IGNORED

3rd Degree Burns on a Child: Priesthood blessing THEN 911

emily

It makes me wonder if a social worker paid them a visit...

We can hope. I just got off the phone from giving CPS the update about needing to look for the cached version. I suspect someone got right on this as it's a case involving a child who is currently in a dangerous medical situation with parents who admitted to interfering without medical consent, and I emphasized concern that who knows what else they could try to do without telling the doctors.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maxgoddard.com/the-accident

Here's a tender excerpt:

I haven't read all the comments yet, but having recently suffered a pretty significant 2nd degree burn myself I'm unfortunately familiar with burn care after doing much reading on it. It's like these parents read what you shouldn't do for 3rd degree burns and then proceeded to do every single thing on that list to this poor kid :(

cache:maxgoddard.com/the-accident You'll need to copy/paste that exactly. I left off the http://www. part to make sure it didn't link back, and then copied that link exactly to make sure it works.

The unedited version. Better than screen caps. I'm going through the press-1-press-2 stuff to talk to a social worker again.

that is breeeelliant! :clap: i had no idea you could do that.

i hope they listen to you.

that is breeeelliant! :clap: i had no idea you could do that.

i hope they listen to you.

Do I include the word "cache" and the colon? (sorry, internetz-magic doofus here)

One thing I've heard about 3rd degree burns is that the only thing you can put on it is sterile gauze as burns that severe will get infected. The thing with essential oils is that many of them need to be diluted in a carrier oil for safety reasons, and they're only to be used externally. I'm saying that because while I googled doTerra, there were hits from sites where people said they've ingested those oils and that they allegedly helped.

I agree that the family probably killed their son by putting those oils on him before calling 911.

Not just 3rd degree burns. Burns, in general, are very susceptible to becoming infected. I also learned during my recent burn that they are susceptible to tetanus! :shock:

If this story is true, this kid is in a facility full of mandatory reporters. Any accident like that is going to automatically be investigated by ER staff and social workers, so I really call bullshit on an underage burn victim coming into an ER covered in lavender oil and not triggering a CPS investigation. I call double bullshit that any burn unit in these United States is going to allow essential oils or anything else some crank parents want anywhere near a patient.

Come on everybody, think it through for a minute. Whether the kid and his burns are real or not, EVERYTHING around the essential oils are lies, lies, lies.

I find this somewhat believable. From the description of the things he said and the chills, as well as how serious these injuries are, it's pretty clear that this boy was in terrible shock. People can be incredibly calm, lucid, and not in any pain when that sets in.

3rd degree burns generally do not hurt (initially) because the nerve endings are burned. That is one of the ways to differentiate a 2nd degree from a 3rd degree burn. I think it's possible he did say something like that, because he was undoubtedly in shock.

Here from the Mayo Clinic is what to do/not do for 3rd Degree burns and cautions for burns in general:

Caution

Don't use ice. Putting ice directly on a burn can cause a person's body to become too cold and cause further damage to the wound.

Don't apply egg whites, butter or ointments to the burn. This could cause infection.

Don't break blisters. Broken blisters are more vulnerable to infection.

3rd-degree burn

The most serious burns involve all layers of the skin and cause permanent tissue damage. Fat, muscle and even bone may be affected. Areas may be charred black or appear dry and white. Difficulty inhaling and exhaling, carbon monoxide poisoning, or other toxic effects may occur if smoke inhalation accompanies the burn.

For major burns, call 911 or emergency medical help. Until an emergency unit arrives, follow these steps:

Don't remove burned clothing. However, do make sure the victim is no longer in contact with smoldering materials or exposed to smoke or heat.

Don't immerse large severe burns in cold water. Doing so could cause a drop in body temperature (hypothermia) and deterioration of blood pressure and circulation (shock).

Check for signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If there is no breathing or other sign of circulation, begin CPR.

Elevate the burned body part or parts. Raise above heart level, when possible.

