IGNORED

John Shrader in Burundi

GeoBQn

Honestly, all I can do is shake my head. How much did this trip cost? And what exactly did he expect to accomplish? He's not savvy enough to pick up on scammers and opportunists; his podgy whiteboy self hasn't got any useful skills or resources to offer; he doesn't even speak the language and has to depend on interpreters; and he seemed honestly shocked that the president of Burundi didn't jump at the chance to give him the full-on bwana Christian hero treatment.

It's ok, he's not trying to offer anything useful. He will preach at these people like he is god's gift. They will either understand him BECAUSE JESUS or they will not understand because false doctrine. Or maybe satan :roll: And yes, it will be a miracle if all of them survive.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought the issue with Catholics came down to that we don't believe faith alone will save you. You are meant to do as Jesus did - charity and helping the poor.

Esther actually responded to this:

How nice and vague.

ok- I guess it's better than "he left us by the side of the road", but even if he had, she'd still spin it & make it sound OK. Is it bad that I find myself wishing that somehow he never makes it back home & they move on with their lives, going to school & living in the same place? A real home?

More updates:

Dear Friends, thank you for praying, God has done so much in my heart during this trip. I wish you all could be here with us. Walking miles every day, learning the language slowly, serving and ministering to people and watching the hearts of these people open to us as we stumble over their language, yet thrilling as they see our hearts. The incredible and awesome privilege of being a part of seeing a soul saved, watching God illuminate a lost heart (even though they had been in a false church for years), and seeing them bow their heart and knees to the Sovereign King of the Universe and call upon the Lord Jesus Christ to save them is marvelous. Words cannot describe what it has been like to see the possibilities for God's Work here, and although there is a large and ornate mosque in the city, many are open to the Gospel. We have a language barrier, but are picking up the language very quickly. The husband and wife who trusted Christ, along with their song leader, together with Arcade, the young man who has begun to accompany us everywhere we go, is precious to my heart. Those of you that know me beyond a casual friendship know that my true heart and passion is Biblical discipleship. My life's verse is II Timothy 2:2, and I believe that if this verse were truly lived out it would result in an explosive multiplying model of true salvation, discipleship, and church planting. In America it seemed that few were interested in being a 2 Tim. 2:2-4 disciple, though I sought for them during my entire ten years as pastoring. I have found it to be much different in Africa. We were in Burundi for only two days before God brought Arcade (the a in his name is pronounced as ahh) across our path, a young man who is saved, but untaught in the Word, who is literally a thirsting soul for the Truth of the Word of God. He will sit for hours, diligently taking notes as Pastor Sakawaha, a pastor from the Capitol city of Zambia, Lusaka, David Rea, and myself disciple him. He is even now copying out by hand Romans 6-8 as part of his discipleship. I myself ask for your prayers as I begin to write out the Scripture myself. Bro. Rea shared a testimony of a missionary that he knows of who hand copies the Bible for an average of four hours a day. He has copied the N.T. around 9 times and the entire Bible 4 times. This testimony smote my heart, and I believe God has laid on my heart that I need to do the same. I want the Word of God to saturate my heart and life, and this is a wonderful way to get the Word of God into my heart! I made it to verse 30 in John 1 this morning, and I am also copying out the Book of John from the Karundi Bible as well. A fb post simply cannot capture the sights, sounds, smells, and situtations that we are experiencing here on the other side of the world, but suffice it to say that God has shown and taught us much, and it is exciting! We have 11 more days here in Burundi, so please pray that God will continue to guide our steps, protect us, and that He will be glorified! Not to worry, we feel extremely safe, have seen or felt no danger at all, but we covet your prayers. Please pray for our wives and children, and please pray for Pastor Douglas Sakuwaha's wife Petronella. She is nearing the ending of her pregnancy with their fourth child, and Pastor Douglas would like to be there when the baby comes! When he leaves here he will take a three day journey back to Zambia on a Concrete transport ship, then have a long bus ride home to Lusaka. I know his precious family would appreciate your prayers as well. On a final note, it looks like God is accelerating our time frame for leaving for the field, so please pray for this as well. We only want to follow as our Lord leads. I will share more on this later, as the Lord directs. I love you all, and for those of you who truly labor for us in fervant prayer, I thank God for you.

