IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Boaz thing makes me laugh, but it's true, Ruth didn't really wait patiently for him, she went out and got him herself.

p.s. one of the funniest things for me was hearing fundies try to justify the Ruth/Boaz story by saying that courtship couldn't follow that model because Ruth only did what she did based on a cultural context that no longer exists. So don't do what Ruth did, because things are different now, but, for example, women can't be ministers because THE BIBLE SAYS SO. The irony burns.

Even funnier: "Uncovered his feet" is a nice, biblical ephemism for oral sex. She not only didn't wait patiently, she waltzed into his tent as a stranger and gave him a nice surprise. And now you know why he wanted to marry her so badly just because she sat down in his tent at night. Yeah, not so much!

Even funnier: "Uncovered his feet" is a nice, biblical ephemism for oral sex. She not only didn't wait patiently, she waltzed into his tent as a stranger and gave him a nice surprise. And now you know why he wanted to marry her so badly just because she sat down in his tent at night. Yeah, not so much!

I've heard that interpretation before, and I'm not sure how much credit I give it, but it does add an extra layer of hilarity to the not-fundie-friendly nature of the Book of Ruth.

I've heard that interpretation before, and I'm not sure how much credit I give it, but it does add an extra layer of hilarity to the not-fundie-friendly nature of the Book of Ruth.

My father always said when the king went looking to kill David and stopped in a cave to "cover his feet", the original Hebrew meant he used the bathroom. Funny, he never mentioned the opposite being oral sex, lol. Found a site with more:

bycommonconsent.com/2006/01/24/weird-ot-euphemisms-uncovering-the-feet/

My interpretation (and I'm hardly a Biblical scholar, so take this as you will) was always that Naomi told Ruth to go in and uncover him - i.e. expose him. He would take the hint and, like she said, 'tell you what to do.' I definitely always interpreted that in a sexual sense, haha. I don't think the passage means that Ruth went in and performed oral sex on him - rather that she went in and basically invited him to have sex with her, because she thought he should be her husband.

As for the 'cover his feet' meaning 'use the bathroom' - I'm pretty sure that's what it actually says in my NIV. Yep, 1 Samuel 24:3: " He came to the sheep pens along the way; a cave was there, and Saul went in to relieve himself." I knew I remembered it, as David vs. Saul is one of my favourite parts of the Bible. :)

My interpretation (and I'm hardly a Biblical scholar, so take this as you will) was always that Naomi told Ruth to go in and uncover him - i.e. expose him. He would take the hint and, like she said, 'tell you what to do.' I definitely always interpreted that in a sexual sense, haha. I don't think the passage means that Ruth went in and performed oral sex on him - rather that she went in and basically invited him to have sex with her, because she thought he should be her husband.

As for the 'cover his feet' meaning 'use the bathroom' - I'm pretty sure that's what it actually says in my NIV. Yep, 1 Samuel 24:3: " He came to the sheep pens along the way; a cave was there, and Saul went in to relieve himself." I knew I remembered it, as David vs. Saul is one of my favourite parts of the Bible. :)

Umm, I never heard of that. Weird that uncovering one's feet would meaning using the bathroom. My understanding of the story is Ruth uncover Boaz's feet and he woke to find her at his feet.

Umm, I never heard of that. Weird that uncovering one's feet would meaning using the bathroom. My understanding of the story is Ruth uncover Boaz's feet and he woke to find her at his feet.

He did. Basically she was going to him and putting herself at his mercy. The sexual implication is just another layer to the story. I think you can read it without any kind of sexual implication and still be reading it accurately.

Maybe that's what I read and I got it mixed up in my mind with something else. Either way, she was hardly the picture of chastity and patience fundies like to portray her as being. :lol:

No, it's about the biblical characters Ruth and Boaz.

Well...that's embarrassing. I guess you can tell what kind of education I haven't had.

Maybe that's what I read and I got it mixed up in my mind with something else. Either way, she was hardly the picture of chastity and patience fundies like to portray her as being. :lol:

I thought that she was giving him a handjob.

Well...that's embarrassing. I guess you can tell what kind of education I haven't had.

I was quite impressed that you referenced Boas and Benedict.

Anthropologists in da house!

I apologize if this was posted but I did not see it?

