IGNORED

Vision Forum Now Closing, Doug Phillips Still a Tool-Part 2

happy atheist

Fundies have a way to stop one another from asking too many questions. " Don't gossip, don't judge, only god is perfect, don't question authority, you're being emotional, hard hearted, you don't know what is in his heart..." These restrictions make it far more likely that a cult leader stays in power. Although we have been taught to think of gossip as always negative, it can have a positive benefit. Sometimes people need to understand that their feelings and doubts aren't isolated; other people might have felt the same way about a leader because the leader is at fault. Doug probably depended on the fact that his followers would feel compelled to not ask too many questions. What he forgot was that he is now a public figure. Those of us outside his little world can judge him and have no guilt about doing so.
David Wegener is throwing a hissy fit on the Bayly Blog because the Aquila Report was supposedly "squealing with delight" at Dougie’s fall: "All that was missing were emoticons of shaking heads, clucking sounds, and 'meows'… Why are links like this being posted on the Aquila Report? Why are so many of the articles by women?"

baylyblog.com/blog/2013/11/whats-aquila-report

I'm all but drooling in anticipation of more comments.

QFT.

"Gossip" is something 1950s housewives do over tea while their husbands are at work. It's very private because it only occurs in the private sphere because women aren't allowed in the public sphere, so they open the door to their empty house, move quickly to their friend's house (out in public! out in public!) and then the information that they share... that's called "gossip". What their husbands are sharing at work isn't gossip, you'll note.

"Gossip" is information that isn't confirmed by the *coughMALEcough* authorities. In most spheres that would mean legal authorities or scientific authorities but in this world it's the cult leaders.

Which means that "gossip" may be entirely true, but you're not allowed to hear it because it hasn't been approved by the leaders as part of their almighty plan.

When you're living in a tyrannical regime, gossip is the underground dissemination of inconvenient information, and it's fucking dangerous to their power, and they KNOW it.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone tell me how to change the slogan that was chosen for me by the stie. It says Your All Going to Hell. That certainly is not true and I don't want it to show as my avitar!

Can anyone tell me how to change the slogan that was chosen for me by the stie. It says Your All Going to Hell. That certainly is not true and I don't want it to show as my avitar!

Don't worry - that's autogenerated and will change depending on how many posts you have written.

Welcome, I enjoyed your first contribution!

Prepare for an announcement that VFI is shutting down. If you go to their website and click around on products, about 90% of them say "Discontinued". There may be a chance that they go to a download only model, as those seem to be the few products still available.

Yes, even their 2014 catalog is now "discontinued".

I think the VF brand is too damaged among its key demographic. At this point, I'd be surprised if they can unload their unsold inventory.

Yes, even their 2014 catalog is now "discontinued".

Interesting, it all seems to be coming down doesn't it.

I was just randomly clicking on stuff in their homeschool tab and came across this gem of a book about David Livingston. Here is the description:

David Livingstone for Young Readers

This children’s story about David Livingstone gives a brief overview of the famous missionary and explorer’s life. David Livingstone went to Africa to bring the story of Christ to the Dark Continent’s lost peoples. He was often lonely, and faced many dangers, including a lion attack. He was a brave man, but he learned that the bravest One of all was the Lord Jesus Christ.

This place can't go under fast enough.

Douglas Wilson's books have been discontinued on the Vision Forum site. Hey, Doug-- can you hear me cackling? 'Cause I am the cacklingest cackler who ever cackled!

Doug was what led me to FJ. I don't know how I first stumbled across Jens Gems but I was amazed and horrified at the same time that in this day and age anyone could treat women the way they were described as being treated in her story. And it didn't seem to match with the beautiful image he presented on his blog. I was particularly fascinated by the lives of his children (especially his daughters) growing up in this bizarre atmosphere of privilege and repression. I hope that this will open the eyes of the girls to what the system is really like.

From Doug I spread out to some other fundies. I found it interesting to see this morning that Melissa Niednagel has pinned to a "To Listen" board Scott Brown's sermon "The Smell of Apostasy".

