IGNORED

Priscilla & David Waller - Pecan Thieves Pregnant Again!

happy atheist

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (here?) that John did not have a job when the Kellers gave their consent for Esther to marry him.They said they knew God would provide for them.

But yes I agree,at the time,he may have been the only prospective husb. for Esther that came along,so they went with it,thinking if they didn't,she may never get married.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think John was an assistant pastor when they married. So in a pretty good position for a young fundie man.

I'm more concerned that Mr Keller's criteria to marry one of his daughters consisted of memorising bible verses in Josh's case and agreeing to leave his family size up to god and his Internet use up to Priscilla in the case of David.

Yes,I think it was really dumb of the Kellers to give their consent,and even their blessing,for Esther to marry John,without him first having a job.My first thought and q would be,"DO YOU HAVE A JOB OR A STEADY INCOME?" And if not,"HOW ARE YOU PLANNING ON SUPPORTING MY DAUGHTER AND ANY OFFSPRING YOU MAY HAVE?"

Common sense.

I would also have req. him to get a job and show he could hold it.IOW ...show me you are willing to work hard to provide for your family! Put your money where your mouth is.

But...but...but...faith/trust/God will provide...

They married a long time ago, maybe he had a job (or ministry or whatever) when they were courting. He might also have been the best option; I don't think the Kellers were a well-known/sought after family prior to Anna becoming a Duggar.

It was also the first courtship for one of their kids, so they were sort of winging it. In fact, it was so long ago and the courtship phenomenon fairly new, so most fundies were blindly stumbling their way through the whole courting thing. The Kellers may have also worried that if they turned down John their daughter would become an "old maid." Mr. Keller doesn't seem like exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, so that probably compounded his inability to vet John. Add to that that their family doesn't seem to have much money, so there was probably a real push to get Esther married off, believing her life would be better for it.

It was also the first courtship for one of their kids, so they were sort of winging it. In fact, it was so long ago and the courtship phenomenon fairly new, so most fundies were blindly stumbling their way through the whole courting thing. The Kellers may have also worried that if they turned down John their daughter would become an "old maid." Mr. Keller doesn't seem like exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, so that probably compounded his inability to vet John. Add to that that their family doesn't seem to have much money, so there was probably a real push to get Esther married off, believing her life would be better for it.

Which is very sad. It is too bad that marriage was seen as her only option, because if there had been a real push to get Esther educated and in a job or career (and that could be anything from Nail Tech or hairdresser to Doctor, as far as I'm concerned) she would not have been a financial drain on her family, could have decided herself if following John in the Pop up was her best and God ordained option.

This whole group is like "Shadow Christians" compared to the people I knew growing up, and at the time I thought I knew some pretty conservative people.

Which is very sad. It is too bad that marriage was seen as her only option, because if there had been a real push to get Esther educated and in a job or career (and that could be anything from Nail Tech or hairdresser to Doctor, as far as I'm concerned) she would not have been a financial drain on her family, could have decided herself if following John in the Pop up was her best and God ordained option.

This whole group is like "Shadow Christians" compared to the people I knew growing up, and at the time I thought I knew some pretty conservative people.

Well, I guess it makes sense, from a fundie persepective anyway, why Esther wound up with John. First courtship for family, courtship being new, concerns about Esther remaining single, tight finances, the whole "God will provide" thing, etc. Still you gotta wonder how concerned the Kellers are (or should be) over their grandchildren living in a pop up, having no permanent home and this whole Zambia nonsense.

At least Pa Keller did a better job for Anna and Pris, smugness and pecan thieving notwithstanding.

Yes. For me the Schrader situation is Exhibit A. in how the patriarchal courtship culture can lead to major problems.

Aside: Has anyone seen video of Esther or interviews with her? I am curious as to her personality and how she is most likely dealing with this situation.

I wonder if Pris and TFDW are going to name all of their kids with P names. They don't want the others to feel left out, ya know.

I wonder if Pris and TFDW are going to name all of their kids with P names. They don't want the others to feel left out, ya know.

Guess we will know come November, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Though one name would be Pecan :lol:

Speaking of pecans we will be traveling through the area of the pecan heist in a couple of weeks. As we drive, Mr. No and I will speculate on which farm was the site of the famous heist. Will probably legally glean a bag from a roadside stand.

I would sure love to hear farmer's side of the story!

y'know how some people have cutsey names for their embryos while it still essentially looks like a blob when it's in utero? imagine if theirs is peanut. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like Davey has managed to dial down his fabulosity a bit.

I hope they don't have too many kids. I'm not sure Pris could cope. She really does strike me as being off in some way.

Looks like Davey has managed to dial down his fabulosity a bit.

I hope they don't have too many kids. I'm not sure Pris could cope. She really does strike me as being off in some way.

Pris has always struck me as off too but not sure if it has to do with real developmental issues (she was a preemie so it's possible) or if it's just a result of her sheltered, "keep sweet" upbringing and it's very odd form of a "keep sweet" mannerism that she's adopted. Or maybe a bit of both. She does strike me as someone who could be overwhelmed with a bunch of kids, particularly if she is prone to feeling that she's not as good as some mothers as evidenced by that painful video.

