IGNORED

3rd Degree Burns on a Child: Priesthood blessing THEN 911

emily

Did you read this?

Healed and gone?? Who is dumb enough to believe that a burn from a sparkler healed in a few hours??

I did, and I actually meant to link it, but I'm strung out on Zyrtec right now. :/ It's horrible to even promote this stuff like this.

Also, a dinky plastic cup will NOT protect a kid's hands from a lit sparkler. Gah.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never heard of doTerra so I googled. Of course most of the hits were from sites extolling the virtues but then there's this...

granolaliving.com/2012/07/why-we-dont-offer-doterra-young-living-or-other-multi-marketing-brands-of-essential-oils/

Everything surrounding this blog and its claims smells like day-old fish.

and now they have changed the pre-accident post entitled "About Max". did anyone read it before? it talked about his being interested in physics and said that he was currently reading the biography of Robert Goddard (whom they secretly hoped was a distant relative.)

now it just says:

ABOUT MAX

JULY 1, 2014 ADMIN 8 COMMENTS

Max has a brilliant soul! He is one of the most caring individuals I know. He takes wonderful care of his brothers and sisters. He loves to pull Talmage and Abi around the hardwood floor on a blanket. They love him dearly.

and from the "Give to Healing Hands" page, there's this:

GIVE TO HEALING HANDS

Max was planning on doing a service trip to Ghana Africa with his parents and 2 of his brothers at the end of July. He has always had a gentle and generous heart.

a friend has sleuthed the FB page for the dad, and, surprisingly, he works for and posts a lot about doTerra:

the quote from one photo of him and his wife in Haiti:

I am honored to be with doTERRA's owners and presidential diamonds on a very special trip.

We took the first 2 days in Haiti to visit the Vetiver fields. As we drove through Port-au-Prince, there was so much poverty - Nat and I just wanted to buy something from every street vendors to support their hard work. The impact of the earthquake was everywhere: buildings & homes in rubble, trash everywhere. Within a few miles, my hope turned to despair as the sheer volume of people in dire need became overwhelming: hungry eyes, people rummaging through trash & bathing in filthy gutters. My thoughts were, "If I gave everything I had to Haiti for the rest of my life, it would be only a drop on the bucket."

The next day, we visited doTERRA's vetiver fields and distillery. We met the growers whose families have worked these fields for generations. We met the leaders of the cooperative who manage the vetiver farms. We met the managers of the distillery who are working closely with doTERRA to maintain standards of quality. doTERRA's Healing Hands foundation built a water source so that the growers don't have to walk 1.5 hours each way to get water each day. doTERRA is making a huge difference in Haiti's economy through their principled approach: incentivizing production, attracting strong local leaders, creating over 3,500 jobs for vetiver alone. I wept tears of joy seeing these good people with good jobs, clean water, and the chance for a better future. My despair for Haiti's grim situation returned to hope.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.â€

- Edward Hale — with Natalie Crosby Goddard.

Good MLM marketing there but it's still snake oil when it comes to burns, especially those severe burns.

I never heard of doTerra so I googled. Of course most of the hits were from sites extolling the virtues but then there's this...

granolaliving.com/2012/07/why-we-dont-offer-doterra-young-living-or-other-multi-marketing-brands-of-essential-oils/

Everything surrounding this blog and its claims smells like day-old fish.

That essential oil thing sounds like a big MLM scheme that preys on people like Mormon housewives who won't work outside the home because of religious beliefs for strict gender roles, where the woman stays at home with the children. One thing I've heard about 3rd degree burns is that the only thing you can put on it is sterile gauze as burns that severe will get infected. The thing with essential oils is that many of them need to be diluted in a carrier oil for safety reasons, and they're only to be used externally. I'm saying that because while I googled doTerra, there were hits from sites where people said they've ingested those oils and that they allegedly helped.

I agree that the family probably killed their son by putting those oils on him before calling 911.

Good MLM marketing there but it's still snake oil when it comes to burns, especially those severe burns.

I understand how some people are better in emergencies than others (I'm one of those eerily calm people that zones out and just does what needs to be done, but I digress), but from the description this boy's skin was literally peeling off his arm, to the point where he was asking for a pair of scissors to snip it off. How on earth does anyone think the best route to go would be dumping an entire bottle of smelly lilac oil all over him was going to help is beyond me.

I call bullshit on the "Sorry to scare you Mom and Dad, I'll be fine" remark. NO child would say that, they'd be screaming the place down and quite right too! Poor kid, I'm glad they're not my parents. Does anyone know if he did/will pull through?

I cant see this turning out well :( If the kid dies, it is probably because of his parents stupid actions, which is such a sad thing as they thought they were doing the best for him, and imagine being responsible for accidentally killing your child :(

Why the hell are doctors allowing them to continue putting the oils on him in the hospital when it goes against every bit of accepted advice on dealing with burns????? Even if its more of a case of the kid definitely going to die and just trying to make the parents feel useful, its highly unethical for them to even suggest such silly things. What kind of doctor did they go to????

I call bullshit on the "Sorry to scare you Mom and Dad, I'll be fine" remark. NO child would say that, they'd be screaming the place down and quite right too! Poor kid, I'm glad they're not my parents. Does anyone know if he did/will pull through?

