IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

Do we know how Jim Bob found Ben? I can't imagine that Jessa had any say in this initially.

They seem to have some freedom. I saw Jill selfies without a sister in the group. I was like Whoa, they can go off by themselves and hang out with other kids. I am sure JB will have to show a little release since his children are getting older and are expressing their opinions. :cracking-up:

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ben's going to be a fun one. I looked thoroughly at his fb likes. He may look semi normal and his extended family may be normal, but he is deeply into theology (and of course the pro life movement). And why would someone "like" Robert E. Lee?

Because he's a VF Confederacy-Apologist moron?

Because he's a VF Confederacy-Apologist moron?

I was going to go with "racist", but what you said, too.

To be fair, there are some things to admire about Lee, like his technical skills as a military commander, or the improvements he made at West Point while he was its head.

I was going to go with "racist", but what you said, too.

To be fair, there are some things to admire about Lee, like his technical skills as a military commander, or the improvements he made at West Point while he was its head.

And he did free his slaves before secession.

Ben's going to be a fun one. I looked thoroughly at his fb likes. He may look semi normal and his extended family may be normal, but he is deeply into theology (and of course the pro life movement). And why would someone "like" Robert E. Lee?

There's no hope for Jessa. I can't believe how sad I feel for this girl I don't even know.

I hope (wish) that Ben is posting all those crazy messages on facebook to appease JimBob and once they are married, he and Jessa can escape to a not-so-fundy lifestyle. I doubt this is the case, but I do hope he is laying the crazy on a bit thick to create a good impression on the in-laws.

I hope (wish) that Ben is posting all those crazy messages on facebook to appease JimBob and once they are married, he and Jessa can escape to a not-so-fundy lifestyle. I doubt this is the case, but I do hope he is laying the crazy on a bit thick to create a good impression on the in-laws.

I am sure he means what he says. But I also imagine he posts this anti abortions crap in public to impress Boob.

I don't know that any of the larger Duggar clan looks at facebook, but Smuggar certainly does and would be the one reporting back to Boob. I really hope that this is all for show and they make a break for it after the wedding.

Do we know how Jim Bob found Ben? I can't imagine that Jessa had any say in this initially.

He was lurking in the kindergarten ATI this past year at Big Sandy!

I am sure he means what he says. But I also imagine he posts this anti abortions crap in public to impress Boob.

He's a kid! Ben has really no idea what he's talking about; he's just repeating statements he has heard from someone else.

I had a Duggar dream last night. I think they were filming for a talk show or something. Jessa was wearing a large gaudy engagement ring, in the background I could hear one of the J'Slaves urging her to hide it because it wasn't time for the big reveal yet...

I really can't see anyone putting on this much of a show just to marry a girl. I think that Ben really believes in the fundie way and that the encouragement he is getting from JB and Michelle is encouraging that. However, he comes from a fundie-lite background, and I don't think it's far off to think that he will grow up a bit once they're married and back off of religion. I think it's probably a phase for him, being 18 and wanting to be important, but it won't last long.

I really can't see anyone putting on this much of a show just to marry a girl. I think that Ben really believes in the fundie way and that the encouragement he is getting from JB and Michelle is encouraging that. However, he comes from a fundie-lite background, and I don't think it's far off to think that he will grow up a bit once they're married and back off of religion. I think it's probably a phase for him, being 18 and wanting to be important, but it won't last long.

We can only hope!

The kids who drank the most kool-aid and spewed the party line back at teachers, parents, and pastors the most prolifically at the fundy-lite school I taught at are the least fundy at all now. Just taking the "best Christian" award winners from one class for an example: One is a department manager at Whole Foods who recently married her live-in boyfriend. One is a gay fashion designer (who has been moderately successful on a regional level anyway). And one is the primary breadwinner for her family and became a seemingly very liberal Catholic.

The ability to regurgitate the kool-aid at 18 sometimes means you have not really swallowed it and things could change.

And he did free his slaves before secession.

That was legally mandated by his father-in-law's will; Lee freed the slaves at the last possible moment, a full five years after Custis's death (the will stated that the slaves should be freed as soon as possible, no more than five years after Custis died).

I don't know what Lee would have done about slaves of his own if he had had any, but his freeing the slaves his father-in-law left wasn't his decision.

That was legally mandated by his father-in-law's will; Lee freed the slaves at the last possible moment, a full five years after Custis's death (the will stated that the slaves should be freed as soon as possible, no more than five years after Custis died).

I don't know what Lee would have done about slaves of his own if he had had any, but his freeing the slaves his father-in-law left wasn't his decision.

This! Lee was no hero. But karma bit him on the ass, as he trained many of the northern officers who fought against the south.

(I'm still working on that VF vs ATI post, don't worry! It may be about a week out but I'll make a separate post. I'm still in the midst of finals, illness, and beginning to move. It's a subject that fascinates me within my ministry major, but real life bites in the ass sometimes).

Just popping in to say that Ben was also in *my* dream last night, just staring at me. Doing nothing else. It was kind of creepy. I don't understand. o.O

(I'm still working on that VF vs ATI post, don't worry! It may be about a week out but I'll make a separate post. I'm still in the midst of finals, illness, and beginning to move. It's a subject that fascinates me within my ministry major, but real life bites in the ass sometimes).

Just popping in to say that Ben was also in *my* dream last night, just staring at me. Doing nothing else. It was kind of creepy. I don't understand. o.O

That wasn't a dream....it was a nightmare! Hope you feel better soon. Looking forward to you VF/ATI post.

That wasn't a dream....it was a nightmare! Hope you feel better soon. Looking forward to you VF/ATI post.

Did he sparkle in the sunlight?

Did he sparkle in the sunlight?

Hmm, a fundie or a creepy ass Edward Cullen...not sure which of those options scares me more.

This! Lee was no hero. But karma bit him on the ass, as he trained many of the northern officers who fought against the south.

Yes, and his family home is the site of Arlington National Cemetery. Union dead were buried on his estate denying him use of his home post Civil War.

Hmm, a fundie or a creepy ass Edward Cullen...not sure which of those options scares me more.

Jesus, this is enough to scare me into going Team Gothard.

Jesus, this is enough to scare me into going Team Gothard.

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.... You can either have a creepy, abusive husband obsessed with you, or a creepy, abusive husband that insists you be obsessed with him...

Archived