IGNORED

John Shrader in Burundi

GeoBQn

I suspect John is having an early midlife crisis from being 'all things fundie'.

There's nothing mid/quarter/other life about the Shrader family's crises. John has a long and not-so-proud history of leaving or being sacked on the occasions he does find work. He's just too good to be selling cars or mowing other people's lawns or taking orders from any boss. He's the alpha male and he should be the one in control, dammit. My prediction is that this will be as good as it gets for Esther and the kids for another twenty years or more. There seems to be no prospect for a stable job (ever), the missionary/pastor gig is never going to become anything like financially viable, and the insistence on continual quiverfilling means there will just be more mouths to feed, more bodies to cloth and find beds for and less time or attention to go around.

It's so damn depressing. It's depressing to see the desperately poor QF families trying to eke out an existence. It's yet another step down to see a desperately poor QF family even worse off than they have to be because the headship is too proud and lazy to get any kind of paid work. They're placed on a pedestal by simply by virtue of having a penis, the least they can do is put a little effort into keeping their charges fed and sheltered.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes,I'm jw what Pa Keller thinks of this whole charade.Does he find it acceptable b/c it's missionary work,or does he think otherwise? Or if John spoke to him about it b/f undertaking it,like Josh did w his new job and move.(not quite the same,I know).

I think a lot of ppl assume missionary work is self-sacrificing,noble,etc.But the ones doing the sacrificing are John's wife and kids.I think he enjoys traveling the country,going on the overseas trips,and having everyone else support them.

But hey,at least he got a free accordion,right? :O

All I can say is,if this were my daughter and her family,we would be having a serious talk!

ETA: I think missionary work is fine,for those who are able to do it without sacrificing their families or marriage.Like for single ppl,or couples without children.

What kind of organization would allow a man with a wife and 8 kids to do such an undertaking? No wonder they are on the move a lot,it must be draining the resources of those who are helping to support his large brood.

I want to know what Pa Keller thinks too. It would also be interesting to know what Daniel Keller and Rebekah's (Keller) husband think. They have left ATI although they are still conservative Christians.

I'm OK with missionary work, except that I believe evangelizing should be kept to an absolute minimum (live your faith don't force feed it to others) and missionaries should have useful skills and knowledge to share. Otherwise they are just evangelizing parasites on the local economy.

To the bolded: there is no organization. "At Zambia" is composed of John Shrader, Daniel Rea, and a schoolteacher, whose name I forget. I suspect that John and Esther will be wearing out their welcome in many places soon.

