IGNORED

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Chicken bones

That is just disgusting. If I looked outside and saw someone shitting in my yard the least I would do is call the police.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, ain't buying the high prices. Those are cheaply made dresses (both Thelma Madine's Sondra Celli's). Until I see an actual receipt, I'm calling them cheap life-size Barbie doll dresses. And I'm pretty sure almost everything needed could be found in fabric and craft stores.

That was one vomit-inducing episode. Every time Pat Baby came on screen, I actually got the chills. Creepy, creepy, creeper.

That is just disgusting. If I looked outside and saw someone shitting in my yard the least I would do is call the police.

:text-+1:

That was one vomit-inducing episode. Every time Pat Baby came on screen, I actually got the chills. Creepy, creepy, creeper.

Besides the near-sexual behavior with his 14 year old daughter, he was rambling on about cross-dressing and how good looking the boys were. I know the guy was shitfaced pretty much the entire time they filmed him (either his wife or father drove him around...wonder if his license was revoked?), but Pat Baby is the skeeviest of the skeevy in either series.

How do you show sympathy for a minority culture and still criticise aspects of it that are very harmful? I understand that not all Roma keep their daughters sexually innocent until their wedding day or prevent them from getting an education or working. However, the portion that do should be called out in the same way that we do fundamentalists. Yet, I'd like to not be disrespectful of a culture that does suffer from prejudical attitudes.

You speak out against discrimination and hatred - which is never justified IMO - and you also grant the same protection to members of the minority culture that you would provide to anyone else.

I remember getting involved in a case involving hate crimes against Roma, and also dealing with child protection matters re child marriage and domestic violence. I don't see a contradiction. A 13 yr old has the right to go to school and not be pressured into underage marriage. Ignoring issues doesn't mean that they cancelled each other out - it just means more discrimination, and more mistreatment of women and children.

Besides the near-sexual behavior with his 14 year old daughter, he was rambling on about cross-dressing and how good looking the boys were. I know the guy was shitfaced pretty much the entire time they filmed him (either his wife or father drove him around...wonder if his license was revoked?), but Pat Baby is the skeeviest of the skeevy in either series.

Glad I'm not the only one who was creeped out. We've talked about how fundie's obsessions with their daughter's sexuality is creepy and how Boob is creepy, but this guy takes the cake.

Yes, skeevy. Exactly. The way he looked at his daughter, I was thinking "do you want some fava beans and a nice chianti with that?" He looked at her like she was a piece of human meat.

What the hell happened to TLC? This show, The Duggars, Sister Wives, Mama's Boys, and so on. They really should just get it over with and rename themselves PPAC. Perverted Patriarchal Assholes Channel.

In the British version, I think Josie married her first cousin. Isn't that illegal?

No. First cousins is fine (legally, anyway).

Mainstream society tend to think it's a bit dubious and rural-ignorant, leading to comments such as "normal for Norfolk" and webbed feet. I once spent some time working in a factory during which the conversation touched upon one of the workers who'd apparently got his cousin pregnant, and several people there thought it was both illegal and shocking. However, anything less close than a parent's sibling is allowed.

First cousins are illegal in some states and not in others. In my state it is illegal. In others, not. I worked with a woman who went to Kentucky to get her marraige license. She came back howling with laughter. In my state it's "are you related to the person who want to marry...

" In Kentucky, there was an extra question: If so how?

You speak out against discrimination and hatred - which is never justified IMO - and you also grant the same protection to members of the minority culture that you would provide to anyone else.

I remember getting involved in a case involving hate crimes against Roma, and also dealing with child protection matters re child marriage and domestic violence. I don't see a contradiction. A 13 yr old has the right to go to school and not be pressured into underage marriage. Ignoring issues doesn't mean that they cancelled each other out - it just means more discrimination, and more mistreatment of women and children.

You must extend the same protection to members of minorities that you do to any other member of the population. So you must protect children's right to education, to protection from statutory rape and forced marriage, women's right to be free of domestic violence, a communities right to have access to birth control.

I'm not saying that we should force minorities into mainstream middle class lifestyles, but all children deserve to be protected from harm and to be given the tools they need to participate in mainstream society if they so choose as adults.

That did it. All those references to "gorgers" and how they practice of them makes me sick, and what they have to say about women puts them on the same level as fundies as far as I'm concerned. This culture has no redeeming values and does not need to be preserved. They have teen brides, uneducated kids, ass-backwards views on male/female relationships and marriage are sexists, rude, and crude, destructive. Oh, and the little girls dressed like little hookers (I'm talking about 8 yrs and under) with tons of makeup and dancing like strippers, that defies logic.

And I can't slag them off for arrests or criminal records. I've been arrested, in fact I know more people who have than who haven't. I have a comrade right now doing a three year sentence, my brother has a conviction, my sister in law (now deid) had one of assault to injury for glassing another girl. My charge was conspiracy to breach the peace. We were also involved in a murder trial. Life just gets complex.

Jeez. My brother got a DWI and it completely rattled our whole family. I know very few people with criminal record. Maybe because I know so many lawyers?

can I ask what "glassing" is?

I understand the holdover of seeing indoor toilets as unsanitary - but it's a holdover from 100 yrs ago when indoor toilets or chemical/water closets weren't all that sanitary. No excuse for it nowadays and shitting on someone's lawn - definitely unsanitary not to mention rude as hell

can I ask what "glassing" is?

