Anyone else think the brethren are going to pair up Ezra and Rosemarie?

I hope not. Ezra doesn't seem anywhere near mature enough to be anyone's husband or father. I'm kinda hoping he leaves and goes to SLC with his sister. He just doesn't really seem like a good fit for the lifestyle at CP.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too, Mormons, especially early and fundie Mormons, were my first fundie interest and still one of my favourite topics.

Does anyone know if these episodes are likely to show up on YouTube? I'd love to see them, but I'm in Australia, and I never watch television so even if they were shown here I probably wouldn't be aware of it beforehand.

I've been streaming it on tvmuse from Australia. They seem to get the episodes up quickly for a Nat Geo show.

I think RoseMarie really will make a wonderful wife. She seems sweet, dedicated and really has a rockin' body (I know I've mentioned that already but for a fundamentalist Mormon gal, she dresses herself verry well - like she's been around Marlene and her family). I, too, hope she doesn't marry a man a lot older than her -- like Arthur who mUST have some younger wives we have yet to meet. The verbiage they use - "turn myself in" - sounds so disturbing to me. I think she'd do well as a third or fourth wife.

Not that I think the daughters should be depended upon to help the mothers/sister wives, but if RoseMarie is finished with school and not attending college, couldn't she help her Mom out now that she is at home with 9 kids under age five? I will admit I don't think I've seen every episode, so if I am wrong about RoseMarie being in college or taking courses, I apologize.

Is Hyrum's family well off? The house they show him in appears to be rather nice-- higher end windows, doors, finishes. Maybe it's all for TV??

I can't believe RoseMarie handed herself over to the elders so could pray and find her a husband. I'll be sad if she ends up marrying some old geezer with eleventy wives and children. She deserves to have a real life- go to college, have friends, be a young adult, have life experiences, etc. Not be married off to some old geezer so she can have eleventy children and clean the house. Run, RoseMarie, RUN!! NOW!!!

It seems to me that previous shows mentioned that Rose Marie is (sadly) at home helping the moms. In fact, IICR, it was part of the reason why she wasn't meeting men. I think the day "alone" with Mama Rose was just produced for dramatic effect. Personally, I'd be glad if she wasn't helping. She didn't bring these children into the world, no reason why she should be saddled with them.

I think she'd do well as a third or fourth wife.

Oh, I hope that doesn't happen to her! She deserves a few years off from taking care of other people's kids.

I just can't with Arthur. I'm not saying his opinions on things are 100% wrong, but he just seems so smug and condescending. I can totally see why Ezra would lose his power of hearing every time his dad opens his mouth.

Funny, about Rose Marie and Ezra. I said to my husband that the Brethren should pair her up with Ezra since Tifanni wants to be a beautician, she could wax Rose Marie's rouge eyebrow.

Also, I don't think Arthur has a younger wife. Despite her older appearance, Ezra's mother is only 43, so all those little kids running around could totally be hers.

I really hope they DON'T pair Rose Marie up with Ezra; she comes across as very sweet, sincere and full of common sense, he comes off as her opposite, apathetic and full of the dumb. He really needs about 7 more years of cooking to be ready for marriage. He never spent any time in Arthur's boot camp/Mission/finishing school and he really could have used it. I can totally imagine Arthur throwing boots at him everyday and yelling, "Wake up!"

My question is even if Ezra goes off to NDak and earns $10,000 then what? What will he do for a living once he gets back? Michael is a school teacher and Isaiah drives a truck. I wonder how Arthur earns a paycheck. I also wonder about Hyrum now that he has left Missionary training and has gotten married.

What would be fabulous is if NatGeo could track down someone who has left the compound and ask them some questions. Such as:

1.) How long do most children stay in school?

2.) How many Brethern are there and how do they make their livings?

3.) If one of the women did not want to get married would she be allowed to leave her parents home and live on her own (provided she had a job)?

4.) What is the average age of marriage for the men vs. the women?

5.) Why haven't they built the temple yet?

6.) If an 18 year old marries a 70 year old and he dies soon after is she forced into remarriage? Is she allowed to remarry?

7.) If a wife decides to leave the community is she allowed to take her children with her?

8.) What is the retention rate of the children after they become adults?

9.) We've seen Isaiah's wives wearing make-up and their hair down and we have seen Rose Marie's family where the women wear no make-up and their hair in a tight bun. Are the styles evolving to become contemporary or are Marleen and Becca just aberrations?

10.) Are the Missionary Boys paid by the town to pick up the trash etc. and if so how much?

From doing some FB stalking on Ezra's page, there seem to be quite a few of the women and men who have gone to proper colleges and even more who went to Mohave Community College and some Googling told me that Masada Charter school (in CP) is fairly highly ranked. I haven't looked into it more deeply, but that's something. It is better than most fundies we see. And I think if you look in most areas that are as isolated as their community is, you'd find a decently high percentage of kids who don't graduate high school and don't go to college.