Well, another day has passed here in Burundi, and we find ourselves back where we have access to Internet. The cost is about 50 cents for thirty minutes, as long as you don't go to the "high end" internet cafes designed for Muzungus! Pastor Douglas will be returning to Zambia tomorrow morning, and Blessing, the young man he was training, just told us that he accidentally dropped his passport in Lake Tanganika on the way here as they were transitioning from ship to ship! (Not sure why he waited to tell us...) They are trying to get paperwork today, but if Blessing has to stay behind, at least he has family here in Bujumbura! We will remain here until Wed. morning, when we go to the airport to prepare to fly out Wed pm. which will be Wed am for you there in the States. We are about eight hours ahead of you, so if you want to know what tomorrow will be like, we can tell you, because we have already been there! Yesterday was a banner day for walking, I walked at least 8-10 miles! We literally walked from morning until night, with few breaks! After lunch Pastor Douglas and Blessing (Bro. Leonce) and I walked many more miles to go price a return bus ticket for them to Zambia. The concrete boat is not available when they need it to be, so they will take a three day bus ride. As we walked for those many extra miles, I saw Muslim Mosques, trees with thousands of bats hanging in them, and thousands of souls that need Christ. One humerous moment occurred when I had a brief conversation with a man in Karundi, to which he began exclaiming, (Blessing translated for me) "I AM GOING TO GO TELL MY FRIENDS THAT I SAW A WHITE MAN TODAY SPEAKING KARUNDI!!!!" It was a time of good laughter for the three of us as we continued our long walk to the other side of the Capitol where the Bus Station was. The office consisted of a storage shed like room with a single desk. This was the office for the Main Bus line! We returned after dark, and on the way to where we stay I bought us all a "Nutty." This was Blessings FIRST time to try ice cream...at 27 years old! Arcade is continuing to hand write out the book of Romans when we are not walking or having times of training in the Word. He is almost to chapter nine! He is also writing out questions that arise as he writes out the Scripture. I am in John chapter 4 now, and let me tell you, writing out the Word of God verse by verse by hand is a life-changing experience! I am so excited as I begin to incorporate this immersion in God Word into my life daily! It brings an awareness and reality of the Word into your heart and mind in a whole new way! We still have been unable to get with Eddy and Arnaud, we are not sure why. They are in a different part of town and we are waiting on them to call. Please pray that we can have at least one more time of discipleship with them before we leave Burundi. Our desire would be to meet with them every day, but the distance, their working secular jobs, and other obstacles have prevented this. We should be able to continue contact with them through email after we leave, but there is nothing like studying the Word of God together! Please pray for Arcade. He desires to come to Zambia and study the Word of God, and we are trusting God to make a way for him when we come, which will not be very long. God has shown us some things in His Word, as well as through this trip, which have opened our eyes and clarified many things that were unclear before. Your prayers are a big part of this, so those of you who are faithfully and fervantly praying, please do not stop! If you would consider praying for us daily I know you will be encouraged by seeing your prayers answered as God mightily moves and powerfully works! As we step out in faith, we are confident God is going to answer us as well call unto Him, and shew us "great and mighty things" which we know not! It is so exciting to be a part of what God is doing here in Africa, and this is only the beginning!!! If this is the beginning, what shall the end be? Just two weeks in this Capitol city has already resulted in us being known, welcomed, and hearts opened. We know this is not where God wants us permanently, but as there is little being done here, as God allows, we desire to see a strong Biblical New Testament church raised up here that will begin to carry out the Great Commission here in Burundi! Please pray for our families as we begin making preparation and plans to move to Zambia. This is no small feat for two families totalling eighteen people! There are many logistical issues to face and overcome, so please pray for wisdom and help from the Lord as we begin to move this direction. We love you all so much, and those that take the time to share our posts, comments, and most importantly PRAY...we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Burdened in Burundi,

John Shrader

Blessing? They are calling a grown man Blessing?

Have we heard what's happening with Esther & the kids? Are they still camper dwelling?

Does anyone else think that there might be something else going on with "Blessing" and his passport? Like there is a reason he wants to stay behind and waited till the last minute to tell them that he lost his passport?

Does anyone else think that there might be something else going on with "Blessing" and his passport? Like there is a reason he wants to stay behind and waited till the last minute to tell them that he lost his passport?

Totally.

Yep! Totally.

I suppose "Blessing" is also Bro. Leonce.

After lunch Pastor Douglas and Blessing (Bro. Leonce) and I walked many more miles to go price a return bus ticket for them to Zambia. The concrete boat is not available when they need it to be, so they will take a three day bus ride.

It seems that the Lord is slipping on his glorious provisions. They have to take a bus! Where is the Burundi navy when you need it?

And inquiring minds want to know whether Eddy and Arnaud have done a runner. They seem curiously unavailable.

We still have been unable to get with Eddy and Arnaud, we are not sure why. They are in a different part of town and we are waiting on them to call. Please pray that we can have at least one more time of discipleship with them before we leave Burundi.

Note to John: Capital not capitol. Humorous not humerous. Fervently not fervantly.

Note to John: Capital not capitol. Humorous not humerous. Fervently not fervantly.

And is Burdened in Burundi the straight-to-video, Christian version of Sleepless in Seattle? :shifty:

He has family there. I suspect he needed a trip home and has no need to go anywhere else.

And his latest FB entry.

Summary: all beliefs other than mine are wrong, wrong, wrong; it is fine to grift bread and cokes from false believers, especially Charismatic "fake Baptists"; I run away from questions and challenges to my doctrine; I'm so cool because I learned the word Muzungus; Africans are generous to Westerners and there is no need to worry about security in these countries. If unbelievers like those two bikers managed to stay safe and got rescued by Africans when they got into trouble, then super-speshul Christians like me will be just fine bumbling around.

