IGNORED

The Truth About Ruth - Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just learning about this. I did not donate a cent, despite a desire to (I am a case manager, overworked and underpaid, but glad to have a job and make a difference). I am sorry to all those who did. You showed that you are compassionate and regardless of who the taker turned out to be, the fact that you gave speaks well of you all.

I donated $25.oo. My one comfort is that when I did it, I promised myself to only ever do it once. Even though I believed her, I didn't have $ to endlessly throw into the pot. And yes, princess Jo got slammed for doubting, and yes by me. Princess Jo, I so so regret that. I hope you can forgive me (if you even read here anymore). I even got a whole christian community I was on online invested in her/caring for her. Argh. Now I'll have to take everything with a grain of salt. I hope Quivering daughters is real (that wasn't drama filled and no one asked for money, though..so...). ...

I donated $25.oo. My one comfort is that when I did it, I promised myself to only ever do it once. Even though I believed her, I didn't have $ to endlessly throw into the pot. And yes, princess Jo got slammed for doubting, and yes by me. Princess Jo, I so so regret that. I hope you can forgive me (if you even read here anymore). I even got a whole christian community I was on online invested in her/caring for her. Argh. Now I'll have to take everything with a grain of salt. I hope Quivering daughters is real (that wasn't drama filled and no one asked for money, though..so...). ...

Quivering daughters is real I've interacted with Hilary and my friend was given a free copy of her book to help get the word out when it was first published. Hilary has offered her books out for free and has never hit anyone up for money and she paid to have her book self published.

Man, I'm not even halfway through Part 1 yet and you guys are already on part 3. This is riveting. I never followed Ruth much at all. When I occasionally read her blog, it would go through my mind that this story was almost too good to be true, too exciting to be true, that the author wrote unusually well for anyone, let alone an SOTDRT gradate. I didn't follow her blog much because of those nagging doubts, now that I think about it. I'd think things along the lines of "Razing Ruth's story is so perfect, her blog is so well-written, she provides such a good argument against fundamentalism, she's so blameless and likeable, and progressive...I sure hope no fundy uses this to claim she's not real!" I was so close to being skeptical, but I didn't want to believe she was a fraud.

When I look at the old Yuku board due to links someone posted, I have to wonder what happened to all those old posters. NeonJungle, kittypie, bunny, Crackedeggs, SunnyAndrsn, clarinet power, etc., etc., etc.

When I look at the old Yuku board due to links someone posted, I have to wonder what happened to all those old posters. NeonJungle, kittypie, bunny, Crackedeggs, SunnyAndrsn, clarinet power, etc., etc., etc.

NeonJungle is busy with real life and will be back once work settles down a bit later this year. I know a fair number of people changed their names during the Rapture, so it's possible people are here, but have changed names and we don't know them under the new name. I don't know for sure on any of the other people you mention.

I hope the fact you may have been scammed does not sour you on giving aid to those who need it. The worth of money depends far less on its denomination than it what it actually buys: If, for example, a $100 donation can keep food on the table for a family with children, then it’s worth more to them than a large roll of $20s in some other person’s pocket.

I have a great husband and a better life than I could possibly deserve. On those occasions when I discover I’ve been scammed, and after the pang of anger has passed, I think to myself that I’d rather risk giving money to a scammer than risk depriving people of necessities for life when I have it within my power to help them.

I hope the fact you may have been scammed does not sour you on giving aid to those who need it. The worth of money depends far less on its denomination than it what it actually buys: If, for example, a $100 donation can keep food on the table for a family with children, then it’s worth more to them than a large roll of $20s in some other person’s pocket.

I have a great husband and a better life than I could possibly deserve. On those occasions when I discover I’ve been scammed, and after the pang of anger has passed, I think to myself that I’d rather risk giving money to a scammer than risk depriving people of necessities for life when I have it within my power to help them.

QFT.

I suspected Ruth was not legit when I read the story of her first period. That was just not believable. She claimed that her father first assumed she had lost her virginity and exploded with anger, then was happy when he figured out it was just her period and invited her to mark it on the family calendar. That's too contradictory. Either they celebrate menstruation and make a big deal about announcing it to the family, or they panic and shame the girl, but it can't be both those things at once.

I'm skeptical of the whole period-on-the-calendar thing in general. Reading through ATI materials and ATI family blogs, I just don't see anything about this and I wonder if it's either Duggar-specific or largely urban legend.

Eh, I don't know. I had a school friend from a totally non-religious family and when we were 12 or so her mom would have her and her two sisters mark the first day of their periods on the calendar each month. I always thought it was so she could keep up with when she needed to stock up on Tampax for them. There's plenty shady about RR but that particular story (marking periods on calendar) didn't strike me as totally unbelievable.

My mum always put a dot on the calendar on the date she started and finished her period, and she encouraged my sister and me to start the practice on the calendars in our bedrooms or in diaries.

Tracking and being aware of your cycles and fertility is a good thing.

I don't doubt some people do it--I am skeptical that it's an ATI-mandated religious practice. Someone who just wants his daughters to track cycles for health or practicality would be unlikely to react in anger at a first period the way "Ruth"'s father supposedly did.

I found "RR" while researching the Duggar/Gothard connection and was fascinated by her.I was pretty excited to find her her at FJ when I came here.Although I thought alot about donating, I just didn't feel I was in a position to do so....Boy am I glad I didn't!

When this whole scam came to light I did alot of reading to form my own opinion.(Thanks to all who provided links and info).I'm really disappointed that I found too many inconsistancies in her stories to continue believing her/him.....and I REALLY wanted to believe her.Trying to tell myself I shouldn't feel stupid, but I kinda do.:-(

"A lie disguised within the truth is ever the blackest of lies"

There's plenty shady about RR but that particular story (marking periods on calendar) didn't strike me as totally unbelievable.

I have to agree

I have seen both Sunny Andrsn and clarinet power post here recently (as in last 3 months).

Oh, really? I miss lots. I'm kind of oblivious. :lol: Although I thought I might have seen clarinet power.

Speaking of the menstrual calendar, I use monthlyinfo.com calendar and I love it. I have, like, a fucking chart and everything. I'm not really like a 'happy period, moon time, goddess love!' kind of person but it's kinda nice and handy, especially the way it texts me two days before to give a heads up.

This was my thought exactly. Thank you for stating it much more elegantly than I did.

Speaking of the menstrual calendar, I use monthlyinfo.com calendar and I love it. I have, like, a fucking chart and everything. I'm not really like a 'happy period, moon time, goddess love!' kind of person but it's kinda nice and handy, especially the way it texts me two days before to give a heads up.

That sounds kind of neat, but I can't find much about it on the website. Does it let you track symptoms other than your period itself? Like could I use it to track PMS symptoms, the exact duration of my period, when I have mid-month spotting, when I get certain types of cramps, which painkillers I had to take, and which days I missed a pill? Or is just to predict when your period will start?

It just tells you your period and ovulation dates. It's pretty basic.

Alright then, I think I'll just keep logging it all by hand. My periods are unpredictable and you're not supposed to ovulate when you're on birth control.

I use a tracking app and I love it. So nice to be able to predict my period by more than just my premenstrual nervous breakdowns. :lol:

A blogger responded which is basically a giant fuck you get a life FJ

calulu.blogspot.com/2013/07/razing-ruth-and-free-jinger.html?m=1

Archived