IGNORED

John Shrader in Burundi

GeoBQn

Those poor babies, life is going to be so hard for them. Fuck you John, youre screwing up your family's life.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those poor babies, life is going to be so hard for them. Fuck you John, youre screwing up your family's life.

This may sound a strange thing to say, but in some ways the children may have a better quality of life settled in a semi-permanent home in Zambia than traveling around in the van and pop-up camper in the US. It looks as though they plan to settle in or near one of the larger cities, Ndola. The climate is pleasant during much of the year and the kids will not be freezing in winter. Adapting to the food and conditions may be hard at first, but kids are remarkably adaptable and resilient. It is not as though they will have to change schools or leave close friends behind, they have been traveling too much to have many of those. Their homeschooling can be continued just as inefficiently in Zambia. :whistle:

I mainly worry about them getting sick. Very sick. Dying. I doubt they have even basic vaccinations and there will be no herd immunity for the "regular" childhood diseases in Zambia. People still die of measles and polio is endemic. Add on to that the risks of malaria, typhoid, yellow fever, hepatitis A, etc. Now add on various parasites they could pick up including, but not limited to, schistosomiasis and filariasis.

Yeah, their life sucks in America too. Hopefully in Zambia they are getting a proper home. And please let them be vaccinated.

This may sound a strange thing to say, but in some ways the children may have a better quality of life settled in a semi-permanent home in Zambia than traveling around in the van and pop-up camper in the US. It looks as though they plan to settle in or near one of the larger cities, Ndola. The climate is pleasant during much of the year and the kids will not be freezing in winter. Adapting to the food and conditions may be hard at first, but kids are remarkably adaptable and resilient. It is not as though they will have to change schools or leave close friends behind, they have been traveling too much to have many of those. Their homeschooling can be continued just as inefficiently in Zambia. :whistle:

I mainly worry about them getting sick. Very sick. Dying. I doubt they have even basic vaccinations and there will be no herd immunity for the "regular" childhood diseases in Zambia. People still die of measles and polio is endemic. Add on to that the risks of malaria, typhoid, yellow fever, hepatitis A, etc. Now add on various parasites they could pick up including, but not limited to, schistosomiasis and filariasis.[/quote]

Aren't the rules for immunization more stringent for international travel than they are for even public school attendance here? I don't know, but would think they would be.

John writes like a Christian martyr from the 18th century. The passage about the "lasts" reads like he is emulating those who have had endless sorrow and loss. He may even be prepared to lose some of this children like they did in times of old. I can almost visualize the words, "We buried XXX today. Poor sweet innocent child. I find comfort that she is the arms of Jesus now."

So they will be in the US for months but won't make the trip to visit his dying sister again? For someone who acts like it's all about family, he sure seems to have his priorities mixed up. Postpone your trip to Zambia, John, and visit with your sister in what are probably her last months.

It really just makes me so sad. I feel so bad for Sarah.

Aren't the rules for immunization more stringent for international travel than they are for even public school attendance here? I don't know, but would think they would be.

No. All the immunizations for international travel for people leaving the US are merely strongly recommended and quite voluntary. There are no immunizations required for entering the USA. I think you still need VD and TB testing if applying for more than a tourist visa, but that would not affect an American Citizen returning to the USA.

I just looked up Zambia. All that is required for entry into Zambia is a yellow fever vaccination, and then only if you enter from certain countries known to be having current outbreaks. The USA is not one of those countries at the moment. If John and David are out of Zambia "planting churches" in Burundi, Rwanda, DR Congo, Zimbabwe and there was an outbreak of yellow fever or cholera or something like that, they might not be able to get back into Zambia until they had been immunized. That is not really not very clear though.

It is quite amazing isn't it?

No. All the immunizations for international travel for people leaving the US are merely strongly recommended and quite voluntary. There are no immunizations required for entering the USA. I think you still need VD and TB testing if applying for more than a tourist visa, but that would not affect an American Citizen returning to the USA.

I just looked up Zambia. All that is required for entry into Zambia is a yellow fever vaccination, and then only if you enter from certain countries known to be having current outbreaks. The USA is not one of those countries at the moment. If John and David are out of Zambia "planting churches" in Burundi, Rwanda, DR Congo, Zimbabwe and there was an outbreak of yellow fever or cholera or something like that, they might not be able to get back into Zambia until they had been immunized. That is not really not very clear though.

It is quite amazing isn't it?

It is. Thanks for the info!

I mainly worry about them getting sick. Very sick. Dying. I doubt they have even basic vaccinations and there will be no herd immunity for the "regular" childhood diseases in Zambia. People still die of measles and polio is endemic. Add on to that the risks of malaria, typhoid, yellow fever, hepatitis A, etc. Now add on various parasites they could pick up including, but not limited to, schistosomiasis and filariasis.

A friend of mine got Plasmodium falciparum malaria on a trip to Kenya despite taking antimalarials. She almost died and had to be evacuated to France on an incredibly expensive medical flight. Without insurance or the financial resources to arrange such a thing, I think John Shrader would be fucked if Esther or the kids were similarly ill. What would he do? Post a prayer request on FB and watch his child die?

