IGNORED

Vision Forum Now Closing, Doug Phillips Still a Tool-Part 2

happy atheist

The latest from Doug himself, on the VFM page:

Clarification on Resignation

by Douglas Phillips, Esq., November 14, 2013

I would like to express my gratitude for the great kindness so many have shown to my family in the wake of my stepping down as president of Vision Forum Ministries. My family has been greatly encouraged by many loving notes we have received. With that in mind, I want to be so very clear about the rightness of this transition, and I want to clear up some matters which have been brought to my attention. My sin has resulted in great pain within the Body of Christ, some confusion, and has given the enemies of God reason to rejoice. This is heartbreaking to me. Some have suggested that my sin was not sufficiently serious to step down. Let me be clear: it absolutely does merit my resignation. My resignation is sincere and necessary given the weightiness of my sin. Some reading the words of my resignation have questioned if there was an inappropriate physical component with an unmarried woman. There was, and it was intermittent over a period of years. The local church, not the Internet, is the proper forum for overseeing the details of a man’s repentance, but I just want to be clear for the sake of peace within the Body of Christ, that the tragic events we are experiencing, including the closing of Vision Forum Ministries are my fault, and that I am sincere that I should not be in leadership, but must spend this season of my life quietly walking a path of proven repentance. Please pray for the Phillips family, the Board, and the men who have made up the staff of Vision Forum Ministries.

Doug Phillips

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, you forgot someone there, Doug (Phillips is a tool): the woman with whom you had that 'inappropriate physical component.'

"Some reading the words of my resignation have questioned if there was an inappropriate physical component with an unmarried woman. There was, and it was intermittent over a period of years. "

:shock:

So the truth is slowly coming out. For now, as of 11/14, he still did not know the woman in a biblical sense. But he admits to an "inappropriate physical component." It's like pulling teeth with this guy. How long will he drag this out before we know the full truth??

I would submit that, depending on the age of the victim and other relevant circumstances, local law enforcement is the proper forum for overseeing the details of this particular man's "repentance."

In your dreams, Doug (Phillips is a Tool). When you put yourself out there to the WORLD as the supreme example of Biblical manhood and fatherhood, for over a decade, the WORLD is going to fucking call you on it when you cheat on your wife. Sucks to be you.

:violin:

ETA: I'm not an "enemy of God". YOU ARE.

I am reading "inappropriate physical component" as meaning a lot of things but I suspect we probably aren't going to get much more out of Dougie on this one.

I honestly don't want to know the details. He cheated on his wife and however he defines "biblical" is up to him. The amount of detail provided in the Kenneth Starr report that Monica Lewinsky provided was disgusting and I hope to never have to read that kind of stuff again.

But, Doug Phillips, you are a Tool. Apologize to the woman and her family (because, she has one just like you do). Pray for her and encourage others to, too.

And my guess is he's in some serious legal trouble. He should probably just shut up for now, but I guess continuing to post explanations somehow makes him think it furthers his repentence. What I'd like to think is that the ministry is playing him like a puppet and forcing him to continue to provide details. Who really knows, though?

I'm seeing some commentors on various blogs trying to rein in speculation about the woman's age--while I get the concern about spreading possibly inaccurate info and understand WonderinginWA's view, I also have to think that Dougie (who is still, apparently, using his tool) could clear all of this up very quickly. He has the ability to stop much of the rumor-spreading and possibly unfounded accusations by simply telling the world what he did, and allowing the healing process to begin. As long as there is concern about her age, people will wonder and worry (justifiably, I believe), and all the scolding and hand-slapping on the interwebz will not stop it.

ETA: I don't think WonderinginWA is scolding or hand-slapping--I was referring more to the blogs that are covering the story than FJ.

Notice no one is praying for the victim.... / other woman. I suspect she can hear the bus coming now. ANd, Doug, don't give yourself extra credit, vast members of the Body of Christ have never heard of you.

I honestly don't want to know the details. He cheated on his wife and however he defines "biblical" is up to him. The amount of detail provided in the Kenneth Starr report that Monica Lewinsky provided was disgusting and I hope to never have to read that kind of stuff again.

