I thought they were much farther away, too--on the show they make it seem that way. And it's becoming apparent that they're not that different--I think it was just that the old men "Brethren" resented Warren Jeffs become a god king or whatever he was, but aside from the group of old men rather than one old man retaining power, I don't think there's much difference. And the 18-year-old to get married rule is probably just to keep the law off their backs.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought they were much farther away, too--on the show they make it seem that way. And it's becoming apparent that they're not that different--I think it was just that the old men "Brethren" resented Warren Jeffs become a god king or whatever he was, but aside from the group of old men rather than one old man retaining power, I don't think there's much difference. And the 18-year-old to get married rule is probably just to keep the law off their backs.

for me they look very different, i dont know very much about this warren jeffs but i assume that its similar to roman grant in the tv show big love, and the people in cenntenial park look different i mean the girls look happy and marry who they want and there are not child brides.. obviously they are the same religion so they have to be similar in some things

I was just reading the Wikipedia entry on Centennial Park and discovered this sentence, which must have escaped editing:

"Additionally, most members dress in modest, yet modern attire, and blow dogs at 5:15pm."

I didn't know there was a preferred time for that kind of behavior. :lol:

Centennial Park split when Rulon Jeffs stopped promoting men to replace Apostles who died and instated one man rule instead of being advised by his council. He kicked out some prominent and respected member who split and formed Centennial Park, taking other families with them. Families split in this schism, and married daughters who went to Centennial Park with their husbands were pretty much disowned by their families. I think this happened in the early nineties, but I'm writing from memory, so not sure.

Many ex FLDS members say that the culture of Centennial Park is very similar to the FLDS before the Jeffs family took over. That makes me wonder if William and Willie Jessop are going to join their FLDS offshoot to CP, either formally or through intermarriage. They would both certainly have cousins, sisters, aunts and uncles there, possibly brothers and children as well.

for me they look very different, i dont know very much about this warren jeffs but i assume that its similar to roman grant in the tv show big love, and the people in cenntenial park look different i mean the girls look happy and marry who they want and there are not child brides.. obviously they are the same religion so they have to be similar in some things

Warren Jeffs is far far more sinister than Roman Grant in Big Love. The Juniper Creek Compound doesn't come close to the horror of YFZ.

Yeah, I don't think Tiffany and Ezra are ever going to happen. I do think the counsel to have savings and a place to live before marriage is very wise.

Centennial Park split when Rulon Jeffs stopped promoting men to replace Apostles who died and instated one man rule instead of being advised by his council. He kicked out some prominent and respected member who split and formed Centennial Park, taking other families with them. Families split in this schism, and married daughters who went to Centennial Park with their husbands were pretty much disowned by their families. I think this happened in the early nineties, but I'm writing from memory, so not sure.

Many ex FLDS members say that the culture of Centennial Park is very similar to the FLDS before the Jeffs family took over. That makes me wonder if William and Willie Jessop are going to join their FLDS offshoot to CP, either formally or through intermarriage. They would both certainly have cousins, sisters, aunts and uncles there, possibly brothers and children as well.

This is my understanding as well. I think there might be some info about the split in Carolyn Jessop's book Escape. I might be wrong though. I've read every book in print on Mormon polygamy, so I can get them mixed up sometimes.

Now, my takes on tonight's episode:

Why is Rose Marie in such a rush to get married? She is only 18 and the girl who married the convert from Pennsylvania received her revelation at 19, so a girl doesn't have to get married at 18. You know the Brethren are going to pick some gross old man to marry her off to. I mean, doesn't she know anyone of the opposite sex whose's company she enjoys? A teacher at school or even a friend's dad would be better than just some random dude you don't know at all who is probably old enough to be your grandpa.

Hyrum seems like a romantic. I thought he was choking up a little during that little presentation to his new wife. I'm still discerning whether the burning I feel in my breast when I think about an eternity nuzzling Hyrum's eyebrows is a message from Heavenly Father, or merely heartburn.

I feel for Ezra's girlfriend. She is a cute 17 year old girl. They said in this episode that Ezra is a high school drop out. He's not particularly attractive, he doesn't have a job, he lives with his parents and, oh yeah, he's gonna sleep with other women some time in the future. What the hell must her home life be like that she is jumping at this "opportunity"?

Interesting that Michael's first wife said point-blank that it makes financial sense for her to stay home since she is Michael's only legal wife and her working would put them into a higher tax bracket. Whereas the other wives are technically "single mothers" as far as the government is concerned.

This is my understanding as well. I think there might be some info about the split in Carolyn Jessop's book Escape. I might be wrong though. I've read every book in print on Mormon polygamy, so I can get them mixed up sometimes.