Regarding David's being less fabulous: wonder if anyone told him to tone it down. Or he's worried about what's going with his employer.

She strikes me as a person who is a bit below average IQ (not quite enough that it's an issue, she does appear to write and is literate in a basic sense) but not enough to have had developmental issues. Couple that with her sheltered life and her SOTDRT education, and she really comes off as a dim bulb. I think if she went to public school she certainly wouldn't have been amongst the brightest, but I think she would have learned how to present herself better.

I think also coupled with someone like David who is more intelligent than she and who is also clearly a better communicator and has more self confidence, she looks dumber than she really is. She is also a nervous wreck when she is speaking with David on videos.

She strikes me as a person who is a bit below average IQ (not quite enough that it's an issue, she does appear to write and is literate in a basic sense) but not enough to have had developmental issues. Couple that with her sheltered life and her SOTDRT education, and she really comes off as a dim bulb. I think if she went to public school she certainly wouldn't have been amongst the brightest, but I think she would have learned how to present herself better.

I think also coupled with someone like David who is more intelligent than she and who is also clearly a better communicator and has more self confidence, she looks dumber than she really is. She is also a nervous wreck when she is speaking with David on videos.

Agree she seems nervous when she's on with David. She glances over frequently and looks worried like she might not be staying on script.

It's a shame as she looks to be a sweet person but her upbringing and SOTDRT did her no favors.

Perhaps they refuse the help, but I don't understand how the Keller kids cannot look at Esther and think "I need to help my sister". God can provide by working through people; they claim this all the time, so why can't he work through them? Anna and Josh could easily help them out. He has a cushy "job" and they made enough from TLC to at least offer some assistance. And the other daughter who left and adopted a baby and has wild hair could help out, too. (Sarah?) In the very least they could offer some clothes or grocery money or an invitation to stay with them for a little while. (Or at least Anna could invite them to stay)

Pa Keller isn't a crappy parent for not helping Esther. (She very well may have refused the help) He's a shitty parent for disowning his children who aren't living the lifestyle HE chose.

Perhaps they refuse the help, but I don't understand how the Keller kids cannot look at Esther and think "I need to help my sister". God can provide by working through people; they claim this all the time, so why can't he work through them? Anna and Josh could easily help them out. He has a cushy "job" and they made enough from TLC to at least offer some assistance. And the other daughter who left and adopted a baby and has wild hair could help out, too. (Sarah?) In the very least they could offer some clothes or grocery money or an invitation to stay with them for a little while. (Or at least Anna could invite them to stay)

Pa Keller isn't a crappy parent for not helping Esther. (She very well may have refused the help) He's a shitty parent for disowning his children who aren't living the lifestyle HE chose.

The one who adopted a baby is a man-Daniel, I think the person you are thinking of is his wife. Think she is called Candice?

They have two daughters who left as well-Suze who is a single mom to a baby girl, and Rebekah who is married to a guy called Josh and has two kids.

Im surprised none of them have helped out-the Kellers have plenty of kids who left fundamentalism. Esther still sees her family, its not like John's got her isolated and they cant see her.

Maybe they have helped as much as they can or perhaps it was refused or maybe they wanted financial assistance to be tied to Johnny Boy getting a job and doing some supporting of his own. Then again maybe they think Esther is doing fine or becoming missionaries is great and worthy.

They all might be helping with things like gift certificates for food or clothes for the kids. In my experience though, super fanatical domineering types like John Schrader tend to see help from family as an insult, or that they are trying to interfere. Gifts for the kids are probably okay, but anything else might be rejected unless he can directly tie it to his fund drive for missionary work. Money and family often lead to arguments and hurt feelings and control issues even without this layer of extremist beliefs.

Purely idle speculation of course.

Also, there have been pictures of Mother Keller cuddling Suzzana(?) daughter, who was born out of wedlock. At some homeschool conference no less! So I don't think they disown the kids who don't agree with them. Probably went through a rocky patch though.

I'm going with Peter for a boy and Patience for a girl, which would be the first time David has patience with Priscilla. :angry-tappingfoot:

I'm going with Peter for a boy and Patience for a girl, which would be the first time David has patience with Priscilla. :angry-tappingfoot:

Touché!

:clap:

Well, I guess it makes sense, from a fundie persepective anyway, why Esther wound up with John. First courtship for family, courtship being new, concerns about Esther remaining single, tight finances, the whole "God will provide" thing, etc. Still you gotta wonder how concerned the Kellers are (or should be) over their grandchildren living in a pop up, having no permanent home and this whole Zambia nonsense.

At least Pa Keller did a better job for Anna and Pris, smugness and pecan thieving notwithstanding.

I think he just got VERY lucky with Anna (Josh noticed her at the concession stand before they had begun filming the series, they had only done the specials and weren't full on fundie celebs) and married her in the first season. That's allowed Anna to have a very comfortable life and given the Kellers visibility and status in the fundie world, allowing Priscilla to get a job leading Journeys to The Heart and attract (to their way of thinking) a better class of suitor in David (who was obviously attracted to the cameras). Without the lucky marriage of Anna I think we'd see Priscilla single or with a struggling "assistant pastor" like John was at marriage. But he would have promised to have eleventy children and let Prissy monitor his Internet use, so all would be fine.

Archived