IGNORED

John Shrader in Burundi

GeoBQn

Regardless of what you believe about the rightness or wrongness of being a missionary, I think JS is crazy. I have a good friend who is on mission in Africa right now...flying a plane in fact. He had to train for 3-4 years in Mission School as well as learn to fly a plane in the same way as any commercial pilot would have to. He works for a proper Missionary organisation and is held accountable for his safety, the upkeep of the plane and his family. His wife works as a teacher out there as well helping to support the family (Just 2 children!). He has to itemise every last cent sent to him and send regular reports to anyone who offers the family financial support. And yes....he does talk to the tax man an awful lot. He has his children in a proper school and they have a house owned by the organisation they work for which they use to offer hospitality to those around them and contribute to its upkeep also. What planet is JS on?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad for the parents but great for the kids. I think CPS has to have been involved in the past. Maybe even now. I'm sure they see them as religious lunatics and question the safety of the kids. Any more babies in that pop-up and it will set off even more alarms. CPS is not strict about a lot of things but when people move around in order to escape further detection, they get very angry I have had parents threaten to pull their kid out of the school following a call to CPS. CPS' response has always been the same, "Don't even try it!" I'm sure they don't have that type of authority but what they are really saying is that if you pull something like that or try to move we'll be on you like white on rice.

To the bolded, what makes you think CPS has been involved in the past? I've only recently been following John Schrader. I can see people wanting to report the situation to CPS because of John's irresponsibility, but ...

I agree with MsSaylor, I can't really think of any true "reportable conditions" for the children (at the moment) that would trigger an investigation. Daddy being a religious nutcase isn't enough. We may think he is a couple of French fries short of a Happy Meal, but a report would have to point to specific abuse and/or neglect.

Unlike the Sparkling One's children the little Shraders look clean and well fed in photos, not neglected. We haven't heard of any medical needs for the children being unmet so far. Spanking is still OK in many states. Home schooling or unschooling is not illegal, although I can't see how Esther is managing it under the circumstances. Moving them around would avoid any mandatory testing required by some states. It would also keep people from looking too closely.

Finally, are they really "homeless and destitute"? John Schrader may have some savings he can point to, and could claim that their "home" is with his parents and they are just taking a year to travel. There is also no law that would prevent him taking the whole family to Zambia if he wants, and can grift the money for the fares.

Oh I think CPS has been called. There's a lot that is reportable. Maybe not actionable, but reportable. Educational neglect is reportable to CPS. CPS seldom takes action on it but they will go out. Also, the crowded living conditions in the pop-up are also a concern.

They will take action with truancy. But I've never come in contact with a homeschooling family through my work. I think they might investigate a case of educational neglect with a hOmeschooling family but I'm not sure as I've not heard of it. If they did, the report would have to come from someone who knows the family IRL and has specific and compelling things to say about the situation.

The conditions on the pop up I'm not sure. I think it's very probable they would investigate but they may not remove. I gave seen relative foster homes approved where they are living in a motel room with the kids. Again I think they would screen out any report that came from "the Internet" unless it was very serious.

The Asshole has landed!

Yes, the Supreme Butthole of the Universe,™ Sharon Bailgoat, is back in Houston and reunited with his long suffering family. I guess Esther was staying close to John's parents.

He whines a bit about flight delays and says that it was nice to have hot water on the flight as there is no hot water in Burundi. I find that odd because he seems to have rented a house in a fairly nice section of Bujumbura and I'm surprised that it didn't have hot and cold running water. I'm not surprised that he is incapable of boiling water. He also spells humorous correctly in that post.

After a quick review of the word salad, I realize that I did John a massive injustice in one of my recaps. He has, in fact, "converted" three men and one woman. :o Arcade, the teenage orphan, joined them in early in Burundi, and Eddy and Arnaud were picked up later. Also, the AWOL Burundian "Blessing" AKA Brother Leonce, was the one found unworthy of becoming a church planter. No reason given, but I doubt it had to do with dropping his passport overboard!