Note to Reader: The last part of this post is powerful and impacting...please don't miss:

It is so completely different being here in a culture where almost everyone walks, we had an experience yesterday which made us laugh. Nine days ago we began "footing" almost everywhere we go (even walking from between 5-8 miles one day) for multiple reasons. Yesterday after we walked into town we observed a European woman going from car to car, sticking her head in the window and asking for a lift (in French I believe). She ignored us as she continued her quest, which gave us quite a bit of amusement. Then we continued walking! The sight of two "Muzungus" (The name for Americans or Europeans) "footing" is not a normal sight to the average Burudian. Add to this shocking sight the incomprehensible occurance of those Muzungus carrying a live chicken they had purchased and we carrying home for dinner (something we did one day and are still having people comment on it to us)! You can only imagine the looks we got! I can almost hear the conversations around the dinner tables that night..."Leti, you're never going to believe what I saw on the way home today!"

Yesterday we found a barber that was willing to try cutting Muzungu hair, and negotiated the Muzungu price of 5,000 Burundian Francs down to a more reasonable 2,000 FBR! (about $1.30) The normal price was 1,500. I didn't mind paying extra because my haircut is not "normal" here! We were able to give our barbers tracts, as well as many people around the area. Their "shop" was a narrow affair of which I will post pictures later when I am able!

Walking to town this morning we also passed out tracts, and I still marvel how people will stop and wait until you give THEM one! God has clearly set us in Zambia as a base, but there is so much to do for the Lord in Africa. In Zimbabwe, adjacent to Zambia, we will have this same openess but without the language barrier as they speak English! We hope to get with Arnaud and Eddy tonight for more discipleship, but please pray for them as Satan is fighting. Arnaud was involved in a car accident, and had his phone stolen yesterday. (All this since He trusted Christ...seems like Satan might be a little stirred up!) I don't want to give Satan any undue credit, but Spiritual warefare in a reality here that is very tangible. We had a tremendous time of discipleship last night with Arcade, who has started copying out the book of Romans

from the Burundi Bible we gave him yesterday. I cannot describe the look of awe and gratitute on his face as he reverently took the Bible from me, but I wish every American could have seen it...I fear we take far too lightly the priviledge we have of easy and afforable access to the Word of God in our country. We had a wonderful study on the Baptist Doctrine of the Autonomy of the Church, which I had a priviledge of partially teaching. To see Arcade diligently take page after page after page of notes brought a joy to my heart that is indescribable! When questioned after the study, Arcade did not say how WE had opened his eyes to the Truth that had been taught, but how the SCRIPTURE had opened his eyes. This is AWESOME!!! Then something happened that tore our hearts. As we discussed the many false teachers and false churches in Burundi, Arcade asked, "What about those in my family and those in these false "churches"? What about those who have already died believing error?" With a broken heart we asked him to turn to and read Revelation 20:15. It was a sobering moment. It was heartwrenching to watch the awareness that came over him at that moment. I wonder, have you ever had such a moment in your heart? Then we shared with him that this was why God has placed a desire to preach within his heart, that his Nation might hear the true Gospel and learn of true Salvation. The evening ended with a special note. If you have been following our posts, you will remember that Arcade was orphaned when his parents were killed in the war here in Burundi. He has little or no family to speak of. We asked him to turn to Psalm 68:6. After he read this, we told him that we three men (Pastor Douglas Sakuwaha, Bro. David Rea, and myself) considered him a part of our families. This was a precious moment as we all hugged him and knew that he felt our love.

I must go now, but before I sign off and began to walk some more, I want you to ask yourself a few questions. "Do I bear the weight of Arcade's question on my heart?" "Do I even care?" "Is my life so comfortable that I have ceased living passionately for the reality of eternity and instead I am caught up in my own life, selfishly living for my desires and not God's?

These are serious questions, but they are timely...

Please consider them.

Bro. Rea shared a testimony of a missionary that he knows of who hand copies the Bible for an average of four hours a day. He has copied the N.T. around 9 times and the entire Bible 4 times. This testimony smote my heart, and I believe God has laid on my heart that I need to do the same.