Ben Seewald is tagged in a facebook picture (all public) on one of his relative's FB pages and it implies Ben is moving out and moving nearby, which leads me to speculate Jessa would be moving down there.

1379307_10201856044821154_576331679_n.jpg

1375955_10201856045821179_1196789374_n.jpg

1383134_10201856047021209_2020235068_n.jpg

They're from the First Annual Seewald Fall Festival. The Duggars are there. Some of the pictures we have seen

facebook.com/CEHerrmann/media_set?set=a.10201855959299016.1073741835.1184029164&type=3

Jim bob and Ben's Dad:

1376382_10201856551953832_884578481_n.jpg

Courtship rules enforcer:

1378418_10201856444791153_2088652989_n.jpg

I apologize if this was posted but I did not see it?

Ben Seewald is tagged in a facebook picture (all public) on one of his relative's FB pages and it implies Ben is moving out and moving nearby, which leads me to speculate Jessa would be moving down there.

1379307_10201856044821154_576331679_n.jpg

LOVE that this says "I need TLC - but I'm worth it!" he's turning into a mini jim bob already! :lol:

No, he didn't write that, the realty company did. His extended family owns the realty company. He's tagged in the picture because apparently he's going to be living there.

LOVE that this says "I need TLC - but I'm worth it!" he's turning into a mini jim bob already! :lol:

But the top of the sign says it's for lease? Am I missing something, or is there actually a thing where people rent fixer-uppers?

*off to stalk realty site*

He did. Basically she was going to him and putting herself at his mercy. The sexual implication is just another layer to the story. I think you can read it without any kind of sexual implication and still be reading it accurately.

I went to a Catholic All Girls High School. Freshman year, one of the nuns - who also taught sex ed - told us that "laying at his feet" meant sex, because foot=penis and a woman's vagina is the shoe that covers the foot.

I posted a link earlier that showed other examples of 'feet' being used as various euphemisms involving genitalia. The bathroom reference I knew, but the other person who posted was spot on about the sexual undertones. An obvious one was in 2 Samuel when David had already slept with Bathsheba while her husband was at war. When Uriah got back, David needed to cover up the pregnancy, so he told Uriah to go home and "wash his feet". Uriah told him that he couldn't "lie with his wife" while his men were at war. Or the "loose woman" in Ezekiel who "opened her feet for all the passers-by... So for Ruth and Boaz -- boom chicka bow wow! :)

No, he didn't write that, the realty company did. His extended family owns the realty company. He's tagged in the picture because apparently he's going to be living there.

oh, i know, i just thought the obvious subconscious reason for his "purchase" or "lease" or whatever was just too good to pass up.

How ironic that the sign says, "I need TLC, but I'm worth it." They need TLC to maintain Jessa's lifestyle or else thay have to move to a shack in the woods! Indentured servatude in the TTH bay be better. At least she's gonna be able to have sex.

At least she's getting away - how far is Hot Springs, anyway?

Will she need to be chaperoned with her own husband like J'uterus wants to do with Smuggar? Divide up the rest of the girls to keep an eye on them?

At least she's getting away - how far is Hot Springs, anyway?

Will she need to be chaperoned with her own husband like J'uterus wants to do with Smuggar? Divide up the rest of the girls to keep an eye on them?

About 200 miles away.

Ben be da man so he will be in charge of his woman once they get married. And it looks like they're at the engagement stage if he is moving out?

I think Jessa is probably jumping from one frying pan right into another.

Can you imagine what her first night alone in a house with him would be like? I wouldn't be surprised if the relative, howler-free silence was downright spooky for her. At least Smugger was able to get out of the house from time to time to "work" at the car lot, but Jessa's been pretty much surrounded by a constant buzz since she was old enough to be a buddy.

Now how would an engagement & marriage work? TLC is NOT going to let this story be released anywhere else first. Would they do a shirt winter season about the engagement and wedding planning? Then a VSE on the wedding. I hope Ben realizes he has to schedule this through TLC....

Given that Ben first "met" Jessa via the TV show, I doubt he cares. Hell, he probably wants a cut of the TLC pie, which he'll get, at least for the VSE Wedding of the Year.

Boob will be on full display for that one. How creepy will it be to hear him give the "first kiss" speech? Will Gothard be on hand to remind Jessa that she is now Ben's property, or will he stay away because Ben's family is VF? I don't know that I've seen him at a "mixed" marriage before.

Archived