IGNORED

The Truth About Ruth - Part 3

happy atheist

There's been very little reaction as far as I've seen, aside from GOMI and calulu (not sure if I'm spelling the latter correctly). GOMI seems more interested in bitching about FJ and less about RR. I'm a little surprised, as I thought here would be more of a response.

Of course, I needed help to make the RR connections, so I may be missing things due to my Googling disability.

I think a more apt name for the fundie forum on GOMI would be Bitching About FJ ! I'm not sure how its a fundie snark forum when it's almost entirely bitching about what they don't like here.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet they already knew she was a fake in some way, because she is apparently from a family well known in ATI who was close enough to meet the Duggars and have their photo on their wall of family friends....and yet none of the fundies knew anyone who knew her, and didnt know any of the scandals in her life, like Rachel's pregnancy, adoption of her baby and marriage to an older man, or of her father's death.

Us confirming it is nothing new to them, as they took one look at the story and said "nope, Satan is just trying to lure people out" and ignored it.

+1

Forced marriages? Two ATI women north of 40 giving birth to micropreemies within a year? Training bras? Father freaking out over menarche?

Anyone in ATI who paid attention at all is probably congratulating themselves on being smarter than the libruhls.

A blogger responded which is basically a giant fuck you get a life FJ

calulu.blogspot.com/2013/07/razing-ruth-and-free-jinger.html?m=1

I love when morons call fellow members of the same site they are visiting and commenting on, call the members losers with nothing else better to do. I mean, how would they know unless they, too, spent just as much time on the website. You'll find a lot of this on Youtube, where people say nasty things about the content and to other users. Dude, you're there, too. If you don't like it or the other members, leave. Not brain surgery.

I found this quote from Calulu as one of the reasons they won't be taking Ruth's story down really, really disturbing;

"2. Ruth's series was a good one that others were helped by so it really doesn't matter who Ruth really is. Not my business and it really shouldn't be anyone elses."

I realize we can't expect journalistic ethics from a blog on the internet, but c'mon. If I was an ex-fundie helped by Ruth's story, then found out she was a fake, but the story was allowed to stay on a site that purported to be on my side, I wouldn't be happy I was duped. And I'd feel like I was being duped by both Ruth as well as NLQ.

Perhaps the hits and possibly money (don't know if that site is monetized) happening because of the controversy is more valuable than the truth. Bad publicity is good publicity, right? :roll:

I don't think she was as much of a blip on their radar as we might have thought.

Yeah... I think the idea that Ruth was actually so noticed came mostly from Ruth

I love when morons call fellow members of the same site they are visiting and commenting on, call the members losers with nothing else better to do. I mean, how would they know unless they, too, spent just as much time on the website. You'll find a lot of this on Youtube, where people say nasty things about the content and to other users. Dude, you're there, too. If you don't like it or the other members, leave. Not brain surgery.

Hahahaha, this is, like, the most hilarious thing about the internet. Everyone sits around on the internet calling other people on the internet losers for spending time on the internet.

Why would she bother? She's still got a ton of support; hell, the faithful are probably upping their donations to make up for the "persecution". No one is gonna prosecute. As long as she has adamant supporters who are doubling down, she's got nothing to lose and everything to gain (everything being $$$$ in this case.)

Exactly. Leaving the sites up and just "melting away" is probably the least suspicious thing to do, and that way if she does still have die-hard believers (or new visitors who find the blog and don't read through to the end) she might still get the odd hit of money, so why not?

If she instantly scrubs her presence when rumors of her being a scammer surface, it's like admitting guilt, plus if she has to confront anyone it'd be embarrassing. Far easier to just say "okay then the jig is up, I'm writing off that part of my internet life" and never visiting those sites again, letting them naturally expire when the hosting does, etc.

I think a more apt name for the fundie forum on GOMI would be Bitching About FJ ! I'm not sure how its a fundie snark forum when it's almost entirely bitching about what they don't like here.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Yes there are people who have snarked on FJ on the GOMI thread but they are by and large sticking to the topic of Ruth, IMO. I don't understand the butthurt about it. People are bitching freely about GOMI over here. Who cares?

I wonder if many fundies know about the Razing Ruth blog. Is she really that known in internet circles? Our circle might be big, but it seems to me that she sort of stayed within a specific type of internet sphere.

