IGNORED

Maxwells on (what some might call) a VACATION!

WonderingInWA

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that stuff is pricey! $25 for John's t-shirt and $20 for the hat when the girls get crap. As usual. We have some Underarmor stuff for hockey and I found almost all of it at Goodwill(of course)

They make pretty high quality athletic apparel. On another note, don't John and Joseph look much better in their workout gear than they do in their tucked in shirts and jeans? I think they do!

I'm in the "non-competitive" camp. I don't think Steve would even allow kayaking if they raced each other on the lake.

Speaking of running, remember when Jim Bob and the older boys ran in a local 5 k race? They wore long pants, denim to be exact. I think they learned, but probably won't admit, that you cannot run in dungaree jeans.

Actually, that run/walk also had a 1 mile option and that's what they did. Boob would have killed himself doing a 5k; he was bad enough racing Joseph (not sure where JD was that day) to the finish line. Joseph won. :lol:

At any rate, the Duggars are VERY competitive amongst one-another and I bet that goes for the girls as well: who can have the crunchiest perm? Finish off an eyebrow pencil and tube of mascara first? Prep TTC the fastest? :mrgreen:

I agree with other posters, the Maxwells probably viewed kayaking as an exercise and not a sport.

I remember once on the Duggars' show, there was an episode in which Boob had cement poured to form a basketball court and he had backboards/baskets put up. I remember Michelle talked about how excited Boob was to have a basketball court for the kids and I thought those kids could actually be playing in youth sports leagues but later I realized Boob and Michelle probably wouldn't like the idea of the kids playing with kids outside the family. I think they are only ok with broomball because it is an event with other homeschooling families.

maybe I missed something here,

but why in the world would you be against sports in the first place?!?!

The Maxwells weren't always against sports. Their two oldest boys played baseball when they were little. But the games and practices took up a lot of the family's time. That was the parents' initial objection, and I can see where they're coming from on that one. A few years ago, my younger niece expressed an interest in cheerleading, but then my sister found out that practices took place every single day at a time when normal people are at home eating dinner. Sis didn't want her family life disrupted to such an extreme degree-- especially since we're talking about an activity for a first-grader here-- so she said no to cheerleading.

The Maxwells also didn't want baseball taking time away from church and family worship time. OK, I can see where a Christian parent would want their kid in church on Sunday rather than on the baseball diamond. But wouldn't family worship time be more flexible?

Other things Steve Maxwell objected to were the (supposedly) negative behaviors his sons were picking up from their teammates. He also seems to have a jealous streak when it comes to his kids looking up to any adult other than himself or Teri, for he didn't like the idea of the boys viewing the coach as a role model.

From there, it gets farther off the beaten path. The Maxwells came to object to all sports because time is precious and should be spent at work or in worship. Not only do they think it's a waste of time to play sports, they also think it's a waste of time to watch sports, especially on TV. (Television is evil.) Thus, if you're a dad, you shouldn't toss around the football in the backyard with Junior because then you might start watching football games on TV and that's baaaaaad!

Physical activity for the sake of fitness/exercise is OK, but it can't be fun or competitive. If possible, it's better to mow the lawn or engage in some other physical labor and work up a sweat that way.

All of the above applies primarily to boys. As far as I know, none of the Maxwell girls ever played sports. They go for walks and do push-ups and that seems to be it. I was surprised to see them kayaking.

I love underarmour stuff! It's pricey, but lasts forever, washes really well, and stays up and in place on my huge butt and thighs no matter what activity I'm doing. Nothing worse than having to pull shorts up while running or doing yoga! And underarmour looks flattering on guys as well as gals, so not a surprise they look better in it!

The only thing I hate about Underarmour (and Nike's version, too) is that they expect everyone who is a large to actually wear a medium.

My son is 6'6" and uber-skinny, only weighs 170. Even HE finds underarmour compression shorts too small, and he's got the body for them, too.

They make pretty high quality athletic apparel. On another note, don't John and Joseph look much better in their workout gear than they do in their tucked in shirts and jeans? I think they do!

Yes, they do! Those push-ups they love to do are really paying off. I know we'll never see them shirtless, but the under armour shirts give a good idea about their chests and arms (sigh). I'm a chest and arm girl, can you tell?

Anything done with people outside the family. Running and archery are not the bad sports if they're done with the family. If they joined a running or archery club, that would wrong.

Steve's distaste for sports doesn't seem to be the activity itself, it's that it takes the player out of the family fold. Time that could be better spent in personal or family prayer with daddy Steve & their god.

I read somewhere that Steven used to run marathons. Yes, training for hours and hours takes away from the family, BUT...that time can be used for contemplative prayer, the children could join him on their bikes (having a support team to carry sunscreen/water/gatorade/vaseline/cell phone/etc. is an enormous help), taking the children w/ him on his long runs would give Teri some time alone in prayer too, traveling to races would be a wonderful family activity, and cheering on other runners is yet another form of 'encouragement'. And, these reasons don't even touch upon how beneficial it is to the children to show them healthy living by example.

