I watched part of it last night. Arthur is one big pain in the ass. I have a feeling this man loves the sound of his own voice and there isn't anything on this earth he doesn't have an opinion about and his is the only correct one. Most of the men in this community are seriously creepy but I did enjoy Ezra tangling with his dad and found it very interesting that his oldest child, a girl, has moved five hours away to Salt Lake City to get away from Artie. I suspect that if Ezra was anyone else's son in Centennial Park he would have been run off by now.

The undercurrents of tension between Becca and Marlene are very interesting to observe, especially when Marlena claims that she wouldn't have wanted to marry Isaiah if he hadn't wanted multiple wives. Lots of jealousy going on IMO.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved how Ezra was just a normal whiny teenager. Of course his dad can't know best. :-) it was a normal interaction. I don't under stand why they went to the park in the fdls community, and then seemed surprised when they tried to run then off.

One thing I noticed is that Arthur looks a lot like Thomas Monson, the leader of the SLC based Mormon church of which all polygamist groups broke away from.

I loved how Ezra was just a normal whiny teenager. Of course his dad can't know best. :-) it was a normal interaction. I don't under stand why they went to the park in the fdls community, and then seemed surprised when they tried to run then off.

The scenes with Ezra were funny to me because, yup, his dad might be a blowhard but on the subject of Ezra's truck Arthur was in the right.

1. Ezra buys $500. rims for an old beater. Hey honey, the appearance is the last thing you should worry about.

2. Ezra's truck is impounded because when it stopped working, Ezra just leaves it on the side of the road.

3. Ezra is told the name of the impound place and given an address but he doesn't write them down.

4. He lets two more weeks go by. Wake up! The costs continue to accrue.

5. He doesn't know how much it is going to cost until they are on their way-- turns out it is more than he can afford.

6. Oh well...he can just get his personal belongings out. Except he forgot to bring the keys.

Jesus.

I think they went to the park to get something interesting to film. The idea was that they were just visiting grandma, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Crawley knew (or hoped) that something would happen. I feel sorry for his children; I realize they have to pinch pennies so they can't all go to the movies or out to eat but they can afford to drive their 3 SUVs 1.5 hours to Colorado City to visit grandma. So the kids get a picnic in the park which looked hot and dusty. Later the kids get a long hike up a dusty hill filled with cactus and snakes, ending with a squeeze between barbed wire, so that they can view the sight of the future temple. Followed by a religious pop quiz. Golly, we're having some fun now!

Was anyone else shocked at how old Ezra's mom looked? If her oldest daughter is 20 that would make her (probably) 38. She looked to be in her 60's. And by the way, if Arthur is 64 either he didn't marry until he was in his 40's or else he has children older than Ezra's sister. I agree with the previous poster that Arthur probably has more wives and children then he is willing to share on TV.

I found it interesting how Rose-Marie said she has never been into boys. I know she would not understand vernacular trends to know that would have another meaning, but she has never been attracted to a guy (in a town with Hyrum, let me add) and she says she's willing to marry a 70 year old. I really feel bad for her. I think she might be lesbian or asexual and she does know it because those are concepts unknown to her.

Possible. She just really reminded me of a number of girls I knew and was friends with in college who were late-bloomers to dating, majored in engineering where they were wildly successful socially with those guys and in that demographic where the men way outnumbered the women. She would fit in well at a school with a proud nerdy contingent. Too bad she's being pressured to find a lifetime mate now...

Was anyone else shocked at how old Ezra's mom looked? If her oldest daughter is 20 that would make her (probably) 38. She looked to be in her 60's. And by the way, if Arthur is 64 either he didn't marry until he was in his 40's or else he has children older than Ezra's sister. I agree with the previous poster that Arthur probably has more wives and children then he is willing to share on TV.

His sister mentioned not being her father's oldest child but being her mother's oldest so I would assume Arthur has a wife or two that are older then her. Also the women all look older in my opinion then their ages. My guess is that it's due to the constant pregnancies.

His sister mentioned not being her father's oldest child but being her mother's oldest so I would assume Arthur has a wife or two that are older then her. Also the women all look older in my opinion then their ages. My guess is that it's due to the constant pregnancies.

Constant pregnancies, no or little makeup, and I'm guessing that lot are fairly inbred over several generations.

I got the feeling when they were in the park having their picnic that the Colorado City people were not just reacting to the family, but the camera crew. Warren Jeffs has been in the news and is, frankly, notorious, so maybe his followers aren't to keen on cameras? What did they think would happen? :roll:

New episode tonight. It looks like Hyrum's woman has found him and Ezra is going to go before the elders to ask permission to marry his girlfriend. My money says Ezra will be turned down and will follow his sister (who doesn't want to get married because as the oldest daughter she started raising kids at age six) to Salt Lake City.

