IGNORED

Best & Worst Fundie Wedding Dresses

MissBitters

All of the talk about Chad & Erin's wedding has reminded me of past fundie weddings, especially the dresses. One of my favorites was Dorothy Morton's gown:

deepsouth.me/main/?p=269

I like that it looks like she wore the dress as is and didn't try to make it more modest. I also like the bridesmaids' dresses. They fit the country themed wedding and were probably very comfortable on a hot July day!

I can't think of the worst dress right now although I'm sure you all will refresh me :)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the title and was like "Dorothy Sander's". Her whole wedding was gorgeous and actually balanced pretty/practical well.

I nominated Katie Smiths for the worst. Too much fabric and cheap renfaire vibe going on.

photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2890/1658/1600/6666030-R1-016-6A.jpg

photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2890/1658/1600/6666220-R2-048-22A.jpg

Does Michelle's vow renewal dress count? She ruined a perfectly fine dress to make it "modest"

I know everyone here has seen it, but some pictures to refresh your memory and the horror

tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/photos/duggar-vow-renewal-pictures.htm

You want the worst, MissBitters? Just go to the Seppi blog, search "wedding," and you'll get more "worsts" than you know what to do with. :lol:

But I'll submit this as a personal fave:

melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2010/08/dovey-davis-mark-willbanks-wedding.html

Edited to fix live link-- sorry!

You want the worst, MissBitters? Just go to the Seppi blog, search "wedding," and you'll get more "worsts" than you know what to do with. :lol:

Are those shoulder pads on that poor woman's wedding gown? :o

Worst wedding dress I can recall was that SAHD, Meredith, who married some guy in the military and was in England, last I heard? She was(is?) a pet fundie for some people around here; they'll know who I'm talking about.

Anyway, I remember the dress because she found it on one of her thrift-shopping expeditions and fell in love with it at first sight. It was one of those '80s poufy-sleeved pseudo-Victorian numbers, with a huge skirt. But the satin was glaring white, and a really hard, shiny, cheap-looking polyester. The lace appliques on the skirt were totally different than the ones on the bodice, and the two parts of the dress looked like they'd been randomly stuck together. But the worst part was that she wore this ugly, tacky thing on her wedding day and it was too short--in the front, it was above ankle length, when it should have hit close to the floor.

She was a nice, down-to-earth girl who had been her mother's pet workhorse on the family farm, and who had pretty much been handed her much-younger sister (who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time?) to raise. She deserved a much nicer dress than that terrible thing she walked down the aisle in, but for reasons I could not fathom she was dead-set on that one.

The Seppi blog did briefly cross my mind! The one you linked to was especially bad. Regina's dress was a bit dated but not awful. I wish she had done something better with her hair:

melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html

There really are far too many to count.

Christopher Maxwell has quite a few on his photography site. Not fundies who are discussed, but fundies...and horrible none the less.

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/jubilena/index.html

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/index.html

The Seppi's are prime mining ground for awful fundie wedding dresses - and weddings.

Exhibit A: melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2009/11/james-balyeat-amanda-dagley-wedding.html

Edited to break links.

I thought Nadia Botkin's dress was pretty but there was something off with the neckline. I can't tell if they tried to modify the dress to make it more modest or it was supposed to be that way. I like the little cardigan she wore with it in some pictures:

visionarydaughters.com/2011/05/david-and-nadias-wedding

Audri Botkin's was pretty too although I couldn't find a full length pic:

benbotkin.com/2010/10/a-good-thing/

There are some fundie dresses that are just plain pretty.

That Southern-y wedding is... wow. Colonial, almost. Like a historic bed and breakfast.

Christopher Maxwell has quite a few on his photography site. Not fundies who are discussed, but fundies...and horrible none the less.

Ouch--that one's bad. She's wearing an off-the-shoulder gown (probably her mother's, from the '80s) with a dumpy, ill-fitting satin t-shirt under it. What is this? You've got to resort to the ugliest, clumsiest possible fix on your wedding day lest anyone see your shoulders and think you're a whore? They couldn't even bother to come up with a modest solution that was pretty? Or get someone who knew what they were doing to style her hair?