And he is still Burdened in Burundi. I guess it has a nice alliterative ring to it.

Here you go:

Just have to share a brief testimony, will share more later. We had two amazing experiences today. First, we happened across a "Baptist" church! We were excited, amazed how they had built their own building, all was going well until we asked them what they believed about tongues. The short version is that you have full Charisimatic doctrine...healing, revelations, tongues, the works! As David used to be a Pentecostal, God has equipped him in an incredible way to deal with these false doctrines. We shared the Bible with them, and some heard, but one man began to accuse us of being like the snake in the Garden of Eden and teaching false doctrine! At this we exited stage left, thanking them for their kind hospitality and the cokes and bread they had bought us. As we left we heard a very heated discussion behind us. Some actually heard the truth, but it highlights the need for a good church with pure doctrine here!

Then we had a shocking experience yet again this evening! We ran into two Muzungus who are riding across Africa, one on a bike and the other on a motorcycle. The man riding the bike had ridden from Egypt and was headed to Tanzania (just passing though!) They shared how the people in these countries had welcomed them, provided hositality, fed and housed them, and even cared for them when they found themselves with no other help. They have been invited into homes, people have purchased soft drinks for them, just as they have for us. In Sudan they would not even allow them to buy anything for themselves, in fact, they said many refused payment. The security concerns many have about these countries are simply invalid. This has been our experience here as well. If these men have been so graciously received as they just pass through as travelers, how much more will we be received when we come and bring the Word of God! It was refreshing to hear another testimony from a secular source of the exact thing that we have experienced here in Burundi! God is good.

Much more could be shared, but this is enough for now. Thank you so much for praying.

Burdened in Burundi,

John (for the team)

Wait, even the other Baptists are teaching false doctrine? Seriously, how can anyone win here :cray-cray:

The security concerns many have about these countries are simply invalid. This has been our experience here as well. If these men have been so graciously received as they just pass through as travelers, how much more will we be received when we come and bring the Word of God!

Ha. Ha ha. HAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: Because clearly a simple traveler is exactly the same as a person who has come to shit on your culture and tell you your beliefs are TOTALLY WRONG. I mean, historically, missionaries have been received better than anyone and never, ever been beaten up, run out of town or put to death, amirite?

The are IFB, right? They are the worst kind about even other Baptist being godless heathens.

I'd really like to see pictures of this clusterfuck mission, but I guess God wanted John to have an accordion instead of a a camera.

eta: It just dawned on me that he probably doesn't have good, if any internet access, so I'll give him a pass. Maybe he'll post pics upon his return.

He has family there. I suspect he needed a trip home and has no need to go anywhere else.

You are probably right. I'm rather amused that this trip has seemed to be one be failure with him getting scammed left and right. I bet the two guys who are not contacting him probably won't.

Pardon me if this has been posted here but Burundi outlawed the gays in 2009.

Pardon me if this has been posted here but Burundi outlawed the gays in 2009.

I'm sure our guy John views this as a good thing.

How dare those other baptists believe in healing and miracles?! Haven't they read the bible, there's nothing like that in there, right?

TIC

John Shrader is in a suffering country and he brags about having dicked a barber into giving him a haircut for $1.30? Seriously? What – the budget for Shrader’s all expenses paid vacation didn’t allow the latitude for him to pay the barber’s asking price?

But then I guess given that his family of ten lives in a tent trailer, Shrader has to save all the money he can - unless he’s using it to purchase luxury items for a dignitary or spending it on himself. Fucking asshole.

Latest Schrader Update Summary:

Praise the Lord, Eddy and Arnaud have reappeared. Eddy has been slipping in faith but we dealt with that. We are still grifting happily away -- Arnaud bought us soft drinks and paid for our taxi home after bible study at his house. They trashed their former pastor to us too, so all is good. They won't be going back to that fake "church."

I'm having fun negotiating in the market place. I'm a natural at bargaining. I bought a whole load of books for US$15.00 [how many soft drinks and taxi rides would that have paid for, John?]

We have no plan for the future. God is directing our steps. [Here's hoping that you stay in the USA and take care of your family, John. You are wasting everyone's time in Burundi, you parasite.]

