many days you have between doing laundry). Newborn poop can not be contained by diapers on a frequent basis (disposables, anyway, cloth are much better for that), burp cloths (get a bunch of the receiving blankets, double duty), a car seat, a *good* baby carrier (I like woven wraps for newborns and my homemade Mei Tais or my Boba for 3+ months), someplace safe for the baby to sleep/be put down if needed, some way to feed the baby and that's about all you really *need*.

Other than that, it's all personal preference, imo. We never had much money, so we really didn't buy much. I got some change mats for my "diaper bag" (regular backpack, given to me) and since we didn't have a change table, I also used them to change my babies on the floor/couch/bed without risking a mess. We were also given a bouncy seat with my eldest. None of my kids liked it, it's over 13 yrs old and looks brand new. I broke down and asked for a stroller after a couple months, but we had no car, so we'd load it down with groceries. That's 13 yrs old too and falling apart badly now, it's been used a lot for groceries over the years. :lol:

Then if you have multiples EVERYTHING changes! lol We had two awesome Bjorns, I used them twice. Totally useless for me. But my boys LOVED their bouncy seats and they were invaluable to me, feed one baby, bounce the other with my foot, then switch. Infant bucket seats were a must as I had preemies and they needed those under 5 pound seats to come home. Plus they attached to the double stroller and it allowed me to get out of the house with them. But two things I see every single one of my friends get for their newborns, swing and Rock N Play, we never had or needed.

Personally I think it's best to register for the things you KNOW you'll need, a crib, diapers, that kind of thing... then see what they need after they get here.

I keep reading that, but I'd love to see the source. I've only ever heard Michelle say that she had no problems nursing (so blessed, praise god etc) and that she nursed til she got pregnant again and the babies self weened (which has been my experience too). I just don't see her persevering with nursing 18 times (Josie couldn't take breast milk) with inverted nipples, especially as formula feeding would bring the next blessing faster.

I haven't read the whole thread yet so apologies if someone beat me to this. She spoke about her inverted nipples in their first book, 20 And Counting:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=GWSeYWS ... es&f=false

Her bf woes start on page 84. Direct quote: "The problem was that I had inverted and very sensitive nipples that cracked and bled." She use to use the numbing gel from the boys circ's on her nipples 5 min before breastfeeding, then wipe it off and feed the baby :?

I bought a ton of stuff for my first kid and didn't need a lot of it. What I really used were diapers (cloth) and washcloths, onesies and pjs, a baby soap/shampoo, a sling/mei tei, and a swing. I did love the swing for naps at home. I liked the stroller when they were old enough to sit up. I liked to travel light. I only breastfed and that helped. Kids slept with me, didn't ever use the crib or changing table. I do recommend a rocking chair or a recliner.

I was just thinking about how I ditched the bath and took baths with the baby until they graduated to the kitchen sink. Such nostalgic memories!!

YES to the rocking chair/recliner!!! I may not be able to have babies, but I have had to rock many of them to sleep, and there is nothing better than the squeak from a glider to put a baby mimis.

Archived