IGNORED

Best & Worst Fundie Wedding Dresses

MissBitters

And look at the parents. They look like they're on a Walmart run. Absolutely no one involved in this thing gives two flying fucks.

Except whoever applied the bride's eyeshadow. They went all out.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that Anna Duggar's dress was nothing to brag about and it didn't fit her. One would think that Boob could have spurged for a decent dress for her.

Ok, that's about as bad as it gets. I'd rather see 50 pounds of ugly lace than a plain old nightgown.

This one reminded me of a Civil War-era petticoat. All that was missing was the hoop, and of course, the hoop skirt that goes over it.

Worst wedding dress I can recall was that SAHD, Meredith, who married some guy in the military and was in England, last I heard? She was(is?) a pet fundie for some people around here; they'll know who I'm talking about.

Anyway, I remember the dress because she found it on one of her thrift-shopping expeditions and fell in love with it at first sight. It was one of those '80s poufy-sleeved pseudo-Victorian numbers, with a huge skirt. But the satin was glaring white, and a really hard, shiny, cheap-looking polyester. The lace appliques on the skirt were totally different than the ones on the bodice, and the two parts of the dress looked like they'd been randomly stuck together. But the worst part was that she wore this ugly, tacky thing on her wedding day and it was too short--in the front, it was above ankle length, when it should have hit close to the floor.

She was a nice, down-to-earth girl who had been her mother's pet workhorse on the family farm, and who had pretty much been handed her much-younger sister (who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time?) to raise. She deserved a much nicer dress than that terrible thing she walked down the aisle in, but for reasons I could not fathom she was dead-set on that one.

Meredith was and is no pet of mine, but I do not agree that "she deserved a much nicer dress"... Every girl deserves to wear the dress she wants to. Isn't that what Meredith did?

I have to say that Anna Duggar's dress was nothing to brag about and it didn't fit her. One would think that Boob could have spurged for a decent dress for her.

Anna's dress belonged to one of her sisters, Rebekah I think. I remember the brother-in-law being annoyed with Josh for standing on it and ripping the train off. (I don't actually remember the dress. I was too busy watching the 5 billion bridesmaids.)

OT:

As I was scrolling down one of Christopher M's wedding albums linked above (Lexi and Josh), I found something that totally squicked me out. Did anyone else notice the sign on the arch at the altar of their church where all the men are doing something weird with their arms? I'm sure in its proper context, it has some totally innocuous meaning. But in the pictures of a fundie wedding? Anyway, the sign actually reads:

"2009

Now Let's Do It"

Bleeegh.

The dresses, nice, less nice and hideous have one thing in common, they don't fit properly. Fundies always brag about their sewing skills, well they absolutely lack any sense of fit.

Can I just say how WONDERFUL this thread is, I am enjoying the fundie wedding pictures oh so much - the uglier the better. That green eyeshadowed Dovey was a little too painfully ugly though, as were others on the Seppi blog.

So anyone think Erin's dress/bridal look should go in the list of favorites? Compared to the rest it's pretty good - no obvious satin t-shirt underneath, no shoulder pads, good hair and makeup, and a truly happy smile makes for a pretty bride.

Priscilla Waller's wasn't too bad, and also pretty hair. Only ugly thing there was the pecan stealing groom beside her.

I'd say Amanda Munck's goes in my least favorites - it's not as atrocious as others on here, but could have been so much better. The sparkly t-shirt underneath is so obvious considering the dress has straps, and I just hate those stupid shirts so much I wish we could gather all of them together and burn them. I just don't get why so many fundie brides go for them when there are other options - plenty of sleeved dresses in the post-Kate Middleton wedding world, cute boleros and lace/sheer coverups all over the place, well-done turtlenecks and crew cut collars, and so on. No excuse for so much ugliness.

On another note, I really hope Whitney Perkins chooses a cute wintery bolero or wrap for her Christmas-themed wedding as a cover up, something like this: etsy.com/listing/122169251/ivory-shawl-wrap-bridal-shrug-bolero?ref=br_feed_42&br_feed_tlp=weddings

Speaking of Christopher Maxwell, here is Anna Marie's gown:

blog.titus2.com/2010/10/29/wedding-pictures-3/

Both her dress and the bridesmaids' dresses aren't bad, just kind of bland. Then again, that fits with the Maxwell family...

