IGNORED

Best & Worst Fundie Wedding Dresses

MissBitters

Simple and classic beats hoochie mama ho any day.

I know I posted it in the thread about Jessa's courtship, but I am in love with this gown and it's seriously my dream gown in every way. I just now need a reason to wear it.

6373fa1bf2667a33f4f6be3019fc22d5.jpg

It's beautiful, it's not hoochie mama, and really, it's quite modest all things considered. I mean, at least modest in my opinion and modest enough for me. :D I'm not too into modesty panels and such, but I understand why fundies feel they need to wear them (though hate when they ruin a dress).

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I posted it in the thread about Jessa's courtship, but I am in love with this gown and it's seriously my dream gown in every way. I just now need a reason to wear it.

It's beautiful, it's not hoochie mama, and really, it's quite modest all things considered. I mean, at least modest in my opinion and modest enough for me. :D I'm not too into modesty panels and such, but I understand why fundies feel they need to wear them (though hate when they ruin a dress).

It's beautiful! And will look great in photos in the future.

I got distracted on Christopher Maxwell's site by some of the strangest photos I've ever seen.

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/0939.jpg - a giant fan in the middle of a doorway. I know the kind of photo he was going for - they're all over pinterest - but you don't take a picture of the bridal party getting ready while there's a giant fan in the way!

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/1867.jpg - a picture of someone's point-and-shoot camera...

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/2476.jpg - he seems to love ridiculous camera angles. There are several in the Josh/Lexi album that are like this.

Oof.

I haven't finished this thread yet but I had to reply to this. I agree with you completely. He is an absolutely terrible photographer. It looks like he's trying to be artsy but he is failing miserably at it. Some of those pics actually hurt my eyes to look at.

That is a gorgeous gown.

You know who I love that you might like? Claire Pettibone. Go to youtube and put in "Claire Pettibone SS 13". It's the prettiest bridal runway show I've ever seen; the models are barefoot and walking on a carpet of rose petals. Her gowns are filmy and ethereal without being too immodest, and she blends in soft touches of color. Old-fashioned and kind of modern/unique at the same time.

{image}

I think the biggest problem is that fundies usually won't spend money on a wedding dress. I've saw some gorgeous modest (mormon) wedding dresses, but fundies never buy these. I don't think a fundy would buy a Rosa Clara dress either ($3-5K). I'm pretty in love with Rosa Clara dresses and quite a few are pretty modest.

My own wedding dress was pretty modest in the front, the back was an open keyhole that could have easily been covered in lace. It's also a pretty trendy dress right now on pinterest and yet I haven't saw a fundy wear one (I assume because it's over $200).

J1399.jpgMaggie-Sottero-Bernadette-Back.lightgoldunderlay-751x1024-large.jpg

Another big problem is that fundies have super quick engagements. There's not enough time (let alone money) to have a dress specially made or altered.

Beautiful!!!!

I haven't finished this thread yet but I had to reply to this. I agree with you completely. He is an absolutely terrible photographer. It looks like he's trying to be artsy but he is failing miserably at it. Some of those pics actually hurt my eyes to look at.

I had initially planned to ignore the photography and focus on the wedding details but the fan just blew me away (har har). It's been days and I'm still astounded by it.

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/0939.jpg

It looks like a still from a bad infomercial or something.

Has he found the view finder yet? That's a worse picture than I would take and I'm a lousy photographer.

I had initially planned to ignore the photography and focus on the wedding details but the fan just blew me away (har har). It's been days and I'm still astounded by it.

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/0939.jpg

It looks like a still from a bad infomercial or something.

Wow...that is awful. What was he thinking? I can't see anyone wanting to preserve that moment in the wedding album.

That is a gorgeous gown.

You know who I love that you might like? Claire Pettibone. Go to youtube and put in "Claire Pettibone SS 13". It's the prettiest bridal runway show I've ever seen; the models are barefoot and walking on a carpet of rose petals. Her gowns are filmy and ethereal without being too immodest, and she blends in soft touches of color. Old-fashioned and kind of modern/unique at the same time.

Oh I do, wow! Those are gorgeous.

OK, I just looked at the most recent wedding on Christopher Maxwell's site. I shouldn't have, but unfortunately, what has been seen cannot be unseen. :shock: :shock:

The groom looks old enough to be the bride's father. Actually, her father looks a little younger than her husband. The pictures of them kissing are totally squicking me OUT. :disgust:

Carry on.

ETA: sorry if someone already mentioned this earlier in the thread and I missed it or forgot

10921954-646714.jpg

original_sophia-tolli-y1929-emilie.jpg&w=428&h=428&zc=2

That was my wedding dress, not me in it, obviously. The lacy top part came with it. I didn't want a strapless dress, and this one was perfect. Plus I got it on clearance.

bucherwum...Your dress is beautiful: elegant and classy! Reminds me of Princess Kate's. I hope more women go for this look rather than the hoochie-coochie mama look.

