IGNORED

Jessa Duggar's Courtship - Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Glenwood (population around 2220) such a hotbed of abortion that it needs protesting every Saturday?

It doesn't matter to the anti-abortion nutters! We have a woman here who protests abortions outside our local hospital-that doesn't even do abortions! No woman's clinic here does, you have to drive almost 100 miles away to find a place that does them.

Doesn't matter to her. :(

I about fell off the sofa laughing when Michelle said the rule for courtship in the Duggar household is no touching or handholding. :lol: :lol: I guess they don't want a repeat of all the hand sex Josh and Anna had.

Josh and Anna's handsex didn't take place until they were engaged... so don't worry, it could very well happen again...

The Bates "dating with a purpose" rules are libertine compared to Duggar rules. Lots of pics of the Bates' courting couples holding hands.

And we know that Zach made lots of unchaperoned visits to the Sonic Drive in when Whitney was working there!

Jessa appears soooo cold to me. Does she have no emotions or has the cult compressed them that much?

I think it's just her personality. I also noticed she doesn't like being hugged or touched by people too much. It's not as obvious as with Jana, but I think she's a bit shy too and doesn't enjoy all this attention.

I think it's just her personality. I also noticed she doesn't like being hugged or touched by people too much. It's not as obvious as with Jana, but I think she's a bit shy too and doesn't enjoy all this attention.

That's what I think too. She seems uncomfortable with all of the attention. I can't say I blame her. I wouldn't want the world to watch me date/court.

I still have hope for Jessa after her reaction towards her mother when they were preparing for the flea market. It seems Jessa doesn't completely let her headship/guardians/what have you walk totally all over her. Here's to hoping she does the same with Ben.

I don't remember this. What happened?

My first post here. :)

I watched the interview on the Duggar blog, and I really think Jill needs to chill a little - I get that she is the most outgoing and talkative, but seriously, she was interrupting everyone. I wanted to hear what Jana had to say and she totally cut her off. She seems to do it often.

I think Jessa and Ben are cute together, and I think from his pics on Twitter, they seem to be more comfortable and in love as time goes on - way more comfortable than in the episode last night of course. That had to be really awkward!

My first post here. :)

I watched the interview on the Duggar blog, and I really think Jill needs to chill a little - I get that she is the most outgoing and talkative, but seriously, she was interrupting everyone. I wanted to hear what Jana had to say and she totally cut her off. She seems to do it often.

I think Jessa and Ben are cute together, and I think from his pics on Twitter, they seem to be more comfortable and in love as time goes on - way more comfortable than in the episode last night of course. That had to be really awkward!

Welcome!

They also have convinced themselves that any two people can make a marriage work if they believe the same thing and follow the gender roles exactly. Even in fundy-lite/evangelical world I heard sermons directed at teens about how compatibility is not even a real factor in marriage and if you think it is, you are just headed for divorce before you even get married.

And if it isn't working, it is because one or both of you are doing it wrong. In hard core fundy world, the wife is doing it wrong. In fundy-lite/evangelical world, it is more likely to be both.

My cousin who is catholic believes romance and attraction have no place in a marriage. According to him, it creates unrealistic expectations and enforces selfish desires.

That's what I think too. She seems uncomfortable with all of the attention. I can't say I blame her. I wouldn't want the world to watch me date/court.

Jessa does act like an "untouchable". She, also, admitted (as Michelle and Ben supported) as being head strong and opinionated. Ben, even, added he thought she'd help him or lead him (something like that!). Wow. So, Jessa is portrayed as a bitch, Ben says he likes that character trait and Michelle admits to being aware of it! Awesome. What happened to instilling in your children Gothard's gazillion character traits from the chart and keeping sweet to your headship, Michelle and JimBob???

Having the cameras along would be awkward for any "court-shipping" couple. Those scenes were very uncomfortable to watch, never mind live it! Also, why did Ben ask for permission to court Jessa in a small office room? Didn't the Bateses courtships involve a pretty setting with flowers, etc.?

The Bateses' courtship proposals make me want to gag. I'm sorry, they're just so completely over-the-top, ridiculous, and sickeningly sappy. If that's what someone likes, fine, but not everyone likes that. It's weird, a lot of people on Free Jinger rail against enforced gender stereotypes, but now that Jessa's not adhering to the stereotype that woman just love flowers and hearts and romance and unicorns, something's wrong?

I think a slight upgrade from Jim Bob's office, Jessa in bare feet, and the requestor clutching a big white cup like a security blanket would be nice. A walk in front or back or the house without Jim Bob and Michelle in autohover would have been fine for me.

The Bateses' courtship proposals make me want to gag. I'm sorry, they're just so completely over-the-top, ridiculous, and sickeningly sappy. If that's what someone likes, fine, but not everyone likes that. It's weird, a lot of people on Free Jinger rail against enforced gender stereotypes, but now that Jessa's not adhering to the stereotype that woman just love flowers and hearts and romance and unicorns, something's wrong?

Jess seems strong willed and doesn't seem to drink the koolaid. I bet if she does marry she will have control over her vagina and won't be a housewife.

Jess seems strong willed and doesn't seem to drink the koolaid. I bet if she does marry she will have control over her vagina and won't be a housewife.

I hope you are right! Time will tell.

Being a housewife doesn't mean you're weak. There are plenty of strong, independent women who are housewives. Just because she hasn't adopted her families views on a perfect woman, it doesn't limit her to working outside the home.

If she wants to stay at home, good for her.

I think a slight upgrade from Jim Bob's office, Jessa in bare feet, and the requestor clutching a big white cup like a security blanket would be nice. A walk in front or back or the house without Jim Bob and Michelle in autohover would have been fine for me.

I can't figure out why that stupid white cup bothers me so much. But it stuck out as so odd to me!

Love your choice of word- "requestor"- clutching a big white cup like a security blanket---priceless!

Being a housewife doesn't mean you're weak. There are plenty of strong, independent women who are housewives. Just because she hasn't adopted her families views on a perfect woman, it doesn't limit her to working outside the home.

If she wants to stay at home, good for her.

Housewife in fundie terms. Meaning popping out babies every few months and having sex at the drop of a hat when your husband wants you to.

The endless styrofoam cups of the Duggars drive me crazy. The county should put its smelly landfill in their damn front yard since they contribute so much to it. They've got over a DOZEN bleeding children who old enough to be competent to wash glasses. Or load/unload their big commercial sized dishwasher.

Archived