I can't tell if there is any color to those maid dresses. It looks like slushy snow...

Anna's dress belonged to one of her sisters, Rebekah I think. I remember the brother-in-law being annoyed with Josh for standing on it and ripping the train off. (I don't actually remember the dress. I was too busy watching the 5 billion bridesmaids.)

Anna's dress was very simple, t-shirty and no design.

joshua-and-anna-duggar.jpg

Best- Besides Erin's, I think I liked Priscilla's wedding dress. It was modest but it fitted her well and it very simple yet elegant. Kori Wissmann's dress was beautiful too, even though it does not mean "fundie modest" standards. I loved the straps she had for the dress.

Worst- Mary Jane Mueller (Valerie Waller's sister-in-law, her brother's wife). The sleeves were too long, for my liking, and it did not fit her body all that well. It honestly looks like they sewed a top and skirt together. Plus, the extra fabric they added to make it more modest is very noticeable, especially the sleeves and the neckline. The dress was way too simple too, however, the bridesmaid dresses were pretty, except for that annoying flower. Here's the link: 2.bp.blogspot.com/-NUPl7Izfd1Q/UUZyxo8vQ9I/AAAAAAAADUM/hAHn_FAS-no/s1600/_DSC8641.jpg

Nadia Botkin's dress was nice but that fabric underneath her dress was annoying the crap out of me. You can tell it does not belong and it seems like it was a last minute addition to the dress, which failed miserably.

visionarydaughters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dnwimg_4791_final.jpg

Ok, that's about as bad as it gets. I'd rather see 50 pounds of ugly lace than a plain old nightgown.

shame really. the bride is really pretty and you could have made a cool Victorian-ish dress! totally dig the purple dress on the little flower girl though

Both Zimmerman sisters (little Tait's aunts) wore their grandmother's beautiful, modest, & bona fide vintage 50's era wedding dress for their weddings (Esther married the Leclerc guy). The weddings looked lovely too. They are both gorgeous & could have pulled off any dress, but grandma's dress was amazing on both of them without being frumpy or the slightest bit revealing.

I am traveling now so a bit technologically handicapped, will try to post links later, pretty easy to find online.

The dresses, nice, less nice and hideous have one thing in common, they don't fit properly. Fundies always brag about their sewing skills, well they absolutely lack any sense of fit.

Totally. I can't help but wonder if this has to do with their modesty. Are they afraid that something too fitted will show off their bodies? Or are they simply too cheap to get the dresses tailored? I have to give kudos to Erin for wearing a dress that was fitted properly.

I thought Nadia Botkin's dress was pretty but there was something off with the neckline. I can't tell if they tried to modify the dress to make it more modest or it was supposed to be that way. I like the little cardigan she wore with it in some pictures:

visionarydaughters.com/2011/05/david-and-nadias-wedding

/

I thought that was a really nice dress too (and she's very pretty). I have to say I like a lot of fundie dresses because I tend to like simple dresses that cover a bit of skin.

Worst wedding dress I can recall was that SAHD, Meredith, who married some guy in the military and was in England, last I heard? She was(is?) a pet fundie for some people around here; they'll know who I'm talking about.

Anyway, I remember the dress because she found it on one of her thrift-shopping expeditions and fell in love with it at first sight. It was one of those '80s poufy-sleeved pseudo-Victorian numbers, with a huge skirt. But the satin was glaring white, and a really hard, shiny, cheap-looking polyester. The lace appliques on the skirt were totally different than the ones on the bodice, and the two parts of the dress looked like they'd been randomly stuck together. But the worst part was that she wore this ugly, tacky thing on her wedding day and it was too short--in the front, it was above ankle length, when it should have hit close to the floor.