We prayed for a taxi and one appeared through the providence of the Lord. It was extra cheap too. God is amazeballs.

Still Burdened [especially after buying all those books] in Burundi!

I'm beginning to think that John Shrader is reading here so . . . Note to John: Warfare not warefare. Nucleus not necleus. Those are mistakes you've made before not just typos.

And FFS, buy someone else a Coke for once in your grifting life, you stingy prick!

We had an amazing day yesterday! It was awesome to watch God guide our steps and arrange our day! We were finally able to get together with both Eddy and Arnaud, they have truly been involved in spiritual warefare to keep us apart. Eddy has been out of town with work, and Arnaud has been dealing with a series of problems and difficulties. What a blessing it was to meet with both of these men (Eddy in the morning and Arnaud in the evening) and see that it is not their lack of desire or hunger for the Word of God that has kept us apart. We dealt with some very serious issues with Eddy in the morning, and it was wonderful to see him receive the Word of God, and then had a sweet Bible study at Arnaud's house again in the evening. Again these precious people bought US soft drinks and THEY paid for our taxi home as they did last week! Truly they are sacrificing, and ministering unto us in these "carnal" things as we minister unto them in the spiritual (Rom. 15:27). It is so precious to see them give out of their poverty just as the churches of Macedonia did (II Cor. 8:1, 2). Both men have decided (on their own) that they cannot return to the "church" they were attending. Just a few examples of many that could be given: The pastor was offered money to change the name of the church, and would have done it, but these men, even though they were not truly saved, had enough discernment to want to examine the doctrine before changing the name! They wanted to study the Bible a few years ago, so they sat down with that same pastor for about three hours, and in that entire time their testimony was that he basically did not impart any teaching or substance at all! It is a "church" that does not preach the true Gospel, and there are many other issues as well. We will be having a service tomorrow at the homes of one of the men, and Eddy, his wife Anita, Arnaud, and Arcade (the young man we have been discipling the entire time we have been here) will form a necleus of what we believe God will help to become a Biblical church in His time! What a joy, and yet what a heartache to have to say goodbye in a few short days. We are thankful that we will have email contact with these men, as well as through fb with Arnaud, and we are already praying about a return trip as soon as the Lord allows. There is so much to do, and we are just letting God direct our path and divinely order our steps. Arcade has written out the Book of Romans all the way to chapter 12 now...it is a joy to sit with him as I am writing out the Book of John! God has knit our hearts in a special way, and I know it will be very hard for me to say goodbye to this precious brother, as well as Eddy, Anita, and Arnaud in just a few days. On a lighter note, I have had fun negotiating prices in the markets, guess it's just in my blood! I even found a use book stall that had some antiquarian books, including a two volume set of Spurgeon's "Lectures to My Students" from the 1800's! There were several other old books, and I bought the entire lot for about 15.00 US (after some heavy negotiation)! Bro. Rea and I have had a tremendous time together, and God has drawn us even closer through this time...I am really looking forward to the future, it is going to be amazing. Pastor Douglas and Blessing left early this morning, I set my alarm and we got up to say goodbye (they were to leave by 4:00 am!) The taxi we had arranged to come never showed and his phone was off, so Pastor D. Sakuwaha, Blessing, and Arnaud and I set off down the hill with their luggage. We were praying that God would provide a taxi, as the bus station was a 2-3 hour walk across town, and they had to be there by 5:30! As we reached the bottom of the hill, a taxt came by us, and we whistled and shouted, but he drove on. In the providence of God, another taxi was driving by going the other way, and happened to stop when he heard us whistle. AMEN! Pastor Douglas and Blessing were able to get a ride and the fare was even 3,000 frances cheaper, 7,000 instead of 10,000 ($2.00 US). It is so amazing to see God's power, answers to prayer, and Leading so real on an every day basis here. I can't wait for my family to see and experience this with me. Thank you for your prayers, please pray for us as we meet tomorrow with these new disciples and new believers. As you are going to bed Sat. night, we will be having our services, so please lift us up in prayer! We love you all,

Burdened in Burundi,

John Shrader (for the team)

Ugh the last part... It actually pains me to imagine Esther and their eight kids joining them on this ridiculous adventure. I just can't even...