I don't want to know the details either also remembering the "salicious details" (per Starr) made known during the whole Monica scandal.

Also want to clarify that my comment above about not getting any more information from Dougie about what happened is not because I want to know. I just think he's not going to elaborate and will deliberately keep it vague, for whatever reasons and there may be many.

Doug Phillips is a tool. And his latest little posting just shows that not only is he a tool, he is also a control freak to boot. Tool, you resigned... so GO AWAY! Your little blog post simply helped to confirm what most of us were already suspecting. Oh, and you also look like a troll... just saying.

So now he writes another letter and confesses that there has been inappropriate physical contact? Wow. Just wow.

I really wonder who, behind the scenes, is making him write this letter, where new information is included. It has to be somebody else, because I think that Doug would prefer to just leave the publicity and try to forget as quickly as possible.

Who is twisting his arm?

Also, not one word directed to the woman, no apologies, no asking for prayers for her. He is a tool.

And I am waiting for the next letter... and the next... and eventually he will confess that it was a man. Or five. And he enjoyed every minute of it.

Not sure anyone is making him write letters but I think his ego is. He's getting trashed left and right by his VF colleagues, homeschooling families, on the internet, in sermons, everywhere.

It's got to be a really new experience to go from being on the level of God (because no mistake, Dougie was worshipped more than the Almighty) to being the devil incarnate and I think he can't help himself but to say / write something in an attempt to control the criticism / gossip going on.

Not sure anyone is making him write letters but I think his ego is. He's getting trashed left and right by his VF colleagues, homeschooling families, on the internet, in sermons, everywhere.

It's got to be a really new experience to go from being on the level of God (because no mistake, Dougie was worshipped more than the Almighty) to being the devil incarnate and I think he can't help himself but to say / write something in an attempt to control the criticism / gossip going on.

I agree... the Tool's ego is his own worst enemy here. He just can't stand that people are talking about him. He needs to make himself relevant somehow. Hence, more toolery is taking place. Doug Phillips is a tool!

I think it's unlikely that he'll make a comeback. Jimmy Swaggart may have, but he never regained the level of fame he had before. Jim Bakker is practically a persona non gratia in the evangelical world; in fact, he's still paying off the people and institutions he bilked in the 1980s. The standard quiverfull people have for each other are so high, that there's not much you can do when you fail to meet them. To me, the real problem is the Doug Wilsons of the world who cling to patriarchy even tighter as a result of the scandal.

And now Kim C has weighed in...

inashoe.com/2013/11/30-days-of-thanks-day-13-vision-forum/

I just about gagged reading this. :roll:

If anyone would like some comic relief, just read this sentence a little more closely: "He has worked and rubbed elbows and even crossed swords a few times with men who love the Lord with their whole hearts, and this has had a deep effect on him."

If anyone would like some comic relief, just read this sentence a little more closely: "He has worked and rubbed elbows and even crossed swords a few times with men who love the Lord with their whole hearts, and this has had a deep effect on him."

Great catch! :laughing-rolling:

Doug Phillips is a tool.

I think it's unlikely that he'll make a comeback. Jimmy Swaggart may have, but he never regained the level of fame he had before. Jim Bakker is practically a persona non gratia in the evangelical world; in fact, he's still paying off the people and institutions he bilked in the 1980s. The standard quiverfull people have for each other are so high, that there's not much you can do when you fail to meet them. To me, the real problem is the Doug Wilsons of the world who cling to patriarchy even tighter as a result of the scandal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he attempts to make a comeback, but do agree that like Swaggart and Bakker, it will never be the same for him. Once you place yourself on a pedestal among people with such astronomical personal expectations for themselves and others and tout yourself as the most godly of them all, you will never recover once fallen.

Even though Dougie is not as well known by mainstream folks like Swaggart and Bakker were, one difference for Dougie is it's the internet age and all can be known by a google search. If this were mid-80's back when Bakker was caught, Dougie might have actually skated by without people outside of VF even knowing because all it might hit were local papers. There weren't the websites, blogs, forums, etc. out there all picking up and discussing this thing. So if Dougie wants to start anew, he's going to have a tough time recruiting new followers who can't find out about his shenanigans, maybe only the non-internet saavy or the total deniers (think flat earther types).