Even if they knew about her, would they care? As others have said on the other thread, who would want to leave fundie-hood to have a life like Ruth's life? My thought is if they are reading this thread is that they would feel more self-important. Like, "Look at those fools who believed Ruth's story, Ruth is obviously lying because no REAL Christian/ATI/Quiverfull person would behave like Ruth's family has.

I suppose at the most they'd feel vindicated and more settled in their lifestyle.

I think maybe if fundies read Ruth's blog and did believe it was real despite none of their friends knowing about their family, they wouldnt mind so much about it being out there because it seems more like a morality kind of tale to them-Ruth was unhappy in ATI, but look, she left, and God punishes her by giving her health problems, money problems, having everyone she knows being mean to her...better stay and drink the kool aid, rebellious ATI member, or God will punish you by making you live in poverty with health problems and nobody on the outside will like you because theyre all evil. Their biggest problem was that it made the dad look evil.

The survivor blogs theyre most likely to have a problem with are the ones where the ex fundie leaves, and after catching up on their education, gets a decent job, meets nice people who treat them better than the fundies, ends up in a happy relationship and lives happily ever after...

Exactly. Leaving the sites up and just "melting away" is probably the least suspicious thing to do, and that way if she does still have die-hard believers (or new visitors who find the blog and don't read through to the end) she might still get the odd hit of money, so why not?

If she instantly scrubs her presence when rumors of her being a scammer surface, it's like admitting guilt, plus if she has to confront anyone it'd be embarrassing. Far easier to just say "okay then the jig is up, I'm writing off that part of my internet life" and never visiting those sites again, letting them naturally expire when the hosting does, etc.

It would also be admitting people were right. For example, if the Lady of Many Identities started scrubbing her fb account, then it's a pretty obvious admission that the fb persona is worried about something, particularly since she wasn't named anywhere until late last night.

Looks like the blowhards at FreeJinger are patting themselves on the back for outting Ruth. Just a few days ago they were stopping everyone from talking about it. I blame NLQ and FreeJinger for backing up Ruth all these years. Vicky Garrison and Aletco vouched for her. I never would of donated if people at FreeJinger weren't so adement that Ruth was real.

I saw this on GOMI and laugh so much because its true! Every time I read Ruth story here Im thinking omg shes so full of shit. I see every body here love Ruth so much, liking her because she revolt to her father and religion, and this made you all BLIND. :lol: I was nervous to say youre stupid because I was new to here and I dont like it to get my ass kick, but ha kick my ass now I dont care.

Sorry, but the post from GOMI should make people be more smart, just because some one say RELIGION RUINED MY LIFE you hold them up on a divan. You drank her koolade LOL!

Heres my question, why was she believed so fast here by every one?

I saw this on GOMI and laugh so much because its true! Every time I read Ruth story here Im thinking omg shes so full of shit. I see every body here love Ruth so much, liking her because she revolt to her father and religion, and this made you all BLIND. :lol: I was nervous to say youre stupid because I was new to here and I dont like it to get my ass kick, but ha kick my ass now I dont care.

Sorry, but the post from GOMI should make people be more smart, just because some one say RELIGION RUINED MY LIFE you hold them up on a divan. You drank her koolade LOL!

It's pretty easy to see it all at once in hindsight. But a lot of this info was given over a very long period of time. If you look at threads on Yuku, half of them devolved into "I believe Ruth" and "I don't believe Ruth" no matter what the op was about. People did doubt, but after a couple of particularly nasty threads and pm's, people felt like you: they didn't want to be attacked for expressing a differing opinion, so they didn't.

Wow. Thanks, Oddeverything, for the site. I was pretty confused but it lays all the pertinent details out clearly.

Yes, thanks Oddeverything! From someone who can't read Chatter, I finally feel "in the loop".

She wasn't. Other people felt nervous about expressing reservations. Including me, and apparently you.

I don't think that compassionate and generous people who do fall for scams, Ruth's or others, should be ridiculed or called stupid.

ETA, tried to fix quote (damn) and see that Nerdymom1 got there before me.

Can't you answer your own question? I mean, you're so much smarter than everyone here and all.

I don't think that compassionate and generous people who do fall for scams, Ruth's or others, should be ridiculed or called stupid.

Agreed. I never gave her money and I was pretty sure she was full of it, but I think it's pretty mean spirited to laugh at/mock those who were swayed by the scammer, since I'm guessing based on these threads that they already feel pretty bad/embarrassed about it. They were just trying to help a person they believed to be struggling, and I don't think that's something to be ridiculed.