Interesting thing is how amongst all the "sports are an evil idol" preaching, Steve IS rather into the "living healthy and providing a healthy example for the kids" mentality.

Hence all the push-ups, the daily long walks in frumpers, and the rest. Plenty of older blog posts showed them hiking around various places they'd pass by while on the bus trips, too.

In some ways it reminds me of a crazy radio show I heard on shortwave last time I was camping - it was all about how important it is to keep fit because the coming revolution for Christ is going to need everyone to take part, when the government falls and it's just you and your manly self against the heathen hordes, you will need to be prepared. So DEFINITELY start stocking up your ammo, but don't forget to do 30 minutes or so of exercise 3 to 5 times a week, yes, even you! You can walk around your country lane with your grandsons, don't you know?

Weirdest "PSA" I'd heard in quite some time, that's for certain! :P

ETA: "Living PHYSICALLY healthy," that is. Mental health is an entire other subject...!

Other things Steve Maxwell objected to were the (supposedly) negative behaviors his sons were picking up from their teammates. He also seems to have a jealous streak when it comes to his kids looking up to any adult other than himself or Teri, for he didn't like the idea of the boys viewing the coach as a role model.

All of the above applies primarily to boys. As far as I know, none of the Maxwell girls ever played sports. They go for walks and do push-ups and that seems to be it. I was surprised to see them kayaking.

Kayaking the way they hike--in mid-calf skirts, no less. And with no instruction on proper paddling technique, so no danger that they'll ever actually get good at it. (As an experienced kayaker, those pictures of the guys flailing around with their paddles made me cringe)

Steve's comment about how a kid will turn to a coach rather than to his father for leadership really really chapped my hide. Is he so insecure that he feels threatened when his kids listen to another adult, on a topic where the coach is actually more knowledgeable than Steve? Or, if Steve is so omniscient, why doesn't he volunteer to coach his kids' teams? It's not like he can't take the time off from work.

Or, if Steve is so omniscient, why doesn't he volunteer to coach his kids' teams? It's not like he can't take the time off from work.

EVERYTHING they do must be for God. All of their time should be devoted to godly activities and family. He would never take the time to spend with other children-and away from his family. Plus, they would then be exposed to other children, parents, coaches, and ways of life. Remember, these are the people who have church in a nursing home so their children are not around other young people. Every single influence in the lives of the Maxwell children, even the adults, MUST be controlled by Steve. And no one can like anything too much or else it is an idol to them and must be eliminated. The kayaking was probably okay because they only did it for exercise, only have access to it during this vactation, and because they spent the time enjoying the beauty of God's creation. Which might be the only thing I could agree on with this family.

I just want to take them to the matinee, stuff them full of butter popcorn, then drop them off at a state fair where they can wander around among face painting booths and ring-the-bell contests and munch on pupusas and churros while they listen to the band play Beatles and John Denver classics until it's time for the rodeo. WITHOUT TRACTS, mind you....No tracts, no preaching, nada.

Can I come? I'm right witcha on this one!

"Some might call" kayaking a sport, just like "some might call" the whole Colorado week a vacation.

But not the Maxwells.

It was just fellowship and exercise, folks. Fellowship and exercise.

Abby wanted to see the chipmucks, but she couldn't ask her Daddy. She had to pray to God for her Daddy to take her to the chipmucks. Luckly for Abby, God told Daddy it was OK to visit the chipmucks again.

Isn't this the way Santa Claus works? YES

And Melanie can't just say she wants/is going to take Abby back to see the chipmunks? NO

Nathan needs Steve to decide what to do with Abby? YES

OK, a girl (however young) has an independent thought so she asks God to give her thought to her "authority" and IF God thinks it's a good idea AND her authority is obedient, she gets to act on the thought. NOW I get it !!!

And this is why I'm becoming a psychologist, I don't understand why they act this one bit. When we pray we can pretend all we want that we are "getting" messages from god. It's like playing pretend. but for grown ups.

Poor Sarah wants to get married so badly, doesn't she.

THIIIIIIIS!!!!!

Aside from that though I have to ask - how is this particular God any different from Santa Claus? Think about it for a minute. KId wants something, kid overhears talk about it, kid mentions it in an aside. ADULTS with the power to grant the kid's wish hear this conversation, but tell the kid to ask Santa for it. Kid makes a big deal of asking Santa for it. Meanwhile the adults, now all in on the story, arrange for the kid to get her wish.

Kid wakes up on Xmas morning and wow, the wish has come true! The kid gets all excited because Santa granted the wish. Kid's belief in Santa is strengthened, meanwhile the adults are cheered up by the pure trust of the kid's belief.

...isn't that how the Santa play works? Main difference of course is that most kids get "in on it" and realize that Santa is really "secret Santa" among the family LONG before they turn 30.

Archived