IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark Season 8 - Part 5

happy atheist

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting interview with Derick about becoming Pistol Pete the OSU mascot. Like his late father.

dc.library.okstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ostate/id/7778

The wedding invites are out, folks, it's harder to turn back now! I never realized they had the male/female version of the same middle name, which is sort of adorable...

post-8463-14451998967924_thumb.jpg

Is that the actual invitation, ViolaSebastian? Shouldn't Mr and Mrs Duggar be Mr and Mrs James Robert Duggar and Mr Richard Dillard? Is Derick's stepdad still living and married to Derick's mom? Why isn't he in the invitation? Oh, and honor should be spelled honour.

Penny, etiquette stickler

Yep, that's the actual invitation--I didn't realize until after I posted it, but there's a thread on the 'Quiver Full of Duggars' discussion board.

Newbie here too! I have been lurking in the background for a while, and have finally decided to join. Now, my own brother is a bit of an over protective kind of guy, but if he had ever talked to my husband like that when we were dating/engaged I would have kicked his ass! I did not like the way Joe spoke to either Jessa or Ben...if the guy wanted to be in the kitchen helping his girlfriend make a pie then so be it. It's not like they do not have a plethora of Duggarlings that could have helped him finish that stage.

Does anyone know where I can watch the latest episode online? My family was here on Tuesday evening, and they are still fairly fundie and refuse to watch any tv... so we didn't get to watch it.

That was an interesting interview with college-age Derrick. A smart kid, he had a 3.5 GPA in college, talked about his devotion to Christ, and how he didn't have time to have a girlfriend b/c of his Pistol Pete duties. Here's what else he said:

I want to get married and have a family and settle down somewhere and

pursue my career. I will probably work somewhere, whether it’s an

accounting firm or a company like Wal-Mart or something for a couple

years, and then I want to apply to be an FBI agent. One of my friends

told me that the FBI hires a lot of accountants, and I hadn’t really

thought about that because you don’t really think about accountants

being FBI agents and carrying a gun. I mean, it made sense to me

especially after I got Pete. I already got a little gun handling experience.

It may be a little different from being Pete, but I think it would be neat to

work with them and get to be in law enforcement but also be in

accounting.

Evil Feminist said:
Does anyone know where I can watch the latest episode online? My family was here on Tuesday evening, and they are still fairly fundie and refuse to watch any tv... so we didn't get to watch it.

[redacted]

I was just re-watching last weeks episode and I'm getting more and more convinced that Ben and Jessa are more compatible than Jill and Derick. I think Jill's infatuated because he's the first religious-minded man her age who isn't in her immediate family that she's allowed to get close to, and she's in love with the idea of being in love.

I've always liked Ben and Jessa, but this episode really made me realize that they're a better match than Dill. The episode was supposed to be about Derick meeting the family, but Bessa moments shined more and we got to know more about the humor and the quirky little things they share in their relationship.

(Also I have to say I love Jessa's genius when she butchered that pie and suckered Ben into helping her by making that totally OOC pouting face. She basically admitted it to Jinger in TH that she was putting on a damsel in distress act. These girls need some more reading material besides that Prince Charming crap. I have a feeling she's going to be controlling him a lot in future and use his fetish for watching her cook against him to do whatever she wants).

That was an interesting interview with college-age Derrick. A smart kid, he had a 3.5 GPA in college, talked about his devotion to Christ, and how he didn't have time to have a girlfriend b/c of his Pistol Pete duties. Here's what else he said:

Its weird to think that while this guy was running around playing Pistol Pete, Jill was running around changing diapers and helping to hold down a household of 17 because her mother was tending to her 19th child in the NICU.

I can see where the seeds could be planted for this kid to go Fundie but I can't imagine how the guy in that interview and Jill Duggar could ever end up marrying. People change, lifes a trip.

I had no idea what (who?) Pistol Pete was before this courtship and the head freaks me out. The entire thing does, I guess.

Is it common for the person who plays the mascot to be revealed? I was under the impression that some places it is supposed to be a big secret. I don't think anybody on our campus knows who our mascot is played by (or any of them, as they are several who do it, of course.)

I had no idea what (who?) Pistol Pete was before this courtship and the head freaks me out. The entire thing does, I guess.

Is it common for the person who plays the mascot to be revealed? I was under the impression that some places it is supposed to be a big secret. I don't think anybody on our campus knows who our mascot is played by (or any of them, as they are several who do it, of course.)

I only went to one school with a real mascot (I attended for a year before tuition spiked and I was dropped from my scholarship, forcing me back home). We knew who played the mascot. Well the two people. The first person decided to quit after he wound up in the hospital suffering from dehydration during orientation/move in day.

They are being all kinds of stupid with the helium compressed gas cylinder. It needs to be secured and only the adults should operate it. I have seen a compressed gas cylinders fall over and go through a cinderblock wall. The cylinder was in the process of being unloaded from a dolly and placed in its wall harness.

They are being all kinds of stupid with the helium compressed gas cylinder. It needs to be secured and only the adults should operate it. I have seen a compressed gas cylinders fall over and go through a cinderblock wall. The cylinder was in the process of being unloaded from a dolly and placed in its wall harness.

Pretty sure that someone should ensure that "accidentally happens" when the cameras are rolling. Actually get something exciting on the show for once...

I was just re-watching last weeks episode and I'm getting more and more convinced that Ben and Jessa are more compatible than Jill and Derick. I think Jill's infatuated because he's the first religious-minded man her age who isn't in her immediate family that she's allowed to get close to, and she's in love with the idea of being in love.