Sounds like that person on GOMI is feeling a bit stupid and feels the need to blame someone. I would ask why they donated money if they doubted "Ruth's" validity. In my mind it seems pretty stupid to go with something because 2 people on the internets said it was okay. :lol:

Alecto never spoke for all of FJ, and Vyckie sure as hell never did. I first encountered "Ruth" when she started posting on TWoP as "ofduggar" and read her blog from the get go for some time before getting bored with it. I was always skeptical. And she was doubted many a time here in various threads. I never donated but I wouldn't go about calling people who did stupid. Except for maybe that GOMI poster.

As I was reading the blog, where all this is being kindly pointed out by a special lady, I clicked on Ruths blog and tada (copying in case it gets deleted ...)

Razing Ruth, july 15:

Leaving story up...the rest isn't worth it.

Thank you to all who have expressed support and help during my move. I regret that I couldn't provide some of you with the feeling of "proving" my identity to your standards. Some people came up with the wrong conclusions and for that I am sorry. I've been accused of being many different people and that's not true at all. I do apologize for any hurt feelings and any problems this has caused the freejinger or ex-ATI universe. I pray that all will find peace and that someday I will have the courage to state my identity loud and proud. For now, that's not possible. This blog gave me the courage to get this new job and to move to a new place and I'll never regret having it for that reason. I will never regret the connections I've made. I just think that for the sake of everyone, it's time to move on. I'm leaving up the posts about my life because there's nothing to be ashamed of. Comments on some of the last posts are being removed because some people were leaving nasty comments or deleting comments themselves. I realize this won't stop the conversation but I don't have the emotional capacity to handle the accusations or the false claims at the moment. I have a job that I need to keep up and I need to concentrate on being healthy.

:violin:

ETA: She deleted ALL of the comments on her "A Plea" post. Guess the scrubbing has begun.

As I was reading the blog, where all this is being kindly pointed out by a special lady, I clicked on Ruths blog and tada (copying in case it gets deleted ...)

Razing Ruth, july 15:

Leaving story up...the rest isn't worth it.

Thank you to all who have expressed support and help during my move. I regret that I couldn't provide some of you with the feeling of "proving" my identity to your standards. Some people came up with the wrong conclusions and for that I am sorry. I've been accused of being many different people and that's not true at all. I do apologize for any hurt feelings and any problems this has caused the freejinger or ex-ATI universe. I pray that all will find peace and that someday I will have the courage to state my identity loud and proud. For now, that's not possible. This blog gave me the courage to get this new job and to move to a new place and I'll never regret having it for that reason. I will never regret the connections I've made. I just think that for the sake of everyone, it's time to move on. I'm leaving up the posts about my life because there's nothing to be ashamed of. Comments on some of the last posts are being removed because some people were leaving nasty comments or deleting comments themselves. I realize this won't stop the conversation but I don't have the emotional capacity to handle the accusations or the false claims at the moment. I have a job that I need to keep up and I need to concentrate on being healthy.

This was just added to her blog post:

Editing to add (mainly because a friend/reader suggested it): my identity has been proven to people I meet in real life. I realize that failing to share it with ALL of you is the main reason for all of this doubt. I accept the responsibility for the speculation. It was a great four years and I love those of you I've met in person or spoke to along the way by phone or email. I hope we can still communicate. Ruth

If you knew she was full of shit, it was wrong of you to be keeping it from us. Anyone can say "I knew it!" with the benefit of hindsight.

Editing to add (mainly because a friend/reader suggested it): my identity has been proven to people I meet in real life. I realize that failing to share it with ALL of you is the main reason for all of this doubt. I accept the responsibility for the speculation. It was a great four years and I love those of you I've met in person or spoke to along the way by phone or email. I hope we can still communicate. Ruth

Bullshit. Where are all those people she supposedly met in real life? Anyone? Anyone at all? Bueller?

*crickets* :whistle:

I left a comment on that post, again posting the link to the truth-about-ruth blog. Let's see if she deletes that, too.

ETA: PS--I like your username. I agree! :lol:

Well, she's right that her identity has been proven to people she knows. It's just that it's not Ruth, an ex-ATI fundie.

Editing to add (mainly because a friend/reader suggested it): my identity has been proven to people I meet in real life.

Oh, well, that settles it!

If you knew she was full of shit, it was wrong of you to be keeping it from us. Anyone can say "I knew it!" with the benefit of hindsight.

Eh, oil's post was douchey but Ruth was a really touchy topic on here for a long time.

Archived