A friend of mine got Plasmodium falciparum malaria on a trip to Kenya despite taking antimalarials. She almost died and had to be evacuated to France on an incredibly expensive medical flight. Without insurance or the financial resources to arrange such a thing, I think John Shrader would be fucked if Esther or the kids were similarly ill. What would he do? Post a prayer request on FB and watch his child die?

Yep, and revel in all the attention it brings him for being such a godly man, risking his and his family's lives to bring the Good News to a country that already has a Christian majority. He wants to feel like a martyr. He's not just an asshole, he's an ignorant one that has no interest in learning. They're the worst kind.

Have you heard the story of David Waller's brother? I'm afraid that's exactly what they'd do :(

Ugh. I'd forgotten all about David Waller's brother. That was a horrible story; the poor kid must have really suffered. I don't understand how these fundy types can go on and on about the sanctity of every unborn child, but once they're born, it's like, fuck it, post some prayer requests on FB and take homeopathic supplements.

I didn't quite follow John's last post. Why does the family need to leave Katy, Texas if they aren't going to Zambia for a few months? Can't they prepare for the trip while staying there? (and provide relative comfort and safety for the children) Or does he mean that they will be traveling around begging at churches until they scrape up enough cash for airfare?

If someone went around asking strangers for money to take his wife and eight kids to live in a foreign country - and had no home or job lined up in the new country - no one would support his delusion. But since John's plan is all wrapped up in Christianese about saving (already Christian) people, somehow people are buying into it. It boggles my mind. I am very sad for those poor, uneducated children - And I don't mean the Burundian ones.

I know somebody who got malaria when working in Sengal, he was taking anti-malarials. I wonder how John is going to afford the anti-malarials for the whole family?

I think if somebody got sick the only option he could afford would be an awful long drive or a flight to Pretoria. I think he might be uncomfortable with a black doctor so Nairobi & Joburg would be out of the question.

Katy has great public schools. Sad that those kids are being "educated" by their overworked and under-supported mother in a cramped environment that can't possibly be conducive to learning... where a good education is literally available for free right outside their door.

(Obviously, that's not the only sad thing about the situation these poor kids are in, but I have some ties to that town/school district so it struck a chord with me. Carry on)

Have you heard the story of David Waller's brother? I'm afraid that's exactly what they'd do :(

David Waller's brother died of leukemia, and probably would have died in the U.S. too. I believe he had one of the aggressive forms. A friend's BFF went home from school one day not feeling well. Within a week she was dead of leukemia, and she was in the hospital at UW Madison.

David Waller's brother died of leukemia, and probably would have died in the U.S. too. I believe he had one of the aggressive forms. A friend's BFF went home from school one day not feeling well. Within a week she was dead of leukemia, and she was in the hospital at UW Madison.

The part that bothered me about the story of Isaac Waller was how they let him suffer for weeks and just seemed to write it off as God's will. If I recall correctly, toward the end, he was unable to even get out of bed or hold a book to read. Yes, if his leukemia was extremely aggressive, he probably would have died even in a developed country, but at least he could have been given pain medications, blood transfusions, and intravenous hydration to keep him comfortable. I just can't imagine everyone in the family being fine with just leaving this poor kid in his bed, critically ill, while they went about their missionary shit. Who does that?

The part that bothered me about the story of Isaac Waller was how they let him suffer for weeks and just seemed to write it off as God's will. If I recall correctly, toward the end, he was unable to even get out of bed or hold a book to read. Yes, if his leukemia was extremely aggressive, he probably would have died even in a developed country, but at least he could have been given pain medications, blood transfusions, and intravenous hydration to keep him comfortable. I just can't imagine everyone in the family being fine with just leaving this poor kid in his bed, critically ill, while they went about their missionary shit. Who does that?

Yes, you are right. He started with an infection in his leg that wouldn't heal. I looked up the account of it today. And yes, he would have died anyway but he could have been kept comfortable. The Wallers have a lot in common with Mother Teresa.

Watching someone die is devastating. I cant imagine doing it without medical care.

I thought John was only half way through his fundraising. So how can he afford to go now instead of next May. Where did the money come from and why is he in such a hurry now - sounds suspicious to me!

Looking for some financials, I came across this:

I don't even know were to start the snarking, this is so ridiculous! :angry-banghead:

I'll start: Who knew ol' John was so good at math! I'm pretty sure he's showing off his ability to figure percentages. Most people would just say something like "We've noticed that the food we normally eat at home costs 1.3 to >2 x what we would pay at Walmart. Another reason to go native with our eating habits."

OB Sharon Bailgoat threadjack. Sharon has also visited the Duggars and has the picture to prove it: shitsharonsays.blogspot.com/2013/04/sharon-visits-duggars.html

Yes, you are right. He started with an infection in his leg that wouldn't heal. I looked up the account of it today. And yes, he would have died anyway but he could have been kept comfortable. The Wallers have a lot in common with Mother Teresa.