Who allows some poor family in Africa to buy them soft drinks and pay for a taxi? I would be ashamed to take it and certainly would not brag about it on facebook. If it is common in Burundi to have soft drinks while having a visit with another person, just go to the store and buy a couple and bring one for everyone. Also, pay for your own taxi. All he seems to do is take, take, take. He never gives, except with his bible lessons (maybe that's what he thinks people are paying for). He is the worst kind of person, to go to Africa and take from the poor people there. You can't get much lower than that.

Also, he seems to think that god is directing him in everything that he does and Satan is throwing up obsticals. Why is it not possible that god is giving problems because he is doing it wrong. He is the worst type of people.

John is a terrible writer, he cant spell and needs to learn how to use paragraphs. Hopefully Esther can write better, if shes homeschooling all of their kids. Maybe she needs to homeschool her husband as well.

I'm disappointed in Eddy and Arnaud. I was so hoping that, if they contacted John at all it would be to say that after consulting with the elders of their families or tribe, they had decided that they would not be abetting any more of John's batshit craziness.

I suppose I'm not really concerned about John Schrader lugging his family to Zambia because I don't think he will ever do it. He just hasn't thought everything through and I think this is a way to escape his responsibilities not bring them to Zambia with him.

There are just too many odd things about the TeamZambia effort in general. He and David Rea are so vague about the details although the Rea Family link has a tiny bit more information. The whole effort is bumble-headed and vague. Just send me money, and let God worry about the details! :lol:

Some of the many out-standing questions that I would have before sending him money (even if I approved of his "mission" which I categorically do not!) If anyone else has found the answers to any of this do chime in!

Rea and Shrader: "Ours in a ministry of church planting, supported by aviation, printing, a bible college, and multiple bush institutes, built on a foundation of 313 churches started over the last 25 years."

1. Built on whose foundation? What churches? What bible college? What multiple 'bush' institutes. Evidence? Links? Pictures? I've just seen a few generic White Folks in African Village-type photos so far. Are they perhaps talking about Bobby Bonner's "I AM Ministries?" If so, why not say so. I saw a brief mention on I AM Ministry website that Shrader and Rea would visit Zambia in July, but no real affiliation stated.

2. Aviation? Yes, they apparently have bought a small plane. How will that help them support their ministry? Are they setting up an aviation business in Zambia? With what seed money? What will they transport? Do they have pilot's licenses, even?

3. Printing? Do they have a printing press? Where is it? What are they going to print other than tracts?

4. Work Permits and Residency Permits in Zambia. These may be quite easy to get as missionaries but they have to have a Sponsoring Church back in the USA that will commit to donating money for all their needs in Zambia. If they get their permits as missionaries, will they be able to go into business legally?

5. They do apparently have a sponsoring church: Valley Baptist Church. No direct link given but I tracked that down in Washington State via the Pastor's name, Russell Tyree. On the other hand, Valley Baptist Church doesn't mention Rea and Shrader on the website, nor does it seem to be actively fund raising for Team Zambia.

6. Or are they going to be sponsored by one of their pastor friends in Zambia to work there? Again, if you want to raise $$ do be a bit more specific! What skills do you have to put on the Work Permit Application? Have bible, will preach is not enough. Have plane, will fly is probably not enough either.

7. David Rea seems to want to be a martyr and is willing to sacrifice his family's heath too. He comments on other "missionaries," Rex Switzer's death from malaria, an unnamed missionary's wife dying, and the aforementioned Bobby Bonner having had malaria many times. I wonder whether these folks were taking anti-malarial meds. No, they are not perfect preventatives (and some are becoming less effective) but better than nothing. John Schrader is probably anti-vaccine anyway, and believes that the Lord will keep those pesky mosquitoes away. To say nothing of other parasites and tropical diseases they could pick up. Will donors be expected to pay to airlift Shrader and Rea out if they get sick?

I somehow doubt that these two bozos will ever get it together enough to risk their families in Africa. They are putting them at risk in the USA already, although Rea has yet to stick his wife and family in a pop-up camper in someone else's yard.

Archived