IGNORED

3rd Degree Burns on a Child: Priesthood blessing THEN 911

emily

I got a really severe 2nd degree burn last year (too many things going on, forgot I'd just taken a pan out of a 500 degree oven and grabbed the handle), and I thank god my best friend was there to think clearly and put cool water - not ice - on it and drag me to the ER, because I was in no shape to make decisions or even answer questions. It took ages to heal properly, and I still get the pins and needles feeling sometimes.

I can't imagine putting a child through that kind of hell before taking him to the hospital. Even ignoring the legal ramifications, that's sheer cruelty.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They edited the original post again. Now it says,

I patted some flames out as he walked down the back hall and Lorene threw a bowl of water on him in the kitchen. He went to the kitchen sink where we ran his hands under water. His face and most of his hair was singed. The whole time, he kept saying, “I’m sorry, Mom & Dad. I didn’t mean to scare you. I’m going to be fine.â€

He took his clothes off in the kitchen and we put him in our bathtub under cold water. He said an explosion went off and He was blinded by the light and stumbled around, then ran into the house.

While he was in the tub, Markus and I gave him a priesthood blessing. I carried him to the van and we rushed him to the AF hospital.

Absolutely everything else is gone. I think they're in trouble. GOOD. They could have killed their son!

They edited the original post again. Now it says,

Absolutely everything else is gone. I think they're in trouble. GOOD. They could have killed their son!

Unfortunately he could still die. His risk of infection and compartment syndrome is huge. Then there's fluid loss. He's not out of the woods yet. Not by a long shot.

Their child is in critical condition and they are fucking around on the internet? Editing a goddamned blog post? Really? That makes about as much sense as them stopping to watch a tv show in the moments after their son was ON FIRE...or dousing him in some bullshit oils.

My mother was severely burned (face, neck, chest) as a child. My grandparents never forgot about the skin falling off, the stench of rotting flesh, or how eerily calm my mom was as she was rushed to the hospital. They never forgot being told by doctors that she would most likely die (and that they had lost a child that very night from lesser injuries).

By the time my kids were born I had heard the story so many times that I was rabidly cautious, never even allowing children in the kitchen when I was cooking. They still aren't if I am boiling water or frying something (rare) and they are 9 and 10 years old. My in-laws used to think I was insane, but when my mil was cooking and other grandchildren were running about underfoot I always shook my head and insisted that my children weren't allowed. I guess you could say I was traumatized secondhand.

All that to say that what these people are doing is inexcusable, and I HOPE it's all a hoax because I can't stand to think people that stupid or careless exist.

I think their latest version of events is much closer to the truth. The boy was outside, apparently alone and unsupervised, when a firework exploded. There's no mention of extreme trauma to his hands, so he probably wasn't actually holding the firework, but maybe it had a very short fuse and he was still too close to it when it went off. As the boy said, there was an explosion and temporary loss of vision causing him to become extremely confused so there was a delay while the boy was processing what had happened and getting his vision back. By the time he made it back inside shock was already setting in, causing his reactions to be eerily calm.

I think the parents did pat down some parts of his clothing that were still smoking, pour water over his head, and maybe they stupidly put him in the bathtub. They obviously should have called 911 before putting the boy in the tub, I'm not even sure if they should have allowed him to undress unless the 911 operator told them to. They should have followed the 911 advice and waited for an ambulance.

Anyway, I think the part of the dousing of the oils was bull, I pray they really didn't watch TV, the prayer could have been said while doing other first aid, etc. But I really question the BS about reporting the accident on their blog and trying to use it as both a religious statement and an advertisement for their stupid essential oils. I can't believe they were ever allowed to continue the oil 'treatment' at the hospital, nor do I believe that they were able to do it secretly. The whole thing smacks of bad parenting and greed, with a huge dose of narcissism as they tried to play up the whole mess as a combination of "Aren't we so holy?" and "BUY our oils!", coupled with a few jabs about needing heavenly intervention to bend the minds of the doctors to the correct course of treatment (All we really need to do is dump on more oils!)

Anyway, I'm not sure what will happen to them now, and if they had a lick of sense they'd take down their blog and focus on their son. As for why they started editing the blog, maybe someone read here that Dbrand was going to call CSD. Or they got pulled into a meeting with doctors and a social worker asking about their claims that they delayed seeking treatment, covered severe burns with oil, and were claiming that they were also sneaking oil onto the burn ward and interferring with their son's medical treatment.

Nothing much to add here except I think he watched TV in the van on the way to the hospital. And how does an explosion just go off in the garage? (did it say garage all along - I thought I read something about someone looking out the window and seeing him on fire? Unless it is a detached garage..) I wonder what he was doing? I hope this poor child lives :(

I went back and read some more, as I hadn't realized that this family actually has a business selling these oils.

Yes, criminal negligence does require a higher standard than civil negligence. To be convicted criminally, prosecutors basically need to show that you didn't just cause/failure to prevent harm, but that you were doing (or not doing) something that was so out of whack that you had to know it could be harmful.

When I first read the post, I didn't real the actual blog post, and I was picturing in my mind some of the families from my work - some of them do totally stupid things out of sheer ignorance and have no idea that they are doing something harmful. When they finally learn better, they do better. [ignorance doesn't stop child protection officials from getting involved, of course. They don't really care about parental intent, and just focus on any risk to the children.]