Cover the area of the burn. Use a cool, moist, sterile bandage; clean, moist cloth; or moist cloth towels.

Get a tetanus shot. Burns are susceptible to tetanus. Doctors recommend you get a tetanus shot every 10 years. If your last shot was more than five years ago, your doctor may recommend a tetanus shot booster.

If this story is true, this kid is in a facility full of mandatory reporters. Any accident like that is going to automatically be investigated by ER staff and social workers, so I really call bullshit on an underage burn victim coming into an ER covered in lavender oil and not triggering a CPS investigation. I call double bullshit that any burn unit in these United States is going to allow essential oils or anything else some crank parents want anywhere near a patient.

Come on everybody, think it through for a minute. Whether the kid and his burns are real or not, EVERYTHING around the essential oils are lies, lies, lies.

That's true, and if the staff wasn't sure when this kid had his tetanus booster, they would have given him one as a precaution since severe burns put one at risk for tetanus. Even people with 2nd degree burns get that booster if it's been over 5 years. My guess is that if they had already had a visit from a social worker, it was probably the ER staff who filed the CPS report as this happened before the holiday weekend.

Do I include the word "cache" and the colon? (sorry, internetz-magic doofus here)

Yes. That brings up the cached version Google has for it.

Right, but there's only so much they can discover if the family lies about the time delay, and it's pretty clear they snuck the initial oils. They have to be caught. Unfortunately that happens too late somethings. Luckily this time the family posted about these things.

I also call BS on the oils. Everything around that boy needs to be sterile, not in a bottle brought from home. If they're using oils, they're sneaking, but saying they have the hospital's blessing to soak gauze in the oils and putting that on the wounds. If they're using oils, it's most likely without the hospital's knowledge. Mandated reporters can't report what they don't know about.

That's true, and if the staff wasn't sure when this kid had his tetanus booster, they would have given him one as a precaution since severe burns put one at risk for tetanus. Even people with 2nd degree burns get that booster if it's been over 5 years. My guess is that if they had already had a visit from a social worker, it was probably the ER staff who filed the CPS report as this happened before the holiday weekend.

When I was on the phone with CPS the first time, the worker was so astonished by this stuff being posted that he looked up if there were already any reports made, and there weren't. I was on the phone while he did this. So no reports made until this morning.

Amen to everyone who said "WTF?" about the oils. I learned as a Junior Girl Scout (in an excellent Red Cross first aid class) NEVER to put grease on a burn. The poster above is right: it does hold the heat in.

What the hell is up with this " essential oil is a cure-all" fad?

Putting the word "cache" in there caused my browser to not open the page. Leaving it out took me right back to the unedited page.

I really feel that the parents actions are criminally negligent. I also feel that dumping lavender oil or what hoo-hoo bullshit they are spraying on him WHILE he is in the burn ward is also negligent behavior.

Harmful idiocy for sure, but criminal negligence technically means that you know that something is likely to cause harm and you do it anyway.

It's not just mere stupidity.

Amen to everyone who said "WTF?" about the oils. I learned as a Junior Girl Scout (in an excellent Red Cross first aid class) NEVER to put grease on a burn. The poster above is right: it does hold the heat in.

What the hell is up with this " essential oil is a cure-all" fad?

Oh, don't get me started. They're the latest MLM fad. When my mom was into MLMs, it was Mary Kay. Then Pampered Chef. Now it's Young Living and doTerra. Notice it's always the reps who make all these crazy claims. "I cured my son's autism with these two essential oils!" "We made it through flu season with nary a sniffle, thanks to my beloved OnGuard blend!" And I'm sure you're telling me this out of the goodness of your heart and not because you're charging people $50 for 2 teaspoons of the stuff...

(Disclaimer: I do use lavender EO for headaches, peppermint for sinus pressure, and lemon... But not to cure 3rd degree burns, autism, or epilepsy. Having said that, if they aren't diluted in a carrier oil (which doTerra robots never do--they just dump a bunch out of the bottle and think it's ok to use it straight), they BURN! I can't imagine that in addition to a 3rd degree burn!