His new "missionary" photo is false advertising. Photoshopping a picture of your entire family onto a Zambian backdrop and calling yourself a missionary to Zambia is misleading. Especially if you have only been there a couple of times, your wife once, and the kiddies haven't been there at all yet. Praise the Lord for small mercies on the last.

I'm still searching for the lead to whether he is funneling his fundraising through any kind of legitimate charity. Please let me know if anyone else finds the link!

I like the term Supreme Butthole of the Universe. It suits him.

Don't forget to add the "™"! Sharon Bailgoat has a way with words. Amen™.

Iris Gunkel

Glad you arrived home safely!

John Shrader

Thanks guys, but "home" is where the heart is, and my heart is in Africa. My true home is heaven, but here in this temporal life... it's Africa!

Asshole.

Sharon Bailgoat comments on John Shrader's Facebook. She was bought up earlier in the thread.

She has a Facebook page and a blog. shitsharonsays.blogspot.com/

Friendly warning: Do not open either page with a mouthful of tea. You will need a new keyboard. :D

"The Asshole has landed!

Yes, the Supreme Butthole of the Universe,™ Sharon Bailgoat, is back in Houston and reunited with his long suffering family. I guess Esther was staying close to John's parents."

So I guess this means that blessing #9 is now on the way...

John Shrader shared Midway Baptist Church's status.

Michael Sattler is a precious part of our Biblical Baptist heritage. He was persecuted and killed by the Protestants.

I thought Baptists were Protestants.

I thought Baptists were Protestants.

Yes. But I had to look it up because it seemed so odd. :geek:

Michael Sattler was an Anabaptist (ex-Catholic Benedictine monk) who was executed on the orders of a Lutheran (ex-Catholic) Count called Joachim of Zollern. over a dispute over infant/adult baptism when everyone was killing everyone else at the height of the Reformation.

You know, in occurs to me that the Fundies we study here don't talk about Baptism a lot -- infant or adult. Their testimony focuses on finding the Lord at earlier and earlier ages. How you can "find the Lord" at 5 years old like the Pecan Thief is beyond me.

So do they get baptized when they accept Jebus as their Lord and Savior? I suppose some of them do adult dunkings? You don't see pretty pictures of baptisms. Instead you get chastity rings, courtships and weddings.

But we do know that Biblical Baptists like Shrader are super special and the only true Christians. They can't be compared to mere Protestants, even other people calling themselves Baptists.

Looking for some financials, I came across this:

Average cost of Zambian Products compared to the USA: 193.76% higher

Cost Comparison between the USA and Zambia.

Methodology: Pictures were taken of common items our family would purchase and use on a daily basis. The pictures recorded the sales labels at Shoprite in Ndola, Zambia

Zambia USA Percentage

Shoprite Wal-Mart Diffence

Price Per Pound of Butter $5.13 $2.74 187.13%

Price Per Gallon of Milk $5.64 $2.89 195.29%

Great Value PB (40oz) $7.06 $5.24 134.76%

2# block of cheese $13.31 $5.96 223.31%

4# frozen Chicken $5.86 $3.84 152.60%

Ground beef (bulk/lb) $3.86 $2.88 134.15%

Price per Gallon (apple) $9.27 $4.48 206.87%

3# honeydew mellon $8.37 $2.99 280.02%

Oranges per pound $2.41 $0.98 245.83%

1 Gallon Cooking Oil $9.70 $6.58 147.37%

Bell pepers 3 $4.76 $2.88 165.28%

Tomatoes $0.62 $1.18 52.39%

Eggs (2 dozen) $3.90 $2.88 135.56%

Colgate toothpaste (6.4oz) $4.96 $1.25 396.65%

Tresemme Shampoo (32oz) 14.39 3.37 427.11%

Katchup (64oz) 11.99 3.98 301.27%

Mayonaise (22oz) 2.63 3.24 81.12%

Great Value Pinto (8lb) 11.62 8.24 141.04%

Corn Flakes (24 oz) 5.17 3.28 157.57%

Great Value Sugar (10lb) 5.78 5.58 103.62%

Canned Peas (15oz) 3.92 1.68 233.40%

Ge 60W light bulbs (4) 2.72 1.99 136.68%

Great Value Paper Towels (8pk) 14.88 6.84 217.54%

I don't even know were to start the snarking, this is so ridiculous! :angry-banghead:

And let's rest assured that John Shrader&Co, should they get that far, won't be living on anything like the diet the Zambians live on. He'll be expecting an American style diet the majority of the time.