She was a nice, down-to-earth girl who had been her mother's pet workhorse on the family farm, and who had pretty much been handed her much-younger sister (who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time?) to raise. She deserved a much nicer dress than that terrible thing she walked down the aisle in, but for reasons I could not fathom she was dead-set on that one.

I agree. To make it worse, Meredith really went for "classy" as her wedding theme (at least that was what she kept repeating on her blog) and researched Jacqueline Kennedy's wedding for inspiration... and the result was messy hair, a hideous 80's polyester and appliqué dress, her little sister in a mini-wedding dress, also 80's style and very Toddler and Tiaras (do you remember?), 27 bell ringers, a reception inside a freezing cold barn in December with wedding guests in parkas and with red noses and home slaughtered cows served for wedding dinner. Yes, very classy and Mrs Kennedy indeed. :roll:

Totally. I can't help but wonder if this has to do with their modesty. Are they afraid that something too fitted will show off their bodies? Or are they simply too cheap to get the dresses tailored? I have to give kudos to Erin for wearing a dress that was fitted properly.

I think problem is is that if they sew the dress to make it fit properly, they fear that it will show curves on a woman's body which can be *gasp* immodest!

I think problem is is that if they sew the dress to make it fit properly, they fear that it will show curves on a woman's body which can be *gasp* immodest!

But it's just not showing body shape vs not showing body shape. They have no eye whatsoever for proportions, the seams are often bubbly and not properly pressed and the bodice is often ill-fitting so it wrinkles at the wrong places. I don't call myself a skilled seamstress at all, but I would NEVER let a dress that looked like that leave my house.

Are those shoulder pads on that poor woman's wedding gown? :o

The dress is for an older woman. A friend of mine wore something similar for a second wedding when she was in her early 50s. As she is tall and slim, on her it looked quite elegant.

Moreover, Dovey does not look happy.

Speaking of Christopher Maxwell, here is Anna Marie's gown:

blog.titus2.com/2010/10/29/wedding-pictures-3/

Both her dress and the bridesmaids' dresses aren't bad, just kind of bland. Then again, that fits with the Maxwell family...

And she does look shyly happy.

I agree. To make it worse, Meredith really went for "classy" as her wedding theme (at least that was what she kept repeating on her blog) and researched Jacqueline Kennedy's wedding for inspiration... and the result was messy hair, a hideous 80's polyester and appliqué dress, her little sister in a mini-wedding dress, also 80's style and very Toddler and Tiaras (do you remember?), 27 bell ringers, a reception inside a freezing cold barn in December with wedding guests in parkas and with red noses and home slaughtered cows served for wedding dinner. Yes, very classy and Mrs Kennedy indeed. :roll:

A travesty, an abomination... OMG, I can't even think of a word strong enough for the way I feel about the mini wedding dress. And it was just kind of pitiful how Meredith kept going on about how "classy" everything was when it was all so Precious Moments-y and Thomas Kincaid-y. (sp.?) Embarrassing.

I thought that was a really nice dress too (and she's very pretty). I have to say I like a lot of fundie dresses because I tend to like simple dresses that cover a bit of skin.

Dinorah -- I agree. I'm tired of boobs hanging loose, corsets (for god's sake, they belong in the bedroom), and dresses so tight the bride has to hobble down the aisle.

I thought Princess Kate's dress was sexy as all hell, though, and it covered everything!

And remember that slip dress of Carolyn Bessette??? 2.bp.blogspot.com/-NUPl7Izfd1Q/UUZyxo8vQ9I/AAAAAAAADUM/hAHn_FAS-no/s1600/_DSC8641.jpg

A travesty, an abomination... OMG, I can't even think of a word strong enough for the way I feel about the mini wedding dress. And it was just kind of pitiful how Meredith kept going on about how "classy" everything was when it was all so Precious Moments-y and Thomas Kincaid-y. (sp.?) Embarrassing.

I don't know who Meredith is. Is there a link we can go to?

Oh gosh, does anyone have a link? Pretty pretty please?

I am way more amused by this thread that any decent person should be. Perhaps I should go put on some Say Yes To The Dress to go with the rest of today's ironing and house cleaning :)

Archived