I watched part of it last night. Arthur is one big pain in the ass. I have a feeling this man loves the sound of his own voice and there isn't anything on this earth he doesn't have an opinion about and his is the only correct one. Most of the men in this community are seriously creepy but I did enjoy Ezra tangling with his dad and found it very interesting that his oldest child, a girl, has moved five hours away to Salt Lake City to get away from Artie. I suspect that if Ezra was anyone else's son in Centennial Park he would have been run off by now.

The undercurrents of tension between Becca and Marlene are very interesting to observe, especially when Marlena claims that she wouldn't have wanted to marry Isaiah if he hadn't wanted multiple wives. Lots of jealousy going on IMO.

I love the sound of Arthur's voice. I think he sounds exactly like Jack Nicholson. I hate the messages that come out of his mouth, but I love the sound of his voice. LOL!

ETA: I think Arthur treated Ezra's gf very nicely. But he's so full of shit. As soon as they left the house he was trashing them. She's nice, but we teach kids to reserve their feelings. "They need to sit down and consider some things . . . .so that common sense can prevail." Blah, blah, blah . . .

Constant pregnancies, no or little makeup, and I'm guessing that lot are fairly inbred over several generations.

I was thinking the same thing. Rose Marie's mom is the same age as me and I look a whole lot younger than her. Perhaps it's her hairstyle and clothing and bearing eleventy children. I couldn't imagine having an 18 year old- even though it would be very possible (I would have been 20 when the child was born) but I don't feel old enough to have an 18 year old.

The whole Cat and Mouse game at the Victorian dance was soooo immature. That would have been great if you were 10. But not when you're an adult.

I'm getting caught up on the episodes right now. Hyrum just got the call about Kelly who was told by God that they should be married. If I married a person I thought about a lot, I'd be married to one of my gay best friends. He is fabulous and I'd never leave the house looking like a hot mess. Also, our house would be immaculate-- because I swear I was a frat boy in a former life.

From watching tonight's episode it appears Arthur has two wives. He is 63, his first wife is 60 and they apparently have grown children who all live outside of the home. His second wife is 43 and she is the mother of all those kids in the home, looked like 10 of them at least.

And the other guy, the one who is the dad of the chick with the pulled back eyebrows, he is only 40ish, his three wives are 38, 33 and 29 IIRC and they all look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay older.

Arthur has a point - Ezra has no business getting married. It's not even clear he has a job. He wants a farm, but can't remember his gloves to load a horse in a trailer. And his girlfriend has no idea what she is getting into.

The FLDS-type hair on Arthur's wives definitely make them look older than they are, as well.

Arthur's daughter in SLC summed up all the fundy girls from large families when she said she broke away because she was just tired of looking after children (since she was about six). And as much as Rosemarie's parents want her to find her "revelation," the young woman can rarely leave the house to socialize since she's helping run the freaking house and 18 or so siblings. Aren't there THREE wives supposed to be raising the kids?

her father, Crawley, would look so much less creepy if he got rid of the David Koresh style glasses.

So Hyrum and Kelly get the word from the Brethren (so much for the woman making the decision), have their first meeting, and will be getting married in two weeks? An 18 year-old girl getting married to a guy she has known for two weeks. The only difference from FLDS I guess is that they wait until the 18th birthday to keep things legal.

I think their PR move is going to backfire.

Arthur has a point - Ezra has no business getting married. It's not even clear he has a job. He wants a farm, but can't remember his gloves to load a horse in a trailer. And his girlfriend has no idea what she is getting into.

I agree on all of those, but Hyrum doesn't appear to have a job or a home and he and Kelly (who have apparently just met) are getting married in two weeks. Double standard at play, it seems to me. If Ezra had toed the line, done the missionary work and waited for Tiffani to choose him, I don't know if Arthur would object. BTW, I totally agree that most 19 year olds are way too immature to marry and Ezra certainly falls in this category from all appearances.

I agree on all of those, but Hyrum doesn't appear to have a job or a home and he and Kelly (who have apparently just met) are getting married in two weeks. Double standard at play, it seems to me. If Ezra had toed the line, done the missionary work and waited for Tiffani to choose him, I don't know if Arthur would object. BTW, I totally agree that most 19 year olds are way too immature to marry and Ezra certainly falls in this category from all appearances.

Tiffani and her family are not part of the Polygamy Community, they part of the mainstream Mormon community that is outside of the Polygamy community. Both communities attend the same schools, kids interact all the time and some do marry into the community like the two young wives on the show both of them came from that community.

This show is a total PR event to clean up their image and also to show that they are totally seperate from the FLDS. Mainstream Mormon still do not view them in a postive light and would have rather not have the show on.

All the wives that are in their 40's are near my age (47) and I swear they look older than my 68 yo mother.

Arthur has a point - Ezra has no business getting married. It's not even clear he has a job. He wants a farm, but can't remember his gloves to load a horse in a trailer, or ride for that matter. And his girlfriend has no idea what she is getting into.

In Ezra's defense...you normally don't need gloves to load a horse into a trailer. Arthur was a total asshat in the way he was handling the horses....he was in a mood to begin with and the horses picked up on it. You don't manhandle an animal into a metal box. He was taking his frustrations with Ezra out on Biscuit.