I love Jordan's latest Facebook post: "A Basic Biblical Principle: Never, ever use email to attempt to resolve any significant conflict." Yeah, and remember the Peter and Judas Twitter feud? Really embarrassing!

DomWack Troll, I miss the ol' sippy cup avatar!

I could download the catalog no problem.

If it goes on clearance, we should start a kickstart to buy up what's left of VF and burn it all.

I have read all the stuff about Doug Phillips and am HORRIFIED! I am a Christian, I am a homescholer and although (thankfully) I read their stuff and fell under the "perfect family" spell for a short time, God brought me to a place years ago to throw his stuff away because I just felt he was living lavishly and always asking for money. I was like, "Hey, most homeschoolers I know are living very simply to homeschool and look at your clothing , vacations and such and you want money from us?" But I would of never, ever thought he would have done this. I had NO IDEA about JenGems (thank you Jen for writing all that stuff) and how he really was. No idea, or I would have never bought one book! I really think most homeschoolers had no idea of what he really believes. His books certainly don't suggest it! They make reference to some of it but it is sugar coated. I really, really think the poor girl that was his nanny is the victim. After I found out I did searches and figured out all the pages on vision forum mentioning her came up as not there except the graduation page. She is missing from the internet, this is before vision forum ministries shut down. And precious lady, If you are reading this, wont mention her name, you are a victim of abuse. Please, please, see that this is NOT what the bible says. It is a hoax! Please know you are precious and a victim! I am so stinking mad at this guy And now I am called an enemy of God for being mad? Doug, if you are reading this, which I think you are as this site shows up first page on google when I searched your name, I have this to say. You have deceived many, but none more than this girl. You should be ashamed and not once, not once, have I heard you apologize to HER? I have heard you speak. I have heard you shame other christians who are not as pure as you..all the while you are shaming this girl? I do judge you. You should be apologizing to her!!!! I do know there is forgiveness in Jesus so apologize to the one you hurt the most! I am not an enemy of Christ. He is my Lord and Savior. Not to follow people like you but Him. His gospel is different than those. He desires mercy not sacrifice. And not that it matters to me or God, but just so you know, my husband agrees 100 percent!

Welcome, jeweles555! Thank you for an impressive first post. Don't worry--once you've made five posts you'll magically turn into a Bathroom Baby!

Just keep posting, jeweles555 -- the "You're All Going to Hell" title goes particularly well for those users who register here simply to post a handslappy post and disappear back into the interwebs. You'll be a Bathroom Baby in no time! Welcome!

Lest we forget that Doug Phillips is the tooliest tool that ever tooled, take a gander at this: visionforum.com/browse/product/family-strategies-collection-download/default.aspx

Yes, The Tool's all-important Family Strategies collection is still available for sale! And it's a download, so infinite supplies are available!

Last night one of my friends brought up Pat Robinson. I then said he was on the same level as Doug Philips and explained the current situation. My friend had no idea that this had happened. I think that the word is slowly spreading to those outside of the culture.

visionforum.com/browse/product/family-strategies-collection-download/default.aspx

I went to look at this and must download - I dont have any strategy for the hard-cuttin mess of jive talk those hepcat young kids have been unleashing on me and daddy-o......

in other news this little implosion has been amazing to watch but Doug Phillips remains a tool