I predict a new profession for Doug. He should be quite successful as a car salesman.

(That seems to be the career path for the majority of "fallen" preachers).

So, while he made that video...

And what a video.

OT from the main discussion of this thread, but I found it interesting that Dougie is willing to pay extra fare (for ALL those people) to avoid an airport with the backscatter scanners? I know some people worry about radiation or someone saving pics but I guess the normal alternative of "let the airport personnel feel you up" is also unacceptable to him?

Then he says he has bad breath. Well yeah, if it's been 2+ days of eating and not brushing teeth/washing face. Does he not realize that airports sell toothbrushes and toothpaste? And that there are sinks in the bathroom? Heck, does he not think ahead and carry some small (TSA size okay!) tube of paste and toothbrush with him from home in his backpack? (Seems at least one of the women did!)

I mean, he's supposedly such the experienced intrepid traveller and all...

Oops, you forgot someone there, Doug (Phillips is a tool): the woman with whom you had that 'inappropriate physical component.'

WOW. No kidding. That's about the most classless thing I've read in a while. Mentioning other people specifically but leaving her out? That's low, Doug.

Meanwhile I guess we now know the woman wasn't married.

Yeah. He still has a big enough ego to think that he can fix this. And no one with a clearer head is sticking by him enough to give him the proper advice to "log off of the Internet for a week or so." So he just keeps digging.

And what a video.

OT from the main discussion of this thread, but I found it interesting that Dougie is willing to pay extra fare (for ALL those people) to avoid an airport with the backscatter scanners? I know some people worry about radiation or someone saving pics but I guess the normal alternative of "let the airport personnel feel you up" is also unacceptable to him?

Then he says he has bad breath. Well yeah, if it's been 2+ days of eating and not brushing teeth/washing face. Does he not realize that airports sell toothbrushes and toothpaste? And that there are sinks in the bathroom? Heck, does he not think ahead and carry some small (TSA size okay!) tube of paste and toothbrush with him from home in his backpack? (Seems at least one of the women did!)

I mean, he's supposedly such the experienced intrepid traveller and all...

I saved the video, JIC. Is that Liberty leaning on Doug in the beginning? She really does look like Lourdes.

And now Kim C has weighed in...

inashoe.com/2013/11/30-days-of-thanks-day-13-vision-forum/

I just about gagged reading this. :roll:

Ugh, yes. I've been checking her blog every day to see when she'd finally talk about it. And she's not talking about it directly, which is okay (nobody is under any obligation to talk about their personal lives on the internet), but the tone of what she did post just doesn't sit right with me. I guess it makes me scared that anything VF followers might learn from this (even big know-it-all heads of religious companies aren't infallible, maybe your standards about marriage and relationships are messed up, etc.) is going to get swept under the rug and those VF families who aren't big names within the organization will just carry on without even considering that the patriarchal VF bullshit might not be the ideal way to live and to raise your children. It's positivity bias, or just plain denial- all they'll remember of this is ten years of fun warehouse memories.

There's a part of me that thinks it's too bad Perry's out of a job (I think?) but then there's a bigger part of me that thinks the Coghlans will just find another organization with shinier catalogs of shinier toys and even more charismatic personalities in charge. And f*** that nonsense.

I am reading "inappropriate physical component" as meaning a lot of things but I suspect we probably aren't going to get much more out of Dougie on this one.

"Inappropriate physical component"--way to totally depersonalize your victim. It makes it sound as though he put the wrong sized tires on her car or something.

Doug Phillips: more than a tool. What an asshole.

ETA: note that he feels in necessary to apologize to the men of Vision Forum. No apology to his victim, no apology to the women of Vision Forum. Guess women really don't have any standing in his world.

"Inappropriate physical component"--way to totally depersonalize your victim. It makes it sound as though he put the wrong sized tires on her car or something.

Doug Phillips: more than a tool. What an asshole.

Yep, he's made it antiseptic. Non-emotional. Doug Phillips is a tool. An assholed tool.

Archived