I understand the holdover of seeing indoor toilets as unsanitary - but it's a holdover from 100 yrs ago when indoor toilets or chemical/water closets weren't all that sanitary. No excuse for it nowadays and shitting on someone's lawn - definitely unsanitary not to mention rude as hell

The rules of Mochadi are interesting. It was those rules that prevented them from catching the Plagues and all that. But now without proper plumbing facilities it seems like its probably not in their favour health-wise. It looks like it differs from Traveller to Traveller. Paddy D had a very nice bathroom in his place.

I think her Dad beat up a guy, and Josie beat up a girl who was related to the dude Dad beat up. Does that make sense lol. The announcers said something and she griped about the girl going to the cops.......

What I meant earlier was, what episode was this? I missed this one and want to hunt for it.

LOL, I didn't know people were unaware of glassing. It is when you break a glass and hit someone with the pointy bit.

My SIL broke a bottle against a table and hit another girl with it. It was only assault to injury, not to severe injury, so I don't think she really went after her.

LOL, I didn't know people were unaware of glassing. It is when you break a glass and hit someone with the pointy bit.

My SIL broke a bottle against a table and hit another girl with it. It was only assault to injury, not to severe injury, so I don't think she really went after her.

Hee, we just used to call that "a night at the club." :lol:

Someone at TWOP recalled a bit that I mentally blocked out: Pat Baby was proud to show off his Betty Boop tat on his stomach...between his belly button and his visible pubes. His wife is such a lucky woman. :puke-front:

What I meant earlier was, what episode was this? I missed this one and want to hunt for it.

Ok. They didn't show it, it happened between when they were featured last season and this time around.

I knew what glassing was, just not by that name. We just call it 'assault with a broken bottle' lol

Guest Anonymous
This culture has no redeeming values and does not need to be preserved.

:roll: Aaaaand she's off.....

Indeed.

Genie, may I give you a bit of advice. Stop, right now. Go to your friend Google and learn a little about the Rroma. You said you wanted a second chance here, well I am giving you one, as well as a bit of friendly advice. You may wish to start here http://www.rroma.org/

If the Roma or Travelers were all like the ones depicted on TLC, genie would be correct. They would be no better then fundies. However, television is very good at presenting stereotypes as if they are true. There are lots of examples, men are shown as neanderthals who act like 12 year olds, wives are bitchy, control freaks who mock their husbands, the working poor are ignorant, and southerners like myself are usually depicted as stupid or racist.

We have to watch tv with a intellectual filter and understand that television producers use these stereotypes because they are lazy.

The Roma and Travelers who are working at jobs, going to school etc would be too boring to present on their show. So, the producers don't seek them out. We are left with families who are extremes in behavior. From the show, we have no idea if these attitudes are changing or how prevalent that they are. I don't think that it is fair to judge the entire culture by the crazy people that they show on the tv.

I understand that Travelers and Roma in Europe have a difficult time with prejudice. It sounds as if they experience severe discrimination that keeps them locked in poverty.

Many Americans don't even know that gypsies still exist and would be surprised to learn that there are any in this country. Because the American Roma on the show, look and sound like the general American population, I don't think that they would experience the same prejudice that an immigrant from the Middle East or Asia would experience.

The show itself might create prejudice in America that didn't exist. It does seem foolish for the American Roma to go on TV. I can see why the Irish Travelers might hope that the show erases prejudice. However, American Roma don't seem to gain much by going on television.

Never would I go on one of TLC's shows. Even if you are normal, the producers will find some way to make you look crazy. There is enough redneck on my side of the family that I don't need it broadcast across the country. :lol: If my family was the representation for an entire culture, I would definitely not go on TV. So why do you think that the American Roma agreed to be on TLC?

If the Roma or Travelers were all like the ones depicted on TLC, genie would be correct. They would be no better then fundies. However, television is very good at presenting stereotypes as if they are true. There are lots of examples, men are shown as neanderthals who act like 12 year olds, wives are bitchy, control freaks who mock their husbands, the working poor are ignorant, and southerners like myself are usually depicted as stupid or racist.

We have to watch tv with a intellectual filter and understand that television producers use these stereotypes because they are lazy.

The Roma and Travelers who are working at jobs, going to school etc would be too boring to present on their show. So, the producers don't seek them out. We are left with families who are extremes in behavior. From the show, we have no idea if these attitudes are changing or how prevalent that they are. I don't think that it is fair to judge the entire culture by the crazy people that they show on the tv.

Yeah, saying that the Roma/Traveler culture doesn't need to be preserved based on a tv show is like saying southern culture doesn't need to be preserved based on Jerry Springer and My Big Fat Redneck Wedding.

That did it. All those references to "gorgers" and how they practice of them makes me sick, and what they have to say about women puts them on the same level as fundies as far as I'm concerned. This culture has no redeeming values and does not need to be preserved. They have teen brides, uneducated kids, ass-backwards views on male/female relationships and marriage are sexists, rude, and crude, destructive. Oh, and the little girls dressed like little hookers (I'm talking about 8 yrs and under) with tons of makeup and dancing like strippers, that defies logic.

Read Debrand's response.

Keep in mind that, living in a place where we don't really see any real, live Southerners, I can point to people around me who would say exactly the same thing about people living in the South - Deliverance and Toddlers and Tiaras and old civil rights footage doesn't paint a pretty picture. If you are about to open your mouth to yell "but we're not all like that!", well, reread what you wrote and think about media stereotypes.

Archived