Arthur is growing on me too. I don't blame him for being set in his ways...he is old and he has been completely indoctrinated into the lifestyle and he obviously feels it has worked for him and so it should for other people. I also think that the fact he was one of the founding members of CP may give him a sense that he has fought and sacrificed for the community, and I think that gives anyone an added loyalty. He seems to still love his daughter in SLC even if he doesn't agree or approve of her actions and I'd have thought Ezra would have given him a bunch of reasons to be 'banished', but he still cares. Could all be for the cameras though.

I like that although Kellie is plain, Hyrum didn't act like he is too good for her.

The shallow part of me really wishes she had

worn some makeup on their wedding day, especially some foundation for her cheeks...

I think Hyrum is a good catch. He's attractive but doesn't seem to realize it and he's got a weird voice. He's very committed to religion, family, and community and is a nice guy.

So they didn't show anything about the wedding but do you guys think they consummate the marriage with "The Brethren" present?

No. FLDS members were incredibly shocked when they learned that Warren Jeffs was consummating his marriages in the presence of other wives. Many didn't believe the clear evidence, and those who did split (William Jessop and his group). Sex is meant to be sacred and private.

To the person who was surprised about them drinking - they closely follow the original teachings of Joseph Smith, and he drank.

I would have "testified" a long time ago to marry Hyrum. He's a hottie.

Arthur makes me think he's a little physical when there aren't cameras rolling. Maybe smacks the kids/wives around a bit.

And RoseMarie's dad gives me the hebbie jebbies. yuck.

worn some makeup on their wedding day, especially some foundation for her cheeks...

I think Hyrum is a good catch. He's attractive but doesn't seem to realize it and he's got a weird voice. He's very committed to religion, family, and community and is a nice guy.

So do they want to have more wives and whatnot?

Guest LilaFowler

The shallow part of me wants to groom Rose Marie's eyebrows and give her a new hairstyle. She is a sweetheart though. Love her.

I thought it was odd that Rose Marie said she had never worn pants or a short skirt when there's an old picture of her in shorts on Facebook.

I really hope they DON'T pair Rose Marie up with Ezra; she comes across as very sweet, sincere and full of common sense, he comes off as her opposite, apathetic and full of the dumb. He really needs about 7 more years of cooking to be ready for marriage. He never spent any time in Arthur's boot camp/Mission/finishing school and he really could have used it. I can totally imagine Arthur throwing boots at him everyday and yelling, "Wake up!"

My question is even if Ezra goes off to NDak and earns $10,000 then what? What will he do for a living once he gets back? Michael is a school teacher and Isaiah drives a truck. I wonder how Arthur earns a paycheck. I also wonder about Hyrum now that he has left Missionary training and has gotten married.

What would be fabulous is if NatGeo could track down someone who has left the compound and ask them some questions. Such as:

1.) How long do most children stay in school?

2.) How many Brethern are there and how do they make their livings?

3.) If one of the women did not want to get married would she be allowed to leave her parents home and live on her own (provided she had a job)?

4.) What is the average age of marriage for the men vs. the women?

5.) Why haven't they built the temple yet?

6.) If an 18 year old marries a 70 year old and he dies soon after is she forced into remarriage? Is she allowed to remarry?

7.) If a wife decides to leave the community is she allowed to take her children with her?

8.) What is the retention rate of the children after they become adults?

9.) We've seen Isaiah's wives wearing make-up and their hair down and we have seen Rose Marie's family where the women wear no make-up and their hair in a tight bun. Are the styles evolving to become contemporary or are Marleen and Becca just aberrations?

10.) Are the Missionary Boys paid by the town to pick up the trash etc. and if so how much?

I don't think Isaiah drives a truck- I think he works in an oil job in North Dakota. I think that Ezra is going to be considering the same type of work in the season finale.

1) I think most of the kids stay in school through high school.

2) I can't speak to specific members of the Brethren, but I do know that some of the men of CP are in professional positions in Southern Utah companies.

3) No clue, my suspicions are this doesn't happen too often. Indoctrination and isolation tend to work more often than not. Did you see that 15 year old friend of Rose Marie crying about getting married and how much she wants marriage and kids? Ezra's sister would be an example of someone who left. I'd imagine they aren't on the best terms with their parents and are discouraged from coming around frequently lest they lead a younger sibling away.

9) I think it probably varies and is closely related to whether or not the woman is a CP convert or a descendent of someone from the original breakaway from the FLDS-Colorado City. Michael Cawley is originally from the Colorado City breakaway group, so it makes sense that he and his wives would follow similar FLDS style fashion sensibilities. Did you see the converts that went to dinner at the Thomson house? They looked more like mainstream LDS folks with modest modern fashion. Plus Marleen works in St. George, so she probably works with gentiles and as a result dresses like a mainstream person to fit in.

I get the impression that Arthur is not well off compared to other families. It wouldn't surprise me if he is paid by the brethren for running the missionary program and if that pay doesn't amount to much.

I seriously can't get enough of this show and really hope that NatGeo renews it for another season, because man these folks are hard to internet snoop on. They certainly don't have a huge presence, which makes me think that maybe NatGeo isn't giving their real names in all cases.