...why? I seriously do not understand how this could be in any way useful to anyone, but especially a grown man who has already spent 40 years in the christian faith. If you really think the bible verses are that important, how about reading them and thinking about how they apply to you instead of just copying verses by rote? :doh:

Yesterday we found a barber that was willing to try cutting Muzungu hair, and negotiated the Muzungu price of 5,000 Burundian Francs down to a more reasonable 2,000 FBR! (about $1.30) The normal price was 1,500. I didn't mind paying extra because my haircut is not "normal" here!

Um, you didn't pay extra. You paid less than half what he wanted to charge. I mean, I know bartering is a thing, but people routinely give you thousands of dollars for doing fuck-all. You're receiving a service from a person in an impoverished country and you can't give them three damn dollars for cutting your greasy hair? And hey, why not follow it up with a tract that they may not be able to read :roll:

We hope to get with Arnaud and Eddy tonight for more discipleship, but please pray for them as Satan is fighting. Arnaud was involved in a car accident, and had his phone stolen yesterday. (All this since He trusted Christ...seems like Satan might be a little stirred up!) I don't want to give Satan any undue credit, but Spiritual warefare in a reality here that is very tangible.

Or maybe their "false doctrine" was actually the right one, and now their "false" god is pissed you converted them.

As we discussed the many false teachers and false churches in Burundi, Arcade asked, "What about those in my family and those in these false "churches"? What about those who have already died believing error?" With a broken heart we asked him to turn to and read Revelation 20:15.

The relevant verse:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

What. An. Ass :angry-banghead:

I'm glad other people can pick apart what is wrong with this. His posts are approaching "word salad" territory for me.

Well, I really wanted to just quote Sharon Bailgoat: TLDR. Amen.

But Shrader makes me raeg sometimes.

I suspect that the word salad can also be translated thusly:

This trip has been a giant screw-up from beginning to end. I promised a lot of stuff (crusades, meetings with Presidents and outreach) that is just not happening. I am way out of my depth.

My donors in the US are getting restive. They have supported me and my family for over a year and have sponsored this trip. They may also have been reading FJ, The Poisonwood Bible, or listening to people with an iota common sense and are beginning to realize that my ambitions "at Zambia" are idiotic. Perhaps my silly concept of church planting in Christian countries is beginning to be questioned. Or, if not that, they are beginning to question that I know what I'm doing. They are quite right. I don't.

I need to make it clear that I am not wasting their donations so I am going to make a big deal out of "footing" it and buying live chickens. Oh, and I am trying to learn the language because even an idiot like me is beginning to realize that proselytizing through translators is pretty pathetic.

I'm struggling here so I'm going to have to pull out all the stops. Satan is working against me !!!!!!!!eleventy!!!!!!!!

So I'm writing out the Bible and encouraging others to do so because that will stop the devil in his tracks.

Send more money please! Prayers, violins and accordions are also welcome but money is best.

Yours in Christ,

John the Grifter

Yesterday we found a barber that was willing to try cutting Muzungu hair, and negotiated the Muzungu price of 5,000 Burundian Francs down to a more reasonable 2,000 FBR! (about $1.30) The normal price was 1,500. I didn't mind paying extra because my haircut is not "normal" here! We were able to give our barbers tracts, as well as many people around the area. Their "shop" was a narrow affair of which I will post pictures later when I am able!

Come on John you cheap asshole, it originally cost about $3. That is a brilliant deal as it was, you couldnt get a haircut for that cheap back home! You were not paying extra if you negotiated it down to less than half.

This guy has to be the most selfish douche I have ever come across.

Come on John you cheap asshole, it originally cost about $3. That is a brilliant deal as it was, you couldnt get a haircut for that cheap back home! You were not paying extra if you negotiated it down to less than half.

This guy has to be the most selfish douche I have ever come across.

He definitely is.

But I am seriously confused by his words. It was 5,000 BF.... he paid 2,000... but "normal" price was 1,500? :mouse-shock:

I think 1500 is the price locals pay. He paid 2000 which he justfies by saying it's better than what the barber usually gets.

It's like we're seeing The Poisonwood Bible play out right in front of us in real life.

:spider:

I think 1500 is the price locals pay. He paid 2000 which he justfies by saying it's better than what the barber usually gets.