Now if they were planning to ride out and fix fences or something, or it was freezing, then yes, gloves would have been nice.

I'm not sure if the editors are trying to throw michael under the bus- I suspect he's being presented for the douche he is-, but when he was reading to the family and said "you women will never become one unless you become one through the law of celestial and plural marriage", "monogamy has produced a class of women who have in their minds eye the design of the adversary", and the cherry on the cake"you women who oppose this law will see the time when your daughters walk the streets like common harlots"......pissed me off. Way to make monog's feel comfortable and accepting of your lifestyle/religion :roll: This guy is a just all around klassay though: he told his wife on her birthday that she had to go back to work and that they were 1 thousand bucks over budget, and then it looked like the poor thing didn't even get to order the cake she wanted. For her birthday. Stay classy, Michael. I wonder what is the appropriate age for me to buy my daughter her first pair of tart's trotters (heels) to start her stroll? :think:

I'm not sure if the editors are trying to throw michael under the bus- I suspect he's being presented for the douche he is-, but when he was reading to the family and said "you women will never become one unless you become one through the law of celestial and plural marriage", "monogamy has produced a class of women who have in their minds eye the design of the adversary", and the cherry on the cake"you women who oppose this law will see the time when your daughters walk the streets like common harlots"......pissed me off. Way to make monog's feel comfortable and accepting of your lifestyle/religion :roll: This guy is a just all around klassay though: he told his wife on her birthday that she had to go back to work and that they were 1 thousand bucks over budget, and then it looked like the poor thing didn't even get to order the cake she wanted. For her birthday. Stay classy, Michael. I wonder what is the appropriate age for me to buy my daughter her first pair of tart's trotters (heels) to start her stroll? :think:

The book that Michael was reading out of is the orginal Joseph's Smith Doctrine & Covenants of 1850, where polygamy was given as a right to Mormon's, because Mori came and told him one night. He just added the cherry on the cake statement, rest is straight from the text. They follow the Mormon religion of 1850's. I am waiting for them to start reading out of his Pearl of Great Price, that one is a real interesting. They use all three of them to run the community and plus a little Bible.

The book that Michael was reading out of is the orginal Joseph's Smith Doctrine & Covenants of 1850, where polygamy was given as a right to Mormon's, because Mori came and told him one night. He just added the cherry on the cake statement, rest is straight from the text. They follow the Mormon religion of 1850's. I am waiting for them to start reading out of his Pearl of Great Price, that one is a real interesting. They use all three of them to run the community and plus a little Bible.

Need to correct the dates Doctrine & Covenants was written in 1838 and they follow the Mormon religion of 1830, I gave them 20 years in the future. Sorry about that.

Good grief. No wonder the women stay. If I was taught that, I'd be scared of going to hell and put up with a lot.

her father, Crawley, would look so much less creepy if he got rid of the David Koresh style glasses.

Totally David Koresh!

I was also struck by that line about monogamy turning wives into adversaries. Hmmm, That sounds like a man who doesn't like to hear anything out of his wives lips except "yes, father" and "How high?" Creepy subjugation. And interesting that wives who live in plural mariiage are not seen as adversaries-- I would have thought having multiple wives mean the women outvote the man, but I guess having multiple wives means the individual wife is demoted in value.

And really all that whining from Michael about his expenses made my eyes roll-- dude, if you didn't have 3 wives and 18 kids maybe you wouldn't have $1000.00 grocery bills! I think it is interesting that the old FLDS had the extra wives living on welfare and living in abject poverty, the new polygamists have all the wives except one going to work in order to keep up the middle class lifestyle.

By the way did anyone catch that the Cawley family (22 people) do 32 loads of laundry a week? The Duggars (21 people inc. Mary) claim to do 70-- either the Duggars are a hell of lot cleaner or (more probably) a lot less organized.

So Hyrum is done with his missionary work...and major coincidence!...Kelly is moved by God to marry him. Huh. What great timing. She's another one with a great round face and flat eyes-- just like Rose Marie and most of the Sister Wives (including the ladies in the CPAC.) Inbreeding? At any rate she looked 14 rather than 18-- compare her to Tiffany. I know a lot of that is make up and hair, but Kelly just looks very young to me. I think she has a very rocky road ahead of her-- it ain't going to be all sparkles and rainbows.

Speaking of Tiffany, I would really love to hear from her parents. She seems very infatuated with Ezra but if I was her mother I would send her to NY or California for a year of college and then see if her feelings have changed. She claims she is all right with the idea of the polygamy lifestyle (and kudos to Ezra for laying his cards on the table and pretending he has no plans for more wives in the future) but how much of that is hormones speaking for her? It's one thing to marry a handsome young guy when you are 18, it's another to find out 8 years down the road when you are older and frumpier after 6 kids that your husband is marrying a cute little 18 year...and oh, by the way you have to go back to work so that the new bride can get pregnant and stay home playing mommy. Don't do it, Tiffany!

Archived