IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(quoted from the link above)

:shock: No anxiousness is (sometimes) a serious illness that needs to be treated before it spirals out of control.

Edited to clarify.

So don't worry! Trust God!

Yeah, and the fact that you can always hitch your wagon to your father in law's media machine :roll:

Also let's see if he still holds that attitude at age 24 with 5 kids under 5. He's awfully young to be throwing out such tropes. I'm assuming he's been living with his parents all this time too. Yeah, sorry, you can get a lot of life experience even so but I'm not buying it here.

Also lol @ the Latin at the end

(quoted from the link above)

:shock: No anxiousness is (sometimes) a serious illness that needs to be treated before it spirals out of control.

Edited to clarify.

My interpretation of his comments on worry is: "Almighty Dog gave you a brain and a psyche. Do not use them."

ETA: I agree with Mrs. about anxiousness sometimes being an illness.

At the end of the day, I don't think Jim bob and Michelle care whether or not they get to know Ben all that well. As long as Ben promotes the perfect "Godly" image of what young Gothardite manhood should be (Read: as long as he talks constantly about God and does exactly what Jim Bob tells him to do), then the parental units will think he is perfect for Jessa.

How Ben truly behaves toward Jessa in private and what she thinks of him probably don't account for anywhere near as much with JB and M, as long as he joins the dog and pony show and makes the Duggar family look good in public.

Judging by his Facebook posts, Ben doesn't appear to have a single independent thought in that pretty little head of his, and I think that's just the way that Jim Bob likes him.

I can't imagine Jim Bob and Michelle being okay with Jessa having a husband who actually treats her like crap, but I can imagine them being totally naive and believing that just because he says all the right things he must be fantastic.

I still wonder what a strapless dress turned modest will look like.... for Erin. I don't know how good David's Bridal is for fancy alterations.

That concerns me, too. We're having a wedding in the family soon and the bride's dress was taken to a shop that both makes and remakes wedding gowns. It only needed to be bustled but still why not have a good shop do it? They have a good business remaking the dresses to be modest along with fully making gowns and regular alterations. Their work is well done and quite professional. I've seen David's mess up a hem.

These modest dresses are either straight out hits or misses. Some are gorgeous and lacy, but dude, some of these, it's like they're wearing pillowcases....

I still wonder what a strapless dress turned modest will look like.... for Erin. I don't know how good David's Bridal is for fancy alterations.

I've got, yet another cousin who recently married. The bride's dress was strapless, but she had sleeves attached (a cropped lace jacket, perhaps) for the ceremony.

Here is a picture of the bride's dress at the bedeken (the ceremony where a Jewish groom places the veil on the bride):

post-481-14451998319131_thumb.jpg

And, a picture of the dress at the reception.

post-481-14451998319545_thumb.jpg

Just goes to show that you can make a stylish dress modest, without making it look like a pillowcase.

I am surprised Ben didn't make his FB private when the public found it with his photo of Jessa and him. TLC has to read here or someone close to the Duggars reads here or other snark boards.

I for one never understood why anybody wouldn't have FB private anyways. I don't need everyone knowing my business. IMO.

i think it is private. His page is 19 hours old and appears to be a fan page.

facebook.com/benL4CSeewald

At the end of the day, I don't think Jim bob and Michelle care whether or not they get to know Ben all that well. As long as Ben promotes the perfect "Godly" image of what young Gothardite manhood should be (Read: as long as he talks constantly about God and does exactly what Jim Bob tells him to do), then the parental units will think he is perfect for Jessa.

How Ben truly behaves toward Jessa in private and what she thinks of him probably don't account for anywhere near as much with JB and M, as long as he joins the dog and pony show and makes the Duggar family look good in public.

Judging by his Facebook posts, Ben doesn't appear to have a single independent thought in that pretty little head of his, and I think that's just the way that Jim Bob likes him.

Exactly. An independent mind would be a bad sign for Jim Bob. This guy is young and easily controlled which is why he was allowed to court Jessa. Despite "leave and cleave" I highly doubt Jim Bob will loosen his grip on Jessa's life when she is married.