He paid extra because the ignorant black African barber had to cut white hair. :angry-banghead:

I note that he tipped the barber with "many people around the area" as well as tracts. I'm sure the barber was overjoyed. :twisted: SOTDRT fail.

So he needed a haircut (why, he has only been out of the US about 2 weeks?) and paid over the going rate, bargained down from the original asking price.

I actually don't have a big problem with that. I'd rather point at other examples of John Shrader's foolishness. To pay the asking price of 3,000BF for a haircut would have been out of the cultural norm. Bargaining makes sense in context and I'm assuming one of his translators negotiated the terms for him.

I note that he tipped the barber with "many people around the area" as well as tracts. I'm sure the barber was overjoyed. :twisted: SOTDRT fail.

So he needed a haircut (why, he has only been out of the US about 2 weeks?) and paid over the going rate, bargained down from the original asking price.

I actually don't have a big problem with that. I'd rather point at other examples of John Shrader's foolishness. To pay the asking price of 3,000BF for a haircut would have been out of the cultural norm. Bargaining makes sense in context and I'm assuming one of his translators negotiated the terms for him.

But would have made him a better human being. Hey, consider it a tip. Just from the things Shrader has shared in the last few months, people have gifted him with an easy $15-20K in money and assets. He probably makes more in one Sunday in front of his sheeple than that barber makes in a year.

He's come into the country uninvited and is violating their cultural norms left and right, especially when he tells them their religion is wrong. He just got done telling a man that he considers part of his family (which is no great thing considering how his family lives) that the man's friends are burning in hellfire. I give him zero points for cultural sensitivity.

But would have made him a better human being. Hey, consider it a tip. Just from the things Shrader has shared in the last few months, people have gifted him with an easy $15-20K in money and assets. He probably makes more in one Sunday in front of his sheeple than that barber makes in a year.

He's come into the country uninvited and is violating their cultural norms left and right, especially when he tells them their religion is wrong. He just got done telling a man that he considers part of his family (which is no great thing considering how his family lives) that the man's friends are burning in hellfire. I give him zero points for cultural sensitivity.

Oh, John Shrader has zero cultural sensitivity. He has the cultural sensitivity of a slug. That may be an insult to slugs. He is a twerp and the epitome of "ugly proselytizing Westerner."

Bear with me while I wordily try to explain this as a person who grew up in E. Africa. Think of me as one of the children in Poisonwood Bible who picked up languages quickly and had to translate and interpret for my parents on occasion. Although my medical missionary parents were not nearly as idiotic as John Shrader! In a million years!

Here is my theory. John Shrader has made contact with an Evangelical Church or group of churches in Zambia. They see him as a rich American, a pastor of his own church, and a person who will be a useful fundraiser with his contacts in the USA. That is probably how he originally presented himself to them. They may or may not agree with his particular Fundie beliefs.

The local evangelicals see him as someone worth cultivating. Even if he has told them that his life's ambition is to move to Zambia and plant churches -- they may be trying to discourage him on that. If he has told them that he has sold his house and put his family at risk to fund-raise for the cause. Why, poverty is relative! This chubby guy is obviously well fed, and America's streets are paved with gold. What sensible person puts his family at risk for a pipe dream anyway? They probably don't believe he is that foolish.

Any sensible East African sees John Shrader as an opportunity. They would rather decide how to spend the money he raises themselves, but this is a guy worth knowing. At least, at first sight.

On the other hand he flies over on his short-tem mission trips on occasion with grandiose ideas of expansion. This guy has money and access to lots more money. So the local evangelicals want to keep him both happy and safe. They also want potential funds coming in their direction not frittered away on the odd barber in Burundi or scam.

So they provide him with two "handlers" and interpreters for his excursion into Burundi. For those handlers he is a freaking nightmare. The interpreters are frantically misinterpreting his worst blunders to soften his impact on the local population and simultaneously trying to talk sense into him. For example, some other "pastors" are not what they seem.

In the barber incident: well, it is a cultural norm negotiate a price. No-one usually pays the first price offered, that spoils the fun of negotiating. It is also the norm to quote an "ugly Westerner" a vastly inflated price, just to see whether he/she is naïve enough to pay it.