Believing in the magical woo of something that YOU ARE SELLING AND PUSHING ON OTHERS seems to be another level. It's a bit different from, say, following really outdated first-aid advice in the heat of the moment.

Unfortunately he could still die. His risk of infection and compartment syndrome is huge. Then there's fluid loss. He's not out of the woods yet. Not by a long shot.

I know. They just want us to believe those oils are taking him from 40% 3rd degree burns to 25%. In reality, he's still in a very bad position.

As for why they started editing the blog, maybe someone read here that Dbrand was going to call CSD.

That was me, and I made UT's CPS aware of the editing and how to get the cached version of events.

Their child is in critical condition and they are fucking around on the internet? Editing a goddamned blog post? Really? That makes about as much sense as them stopping to watch a tv show in the moments after their son was ON FIRE...or dousing him in some bullshit oils.

Plenty of time to edit, but curiously not post another update.

I went back and read some more, as I hadn't realized that this family actually has a business selling these oils.

Yes, criminal negligence does require a higher standard than civil negligence. To be convicted criminally, prosecutors basically need to show that you didn't just cause/failure to prevent harm, but that you were doing (or not doing) something that was so out of whack that you had to know it could be harmful.

When I first read the post, I didn't real the actual blog post, and I was picturing in my mind some of the families from my work - some of them do totally stupid things out of sheer ignorance and have no idea that they are doing something harmful. When they finally learn better, they do better. [ignorance doesn't stop child protection officials from getting involved, of course. They don't really care about parental intent, and just focus on any risk to the children.]

Believing in the magical woo of something that YOU ARE SELLING AND PUSHING ON OTHERS seems to be another level. It's a bit different from, say, following really outdated first-aid advice in the heat of the moment.

http://doterra.wikia.com/wiki/Andy_and_Natalie_Goddard

Criminal negligence is conduct which is such a departure from what would be that of an ordinary prudent or careful person in the same circumstance as to be incompatible with a proper regard for human life or an indifference to consequences. Criminal negligence is negligence that is aggravated, culpable or gross.

The following is an example of one state's statute defining criminal negligence:

''A person acts with 'criminal negligence' with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.''

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/criminal-negligence/

Wow, reading the doterra information, it sounds like a cult all on its own. I wonder if the y actually believe that these oils are the answer to absolutely, positively every single problem on the face of the planet? Maybe they are so immersed in selling this stuff they really can't tell the difference between their pitch and reality. Crazy stuff.

Even if they somehow think these essential oils are useful for first aid, like using some watered down anti-inflammatory or numbing oil if you forget to use a potholder and pick up a hot pan--- I still don't see how they could translate this to thinking they should do this when their kid is literally on fire. Even in a panic, wouldn't call 911 be the first thing that enters anyone's mind once the flames are out?

That was me, and I made UT's CPS aware of the editing and how to get the cached version of events.

Thank you for doing that. I nominate you for FJ's Hero of the Month (which sadly doesn't exist yet).

I know. I'm sorry, I got your name wrong when I was writing my post, and didn't realize it until now.''

PROGRESS

JULY 8, 2014 ADMIN 12 COMMENTS

We are so grateful for the progress we see today:

Max’s bowels worked for the first time today since the accident!

His chemistry was all within range

The x-ray of Max’s chest is looking better – his fluids have come down

We thank a loving Father for the incredible staff here, for the gifts of the earth,for modern medicine, and for the power of prayer.

Thank you for all your continued prayers that:

His lungs continue to clear

His skin continues to heal

so they (cleverly) never actually mention the company name in their posts, but according to my research assistant, ms. google, "Gifts of the Earth" is doTerra's favorite byword. Max's mom's sales site is one of the first things that comes up if you search for that phrase and the company's name. they're still shilling while their child is lying in a hospital and could possibly die. :angry-steamingears:

this video:

and all the comments on that post make me think that there's a lot of kool-aid being drunk along with those essential oils.

there's video of the parents talking about doTerra:

ah, yes integrity...

Idiots, the both of them. She looks like she's as high as a fucking kite in that video.

The whole thing is too fucking weird for words. This blatant salesmanship when a child is injured is really sick. Count me in on thinking that delaying calling 911 and the rubbish first aid is neglectful, but uninformed people do make mistakes.

That said, IMO no Burns Unit is going to allow non-sterile oils on the premises let alone irrigate with them. I call bullshit on the parental claims of sympathetic holistic Dr. M. allowing that. Whether fake or not, the Hospital can't comment because of HIPAA.

If real, I hope the kid is OK, that Max was merely singed a little, and that all this stuff about him being at death's door and saved by essential oils is completely faked by salesman Dad.

If this isn't a total scam with images gleaned elsewhere, I'll be surprised.

I never heard of doTerra so I googled. Of course most of the hits were from sites extolling the virtues but then there's this...

granolaliving.com/2012/07/why-we-dont-offer-doterra-young-living-or-other-multi-marketing-brands-of-essential-oils/

Everything surrounding this blog and its claims smells like day-old fish.

Soo...to add to the 'wut?' factor, I emailed Robert Tisserand, the 'father of modern aromatherapy'' (his e-mail is listed on that page, evidently he collects stories of people that have been hurt using essential oils) and asked him to intervene with the parents. He told me he wouldn't, because he had heard of burns being successfully treated that way. So evidently this has been done before, which is a terrifying thought.

Archived