IGNORED

Priscilla & David Waller - Pecan Thieves Pregnant Again!

happy atheist

This one:

jx1038M4Fy8

On the glass door behind her and to the left of the china cabinet, there is written in light-colored dry erase marker (or something): A New baby. And below that, maybe a word starting with "th"? I can't tell. You have to watch it pretty big to make it out (like blow all the way up to fullscreen).

Thanks! Wow, good eye, I had watched that one (without sound, I can't handle that, lol), even looking for the words after your comment, and still hadn't noticed it. I see it now, but can't make it out any better than you have. I also can't figure out what exactly it's written on -- maybe a sliding door that is dry-erase, like you said, or one that's covered in chalkboard-paint?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
**I don't treat Priscilla, I have never met Priscilla, and this is by no means should be taken as professional medical advice. Also, I did mainly pediatric and neuro linguistic work, so I'm no expert on adult speech production issues. I am going to stick to very basic stuff.**

Many, many speech production issues are caused by stressful environments. It is well known that stress, pressure, and anxiety can cause people with otherwise normal speech to have speech issues such as non fluid speech, stutters, difficulty producing words/certain sounds, etc. It can also cause language issues such as forgetting words, losing your train of speech (i.e. forgetting where you were going with something), long pauses or excessive sound words (um, uh, like, and), etc. Most people know someone who, while very verbose in person, freezes up when asked to speak publicly.

Pris speaks fine without David. Not perfectly, but there's a camera there and many people don't speak naturally to a camera anyway. David creates an anxious, pressured, and stressful environment for Pris. Pris is so concerned with speaking correctly and not messing up, that she is unable to talk fluidly. Her concern causes the muscles used for speech to tense up, making it physically harder for her even to form the words. The pressure she places on her speech actually makes it more likely that she will make a mistake, which reinforces the pressure, creating a loop. Speech/Language actually takes a lot of brain power and fine motor control to perform. We're just so used to it that we hardly notice. But anything that really eats up your "neuro CPU" will start to impact speech production. Stress/worry/pressure/anxiety are the usual suspects, but they do have to be fairly intense to start to seriously dent performance.

I don't think Pris has any speech issues. It is possible she had some as a child that were never properly treated, but truly and honestly, she looks within the normal range to me (keep in mind that MOST childhood speech production issues will resolve on their own without treatment and that there is evidence that sometimes childhood treatment can be counter productive). I don't think Pris has any language issues.

Honestly, I think Pris's issue is David, and I would send them both to counselling to see WHY THE FUCK David creates an environment that is SO STRESSFUL for Pris that she has speech production problems. Because that is not healthy.

I'm not disagreeing exactly with your expertise, and your qualifiers are noted, but aren't you assuming a lot here with the bolded.

Have you ever heard Priscilla speak off-camera fluently and easily? How can you claim that "Pris speaks fine without David"? Have we ever seen Pris speaking on camera minus David -- fluently or not?

Pris speaks in the approved Michelle baby-voice and she uses Gothard-speak, repetition and all. She also seems slower in uptake than her sisters Anna, or even Esther, in what she says. They can read or remember a script and have proved it. She has difficulties, and it is not just speech issues. Her facial expressions are very anxious. Her content even within Gothard-speak seems ... lacking. Her anxiety is palpable.

David seems to find her performances on camera good enough to put on their blog. Is he the cause of her anxiety and abusive? Not necessarily. Does he seem impatient? Perhaps, but he's not that polished a public speaker himself!

Much as I dislike him, I'm not sure that I'd want to label David as the problem with the slim evidence that we have. Priscilla is sweet and probably a good mother, but seems not to be the sharpest knife in the drawer and clearly has problems expressing herself. That "might" not be all David's fault. He may have married her without realizing that she is not the best public speaker, and that may annoy him.

And that is what is wrong with Gothard-approved marriage practices!

I think the writing might be something like "a new baby (on) the (way)".

I wish the babies would be more spaced out. Priscilla really seems to enjoy her time with Paul, and I think 2 might be a hard adjustment.

I think she is stressed by talking to cameras. Makes me wonder. Are there fundie female toastmaster groups?

I think she is, but I notice in videos of just Pris vs videos of Pris and David there are marked differences. It's totally normal to be nervous to a camera, and honestly, very few people can talk naturally to cameras without classes and training.

So yes, in all videos of Pris, there is a certain awkwardness that is just Pris talking to a camera and not a person. But I don't think in many just Pris videos, people would think she had any speech issues. She's not great at it, but I'd say she's in the average range for camera talking.