Paying the first quoted price would be to label yourself as a totally naïve and stupid foreigner. And culturally insensitive. It is the norm to negotiate. Also, paying the first price would have made life even more difficult for Shrader's local handlers. They would have to beat other tradesmen off as they tried to squeeze every last Franc out of this nasty stupid Westerner. And, the handlers would prefer his excess cash were spent with them. This guy is so freaking naïve that he was close to funding weapons in DR Congo with the fake "pastors," after all!

We know John Shrader hasn't bothered to learn either French or Swahili let alone other languages. He has now admitted that he has been too lazy to do that. So his handlers stepped in and negotiated the transaction for him. Out of self-defense and out of wanting his money to spend as they, the local evangelicals, want to spend it.

Of course John Shrader is now using this transaction, which he did not understand as it was happening, to make believe that he is savvy and frugal to his donors back home.

Does that make more sense? You have to read between the lines of his last Facebook entries to see how the local handlers are trying to talk sense into him. I'm positive they'd prefer him to stay back in the USA and fundraise. He would do so much less damage there!

Of all the crap he's written, I'm not sure why this one bugs me so much, but it does:

I wish you all could be here with us. Walking miles every day, learning the language slowly, serving and ministering to people and watching the hearts of these people open to us as we stumble over their language, yet thrilling as they see our hearts.

followed in the same update by

We have a language barrier, but are picking up the language very quickly.

So, which is it, John? Is Satan foiling your efforts to learn the language, or has God looked upon your tongues with favor?

It's like we're seeing The Poisonwood Bible play out right in front of us in real life.

:spider:

Only if the flesh eating driver ants show up. :lol:

I'm starting to think this whole thing is just a fundie-approved way to abandon the wife and kids that he never wanted to begin with. If a non-fundie decided to leave his family living in a camper so he could go backpacking around Africa, people would be all over him for being a selfish deadbeat, and rightfully so. But throw the word mission into the mix and suddenly it's totes cool? Aw hell naw!

He paid extra because the ignorant black African barber had to cut white hair. :angry-banghead:

I had a haircut in an Asian country and was quite the freak show. The hairdresser was flummoxed by my hair (I'm white). I'm not reading through the religious bullshit of an asshole missionary, but on three points he is correct, his hair is different, tourists get quoted higher prices, and you shouldn't throw scads of cash around and throw the local economy into chaos. I was convinced of this by some article somewhere at some point, but I can't remember where.

I suspect John is having an early midlife crisis from being 'all things fundie'.I'm not making excuses for him though.He consciously made the decision to get married and have all of those kids.

That said,of course his number one priority should be to work hard and take care of them all.

I do hope he will reevaluate the fact that it isn't working (on more than one level,it appears) and make some changes,starting with dumping the mission field,getting a job (or 2 or 3) and putting a real roof over his family's head.Make them your No. 1 priority John! It is not anyone else's responsibility to feed,clothe and house your family except YOURS.

I think that something is very wrong in fundieland when a man can be excused from supporting his many blessings.

I don't care if he is doing missionary work, his children need to be his number one priorities.

Yes,I'm jw what Pa Keller thinks of this whole charade.Does he find it acceptable b/c it's missionary work,or does he think otherwise? Or if John spoke to him about it b/f undertaking it,like Josh did w his new job and move.(not quite the same,I know).

I think a lot of ppl assume missionary work is self-sacrificing,noble,etc.But the ones doing the sacrificing are John's wife and kids.I think he enjoys traveling the country,going on the overseas trips,and having everyone else support them.

But hey,at least he got a free accordion,right? :O

All I can say is,if this were my daughter and her family,we would be having a serious talk!

ETA: I think missionary work is fine,for those who are able to do it without sacrificing their families or marriage.Like for single ppl,or couples without children.

What kind of organization would allow a man with a wife and 8 kids to do such an undertaking? No wonder they are on the move a lot,it must be draining the resources of those who are helping to support his large brood.

John's latest post says they are already planning a return trip to Burundi (after they get to Zambia, of course.) I think at this point, he's operating on the "sunk cost" fallacy. He's sacrificed so much for his dream of being a missionary that he feels that walking away will be considered a failure, even though at this point, he is failing by staying.

Hes already planning a return trip?

The J in J.O.Y. stands for Jesus, not John. For him, its John first, Other people second, Your family last.

John, you suck. Anna married Josh and still did better than Esther did.

Archived