Harmful idiocy for sure, but criminal negligence technically means that you know that something is likely to cause harm and you do it anyway.

It's common sense that you get to an ER when someone was on fire. The chose to wait at home. Since they claim to know all about how this and that cures burned, I think it's safe to presume they know doing nothing is harmful.

I put 15 drops of lavender oil in gallon of water with vinegar and the LAVENDER stinks to high heaven. They are not "sneaking" oil on to the bandages of a 3rd degree burn patient without medical staff getting a whiff and raising Hell. They are lying to impress their gullible pyramid scheme marks.

For the record, I buy lavender and tea tree oil at good old Wegmans (going on 3 years for the same small bottles), use them to make my cleaning solutions smell fresh and my bra drawer smell flowery, and can't believe their are idiots out there who think they cure burns and cancer.

Well, in the first mix they said they also used coconut oil. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK I read coconut can be used as a carrier oil. However, opening a bottle of lavender and dumping it straight out, undiluted? Ouch! (That's what my old boss did and I never understood why, it just hurt more.)

Honestly, my first reaction would be the aloe plant, though I have since been educated that for 3rd degree burns it isn't wise.

Also, what is MLM?

Sorry. I stand by my statement. Their kid was just ON FIRE. Trying to treat injuries that extensive at home is insanity. If your child has been on fire you smother the flames and call 911 immediately. You then do EXACTLY what the 911 operator tells you to do. Nothing more. Nothing less. I learned that crap in a basic babysitting course when I was 10. Failure to get medical help for your child in a timely manner is criminally negligent. I hope for that kid's sake it doesn't evolve into criminally negligent homicide.

Also, what is MLM?

Say I sell snake oil, and I get to keep 30% of the money I sell it for. If I can get you to sign up, you get 30% of what you sell, and what I get out of you infringing on my territory is 15% of whatever YOU sell, meaning I stand to make MORE money by getting you to sign up under me. There are now two levels of income for me. Now you go off and get people to sign up under YOU also, and then you get 15% of their sales.

Welcome to Multi-Level Marketing. Better known as a Pyramid Scheme. Yes, sometimes it's legal. Bernie Madoff did it wrong.

Right, but there's only so much they can discover if the family lies about the time delay, and it's pretty clear they snuck the initial oils. They have to be caught. Unfortunately that happens too late somethings. Luckily this time the family posted about these things.

I also call BS on the oils. Everything around that boy needs to be sterile, not in a bottle brought from home. If they're using oils, they're sneaking, but saying they have the hospital's blessing to soak gauze in the oils and putting that on the wounds. If they're using oils, it's most likely without the hospital's knowledge. Mandated reporters can't report what they don't know about.

Even if they could sneak anything in, it would be very difficult to try and soak any gauze without medical personnel seeing what they were doing and stopping them. A newly admitted burn patient will be constantly attended. There's no way they could even try to administer the stuff.

Actually criminal negligence can be established by an omission to do something in some circumstances. There needs to be a special relationship like a parent-child relationship which there is here so they could be found criminally negligent for failing to get him treatment (I think its unlikely a prosecutor would press charges though).

A classic example is if you are walking down the street and see neighbor child drowning you do not have to do anything you can watch the child die you would be a terrible person but criminally negligent. If however, it is your child drowning you do have a duty to rescue the child.

Many years ago, my father burned the palm of one hand, 2nd and 3rd degree. He grabbed a hot piece of metal (he was a machinist). When he reported the injury (more like yelled profanities because it hurt like hell), his boss called the in plant EMS team and he was tossed in an ambulance and taken to the burn center where we lived. That was for 2nd/3rd degree on his hand. IF I remember right, it was the palm of his hand and a couple of his fingers. He was in the hospital for a week afterwards.

Whatever they've done to this kid is horrendous. I hope like hell CPS does get involved.

Archived