More in common with Mother Teresa's patients. When she was sick/dying, she didn't use her own facilities, but got the best money could buy....which was a lot.

I'm not a doctor but maybe a bone marrow transplant could have saved the Waller boy. He had a lot of siblings so maybe a match could have been found. My mother had leukemia and she encountered people with this aggressive form and a bone marrow transplant was attempted.

I'll start: Who knew ol' John was so good at math! I'm pretty sure he's showing off his ability to figure percentages. Most people would just say something like "We've noticed that the food we normally eat at home costs 1.3 to >2 x what we would pay at Walmart. Another reason to go native with our eating habits."

OB Sharon Bailgoat threadjack. Sharon has also visited the Duggars and has the picture to prove it: shitsharonsays.blogspot.com/2013/04/sharon-visits-duggars.html

I had a rant about this a couple of pages back. :)

To the bolded, we still don't know that ol' John can do more than count on his fingers and toes. This is from David Rea's page. :wink-penguin: For more information about John's partner in idiocy go to Team Zambia.com and click on "the Rea Family."

He has this gem under Culture Shock:

A few days ago a got a call. A missionary’s wife had died from malaria a few hours away from where we will be going. Before our first trip veteran missionary Rex Switzer also died from malaria. These are wake up calls for anyone planning a bush ministry in Africa. Bobby Bonner spent about two decades in Zambia, and had malaria so many times he has only a portion of his heart left.

[i snipped a rant about how public schools don't teach kids to read]

Hearing of missionaries die in the same place you are going does something to you. It effects you deep inside in a way words cannot describe. Your Bible starts looking a bit different. When you read in Luke chapter 14 the three requirement to be a disciple, 1) Stand up to family, hate your own life, and LOVE Christ more Luke 14:26, 2) Bear your cross (instrument of death) and follow HIM! Luke 14:27 3) Without forsaking ALL you CANNOT be HIS disciple Luke 14:33, you begin to wonder why these are absent so often. If these are the ENTRY requirements to being a disciple (according to Jesus) why are so many people in discipleship who LACK these these? Are we guilty of lowing the bar in church for the sake of not offending?

Biblical Christianity is about DEATH of self, and Christ living in us. Gal. 2:20. The new man is CHRIST IN US. Does not your soul long for REAL Christianity? Or are we content with a lowered bar, and watered down shadow of the real thing?

Is our understanding of discipleship similar to that example in the public schools? Was the only discipleship “class†that had Jesus’ requirements the one HE taught?

So do YOU want to be a disciple of Jesus Christ? Count the COST…

Yes, they do know that malaria is a risk and that people can die from it. He has also been asked about the children. The USA is far more dangerous to the children's souls than Africa, don't you know? He also knows how little most Africans are paid, and still drinks their soft drinks and accepts taxi rides from them. :roll:

What about your CHILDREN?

Created on 12 June 2012 Last Updated on 15 June 2012 David Rea 3 Comments

Probably the most asked question we get is, “What about your children?â€. A variation is, “How can you take your children to live… over there.†They all deal with the issue of safety. Often the question is asked with a tone and facial features that scream, “Your-poor-little-helpless-children.â€

Where is the most dangerous place to live? It is a cultural question. Canadians believe that the USA is terrifyingly dangerous because of all of our guns. But rural areas with the most guns are FAR safer than urban areas with NO GUNS. The city people are afraid to live in the country away from all of the amenities of city life, and the country folk don’t even want to DRIVE in the city, let alone live there!

[NYC example snipped for brevity.]

WHAT ABOUT AFRICA?

Is it dangerous? Compared to what, and based on what? Jesus said that one group of people have a VERY difficult time getting to the kingdom of heaven. Who were they? Let me help, they were not poor missionary kids in Africa, they were rich people.

Listen to Jesus: Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

America is a very dangerous place to live. Riches make it hard for man to get saved. Don’t believe me? Go knock on doors in the affluent parts of your town. Very productive right, of course not, for the most part they really do not believe they need God.

What makes one rich? Two people working just under 40 hours a week at minimum wage make more than 95% of all families on Earth. To see how radically riches affect people, look at the responses to the Gospel in different economic groups in the US. People that make $2,000-$3000 per month are FAR more receptive to the Gospel than people who make $8,000 per month.

Want to see revival? Preach to people in Sub-Saharan Africa who make $500 per YEAR…

What about your CHILDREN? Well America is one of the MOST dangerous places to raise your child on the planet. Why, remember what Jesus said. Raising children in a rich land is dangerous. Are we thinking about the spiritual future of our children? Are we thinking about the reality of Hell? Do we understand that we live in one of the richest cultures in the history of the world. And that the love of these riches places us in a radically dangerous position with God.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. How much do you love the world, and the things in the world? â€Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.†Now God said that. I did not say that, although I agree 100% with it.

James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

What about your children……

The comments are interesting on this one. If anyone can't find the entry just shout and I'll bring them over -- but this post is getting way too long!

Archived