However, in Pris and David videos, she seems to have actual trouble speaking. Her mouth is tight, she has marked difficulty forming words, her body language suggests more nervousness/anxiety than in Pris alone features. Her speech is not always fluid when she does talk, and she seems to talk in bursts rather than with the natural flow of conversation. It's as if she can't get words out, then the dam breaks and words spill out, and then suddenly she can't again. She circles around a lot, doesn't always end well (it seems like she frequently loses the point she was going to make even after only a few sentences). I think one of her better videos was the Valentine's one with Paul, because Paul kept distracting her so she had less time to focus on being stressed out.

tl;dr Pris tends to sound a lot more intelligent/normal when she's by herself, and I think that says something about why she sounds so off with Davey.

Are there fundie female toastmaster groups?

Nonsense. Females can't be "masters" of anything. At best, they can be "toasthelpers" or "toastkeepers."

I see it now, but can't make it out any better than you have. I also can't figure out what exactly it's written on -- maybe a sliding door that is dry-erase, like you said, or one that's covered in chalkboard-paint?

It may just be from someone having huffed on a glass "slider" door, then written with a finger, although it looks a bit white for that.

I may be overly influenced by the coincidence of having watched The Lady Vanishes today. :lol:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/5772 ... h-Joy.html

Yup- that's how it happened.

That's my response everytime a fundie we discuss here-Duggar, Schrader, Waller, Maxwell announces a pregnancy. Oh fuck!

Watch the video again and you'll notice that the camera is moving slightly, which suggests that someone (probably David) is behind it, as opposed to it being set up on a tripod. She still seems nervous to me. Maybe slightly less so, since it seems she's more or less getting to speak about what she wants.

Quote from their blog: Friends and family, Paul is going to have a lot more responsibility come mid November 2014 because a little sibling is on the way!

WTF? Isn't he 1 1/2 (maybe 2 by now)? Besides maybe grabbing a new diaper 'to help out,' I can't help but wonder what his new responsibility is going to be? I hope this is just David's weird speech, but that is a weird comment to make.

As for Pris, sounds like she's longing for things the PT can't provide. Thankfully God is working on her heart, but I wonder if there's some concern about David's long term career.

jx1038M4Fy8

She doesn't look like Jesus to me!

In this vid, I thought she looked a lot like Anna which I never noticed or thought before. But, it is painful to hear her speak. I find my mind starts trying to finish her sentences while she's thinking. I need more patience!

Since she never had a proper sex education, if Davey told her the turkey baster is how babies are made, the Pecans may never have had sex.

Babies come from the stork.

I think the writing might be something like "a new baby (on) the (way)"

I think you're right. Maybe this was Priscilla's way of anouncing the pregnancy to David--a bit more sanitary than a damp pee stick tied with a ribbon and left on the bedspread.

Quote from their blog: Friends and family, Paul is going to have a lot more responsibility come mid November 2014 because a little sibling is on the way!

WTF? Isn't he 1 1/2 (maybe 2 by now)? Besides maybe grabbing a new diaper 'to help out,' I can't help but wonder what his new responsibility is going to be? I hope this is just David's weird speech, but that is a weird comment to make.

Yeah Paul just turned 1, so will only be about 20 months when the baby is born. A lot more responsibility? What responsibility does he have now? Poor kid. Her and Anna's 1st 2 babies will be spaced out pretty much the same- 19-20 months.

Slightly off topic - Pecan Thief said in the first video that he and Mrs. Pecan Thief went to Chick-fil-A to celebrate his "major accomplishment" at work. What could possibly be considered a major accomplishment in IBLP HQ?!

Not being fired in the recent upheaval?

The more I watch David and Priscilla's videos, the less convinced I am he's gay. To me he sees like a hyperactive, uneducated fundie metrosexual.

I think it says "A New Baby", although "knew baby" would not surprise me.

I can't watch videos of Priscilla talking. She actually physically struggles to move thoughts from her brain to her lips. I'm sure having David filming and critiquing her doesn't help.

I figured out the reason her speech is so slow and methodical. I truly believe it is affected. She wants to sound like Michelle Duggar. I think she completely idolizes Michelle and I totally see her trying to sound exactly like her.

Davilla is pregnant again? Oh fuck.

Well.. yeah.. that's kind of what you have to do to get pregnant.. there are other ways but this one is the easiest :wink-kitty:

Observations.

Someone said they had a hard time watching Priscilla when she speaks.... I wonder if David does as well and that is part of his demeanor in these videos?

In the Priscilla video, would weeping in your bed at night over your mothering (and wifely) skills be Post Partum Depression? I don't know, so this is a serious question.