I find this somewhat believable. From the description of the things he said and the chills, as well as how serious these injuries are, it's pretty clear that this boy was in terrible shock. People can be incredibly calm, lucid, and not in any pain when that sets in.

They appear to be real people, really into DoTerra:

youtube.com/user/fatherofmax/videos

sharedoterra.com/about/

doterrauniversity.com/natalie-andy-goddard/

facebook.com/andygoddard

facebook.com/ncgoddard?ref=br_rs

According to the dates on these posts, this accident happened on July 2 of this year... meaning four days ago.

So in the last ninety-six hours this family has managed to put up this website and write multiple posts and find a random burn ward doctor who is totally chill with multiple daily irrigations of essential oils onto a severely burned pediatric patient. Yeah, no. Not buying this at all. Although if it's the case these people are psychopaths.

According to the dates on these posts, this accident happened on July 2 of this year... meaning four days ago.

So in the last ninety-six hours this family has managed to put up this website and write multiple posts and find a random burn ward doctor who is totally chill with multiple daily irrigations of essential oils onto a severely burned pediatric patient. Yeah, no. Not buying this at all. Although if it's the case these people are psychopaths.

I am still on the fence but strongly leaning towards scam, although maybe that's more because the thought of these parents praying and greasing up their child, whose flesh is falling off him and who is clearly in shock, is such a horror to me that I'd rather think they were just out for a cheap buck.

web.stagram.com/p/758076535592600051_7940911 <--- isn't this someone who's been talked about here before?

I just wonder about the photographs, though--they seem pretty convincing. Could a technologically savvy freejingerite do a reverse google search to see if these images have been stolen from somewhere?

I just wonder about the photographs, though--they seem pretty convincing. Could a technologically savvy freejingerite do a reverse google search to see if these images have been stolen from somewhere?

I searched all of the images from the post about the accident, they appear to be unique to the blog. But I did notice a timeline error. The accident supposedly happened at 1:50 pm on July 2, the same day as the blog post about it, but at the bottom there is an image claiming to show him 56 hours after the accident- which would mean it was taken about 10 pm July 4. That doesn't add up.

So perhaps it happened but they're lying about the date it happened. I wonder what purpose that serves?

So perhaps it happened but they're lying about the date it happened. I wonder what purpose that serves?

Could it have been something that happened in the past -- the child in the pictures really doesn't look 15 -- and they just decided to use the story to prop up their business? I hate thinking that anyone could be so mercenary with their own kids' traumatic experiences, but it's hardly the first time something like that has happened.

Oh bloody hell. As a burn survivor this gives me the chills. The risk of infection in the days following burns is huge. I did all the right things and STILL ended up with an infection. Then there's the fluid loss issue which remains for several days following burns. Shock sets in too and compounds everything. I was having treatment for months afterwards and then needed two years in pressure dressings. I was an ADULT when this happened and I don't want to imagine what it would be like for a child. Fuck, some parents are so stupid they are downright moronic.

Sola; 20% burn survivor.

It's interesting to me that I couldn't find any news articles on this child. The town in which this occurred is populated by about 10,000 people--you'd think it'd be big news. Maybe it's not because it's sort of a suburb of Provo?

I find this somewhat believable. From the description of the things he said and the chills, as well as how serious these injuries are, it's pretty clear that this boy was in terrible shock. People can be incredibly calm, lucid, and not in any pain when that sets in.

Additionally, I remember learning in school that third degree burns typically hurt less than second degree because the tissue damage is so deep that the nerve endings are affected and can't feel the pain. Perhaps a FJer in the medical field can confirm or deny.

Additionally, I remember learning in school that third degree burns typically hurt less than second degree because the tissue damage is so deep that the nerve endings are affected and can't feel the pain. Perhaps a FJer in the medical field can confirm or deny.

True, third degree burns are where the full thickeners of skin is burnt they usually don't hurt because of the nerves being destroyed. The thing is burns rarely are confined to a single area and only one degree of severity so they are usually accompanied by other areas that aren't burnt as deep and are excruciatingly painful.

Also, I have seen people with severe injuries tell me "it's nothing," and some of those people have been kids. That to me is the most believable part of the story.

I do agree, however, that believing the kid IS bad parenting.

did anyone else notice that this blog was started the day before the accident and they ask for donations to a doterra charity? curiouser and curiouser....

ETA i call BS on the whole thing.

I figured it was started after the burn, with the backdating the first post so that info would be at the beginning.

Did anyone else notice that most of the comments were along the lines of "Thank God for doTerra oils!"

Something's hinky with this. I actually hope it IS a scam rather than think that there really are parents out there who'd try to DIY burns this extensive and severe.

We can hope, but if anyone has any idea where these people are located, I will still call DHS.

Did you read this?

Healed and gone?? Who is dumb enough to believe that a burn from a sparkler healed in a few hours??

What kind of kid who knows to ask for lavender doesn't know not to grab the sparking end of a stick?

Confirmed. 3rd degree kills the nerve endings, and strange as it seems, the flesh underneath doesn't have that kind of feeling. I've touched my own fleshless muscles one, and it's something that you can't forget. No pain.

Archived