Now, my takes on tonight's episode:.

Me too, Mormons, especially early and fundie Mormons, were my first fundie interest and still one of my favourite topics.

Does anyone know if these episodes are likely to show up on YouTube? I'd love to see them, but I'm in Australia, and I never watch television so even if they were shown here I probably wouldn't be aware of it beforehand.

Me too, Mormons, especially early and fundie Mormons, were my first fundie interest and still one of my favourite topics.

Does anyone know if these episodes are likely to show up on YouTube? I'd love to see them, but I'm in Australia, and I never watch television so even if they were shown here I probably wouldn't be aware of it beforehand.

Mine too! I saw the movie Raid at Shortcreek one Saturday afternoon when I was just a kid and I have been fascinated ever since. It stars Helen Hunt and Diane Lane if you haven't seen it. Oh, and the prophet is the dad from Different Strokes.

Here is a link to info about the show. I don't know when it will be on you tube, but other Nat Geo shows seem to show up on You Tube.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... ygamy-usa/

yetanothermeg....I definitely agree with you about nuzzling up against hot Hyrum's hairy chest. It's just begging for my fingers to dance on it. :cracking-up:

Now, my takes on tonight's episode:

Why is Rose Marie in such a rush to get married? She is only 18 and the girl who married the convert from Pennsylvania received her revelation at 19, so a girl doesn't have to get married at 18. You know the Brethren are going to pick some gross old man to marry her off to. I mean, doesn't she know anyone of the opposite sex whose's company she enjoys? A teacher at school or even a friend's dad would be better than just some random dude you don't know at all who is probably old enough to be your grandpa.

I'm wondering about the big rush she's in as well. Although now that we've seen more of her father, I'm starting to guess that maybe she just wants to be away from him? He just comes across as so cold and unfeeling, not to mention controlling. I mean, he says he's going to 'ask' the one wife to go back to work. And then he just pointblank TELLS her she has to go back to work, and he almost seems to enjoy telling her. He gives me the creeps.

Hyrum seems like a romantic. I thought he was choking up a little during that little presentation to his new wife. I'm still discerning whether the burning I feel in my breast when I think about an eternity nuzzling Hyrum's eyebrows is a message from Heavenly Father, or merely heartburn.

There IS something about Hyrum, isn't there? :D

I feel for Ezra's girlfriend. She is a cute 17 year old girl. They said in this episode that Ezra is a high school drop out. He's not particularly attractive, he doesn't have a job, he lives with his parents and, oh yeah, he's gonna sleep with other women some time in the future. What the hell must her home life be like that she is jumping at this "opportunity"?

I'd like to know more about her home life, too. It must be horrific if Ezra looks like a good escape from it. :?

Interesting that Michael's first wife said point-blank that it makes financial sense for her to stay home since she is Michael's only legal wife and her working would put them into a higher tax bracket. Whereas the other wives are technically "single mothers" as far as the government is concerned.

I felt bad for her at the end of that first day the other wife went back to work (I can't remember their names). She tried to keep a positive outlook, but you could tell she was about to cry from frustration after an entire day spent by herself with all those little ones.

I watched last nights episode a little while ago, and I'll be damned. I never would have thought I would agree with much less want to give an amen to Arthur. When he was talking about not being able to live on love, and just generally questioning Ezra's maturity and readiness to be adult enough to get married to Tiffany, I started liking him despite myself. He's growing on me. I know I've made this observation before, but the people from the FLDS sect that always act strange when Michael shows up are likely acting that way not just because he is outside their community, but he has a camera crew with him. I'm sure the producers of the show like to show the uncomfortable interaction, but it just seems unnecessary to provoke someone to me by bringing a camera crew into their environment.

I also find myself kind of liking Arthur at times despite myself, although I'm sure he's as creepy as he is personable. Have to admit that I saved the whole trip to Salt Lake about the car segment to show my son (who has a 19 year old who just wrecked his car after having it about a week and is kind of in the same mindset, more like 14 than 19). We laughed our asses off.

I was doing some investigating. Michael Cawley is the Administrator of Technology for the local school in Centennial Park.

I wonder how they handle it when more than one woman comes in at the same time and says she was told by God she was supposed to marry someone. Especially if the man has no wives. Couldn't a female come in and say "I am supposed to marry (insert guy's name)." and she only says the guy's name because she thinks he's good looking or because his family has money and she has the chance to have a good life.

I think Rose Marie wants to get out of that house because she doesn't want to be stuck in that house, raising all those kids. Is she still in high school? I'm assuming she is still in school. Also, is Kellie quitting school to marry Hyrum?