I've never been a fan of weddings (and never had one, myself), but I've always assumed that if you're going to look your absolute best one day out of your life, your wedding day's as good a choice as any. And considering how much emphasis is placed on getting married, and a girl's wedding day being the big event she spends her entire girlhood waiting and preparing for, you'd think their families could do better.

And that shapeless dress with the shoulder pads from the Seppi blog that DomWackTroll posted? Probably another hand-me-down from Mom's wedding back in the '80s. That poor girl looks like she fell out of bed (after sleeping in the dress), slapped some seafoam green eyeshadow on (seriously, WTF), and hitched a ride to church.

Is Lexi wearing a shirt under her dress....

Speaking of Christopher Maxwell, here is Anna Marie's gown:

blog.titus2.com/2010/10/29/wedding-pictures-3/

Both her dress and the bridesmaids' dresses aren't bad, just kind of bland. Then again, that fits with the Maxwell family...

Ouch--that one's bad. She's wearing an off-the-shoulder gown (probably her mother's, from the '80s) with a dumpy, ill-fitting satin t-shirt under it. What is this? You've got to resort to the ugliest, clumsiest possible fix on your wedding day lest anyone see your shoulders and think you're a whore? They couldn't even bother to come up with a modest solution that was pretty? Or get someone who knew what they were doing to style her hair?

I've never been a fan of weddings (and never had one, myself), but I've always assumed that if you're going to look your absolute best one day out of your life, your wedding day's as good a choice as any. And considering how much emphasis is placed on getting married, and a girl's wedding day being the big event she spends her entire girlhood waiting and preparing for, you'd think their families could do better.

And that shapeless dress with the shoulder pads from the Seppi blog that DomWackTroll posted? Probably another hand-me-down from Mom's wedding back in the '80s. That poor girl looks like she fell out of bed (after sleeping in the dress), slapped some seafoam green eyeshadow on (seriously, WTF), and hitched a ride to church.

Seconded. Lexi's dress was beautiful, and someone made her take a piece of satin and stuff it under the neckline just so it could be more "modest." It looked ridiculous! Why couldn't they have left the dress the way it was? It was pretty and modest before the eyesore undershirt was added to make it more frumper-ific.

I also thought the mini-jackets that that bridesmaids were forced to wear were ridiculous. They were ill-fitting and covered what I'm sure were very pretty dresses.

And they both look dirty-- like they couldn't even be bothered to wash their hair on their wedding day! Just gross.

Omg are these people inbred? Everything is hideous. That dress, that eye shadow!

The Seppi's are prime mining ground for awful fundie wedding dresses - and weddings.

Exhibit A: melodys-notes.blogspot.com/2009/11/james-balyeat-amanda-dagley-wedding.html

Edited to break links.

I got distracted on Christopher Maxwell's site by some of the strangest photos I've ever seen.

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/0939.jpg - a giant fan in the middle of a doorway. I know the kind of photo he was going for - they're all over pinterest - but you don't take a picture of the bridal party getting ready while there's a giant fan in the way!

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/1867.jpg - a picture of someone's point-and-shoot camera...

christophermaxwell.com/weddings/josh-lexi/images/2476.jpg - he seems to love ridiculous camera angles. There are several in the Josh/Lexi album that are like this.

Oof.

Oh my! They are... Um.. Quite a couple.

I've always hated Kelly Bradrick's dress. The top seemed really mismatched with the skirt. That said, I also think Kelly is really beautiful (at least she was on her wedding day) and the dress didn't detract from that.

Oh my word. Where to begin? I mean usually I don't like to snark on appearances, but wouldn't you try to put some effort into your wedding day? The hair... the eyeshadow. THE EYESHADOW. The dress, which no one could ever think was flattering. I just don't get it. And the bride looks totally apathetic. Like, "Whatever, I'm here, I put on a veil. Can I go now?"

Oh my word. Where to begin? I mean usually I don't like to snark on appearances, but wouldn't you try to put some effort into your wedding day? The hair... the eyeshadow. THE EYESHADOW. The dress, which no one could ever think was flattering. I just don't get it. And the bride looks totally apathetic. Like, "Whatever, I'm here, I put on a veil. Can I go now?"

And look at the parents. They look like they're on a Walmart run. Absolutely no one involved in this thing gives two flying fucks.

Ok, that's about as bad as it gets. I'd rather see 50 pounds of ugly lace than a plain old nightgown.

Archived