I want to know what the real story with Marleen and Becca is. Those two seem absolutely miserable. Not that I blame them! :(

I wouldn't mess with Marlene. She seems like she has balls of steel.

Lol. I agree. Girlfriend is like 30 years old, has had five kids and acts like it's NBD. On the other hand though, she also looks semi-depressed and resigned to life with a younger wife around. :(

I thought it was odd that Rose Marie said she had never worn pants or a short skirt when there's an old picture of her in shorts on Facebook.

I like how she likes several Hunger Games pages on FB :)

LOL And Kellie, Hyrum's quiet little bride, likes The Big Bang Theory, ACDC, and "Adult Jokes 18+"

1.) How long do most children stay in school? All children have to go to school and graduating from High School is goal for everyone in the community. Some drop out like Ezra, however it is looked down on and are encouraged to go back, also if they do not graduate from HS, girls can not get married and boys can not enter the missonary program so that limits their ability to get a good wife. If the Brethern believe that the person has the ability and desire they are encouraged to attend community college and then college. They need teachers, medical professional and profesional to support the community. Marleen have a BS in Business Admin and works as a Office Manager for a Small Business in St George. There a number of women from the community that have nursing degrees, Two work for us at the clinic, also one of our professional midwives is from CP, none of them are first wives. Micheal's second wife has degree in education and teaches at the charter school.

2.) How many Brethern are there and how do they make their livings? There are 12, they either own their business (construction, trucking company, distributation company, or work in the community as a professional. One is the VP/Branch Manager of a bank in St George, another one is a physician.

3.) If one of the women did not want to get married would she be allowed to leave her parents home and live on her own (provided she had a job)? No, there are a number of unmarried women in the community however they either live with their parents or a relative house.

4.) What is the average age of marriage for the men vs. the women? I can't answer that one

5.) Why haven't they built the temple yet? Because they do not have the money

6.) If an 18 year old marries a 70 year old and he dies soon after is she forced into remarriage? Is she allowed to remarry? Yes she would reassigned to another man, either by the brethern or she will ask for someone because the name came to her in prayer. The other thing that happens if the first couple of wives are old, then one of the younger wives will be assigned to live with them and take care of them until they pass.

7.) If a wife decides to leave the community is she allowed to take her children with her? No the children belong to the men.

8.) What is the retention rate of the children after they become adults? About 60-70% follow the Polygamy life style, some move to the community outside of CP and live Mormon lifestyle but do not follow the polygamy lifestyle. I would say a very small number leave the area totally and Mormonism. I have lived in the area for 30+ years and I have only heard of less than 10 that have totally rebelled and cut off ties to the community and their family.

9.) We've seen Isaiah's wives wearing make-up and their hair down and we have seen Rose Marie's family where the women wear no make-up and their hair in a tight bun. Are the styles evolving to become contemporary or are Marleen and Becca just aberrations? Each family is allowed to set their own rules regarding clothing and appreances within the guidelines that the Brethern have set.

10.) Are the Missionary Boys paid by the town to pick up the trash etc. and if so how much? Yes, whatever is the minmum wage is. However, they have to give back 10% of the wages to the church

Regarding what Hyrum does for a living now that he left the missionay program and has a new wife- at the present time he is working for the CP Construction company. He is trying to get on with the a ND company that many of the men are working for now. They leave the community for 3-4 weeks at a time work in the oil fields then come home for two weeks. They make very good money. Have not seen Ezra around for about a month so I think that he finally got on with the company. Arthur is paid by the community to run the missionary program, prior to his health issues he ran the CP Construction Company, his oldest son from his first wife is running it now.

On another note not everyone in CP are happy about the TV show, that is why I don't ask the ones that work for us anything about the people that are in the TV show. Out of 65 employees 21 live in CP. They keep teasing the Count about joining the community his comment is "I have hard time taking care of one wife why would I want anymore, you are only asking for more trouble"

Wow. Thank you so much for answering my questions! Although you might want to go back and bold your answers because at first glance it just looks like you are quoting.

The other thing that happens if the first couple of wives are old, then one of the younger wives will be assigned to live with them and take care of them until they pass.

I'm sure that is nice for the old ladies, not much of a life for the young widow. :(

If a wife decides to leave the community is she allowed to take her children with her? No the children belong to the men.

I figured that having read several of the recent books on the FLDS, but I had hoped it had changed. Can the women not sue for custody? This has to be a large part of why the women stay sweet.

10.) Are the Missionary Boys paid by the town to pick up the trash etc. and if so how much? Yes, whatever is the minmum wage is. However, they have to give back 10% of the wages to the church

So no chance of moving out of their parent's house or saving up to buy their own home.

The good news is that they have figured out it is better for the women to be educated-- especially considering that more of the wives have to work now. It is amazing how deep the indoctrination goes if the women can go off to college and yet still prefer to come back home to a life as a plural wife.

LOL And Kellie, Hyrum's quiet little bride, likes The Big Bang Theory, ACDC, and "Adult Jokes 18+"

Yay! It's nice to know they have outside influences, and aren't completely afraid of the real world.

Archived