The "Father is the glory of the children" bit (if that is what she said...I'm not going back to check) and so mothers need to encourage their children to run to their fathers when they come home....combine this with the few hints we've had that David may not love the father husband role... We've talked about his desires to wait a while longer before he got married--I wonder if he would have liked a different kind of life. I wonder if he wishes, sometimes, for a wife he could have picked based on attraction and common interests instead of feeling pressured to marry, picking a pretty girl his family approved of, and just getting it over with.

I wonder how lonely the lives of these fundies in arranged marriages might be, for both parties, if they turn out to be a poor fit in one or more of the basic things that make a marriage work, ranging from sex to sense of humor to intellect to ambition to whatever. No wonder they have to harp on submission and loving your wife -- if you are in a bad fit relationship, you really would have to work hard to even keep up appearance of a happy life.

Salex, your question about Post Partum Depression is a good one.

And haven't we read that attendance at ATI seminars/classes/conferences whatever has gone way down in the last few years? That plus the Gothard upheaval-- there must be enormous anxiety about the financial future of ATI (and with it, David's job). A general concern that the Gothard Empire will not survive the not-too-distant death of its 79-year-old founder.

Many people on this forum speak of David as a possible successor to Gothard. Surely the thought of inheriting a waning, sex scandal-tainted empire, while supporting a growing family, must weigh on him And if it doesn't, he's dim, delusional, or both.

In the Priscilla video, would weeping in your bed at night over your mothering (and wifely) skills be Post Partum Depression? I don't know, so this is a serious question.

I'm not discounting it as a possibility but I think it's quite normal to have "Oh shit, I really fucked that up today" moments in anything, including (or especially?) parenting. It's also normal to just have moments of self doubt, especially when you've had very concrete ideals taught from birth.

Observations.

Someone said they had a hard time watching Priscilla when she speaks.... I wonder if David does as well and that is part of his demeanor in these videos?

The "Father is the glory of the children" bit (if that is what she said...I'm not going back to check) and so mothers need to encourage their children to run to their fathers when they come home....combine this with the few hints we've had that David may not love the father husband role... We've talked about his desires to wait a while longer before he got married--I wonder if he would have liked a different kind of life. I wonder if he wishes, sometimes, for a wife he could have picked based on attraction and common interests instead of feeling pressured to marry, picking a pretty girl his family approved of, and just getting it over with.

I wonder how lonely the lives of these fundies in arranged marriages might be, for both parties, if they turn out to be a poor fit in one or more of the basic things that make a marriage work, ranging from sex to sense of humor to intellect to ambition to whatever. No wonder they have to harp on submission and loving your wife -- if you are in a bad fit relationship, you really would have to work hard to even keep up appearance of a happy life.

Didn't think of PPD as a possibility over the crying at night but that's a good question and a very real possibility. Poor Pris wouldn't know about it and instead beat herself up because you are supposed to pray the problems away and always strive, strive, strive because you are never good enough.

The more I see of David with Priscilla the more I think he's not happy. I always felt that he was pushed into marriage by his parents and that it was wrong for them to do so. He went with it because it's what you do and perhaps expected it all to magically work out but instead he's finding he doesn't like it and perhaps doesn't have that much in common with Pris either.

I have also thought of how much of a real long shot it must be for fundies to find true happiness within marriage given the severe restrictions for simply finding a spouse. It's hard enough without those restrictions but really I question how many of these couples are really happy over the long haul. Hard to know with all the submission, loving your wife and fake "happy, happy, joy, joy" talk.

I almost feel bad for Davey.

Whatever his sexual preference is, he clearly did NOT want to get married.

He got pressured into marriage, which means he got pressured into at least one kid, and now he's expecting another, when he didn't want ANY of this.

I'm sure he is frustrated seeing as this is not the life he wants to be leading. I'm sure he takes it out on Pris and that's why she cries late at night. I'm sure their marriage is sad and cold. I'm sure he avoids sweet fellowship with Pris because (if for no other reason), he doesn't want to be a family man and doesn't want more kids.

At this point, they can still travel, which David seems to enjoy. But what happens when they have too many kids to travel? Slowly, David is losing everything he wanted in life, and he gets more and more frustrated as that happens.

And Pris is the victim in all this.

And he must be anxious about the changes in Got-hardland, as he has a family to support.

Finally built up the much-needed courage to watch the video and WOW! David didn't clench his jaw once, he clenched it like 5 times. I also really enjoyed him using the words "shocked and surprised" referring to the pregnancy. Made me chuckle.

He reminds me of some of the young men who enter the seminary after high school and, at 18, are willing to forgo a lifetime of women "to serve God."

Archived