Is it just me, or is it starting to feel a bit like slut shaming in here? It's one thing to say that the current crop of strapless dresses are going to look dated in 10-20 years just like any other wedding dress trend, but hoochie mama?

Is it just me, or is it starting to feel a bit like slut shaming in here? It's one thing to say that the current crop of strapless dresses are going to look dated in 10-20 years just like any other wedding dress trend, but hoochie mama?

No one's saying that about just strapless dresses in general. It was in reference specifically to some of the dresses Pnina Tornai designs that are featured on TLC's show Say Yes To The Dress.

If someone is wearing what is basically Swarovski crystal-studded, see-through lingerie in public, let alone walking down the aisle of a church or a synagogue, yeah, I'm going to use the term hoochie mama. And I'm not exaggerating, some of her dresses are just that - see-through corsets with some semblance of a skirt. Or what looks like a slinky nightgown with a huge crystal butterfly on the ass of the dress. You get the idea.

No one's saying that about just strapless dresses in general. It was in reference specifically to some of the dresses Pnina Tornai designs that are featured on TLC's show Say Yes To The Dress.

If someone is wearing what is basically Swarovski crystal-studded, see-through lingerie in public, let alone walking down the aisle of a church or a synagogue, yeah, I'm going to use the term hoochie mama. And I'm not exaggerating, some of her dresses are just that - see-through corsets with some semblance of a skirt. Or what looks like a slinky nightgown with a huge crystal butterfly on the ass of the dress. You get the idea.

I've never seen anyone wear a dress like that in real life though--I think they bear the same resemblance to "normal" people's wedding dresses that runway craziness bears to normal people's clothes. It's to get publicity at the fashion shows and on TV.

(And it still doesn't mean the woman wearing it is a hoochie mama, just that maybe she has awful taste in dresses. Says the elderslut who has worn crystal-studded lingerie in public, but it was at a fetish ball and not a wedding. :teasing-whipblue: LOL)

Wow, just spent some time at the Seppis blog and some of these dresses are depressing.

I found this on particularly bad because us bigger girls cannot catch a break melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2008/11/david-stacie-lang-johnson-reformation.html

I actually thought this dress was beautiful, but I don't think they are strict fundies since there was a garter toss and dancing at the wedding

melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2012/10/alisa-anthony.html

All the dresses at the second wedding were stunning. I loved the bridesmaids' dresses; they didn't look like they had been specially made to be modest or anything. They were just pretty.

I've never seen anyone wear a dress like that in real life though--I think they bear the same resemblance to "normal" people's wedding dresses that runway craziness bears to normal people's clothes. It's to get publicity at the fashion shows and on TV.

(And it still doesn't mean the woman wearing it is a hoochie mama, just that maybe she has awful taste in dresses. Says the elderslut who has worn crystal-studded lingerie in public, but it was at a fetish ball and not a wedding. :teasing-whipblue: LOL)

I agree that some of the Pnina gowns and their ilk are not the same as a sleeveless wedding dress. However, too many women (me included) don't know to "wear" a sleeveless gown; we tend to hunch our shoulders, afraid the gown will fall off or it's cut so much lower in the front than we're accustomed to wearing that we keep looking down to make sure our nipples haven't popped out. Too often, brides seem uncomfortable in their dresses.

I was just coming to post the Balyeat-Dagley wedding. It is a horror show of cornpone.

Major problems with ruffles and more ruffles out of a fabric that won't work with ruffles. One looked like a very thick poly knit! one of the others had stuck on a modesty panel above the lace neckline-- and none of it fit right.

I think whoever said "bad fit" was right on the money...

Major problems with ruffles and more ruffles out of a fabric that won't work with ruffles. One looked like a very thick poly knit! one of the others had stuck on a modesty panel above the lace neckline-- and none of it fit right.

I think whoever said "bad fit" was right on the money...

The girl in the last link looks like she is 12.

The girl in the last link looks like she is 12.

I said that on the previous page as well. I am very young looking for my age (not a humble brag, I find it kind of annoying but know I will enjoy it if it keeps up in the future) and she looks young even to me. Someone on the previous page said she was 17- that's a very young looking 17.

Edited for clarity (thanks, wine).

I don't think she looks as young as 12-but she doesn't look very bright. There's something off about her. Like there is with Priscilla.

Looks like they had a honeymoon baby. Married in November 2009, first baby in August 2010.

melodys-notes.blogspot.se/2010/08/born-to-james-amanda-dagley-balyeat.html

It looks like a homebirth in a trailer of some kind with the whole family present.

How old (young?) is this bride? She was born Balyeat so probably a sister of the cowboy groom.

:shock:

melodys-notes.blogspot.se/2008/06/happy-birthday-johanna.html

Archived