It's quite possible John Schrader actually believes the trail of blood doctrine. Protestants are those false teachers who had to be converted from the heresy of Catholicism. Baptists are, were, and forever have been a true church.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptist_successionism

You could very well be right. Somehow I doubt that Shrader could describe it though. When he is right he is right! Anyone questioning him is from the devil.

Surely there is a suitable atoll for him in the pacific? Maybe one of the ones that has been used for various tests by the US military? :lol:

Sharon Bailgoat is so godly!!!

Then stay in effin Africa!

Fuck, no! Africa has enough problems. Shrader should stay in the good old US of A. Preferably in Texas where he was born and raised.

(My apologies in advance to any and all right thinking Texans here, but keep that asshole and deal with him yourselves.)

Looking for some financials, I came across this:

I don't even know were to start the snarking, this is so ridiculous! :angry-banghead:

Oh, yeah. Snark?

Esther and Cheri must be really pissed at David Rea because he omitted to price the most important staples of a Fundie diet: Frozen Tater Tots, Velveeta, and Cream of Crap Soup! :shock:

Not snark but just plain fury:

Don't these assholes realize that Shoprite = the Williams Sonoma, Harrods, and Fortnum and Mason of Zambia :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

90% of that list is luxury items. Meat, eggs and produce could be purchased much more cheaply in the local marketplace. Not frozen or canned produce but fresh! Dear God, canned peas! :pink-shock:

Note to John and David, but also to Esther and Cheri (because the burden of food provision is going to fall on the wives):

Consider a vegetable garden and keeping chickens in Zambia.

Consider giving up red meat.

Consider buying dried milk (it is disgusting but so much cheaper).

Consider using all meats as a condiment, supplemented by dried fish, groundnuts, and soaked (not canned) dry beans and peas.

Consider substituting grits for cornflakes. Maize porridge (thick and thin) is actually a staple at all Zambian meals.

Consider introducing mustard greens and plantains to your kids, soonest.

Consider making your own peanut butter.

Consider cutting your sugar consumption by 75%. It won't hurt that much if you substitute fresh fruit for sugar. Fresh fruit will be cheaper if you don't buy it at Shoprite. Mangos, oranges, papaya, pineapple and bananas are all delicious and nutritious.

Consider leaning to bake your own bread.

Oh, and forget the paper towels! Learn how to use rags to clean up and how to wash them properly for decent hygeine.

I'll give the Reas and Shraders a buy on the ketchup, mayonnaise, light bulbs, toothpaste and shampoo because we all need some tastes of home (but they could have chosen a cheaper brand of shampoo!)

The bad news is that John seems to think he will be able to take his family to Zambia sometime in the next few months. He does realize that they need visas.

As to the rest of it, oh, the drama! The "last" goodbyes. In his sister's case that may be true. :(

Dearest praying friends...I covet your prayers...today especially.

Today I say goodbye to most of my immediate family for the last time as God has moved up our timetable. Those of you that know me well know I have a very difficult time with goodbyes. We will be pulling out of Tri-County Baptist church, the church my father is marking 34 years at today (God allowed him to plant the church). I grew up here, my family is here... this is going to be a tough day. It will take us several months to get visas and make all our arrangements, but as far as Katy, Texas and my family here...

As my wife said last night tearfully, "The 'lasts' have started." Even now I am tearing up remembering all God has done here, and though I am filled with joy at the soon move to Africa, the people I love dearly...my grandmothers and grandfathers, Uncles and Aunts, Brothers Jared, Seth, and Joel, and my sweet sick Sister Sarah... it's going to be a tough day. On top of that my father asked me to preach this morning.

Please pray for God's grace for my wife and I and our children...please

Archived