I have read all the stuff about Doug Phillips and am HORRIFIED! I am a Christian, I am a homescholer and although (thankfully) I read their stuff and fell under the "perfect family" spell for a short time, God brought me to a place years ago to throw his stuff away because I just felt he was living lavishly and always asking for money. I was like, "Hey, most homeschoolers I know are living very simply to homeschool and look at your clothing , vacations and such and you want money from us?" But I would of never, ever thought he would have done this. I had NO IDEA about JenGems (thank you Jen for writing all that stuff) and how he really was. No idea, or I would have never bought one book! I really think most homeschoolers had no idea of what he really believes. His books certainly don't suggest it! They make reference to some of it but it is sugar coated. I really, really think the poor girl that was his nanny is the victim. After I found out I did searches and figured out all the pages on vision forum mentioning her came up as not there except the graduation page. She is missing from the internet, this is before vision forum ministries shut down. And precious lady, If you are reading this, wont mention her name, you are a victim of abuse. Please, please, see that this is NOT what the bible says. It is a hoax! Please know you are precious and a victim! I am so stinking mad at this guy And now I am called an enemy of God for being mad? Doug, if you are reading this, which I think you are as this site shows up first page on google when I searched your name, I have this to say. You have deceived many, but none more than this girl. You should be ashamed and not once, not once, have I heard you apologize to HER? I have heard you speak. I have heard you shame other christians who are not as pure as you..all the while you are shaming this girl? I do judge you. You should be apologizing to her!!!! I do know there is forgiveness in Jesus so apologize to the one you hurt the most! I am not an enemy of Christ. He is my Lord and Savior. Not to follow people like you but Him. His gospel is different than those. He desires mercy not sacrifice. And not that it matters to me or God, but just so you know, my husband agrees 100 percent!

To the bolded, I have very often wondered how people who buy into VF/VFM don't see this, and was interesting to hear your take on that and how you came to your conclusions. Doug and his family take VFM money and co on fancy trips with some elite in the inner circle, play dress-up in fancy costumes (which clearly the average homeschooling family is not going to have the money for), film it all and then go around and sell it as a DVD on VF for the typical homeschooling family to buy. Why more people who buy-in into it and don't see it for what it was has always confused me. Hopefully now that all about VF that is coming to light, people will think more about these types of organizations and really start to see them for what they are, a way for a person to make money.

Lest we forget that Doug Phillips is the tooliest tool that ever tooled, take a gander at this: visionforum.com/browse/product/family-strategies-collection-download/default.aspx

Yes, The Tool's all-important Family Strategies collection is still available for sale! And it's a download, so infinite supplies are available!

Do you have to pay for the download, though? I refuse to give the TOOL! one red cent of my hard-earned money.

DomWack Troll, I miss the ol' sippy cup avatar!

I could download the catalog no problem.

If it goes on clearance, we should start a kickstart to buy up what's left of VF and burn it all.

PnC, they disappeared it off the internetz, I guess! Petey got scrubbed. Or scrubbed himself.

PnC, they disappeared it off the internetz, I guess! Petey got scrubbed. Or scrubbed himself.

Can you tell us who's in your new avatar?

Can you tell us who's in your new avatar?

Elizabeth Hubbard and Martha Byrne, who played Lucinda and Lily Walsh on As the World Turns.

Don't worry - that's autogenerated and will change depending on how many posts you have written.

Welcome, I enjoyed your first contribution!

What Clementine said. (If I remember correctly, it changes once you have 5 posts). I think forum members voted on those phrases, and that one might have be based on the idea that a fair number of people would come here and register and their first few - and maybe only, because they wouldn't stay long - posts would be telling the forum members that "you're all going to hell".

Wouldn't have been my personal choice, but majority rule or something like that. You are not the first poster to come here and notice that and be concerned by it.

Again, welcome. Glad your eyes were opened about VF.

To the bolded, I have very often wondered how people who buy into VF/VFM don't see this, and was interesting to hear your take on that and how you came to your conclusions. Doug and his family take VFM money and co on fancy trips with some elite in the inner circle, play dress-up in fancy costumes (which clearly the average homeschooling family is not going to have the money for), film it all and then go around and sell it as a DVD on VF for the typical homeschooling family to buy. Why more people who buy-in into it and don't see it for what it was has always confused me. Hopefully now that all about VF that is coming to light, people will think more about these types of organizations and really start to see them for what they are, a way for a person to make money.

The Doug Phillips Is A Tool Pyramid Scheme. Only the folks at the top enjoy the speed boat, convertible and McMansion (they hypothetical...in reality it was the vacations, costume parties and special events). They depend on the folks the dupe into buying their "vision" to make the guys at the top rich.

visionforum.com/browse/product/history-of-america-study-course/default.aspx?a=601114

Interesting, they are now discontinuing the video they put together from this summer's History of America Mega Conference......

I suspect "home schooling tools" that came from the VFM trips/conferences will soon be discontinued as well.

Archived