That dress wouldn't pass Duggar standards with or without cap lace sleeves though.

So, on Ben's Ministry Fan Page, he posted this:

Hey y'all! I hope I can be an encouragement to you! Let me know if you need prayer! God bless!

and someone in the comments posted about "Do you want to do a prayer exchange? I'm praying for , what would you like me to pray for for you?"

Now, I'm not knocking prayer (I am a Catholic, after all, which means I've got like, 3,000 saints praying for me! :lol: ). But the way this comes across, it's like prayers are the new baseball cards.

So...is Ben saying that people should just choose not to be anxious? Or is he saying people should pray and their anxiety will magically go away? The former may be possible for some people (I wouldn't know, given that I have anxiety), but the latter is almost guaranteed to disappoint you. Unless prayer really relaxes you, I guess.

Think we can get Ben to come play with us sometime when he's married and has his own computer? He seems deliciously corruptible.

So...is Ben saying that people should just choose not to be anxious? Or is he saying people should pray and their anxiety will magically go away? The former may be possible for some people (I wouldn't know, given that I have anxiety), but the latter is almost guaranteed to disappoint you. Unless prayer really relaxes you, I guess.

Think we can get Ben to come play with us sometime when he's married and has his own computer? He seems deliciously corruptible.

He's got quite an internet footprint. I think Ben may outdo smuggles when it comes to online snarkability in the long run. Smuggles has become quite boring...

I hope Jessa gets Facebook too when she is out of there. Although then again, most of what she posts will probably be Gothard shit and she will probably come across as holier than thou and hateful, after all, she was raised by Michelle and Jimbob, shes one of the less kool aid drinking ones, but I cant expect a miracle.....but I want to corrupt a Jslave.

The Latin at the end is pretty common for fundies and ubet conservative Christians (I know many people who end their emails that way) but the anxiety stuff is reminding me of an email I got from my then best friend when we were either 19 or 20, when she told me there is no mental disorder that doesn't take roots in my soul and no worldly shrink could see that. Yeah. And I was sinning and God was allowibg it to happen and stuff. the email was nuts.

I hate the anxiety is a sin stuff. Ugh. I worry that one of the children has major depression, and isn't getting treatment because they believe you can pray it out. Or you are depressed because your heart isn't right with God. and that breaks my heart.

Also lol @ the Latin at the end

A case of believing 'quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur'??

in case you don't know the Latin and don't want to Google:

'whatever is said in Latin sounds profound'

Fuck you.....you little turd! Anxiety isn't a sin. It is a legitimate condition. You can take you cherry picked, taken out of context Bible verses and stick them up your fundie ass!

He now posted a status with the hashtag #AbolishHumanAbortion. Why qualify it with "human?" Is there a separate movement to end animal abortion?

If you spay and neuter your pets, you're causing abortions! Just like birth control causes daily abortions, so does spaying and neutering!

I don't know. I can't think of other abortions we're causing because of all those girl scout cookies we consume. Horse abortions? Elephants? Chickens? Yes, chickens!!! Because we eat the eggs and we don't let the chick form!

eta: spelling

i think it is private. His page is 19 hours old and appears to be a fan page.

facebook.com/benL4CSeewald

I can still see his regular FB page.

If you spay and neuter your pets, you're causing abortions! Just like birth control causes daily abortions, so does spaying and neutering!

I don't know. I can't think of other abortions we're causing because of all those girl scout cookies we consume. Horse abortions? Elephants? Chickens? Yes, chickens!!! Because we eat the eggs and we don't let the chick form!eta: spelling

Heck a factory production doesn't even have rosters so there is no possibility of a chick forming on those eggs so Ihave no idea what a Fundie would make of thatQQ

Heck a factory production doesn't even have rosters so there is no possibility of a chick forming on those eggs so Ihave no idea what a Fundie would make of thatQQ

You got me - I have no idea how/why/when chicks form. :embarrassed:

Archived