I'm watching last week's episode right now....

I was under the impression that Kellie and RoseMarie's class is the most recently graduated, not the current Senior class.

Arthur is growing on me. I can see how he should be hard to have as a father, but I believe he is honest, so you would knows where you stand with him. Frankly, Ezra needs a kick in the butt. He and Tiffany are young and stupid. I remember that feeling, but Arthur is right, love doesn't pay the rent.

I meant to post this earlier, but my mind was scrambled due to my newly found like of Arthur. WTH was up with that poor little girl Lydia breaking down while making a salad?! The indoctrination runs incredibly deep with that poor little thing, and Creepy Cawley's nightly readings are messing with that poor child's head. Who here at 15 was so concerned with fertility? It's so sad that these women/girls only see their worth if they are bearing children. A successful, happy, and healthy relationship is so much more than the fruit of your loins. Sad.

anyone else find it very odd that they allow any sort of drinking???

I found that weird mainly because most fundamentalist religions don't allow drinking...not to mention these are fundie mormons. I was totally shocked.

And I wonder how many other young women have been called upon to marry Hyrum?? haha

Edited to add: Poor Tiffani needs someone to giver her a wake up call. She is too young and too naive to fully understand what she is getting into...Puppy love at its best but end of the day she is a teenager and teenagers *tend* to be hormonal doofuses...thank goodness we grow out of it.

Maybe she should spend a week with David Korsesh's wife tending to 9 children alone to see what life with Ezra may have in store for her....

So they didn't show anything about the wedding but do you guys think they consummate the marriage with "The Brethren" present?

anyone else find it very odd that they allow any sort of drinking???

I found that weird mainly because most fundamentalist religions don't allow drinking...not to mention these are fundie mormons. I was totally shocked.

A lot of fundamentalist religions do allow drinking, I think. And from what I understand, the ban on alcohol is mostly an LDS thing. Early Mormons saw the word of wisdom as a guide, not a rule, and would even drink in the temple. I'm not sure when it began to be more strictly enforced.

I was under the impression that Kellie and RoseMarie's class is the most recently graduated, not the current Senior class.

Not that I think the daughters should be depended upon to help the mothers/sister wives, but if RoseMarie is finished with school and not attending college, couldn't she help her Mom out now that she is at home with 9 kids under age five? I will admit I don't think I've seen every episode, so if I am wrong about RoseMarie being in college or taking courses, I apologize.

Is Hyrum's family well off? The house they show him in appears to be rather nice-- higher end windows, doors, finishes. Maybe it's all for TV??

I can't believe RoseMarie handed herself over to the elders so could pray and find her a husband. I'll be sad if she ends up marrying some old geezer with eleventy wives and children. She deserves to have a real life- go to college, have friends, be a young adult, have life experiences, etc. Not be married off to some old geezer so she can have eleventy children and clean the house. Run, RoseMarie, RUN!! NOW!!!

Not that I think the daughters should be depended upon to help the mothers/sister wives, but if RoseMarie is finished with school and not attending college, couldn't she help her Mom out now that she is at home with 9 kids under age five? I will admit I don't think I've seen every episode, so if I am wrong about RoseMarie being in college or taking courses, I apologize.

Is Hyrum's family well off? The house they show him in appears to be rather nice-- higher end windows, doors, finishes. Maybe it's all for TV??

I can't believe RoseMarie handed herself over to the elders so could pray and find her a husband. I'll be sad if she ends up marrying some old geezer with eleventy wives and children. She deserves to have a real life- go to college, have friends, be a young adult, have life experiences, etc. Not be married off to some old geezer so she can have eleventy children and clean the house. Run, RoseMarie, RUN!! NOW!!!

At some point a few days ago when I was reading everything I could find on Centennial Park and its people I had found a little tidbit that said Hyrum's mother was married to a founding member of CP. I could be wrong, but that would likely be Hyrum's father. Maybe Hyrum that puts Hyrum higher in the pecking order. If so that may have also been the reason behind the delay in a girl having her revelation about him. Plenty of other girls may have, they just weren't good enough in the eyes of the brethren.

Anyone else think the brethren are going to pair up Ezra and Rosemarie?

Now that you mention it, that makes sense. So while they are waiting for Ezra to save $10,000 they will inform him that he is also to marry Rosemarie--if Ezra has his sister wife in the hopper before he marries Tiffani hopefully that will turn her off/wake her up and she will get out of Dodge while she can.

I wonder how Arthur gets along with Rosemarie's father.

Archived