I've always liked Ben and Jessa, but this episode really made me realize that they're a better match than Dill. The episode was supposed to be about Derick meeting the family, but Bessa moments shined more and we got to know more about the humor and the quirky little things they share in their relationship.

(Also I have to say I love Jessa's genius when she butchered that pie and suckered Ben into helping her by making that totally OOC pouting face. She basically admitted it to Jinger in TH that she was putting on a damsel in distress act. These girls need some more reading material besides that Prince Charming crap. I have a feeling she's going to be controlling him a lot in future and use his fetish for watching her cook against him to do whatever she wants).

I've come around to liking Ben and Jessa as well. I won't go as far as saying They are a better match, but they concern me a little less than Jill and Derick. I don't think Derick is a bad guy, in my view Jill is caught up in the fairytale infatuated as you said. Jessa seems far more level headed and less vulnerable. Yes there is a certain amount of vulnerability that comes relationships , but I don't think Jill is vulnerable in a good way. I can see her being crushed with the infatuation phase ends.

An interesting interview with Derick about becoming Pistol Pete the OSU mascot. Like his late father.

dc.library.okstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ostate/id/7778

Pistol Pete is so not a Duggar. Picking up Pete's dry cleaning with a female friend in the passenger seat. Dancing with brides at their weddings. Oh my!

I'm curious about what Derick's college friends think of his relationship with Jill. Will his college friends be invited to the wedding?

Wow. So impressed by the interview, he sounds like a great guy- active, and very well spoken.

One thing I've noticed about normal people turned fundies is that there is always something that they did that they "regret" or wouldn't want their kids to do. Like Michelle Duggar and bathing suit lawn mowing. But after reading this interview and seeing the intense emotional attachment that Derrick has to being Pistol Pete and OSU in general- there is no WAY the Duggars could never find a way to make him regret any of that or not want that same college experience for his child,

Wow. So impressed by the interview, he sounds like a great guy- active, and very well spoken.

One thing I've noticed about normal people turned fundies is that there is always something that they did that they "regret" or wouldn't want their kids to do. Like Michelle Duggar and bathing suit lawn mowing. But after reading this interview and seeing the intense emotional attachment that Derrick has to being Pistol Pete and OSU in general- there is no WAY the Duggars could never find a way to make him regret any of that or not want that same college experience for his child,

Hopefully by the time their kids are in college, they'll be able to just be regular people. I can't imagine another 20 years of 19 Kids And 30 Grandkids And 5 Greatgrandkids and Counting! or whatever lol. "Up next, Michelle teaches the audience how to crochet dishrags! And later, how will Grandma Michelle deal with five new grandbabies from five of her children due at the same time?? All your grand-quint questions answered!"

But seriously, it's a mental disconnect of many first-generation fundie parents that those old regrets made them who they are. College, early jobs, dating... They expect their teens to have a level of emotional intelligence that doesn't come without experiencing life. I've had friends who were made fun of, actually laughed at, by their parents for not knowing things that the parents prevented them from learning. It's a real blindness of a lot of fundie first-gen parents.

Yes regrets play into fundamentalism. I have a cousin who got his girlfriend pregnant when they were both 17. He was so distraught that he threw himself into a river by our house to try to drown himself. Luckily, our grand dad jumped in and saved him.

He ended up marrying his girlfriend and they slowly became super fundie. They have three kids and all have been expected to court and marry young. Their oldest, now 21, got married at 18. He and his wife went away to college soon afterward and he now claims that he is an athiest on his Facebook page. I guess his kids won't be courting.

Their second child is a very immature 18-year-old who has been courting a guy she met in her homeschool group. They are getting married next month even though neither of them have jobs! He is going to Bible college and she is tagging along as his "helpmate."

Whenever family members ask my cousin how they will support themselves he gets defensive and says that God will work it out. I think the plan is for them to live on campus supported by student loans and spend their summers living with my cousin and his wife until he graduates college.

Yep, the couple may be penniless, but at least they didn't fornicate. Got to love fundie logic.

This is my take on Derick and Jill. Derick is probably fundie-lite or conservative Christian who wanted to do missionary work for a while. He met JB, genuinely liked him and befriended him. He saw Jill and became infatuated. He new the only way to have contact with her was by playing by JB's rules.

He and Jill had probably been courting well before Jessa and Ben were. Formal courtship and engagement announcement were probably postponed because of Derrick's missionary commitment. That explains why nobody knew Jill and Derick were a couple. He was out of the country and hadn't been around the Duggars long enough for anyone to figure it out. Then one of the little girls let it slip on tv, and of course that picture appeared.

With all of this going on, Jessa and Ben began courting. The producers had to make them the feature couple. Then when Derrick's missionary commitment was over they could proceed with a Jill and Derrick storyline with A LOT of heavy creative editing, scripting, and screen staging, and timeline fudging including the trip to Nepal .

This just my theory, and I could be wrong about the whole thing.

I doubt he would be packing heat if he was an accountant for the FBI. I have a dear friend who was a secretary for the FBI at one time. She worked out of the FBI office in our embassies around the world: Havana, Ottawa and Rome where she spent at least 13 years. I can't imagine that Marie's job required her to carry a gun. Btw, Marie was a career girl and never married. I think that's pretty cool!

Also, I don't get vibe that Derick wants to go full on fundie. It's very obvious that he isn't very familiar with that life style, and is only playing along because he loves Jill.

I hope Derrick convinces Jill to leave her cult behind. Once she's married she should live her own life not the life her parents want. Secretly hope one of the Duggar kids turn against their cult. I've heard many stories of people who attended fundie college and grow up in the fundie lifestyle and it made them turn against their parents and everything they believed in.

Archived