IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid question, but wouldn't the point of courtship be to see if you DO love them? And um.. if you don't, stop courting?

Stupid question, but wouldn't the point of courtship be to see if you DO love them? And um.. if you don't, stop courting?

You'd think! Apparently, not in fundie world where "courtship" is in reality "dating"!

The cup, the writing on the cup, and Ben's reply all seem so 9th grade.

It's hard to imagine a marriage emerging from this.

I'll give them a pass on this one - I have married friends who post silly things like this all the time. It's annoying and kind of weird, but they're happily married (as far as I know). :)

This is Jessa's way out of the TTH. I bet she'd fall for anyone just for a chance to get away.

And that is one of the billion problems with the Duggar lifestyle. The only way out is to either abandon her family and try to make it on her own while they try to guilt and shame her into coming back home(the hedge of thorns where you pray for horrible things to happen to your children who leave the fold) or to marry the first guy she can. If after marriage she finds out she doesn't really like him that much she is stuck.

The cup, the writing on the cup, and Ben's reply all seem so 9th grade.

It's hard to imagine a marriage emerging from this.

This is how Anna and Josh behaved and how Michele and Jim Bob behave even now. I just saw Michele's birthday surprise episode and the kids decorated a car for Michele much like you would for newlyweds. They also went to the hotel room and decorated it -- even put a post it up about being fruitful and multiplying.

I know.... Those poor adult-child people.

Personally, I've always wondered where they were going to meet partners. Eventually, the families will all be so in-bred that there won't be anyone else to marry.

I thought they weren't allowed to say "I love you" at the courtship stage?

It doesn't say "love", it says "Heart," lol.

So what would happen if she decided she didn't love him? It wouldn't matter because she already gave pieces of her heart away?

So what would happen if she decided she didn't love him? It wouldn't matter because she already gave pieces of her heart away?

But she's still "pure" so all's good.

It is a sweet gesture (immature for a grown up woman like Jessa though). But isn't it sad that it's the only way to express their love to each other? They never have a private moment for themselves and intimate gestures like that are always visible to the entire family ('awww, how neat'). :roll:

Geeze I know people my age who do that type of thing, and I am ancient.

Which is which?

I think Edward is obsessed with you and you must be obsessed with Ben.

I'd take Edward. At least, I'd never have to worry about food, shelter, or becoming a broodmare. And, if I get to stay human- his daddy is a doctor so healthcare! I don't recall him ever being outright abusive, over bearing yes, but not abusive. I do admit to speed reading though because it was painful.

So apparently Ben just started a job as an insurance agent in Hot Springs.

It's on his FB - started working at Cynthia Rougeau - State Farm Agent December 17 Hot Springs, Arkansas. I'm sure he'll be making diddly squat (commissions) for a while, but at least he is now employed.

Edited to add: I believe JB sold insurance in the early days, too. I'm sure he approves.

1. I'm glad he's employed, and in a real job, not his windshield repair business or whatever that was.

2. This probably means he's trying to move forward to marriage pretty soon. He needs to prove to Jim Bob that he can support Jessa and their inevitable blessings - and of course either afford rent, or buy a house debt-free.

I thought it was only one specific fundy family who did that, and not all proponents of courtship.

Captain Brett pushed that big time. Not trying to win his daughter's hearts until engagement, no love just practical talks during courtship.

If they married, are they allowed to rent apartments or only houses? I only ask because I remember reading that Erin and guy whose name escapes me, were renting a house. I think Kelly also mentioned that Zach had rented a house. It seems like fundies might not like apartments just because you can come in regular contact with the heathens.

Although I find Ben suspect for some reason I give him props for getting a real job. Don't agents have to be bonded? Is he old enough? Maybe he is just a file clerk or part of the office staff. I thought that agents would have college degrees or some further education.

Edited because I lose all of my English skills when typing on my phone.

I think many of them rent houses because they live in places were it is affordable and convenient to rent a house rather than an apartment.

I'm not in the States, but I know you can get hired as a registered insurance broker here without a degree. I know because a friend of mine almost got a job as one, but he failed the exam twice so they had to rescind their offer of employment.

If they married, are they allowed to rent apartments or only houses? I only ask because I remember reading that Erin and guy whose name escapes me, were renting a house. I think Kelly also mentioned that Zach had rented a house. It seems like fundies might not like apartments just because you can come in regular contact with the heathens.

Although I find Ben suspect for some reason I give him props for getting a real job. Don't agents have to be bonded? Is he old enough? Maybe he is just a file clerk or part of the office staff. I thought that agents would have college degrees or some further education.

Edited because I lose all of my English skills when typing on my phone.

Renting a single family home is not that expensive when you're renting in the boonies.

Insurance agents must be licensed, but they don't necessarily have to have a college education. I suspect young Ben is doing administrative work, and learning the business, while studying for licensing.

So apparently Ben just started a job as an insurance agent in Hot Springs.
And how will Jessa contribute to the family before she is pregnant? Go to his office and stare at him?

Archived