IGNORED

Homeschool parents/SIX sons charged with sexual abuse of gir

Ex 2x2

Hello, neighbors!

The only media coverage I've seen have been the reports out of southern Virginia newspapers-- I think there's a link upthread from one of the smaller cities/towns near where it happened. But as the tuner said, this *is* a local story because Eric and his brothers were going into homes all over Wake County building up their businesses. It's very unlikely that they did anything wrong while they were working, but people have a right to know who they are doing business with.

I am really hoping that Triangle media jumps on this when it starts going to trial this fall. The N&O is very careful not to alienate churches, so it will be interesting how they spin it, considering that the whole patriarchal philosophy underpins why any of this happened in the first place.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow :O thanks for the info, snark! certainly interesting to hear perspective from someone who interacted with one of the boys.

i can't find right off, do we know which of the boys came forward? i'm assuming not eric, since it seems like he drank the kool-aid pretty hard.

According to what the tuner told me, Eric and Matt were sharing an apartment and spending a ton of time in Scott Brown's church. Eric confessed his sin to one of the ministers, who told him that because he was a mandatory reporter, he would have to take the information to the police. Matt was on hand as well and chimed in with his own confession, so the minister had to report both men, and that's when authorities stepped in.

I think it's BECAUSE of the kool-aid that this finally unravelled. Eric and Matt were pressured by the minister to confess their sins, and they did just that. This is pure conjecture, but my guess is that they were contemplating their own missing virginity, and felt the need to confess that; when it turned out that their sister was the target, even the fundie minister knew that was not OK. People will only close ranks and protect their own to a point, and this was way over that line.

Hello, neighbors!

The only media coverage I've seen have been the reports out of southern Virginia newspapers-- I think there's a link upthread from one of the smaller cities/towns near where it happened. But as the tuner said, this *is* a local story because Eric and his brothers were going into homes all over Wake County building up their businesses. It's very unlikely that they did anything wrong while they were working, but people have a right to know who they are doing business with.

I am really hoping that Triangle media jumps on this when it starts going to trial this fall. The N&O is very careful not to alienate churches, so it will be interesting how they spin it, considering that the whole patriarchal philosophy underpins why any of this happened in the first place.

IIRC, a reporter from the N & O did an excellent job reporting on the dreadful Sean Paddock case some years ago. So perhaps there's hope the newspaper will also give this case serious attention. As you say, given they were conducting business all over Wake County, it sure as heck looks like a story of huge local interest.

BTW, thank you for your own "reporting."

Archived